Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 06:15:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228122 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  CBGB's Closing
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: CBGB's Closing  (Read 4278 times)
illusionone
VIP

I never wanted you to be so full of anger. . . .

« on: October 13, 2006, 09:27:42 AM »

Is this where Guns played in 88?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061009/ap_en_ot/cbgb_s_shutdown_5

Wake up. . . .time to die
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 09:29:02 AM »

ummm... this has been in the news for like the past 2 years. 
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 09:32:40 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_famous_acts_that_have_played_CBGB
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 09:43:12 AM »

It is.

It's also the place on Duff's Tshirt in a couple of the older GnR vids (SCOM and PC, I think...although it could be Patience rather than one of those...)

The whole situation is a big clusterfuck, and it's sad that the landlords for the space are such complete asses.

Hilly, last I knew, was looking for another site to reopen the club at.? I haven't really heard anything since then, though I've seen reports that he may have found a place.

Edit: Unfotunately for NYC, it sounds like Hilly is taking the club to Vegas....what a huge loss for the city, whether they know it or not.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 09:50:31 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
meanmachine73
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 10:04:50 AM »

I agree with the last post. I am from the UK, visited NY a couple of times and always made the visit to CBGB's. Saw a couple of bands there, the decor is amazing. Absolutely priceless, there is no way a designer could try to recreate CBGB's in another venue, neither should they try. Maybe it would be better just to close. Moving it to Vegas will give it a hard rock cafe type of vibe... Nothing in comparison to CBGB's New York.

I did find the place very expensive though, cover charge and beers were very expensive. Kind of a museum feel, looking at the tiny stage and thinking of all the great bangs that have played there from the Ramones to GN'R and so many in between.

I am sure for a lot of bands, playing CBGB's was a real treat.

Keep em under your wheels.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 10:43:56 AM »

I agree with the last post. I am from the UK, visited NY a couple of times and always made the visit to CBGB's. Saw a couple of bands there, the decor is amazing. Absolutely priceless, there is no way a designer could try to recreate CBGB's in another venue, neither should they try. Maybe it would be better just to close. Moving it to Vegas will give it a hard rock cafe type of vibe... Nothing in comparison to CBGB's New York.

I did find the place very expensive though, cover charge and beers were very expensive. Kind of a museum feel, looking at the tiny stage and thinking of all the great bangs that have played there from the Ramones to GN'R and so many in between.

I am sure for a lot of bands, playing CBGB's was a real treat.

From what I've heard (and it's not much...just finding it out now), Hilly is going to strip the club basically down to it's drywall and take EVERYTHING with him to Vegas where it will all go back up.

But I agree...it just won't be the same.

Together again,
GunsNCrowes
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 11:04:17 AM »

From what I hear there are going to be SLOT MACHINES in the new place.  I can't see how this will be the same, but what can you do... no
BKinNYC
Rocker

Worrying's a waste of my time.

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 11:11:10 AM »

It is.

It's also the place on Duff's Tshirt in a couple of the older GnR vids (SCOM and PC, I think...although it could be Patience rather than one of those...)

The whole situation is a big clusterfuck, and it's sad that the landlords for the space are such complete asses.

Hilly, last I knew, was looking for another site to reopen the club at.? I haven't really heard anything since then, though I've seen reports that he may have found a place.

Edit: Unfotunately for NYC, it sounds like Hilly is taking the club to Vegas....what a huge loss for the city, whether they know it or not.

Hey pilferk - I agree with you - it's a big clusterfuck.  I would say that the landlord is a dick, but the owners have basically blown off the rent for a long time, with no repercussions.  So blame can be attributed to both sides.
snead hearn
Rocker

LORD OF THE BARNYARD

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 11:31:11 AM »

To clarify, Guns did NOT play at/in CBGB's, the actual venue. It was next door at CB's Gallery. There's a difference. Kind of like First Avenue vs. 7th Ave. Entry in Minneapolis.

Even though there's posed photos of the original 5 in the actual venue, they did not play that acoustic set there.

On a personal note, as a lifelong Noo Yawker, and a slightly matured rocker, going to that shithole for the past 20 years, you can't help but get a bit misty over this. It's the end of an era.  beer

May 9, 1988 Felt Forum, NYC
December 5, 2002 Madison Square Garden, NYC
May 17, 2006 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
RJ1221
Rocker

5 dolla Spock bill!

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 11:33:19 AM »

i saw some guy at my school wearing a CBGB t-shirt (like Duff's)....i knew i saw it from somewhere before
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 11:39:42 AM »

Hey pilferk - I agree with you - it's a big clusterfuck.? I would say that the landlord is a dick, but the owners have basically blown off the rent for a long time, with no repercussions.? So blame can be attributed to both sides.

Not exactly true....it's what the landlords claim, but it's not what the courts found.

Hilly has paid his rent. ?The courts actually decided, back in '05, that the landlords were NOT due the 300k in back rent they claimed had never been paid. ?The more recent bone of contention that landed them in court had to do with the fact the landlords claimed he hadn't paid ALL his rent in about 10 years. ?Come to find out, that's because the landlords both a) didn't notify him of increases in the agreed upon manner or in any sort of legally binding manner, for that matter, and b) didn't fix things they were supposed to fix, when notified and given a reasonable amount of time to do so, so Hilly paid to fix them (things like heat, running water, etc...things that needed to work or the club would get shut down)...and deducted the amount from his rent (and sent along receipts to prove it). ?When the court was done reviewing everything, looking at all the documentation, etc...they found that Hilly was in arrears by a paltry amount...something less than 1 full months rent..and that he was right about just about everything in his claims and counterclaims. ?And the courts refused to evict him because of that, and also didn't hold him liable for MOST of the 91k the landlords claimed he owed.

The thing is, though, his lease was up regardless. ?And you can't, legally, compel someone to renew your lease if they don't want to. ?And the landlords didn't want to. ?So Hilly had to leave.

What it comes down to, in the end, is that Hilly signed a 12 year deal at about 20k a month back in 93. ?Today, the property could easily rent for double that, if not more, due to the revitilization of the area. ?The whole surrounding area was a dump...mostly flophouses...when CBGB's opened but is now a thriving commercial distrtict..something that's really only come about in the past 7 or 8 years. ?About 6 years ago, the landlords decided they thought they could get more money for the site, and started trying to evict Hilly. ?They failed, with the courts always finding in Hilly's favor. ? He's stayed right up until his lease has expired, and then some.

Some links on the issues:

http://www.punknews.org/article/13436

http://www.punknews.org/article/13733

PS: Just as an aside:  Sirius Satellite Radio, on the Disorder Channel, is going to broadcast the final CBGB show at 9 PM on Sunday.  If you've got Sirius, turn the dial off of Howard's channels and give it a listen
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 11:48:40 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 01:21:09 PM »

i think guns played there in 87...

but this is truly sad! i'm glad i got to be there before it is gone! Cry

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
demonscars
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 02:31:51 PM »

PS: Just as an aside:  Sirius Satellite Radio, on the Disorder Channel, is going to broadcast the final CBGB show at 9 PM on Sunday.  If you've got Sirius, turn the dial off of Howard's channels and give it a listen

Fuck listening to it on the radio, I'll actually be at the show.  Its going to be Patti Smith.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 02:36:29 PM »

It is.

Hilly, last I knew, was looking for another site to reopen the club at.  I haven't really heard anything since then, though I've seen reports that he may have found a place.

Its total BS they were allowed to shut it down/move it.  Its really a historical landmark in my book.  The city should have just taken it over or something.  Rock gets no respect Sad

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2006, 04:06:21 PM »

PS: Just as an aside:? Sirius Satellite Radio, on the Disorder Channel, is going to broadcast the final CBGB show at 9 PM on Sunday.? If you've got Sirius, turn the dial off of Howard's channels and give it a listen

Fuck listening to it on the radio, I'll actually be at the show.? Its going to be Patti Smith.

*Sigh*...I wish I was gonna be...but family commitments (that new 2 week old little baby daughter, especially) just isnt' going to allow it.

So I'll make due with the Sirius broadcast.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2006, 04:08:18 PM »

Its total BS they were allowed to shut it down/move it.? Its really a historical landmark in my book.? The city should have just taken it over or something.? Rock gets no respect Sad

If Hilly had kept up the fight, they may have gotten it done...but it was going to be an uphill, expensive fight.

So, he agreed to drop his countersuits against the landlords, and stop trying to get it labeled a historical landmark, in exchange for the extra 14 months on his original lease.  That gave him time to find a new place (which, unfortunately, IMHO, is Vegas) and prep to leave on his terms, rather than his landlords.

Together again,
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2006, 04:17:30 PM »

The closing of CBGBs will be a sad day for NYC for sure... no
basktqase
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2006, 07:34:45 PM »

I live in the NY area and had the understanding that yes they are closing the NY club, but they are in fact moving somewhere else to another venue in the city as well as opening up a las vegas club.? I am almost postitive that i read this somewhere, but I can't find the source at this time.
Spedgear
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2006, 01:15:30 AM »

There was talk about moving it to Vegas from tv news reports in early August though staff had heard speculations that it was going somewhere other than NYC.

I think the last live act playing at the CBGB gallery is Oct 14th...not sure of CBGB's itself..the 15th is a final goodbye according to the website.

Who'd win 1991 Axl vs 2006 Axl ??
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2006, 01:26:52 AM »

it will be missed im sure.

the one an only horsey !
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: