Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 04:13:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Darkness
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Darkness  (Read 33192 times)
Jonathan
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2005, 03:20:02 PM »

Have you listened to the lyrics Jonathan or are you going by just what you have seen?
The video makes so much more sense when you know what the song is about.

It certainly explains why they shot the video in the snow!? hihi

Yes, I have listened to the lyrics! But I still think the video is super stupid and I still think they're crap!

« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 05:36:54 PM by Jonathan » Logged
RichardNixon
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2005, 05:55:22 PM »

From allmusic
by Heather Phares
3 stars (of 5)
From the moment the pan flute fanfare on "One Way Ticket" kicks off One Way Ticket to Hell...and Back, it's clear that the Darkness still believes that more is more. If anything, the band believes that even more is even better: with the help of producer Roy Thomas Baker, they make their second album incredibly glossy and expensive-sounding, with layers of sitars, marching drums, bagpipes, and tubular bells on top of their already-powerful guitars, drums, and keyboards (and, of course, Justin Hawkins' formidable falsetto). But while the band's excess succeeded on Permission to Land, it loses some of its potency here: nothing on One Way Ticket to Hell...and Back is as immediate as "I Believe in a Thing Called Love." The band's debut celebrated and inflated the rock clich?s of sex, drugs, and partying; this album's best songs are about longterm relationships, getting clean, and balding. The soaring power ballad "Dinner Lady Arms" highlights the good-natured streak running through a surprising amount of the Darkness' songs, while "One Way Ticket" is an episode of Behind the Music, complete with cocaine snorting, turned into a pop single. More than occasionally, though, One Way Ticket to Hell...and Back just sounds unremarkable, despite the songs' elaborate sonics. Tracks like "Knockers" ? which should be a fool-proof Darkness song just based on its title ? and "Girlfriend" sound like they were made from bits and pieces of Permission to Land rejects, while overblown-yet-slight ballads such as "Blind Man" and "Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time" sound too much like stale Meat Loaf. Still, there are moments when the Darkness still sounds like the smartest, dumbest band around: "Is It Just Me?" has a chorus that rivals their best; the flamboyant Celtic rocker "Hazel Eyes" shows off both Justin Hawkins' over-the-top vocals and his brother Dan's over-the-top guitar licks; and lyrics like "English Country Garden"'s "I cherished you and you tolerated me" show that the wit that made their debut so much fun isn't entirely missing on this album. Not so much a letdown as a comedown, One Way Ticket to Hell...and Back just shows that the giddy highs of Permission to Land aren't so easy to get the second time around.

Jonathan
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2005, 06:01:25 PM »

From allmusic
by Heather Phares
3 stars (of 5)
From the moment the pan flute fanfare on "One Way Ticket" kicks off One Way Ticket to Hell...and Back, it's clear that the Darkness still believes that more is more. If anything, the band believes that even more is even better: with the help of producer Roy Thomas Baker, they make their second album incredibly glossy and expensive-sounding, with layers of sitars, marching drums, bagpipes, and tubular bells on top of their already-powerful guitars, drums, and keyboards (and, of course, Justin Hawkins' formidable falsetto). But while the band's excess succeeded on Permission to Land, it loses some of its potency here: nothing on One Way Ticket to Hell...and Back is as immediate as "I Believe in a Thing Called Love." The band's debut celebrated and inflated the rock clich?s of sex, drugs, and partying; this album's best songs are about longterm relationships, getting clean, and balding. The soaring power ballad "Dinner Lady Arms" highlights the good-natured streak running through a surprising amount of the Darkness' songs, while "One Way Ticket" is an episode of Behind the Music, complete with cocaine snorting, turned into a pop single. More than occasionally, though, One Way Ticket to Hell...and Back just sounds unremarkable, despite the songs' elaborate sonics. Tracks like "Knockers" ? which should be a fool-proof Darkness song just based on its title ? and "Girlfriend" sound like they were made from bits and pieces of Permission to Land rejects, while overblown-yet-slight ballads such as "Blind Man" and "Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time" sound too much like stale Meat Loaf. Still, there are moments when the Darkness still sounds like the smartest, dumbest band around: "Is It Just Me?" has a chorus that rivals their best; the flamboyant Celtic rocker "Hazel Eyes" shows off both Justin Hawkins' over-the-top vocals and his brother Dan's over-the-top guitar licks; and lyrics like "English Country Garden"'s "I cherished you and you tolerated me" show that the wit that made their debut so much fun isn't entirely missing on this album. Not so much a letdown as a comedown, One Way Ticket to Hell...and Back just shows that the giddy highs of Permission to Land aren't so easy to get the second time around.

Jesus..
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2005, 07:21:58 PM »

From allmusic
by Heather Phares
3 stars (of 5)

That's probably fair, though 3 stars does seem to stray towards ''generous''. I was considering selling my copy on ebay - the fact is i doubt i'll listen to it after today, all it does is make me appreciate their first album

And just 10 tracks - whole thing is done in 38 mins flat - not impressed, nearly 2 years and thats it?

Quick! To the bandwagon!
R4tfink
Naked Waldorf in front of the computer
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2005, 07:11:46 AM »

Id give it a 4, maybe its because im biased i have liked them for so long, compared to the "Average" fan.

Knockers would sound great live!
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2005, 11:31:38 AM »

I really don't like the single, and Im just incredibly tired of them.
Haven't listened to the last album in about 2 years now.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
R4tfink
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2005, 01:55:33 PM »

I really don't like the single, and Im just incredibly tired of them.
Haven't listened to the last album in about 2 years now.

Well my friend, their new album is out. Worth a punt if i do say so myself. Download a couple of tracks, if you dont like it, delete them. If you do, go buy!

I recommend...

Knockers
Bald

From the new album, those two are my favourites from a great album!
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2005, 11:02:35 PM »

thanks mate, I'll check them out!

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Aava
Everything changes
VIP

If you wanna do it, baby, you can do it right

« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2005, 04:38:27 AM »

I?ve only heard the first single, whitch is in my opinion ok and very much average, nothing less nothing more.
Vid is cool though!  hihi
I?ll listen the rest of the songs as soon as i have the time.

We're on the one road
Maybe the wrong road
It's the road to fuck knows where
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2005, 05:32:51 PM »

...but enough with that if you have heard it then how does it compare to the debut o'stoner dude...

The first listen, i didnt like it (probably because i have been dousing myself in Pantera for about 2 months), the second listen, it grew, the third it grew again and i think im on my tenth repeat listen since my friend found it!? Wink

Its fucking awesome.

I will be purchasing it on Monday with any accompanying bits and bobs i can get my hands on, dvd's etc.

I also purchased my tickets to see them at The Nottingham Arena in Feb, 4 days before they went onto General release.
Well, i say i purchased, thats a little lie, Jarmos credit card did! Wink

i say, Were they "growing on yu?" becuz they grew on me  Grin

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
RichardNixon
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2005, 08:31:55 PM »

I listened to it once, really rocks. Very pleased with it.
grendood
My favorite word is: Bellend
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2005, 04:30:18 AM »

this albums is aweful.
Evolution
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2005, 09:53:42 AM »

this albums is aweful.

So is your spelling  hihi
electricmage
Rocker

Zakk is better then you.

« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2005, 02:12:59 AM »

Just one thing.. The Darkness are NOT rock music.
And creativity is not your strong point.
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2005, 03:15:23 PM »

Just one thing.. The Darkness are NOT rock music.
And creativity is not your strong point.

Lets face it , he wouldnt know rock music even if it introduced itself to him hihi

Ive not heard it yet but i know ill love it

Why are some so judgemental?...have the critics of the Darkness ever heard of fun?...maybe the critics should sit in a dark corner listening to their Coldplay albums instead of being so damn negative...

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
R4tfink
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2005, 02:12:43 AM »

Why are some so judgemental?...have the critics of the Darkness ever heard of fun?...maybe the critics should sit in a dark corner listening to their Coldplay albums instead of being so damn negative...

rofl rofl rofl

StradlinRose
Clintron, check your PMs!
Opening Act

east coast struttin'

« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2005, 12:28:01 PM »

The Darkness KICK ASS.

I give the new album 8/10, I think it's a nice step forward for them. ok
Evolution
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2005, 04:28:00 PM »

Which is the song that features bagpipes? I want to hear it.
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2005, 05:20:40 PM »

Which is the song that features bagpipes? I want to hear it.

its gotta be better than Mull of Kintyre hihi

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2005, 07:28:59 PM »

Great album, it's a little short though. Favorite song "Girfriend."

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: