Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 04:16:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Who was the most important member in Guns besides Axl?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who was the most important member in Guns besides Axl?  (Read 14715 times)
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2006, 08:04:00 PM »

This is the same kind of BS attitude that fucked up the band. Instead of dividing money equally among themselves, they tried to base it on a dumb percentage calculation. GN'R should have taken a cue from bands like Aerosmith. Split the money five ways.

Now that I agree with.

Actually he was less important than most people realize.

Your statement is very well grounded, indeed.

It just depends on what side of the glass you're looking on to interpret how it went down.

But to say he was more important than most realize, is false in was it represents. Anybody that knows anything about the legacy of this band in the 21st century, knows that's the biggest thing on the new guy's shoulders is trying to get that Slash weight off of their backs, because he was so definitive, he was so recognizable, and he was so liked. He represented Guns N' Roses in their prime, just as much as Axl as far as the spotlight goes.

As far as image goes, and image only, it truely is like trying to do the Stones without Keith, or Zeppelin without Jimmy, or Queen without Brian.

But that's the problem for the current incarnation of GNR now. Too many think Slash's input was the reason they were good, which is not the case at all. If anything, the comment should be reversed....

I can see we aren't going to agree on this any time soon Smiley. There's just one thing I'ld like to know before we let this rest... In which way do you think Slash is overrated, what made you form that image of him. I mean, is it a knee-jerk reaction to his popularity, do you dislike his sound, do you think his image is wrong? I'm just curious, as I have yet to meet in person a hard rock 'n roll lover who thinks Slash is overrated by his peers, so I'm eager to learn you reasons.

His ability. Slash always sounded to the same to me. His guitar licks for my ears never diversified and changed and became unique for songs. They sounded similar to each song, ala Angus Young in AC/DC, which for me shows average ability. To me at least.

Plus in Guns heyday, I was a singer surrounded by guitarists. All the guitar people just loved Slash, and the fans loved Slash, and I was never a 'go with the crowd' person. So I rooted for Axl and supported him, because I was a singer.

It just depends on what you did as a teen in GNR's heyday. Singers were Axl fans, guitarists were Slash fans.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2006, 09:54:34 PM »

Its a ridiculous debate.. whose more important .. Izzy or slash... Compare Izzys solo stuff to slashs... Nuff said!!!

Well that's what I've done, and I go for Izzy. Because of the lyrics, either solo or for GN'R.

Like I said before, the intro to SCOM is more recognizable amongst the general music audience than Axl's voice

I don't think so ... I'm sure people can immitate Slash's playing, so that people would have a hard time telling the differences, but try to mimic Axl's voice ...

The easiness of the riff is NOT what I'm talking about. The familiarity of it IS. It is a more familiar sound to most general music fans than Axl's voice. That has zilch to do with ability to play it. And besides, some of the best riffs ever are really simple. It's not the simplicity, but rather the CREATIVITY to come up with that particular sound. Slash is the one who did it, so no matter how well someone can copy it, people still would recognize the riff and think "SLASH!" or at the very least "Guns N' Roses!" I'm not so sure Axl's very distinctive voice would be recognized by anyone other than pretty big fans of rock music.
EccoTides
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2006, 01:23:56 AM »

Izzy or Slash, for sure. One could make a very compelling case for either one to come out on top.

I also think Adler was far more important than people give him credit for - Despite being a total smackhead, his drumming on AFD totally fit the GNR sound.

When Sorum replaced him, the drumming just sounded too "big" and hamfisted, and threw off the vibe in the band considerably, in my opinion.
TheMole
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2006, 04:28:24 AM »

His ability. Slash always sounded to the same to me. His guitar licks for my ears never diversified and changed and became unique for songs. They sounded similar to each song, ala Angus Young in AC/DC, which for me shows average ability. To me at least.

Plus in Guns heyday, I was a singer surrounded by guitarists. All the guitar people just loved Slash, and the fans loved Slash, and I was never a 'go with the crowd' person. So I rooted for Axl and supported him, because I was a singer.

It just depends on what you did as a teen in GNR's heyday. Singers were Axl fans, guitarists were Slash fans.

Fair enough, as you might have guessed, I picked up the guitar because of Slash's playing and GNR's sound. I can see where you're comming from and kinda know the feeling (the anti-'go with the crowd' mentality is one I've made my own for a fair number of times in the past and most likely will do again in the future). In my mind a comparison to Angus is a good thing (although I would definately deem Slash a lot more versatile), but I cannot deny that Angus' playing, and AC/DC's music in general is based on the recurring themes and riffs the Young brothers churn out with the dependability of a swiss clock. Slash definately showcases the same kind of dependability.

In short: I see what you mean, but I can't bring myself to agree.  Wink
TheMole
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2006, 04:32:04 AM »

I might want to add that I agree with most people here saying the band as a whole was what made all this happen and swapping any member would have vastly changed the sound of the band, and most likely for the worst. I just picked Slash because the OP used the words 'most important' and I do not beleive they were all equal in their input. Essential: yes, equal: no.
kriss_boy
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2006, 06:15:12 AM »

Compare Izzys stuff to Slash who defined Snakepit and VR... theres no comarison whatsoever.

Izzy may have been a good song writer but slashs riffs and solos DEFINED gnr. Take a song like Estranged... or the solos on NR... or SCOM for god sake. The guitar work on SCOM is iconic of the band and their genre and its all slash!!!!

Theres always this niche of fans who hold Izzy in higher esteem but the critics and majority of fans dont and rightly so.

Cant believe we are even having this ridiculous discussion!!
axlslasher
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2006, 03:53:44 PM »

From the AFD line up I think all were equally important. The Illusions set I would say Axl and Slash, maybe Duff.I never really liked Matt, Dizzy or Gilby. Have to wait and see with chinese Democracy.  Huh Undecided
Katrin
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2006, 03:55:34 PM »

Izzy.  Smiley
DeadHorse
Rocker

Where's my cinder block

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2006, 12:40:48 PM »

Izzy, Axl, Slash and less not forget Duff were a vital part of Guns. Without each of these members AFD would not the greatest album of all time.

Without Duff there would be no PC, Slash WTTJ ect.

The truth is as many have pointed out,  that each of teh four members brought something unique to the band. Just listen to Hollywodd Rose that came out a couple of years ago how important each guy was.

I left alder out because Duff worked day and night to get alder to play the way he did on Appetite, something people don't give him credit for.

Books are useless! I only ever read one book, ?To Kill A Mockingbird,? and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds.
J.J. Cook
Headliner

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2006, 05:16:34 PM »

Duff Mckagen!

I hate fanboys.
Mauve_All
Rocker

« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2006, 09:15:04 AM »

The thing with the original line up was that each member had his own distinct personality that showed in everything they did. Now, that is something you don't see in many bands. I think that each contributed what he had but the way I see it, it was Izzy who was the driving force of the band, musically at least ))

I'm a drinker with writing problems
http://www.myspace.com/mauve_all
aimz
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2006, 07:50:20 AM »

i know most of you will say slash, blah,blah blah, BUT i think Izzy was the most important member in Guns besides Axl.
what do you all think?
i personally think that all of them were just as important as each other. but because izzy wrote and co-wrote alot of the songs that they did, i would have to agree, that izzy proberbly was the next most important person
Baz Rose
Rocker

I'll kick your ass like I said that I would...

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2006, 10:25:07 AM »

Izzy Stradlin, without a second fucking thought.

Without Axl Rose & Izzy Stradlin, Guns N' Roses would not exist. For all of the 'hired Guns', someone had to be there to write the classics both lyrically & instrumentally.

We totally agree!!! Izzy rocks. that's why this lineup sounded so GN'R on the european leg of the tour. Stradlin added the true, real, pure Guns N' Roses vibe that no one else had.

1992-12-02, Santiago
2010-03-20, Santiago
2011-10-05, Santiago
2016-10-29, Santiago
Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2006, 10:29:13 AM »

Slash is a GN'R icon. Even more than Axl.

I'll download it !
badobessionwithaxl
Headliner

Live and let die.

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2006, 10:32:50 AM »

More than Axl? I don't know about that.

But I do agree that Slash is most important..  love

Can't stop thinkin bout doin it one more time..
Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2006, 10:41:12 AM »

But I do agree that Slash is most important..? love
At least Slash is a positive GN'R icon whereas Axl has a rather negative image among non-GN'R fans.

Slash gets more respect than Axl in the business.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 10:42:44 AM by Slashead » Logged

I'll download it !
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2006, 10:42:48 AM »

C'mon, you can't be serious ...

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2006, 10:45:34 AM »

I'm dead serious.

Slash is seen as the best symbol of Guns N'Roses.

I'll download it !
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2006, 11:08:58 AM »

I'm dead serious.

Slash is seen as the best symbol of Guns N'Roses.

I know that a lot of people and music listeners know who Slash is and what he looked like, but why was he more iconic than Axl Rose ?

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2006, 12:03:43 PM »

But I do agree that Slash is most important..? love

Slash gets more respect than Axl in the business.

Bullshit.

Only Axl Rose could be iconic enough to get MTV to make special arrangements for him and him alone to super-secretly appear at the VMA's, and a private soundcheck at Radio City.

Axl gets this, when MTV have to deal with personalities like P. Diddy, Madonna, J-Lo, Jay-Z, Eminem & Kayne West, all big names with super egos, every single day.

Where was VR? Where was Slash?

Slash is a icon himself. I grant him that. But not more than Axl Rose.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: