Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 03:33:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Question about broadband connection
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about broadband connection  (Read 2035 times)
HamsterDemocracy
« on: October 16, 2006, 09:58:14 PM »

I've got a question. I have 5 MB Comcast service (digital cable). When I first ordered this knowing nothing about broadband I figured it meant 5 MB/second speed. However when I download I usually max out around 200 KB/sec, sometimes more and sometimes less. Can someone who knows the technical side of these things explain to me why it's 5 MB cable if the speed you get isn't even a MB per second?

I'm also working with a wireless router. I have DC++ and had to forward the ports for it to work. I can usually get around 300 kb/sec on there because of that.
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 10:09:52 PM »

I am not an expert but I can tell you cable speed is never constant-

Here is an online test you can use to determine your current speed-

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 02:03:17 AM »

Well, the connection is most propably a 5 megabit connection, which is nowhere near a 5 megabyte connection. It's actually 5/8 megabytes, which is what you see when you're downloading. The overall downloading speed has also other factors besides your connectionspeed so it could be about that as well.

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
HamsterDemocracy
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 02:57:11 AM »

Well, the connection is most propably a 5 megabit connection, which is nowhere near a 5 megabyte connection. It's actually 5/8 megabytes, which is what you see when you're downloading. The overall downloading speed has also other factors besides your connectionspeed so it could be about that as well.

Thanks guys. That explains it!  Grin
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 09:19:35 AM »

I am not an expert but I can tell you cable speed is never constant-

Here is an online test you can use to determine your current speed-

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Exactly that page i was going to post  ok

Remember that everytime you download you are not downloading in Mbps but in MBps that means that your throughput has to be divided by 8 from you 5Mbps

No man can be my equal
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 10:44:33 AM »

Thanks guys. That explains it!? Grin

In addition to this, to explain the "other factors", you have to remember that every server you connect to on the Internet is also connected at it's own speed as well.  Often times, smaller sites are connected on Frame Relays (T1's), which have a max burstable speed of 1.5 Mb (Megabits), which means between you and all the other people currently accessing the site, you'll never get more than 1.5 Mb total.

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 09:29:31 PM »

I'm getting 21078kbps (yes 5 digits, I had to take it twice to make sure it was accurate) on my download, 323kbps upload.

RR how old is your computer, I know Comcast is pretty consistant with their speeds. Also, I think going wireless may slow it down a little, but not that much.
HamsterDemocracy
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 12:09:32 AM »

I'm getting 21078kbps (yes 5 digits, I had to take it twice to make sure it was accurate) on my download, 323kbps upload.

RR how old is your computer, I know Comcast is pretty consistant with their speeds. Also, I think going wireless may slow it down a little, but not that much.

I'm getting 5100 d/l speed when I do that test posted above, and about 300 upload.

My computer's brand new and fully loaded - it wouldn't be a problem on the hardware end.

It's possible my house has a weak connection, they had to put a wire underground for it to work because my house's pre-existing wiring was from the 1930s. They ran it out the back of my house underground but it's possible it still isn't the strongest it would be in an urban setting.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: