Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 02:56:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228124 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR to beat the mighty Oasis and U2?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR to beat the mighty Oasis and U2?  (Read 16954 times)
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2006, 01:00:35 PM »

U2 could never beat a Guns N Roses album. Simply because GNR are the biggest band on the planet. I know U2 is big too. But they could never be as big as Guns N Roses. Chinese Democracy will sell alot more.

The different between GNR and U2, is that GNR make class music and U2 make simple and shitty rock pop...

Guns N' Roses used to be the biggest band on the planet but I'm not so sure about right now, not yet anyway.  If U2 was putting out a new album that was promoted as well as their previous have been, then U2 would probably beat GNR if they were released on the same day.  FACT IS, there are more people in the world that like U2 compared to that of GNR.  That's just being realistic. I can't stand U2 at all but I'm not going to sit here and lie to myself and say that GNR is the biggest band in the world. Just because they are number one on Pollstar, doesn't make them the biggest.  I hope with CD they do once again become the biggest band, but we will see what happens.  Every show for this part of the tour would be sold out already if they were the biggest band in the world. So, Jimmy Buffett must be the biggest act in the United States because his shows sell out in 5 minutes and he's the only artist that sells 100% of his tickets ALL THE TIME!! Don't go knocking Jimmy Buffett now, or you might get hurt.  Wink

EDIT: BTW, Evanescense sold 447,000 copies of their album this past week to take the top spot on the billboard chart here in the US. The Killers sold 315,000 their first week and got the number 2 a few weeks ago.  I'm just trying to give people an idea of what GNR can and should be able to sell in their first week. I bet it will be close to 600,000 copies but Jay Z will sell more than that I think. There is something new about him every day in music news, doing promotion for this album.  Even though GNR and Jay Z probably won't come out the same week, I just think GN'R need to start doing promotion like this soon. They need to be everywhere that they can and as often as possible.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 01:29:07 PM by lennonisgod » Logged

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2006, 02:05:40 PM »

the reason people are stressing out about it debuting number 1 is because we have been waiting for this moment for 15 years.  Anything less than a number 1 billboard release will be a failure..plain and simple...its like the yankees, unless you win the world series its a failure, this is guns n roses we are talking about here, if this record does not debut at number 1 can you imagine the joy it is going to give every guns hater out there...now debuting at number 1 doesnt change how good the record is, but it sure shoves it down the throat of every person i have known that has talked trash on GNR....either way it is going to be a great record no matter how much it sells, but Axl deserves a number 1 record.....
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2006, 02:12:32 PM »

I think Chinese Democracy will beat U2, Oasis and Jay-Z

They'll definitely beat out Oasis here is the states.  Hell, that record may not even chart here.

I suspect they'll outdo U2 as well, Jay Z may be a differnet story.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2006, 02:18:16 PM »

first i'msure thatchinese democracy don't cost 13 milions bucks
second chinese democracy have a great preparation to be a firstclasic album after many years

I'm sure gnr will sell muchmuch copies than jay z but in six months,sojay z can beat gnr in first 2-3 weeks but after that nochance

btw why doyou count only us!
In europe gnr will sell more copies than jay z,btw gnr sold more than 15 arenas this summer in europe (i was in one)

I have never seen so many tree
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2006, 02:20:53 PM »

second chinese democracy have a great preparation to be a firstclasic album after many years

I'm sure gnr will sell muchmuch copies than jay z but in six months,sojay z can beat gnr in first 2-3 weeks but after that nochance

In europe gnr will sell more copies than jay z,btw gnr sold more than 15 arenas this summer in europe (i was in one)

Isn't it a FACT that CD cost at LEAST that much money?? I'm pretty sure it is.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2006, 02:23:44 PM »

please telll on what they spent that money (no comercial'n..)

I have never seen so many tree
makane
Legend

« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2006, 02:29:23 PM »

please telll on what they spent that money (no comercial'n..)

Ten years of studio time, staff salaries, equipment.... and so on ain't cheap.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2006, 03:00:36 PM »

Yeah... after Geffen gave out a cheque which made the total they'd spent on it $13 million, they refused to pay any more.  So Axl started paying for it himself.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2006, 03:17:47 PM »

Yeah... after Geffen gave out a cheque which made the total they'd spent on it $13 million, they refused to pay any more.  So Axl started paying for it himself.

maybe true maybe not. That's not a comfirmed fact yet. especially about the amount.
coming here, I've learned to doubt the accuracy of the press when their source is an anonymous retailer, as well as that of other retailers, ie, media victims.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 03:20:34 PM by ppbebe » Logged
dodger girl
Rocker

art is resistance

« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2006, 03:22:13 PM »

I think it's a matter of pride too.. I mean what GN'R fan wouldn't want CD hit the number one spot??? and in the way outsell every other major release??? I definitely want that for Axl and co, and for myself as a reward for investing all this time in this band and believing in them (it won't be close to the excitement about the awesome music, but it's a nice bonus)

part of me wants the release date to be on the 21st.. head to head with Jay-Z, beat him and prove everyone that GN'R are back. Like setting up the biggest challenge and come out triumphant

but realistically, I just want them to be a success in the charts so I don't mind if they go with a safer date to accomplish this

(U2 and Oasis are no worries.. they are GHs opposed to CD full of new music anticipated for over 10 years, CD should and will win them)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 03:24:16 PM by dodger girl » Logged

AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2006, 04:02:08 PM »

Yeah... after Geffen gave out a cheque which made the total they'd spent on it $13 million, they refused to pay any more.? So Axl started paying for it himself.

maybe true maybe not. That's not a comfirmed fact yet. especially about the amount.
coming here, I've learned to doubt the accuracy of the press when their source is an anonymous retailer, as well as that of other retailers, ie, media victims.

The source was a guy from Geffen... hardly a retailer.
Mr Rage
Rocker

My Friends Call Me ACE!!!!!

« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2006, 04:36:28 PM »

it will do oasis profile in america a world of good! u2 they will always sell well, but isn't this there 3rd greatest hits albums, GNR need to promote or they might not even get a top ten postion.

A World Without BASS is.....CHAOS
Funeral
Rocker

Welcome to the neighborhood

« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2006, 06:00:18 PM »

the mighty Oasis?  lolol rofl rofl
The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2006, 06:03:31 PM »

wrong. My opinion about that stupid band, has nothing to do with that... I listen to all kind of music, not only hard rock! I admit, Rock N' Roll is in my heart and I love this music far more than anything else, but there are other artists out there which play other type of music (rock, dance, whatever...) that I also like very much. So I don't make judgements about people who don't like (hard) rock.
BUT oasis is gay music? hihi

Then I must tell my girlfriend I'm gay :/ Will be quite a shock for her i guess. But well since I like oasis I must be gay, it's so called "gay" music so. ?Roll Eyes

Indeed...you better should.  Wink  Tongue  Grin

There is a difference between the opinion of the majority and the thruth...
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2006, 07:01:19 PM »

U2 could never beat a Guns N Roses album. Simply because GNR are the biggest band on the planet. I know U2 is big too. But they could never be as big as Guns N Roses. Chinese Democracy will sell alot more.

The different between GNR and U2, is that GNR make class music and U2 make simple and shitty rock pop...

Guns N' Roses used to be the biggest band on the planet but I'm not so sure about right now, not yet anyway.  If U2 was putting out a new album that was promoted as well as their previous have been, then U2 would probably beat GNR if they were released on the same day.  FACT IS, there are more people in the world that like U2 compared to that of GNR.  That's just being realistic. I can't stand U2 at all but I'm not going to sit here and lie to myself and say that GNR is the biggest band in the world. Just because they are number one on Pollstar, doesn't make them the biggest.  I hope with CD they do once again become the biggest band, but we will see what happens.  Every show for this part of the tour would be sold out already if they were the biggest band in the world. So, Jimmy Buffett must be the biggest act in the United States because his shows sell out in 5 minutes and he's the only artist that sells 100% of his tickets ALL THE TIME!! Don't go knocking Jimmy Buffett now, or you might get hurt.  Wink

EDIT: BTW, Evanescense sold 447,000 copies of their album this past week to take the top spot on the billboard chart here in the US. The Killers sold 315,000 their first week and got the number 2 a few weeks ago.  I'm just trying to give people an idea of what GNR can and should be able to sell in their first week. I bet it will be close to 600,000 copies but Jay Z will sell more than that I think. There is something new about him every day in music news, doing promotion for this album.  Even though GNR and Jay Z probably won't come out the same week, I just think GN'R need to start doing promotion like this soon. They need to be everywhere that they can and as often as possible.

Jay-Z will start off quicker than GN'R, but over the long haul Chinese Democracy should outsell Jay-Z's album. Rappers nowadays always have FRONTLOADED albums. All they care about is being #1 the week it's released. After that, many people don't give a rat's arse to go buy the album after it's been out for a while. Think about how many "classic" rap albums there are vs. rock. Not many at all. I just think Axl needs to be reintroduced to the public and perhaps he'll begin to tell his side of the story. He has been trashed and labeled by his ex-bandmates in the media over and over the last 10 years and he's sat back and taken it up the ass without any kind of rebuttal. For that reason, a lot of folks consider him a joke (not to mention his "style" in 2002 being goofy as hell). Like I said before, though, GN'R will outsell Jay-Z in the long run just as the old GN'R has outsold Jay-Z by a HUGE margin both in the U.S. and around the world.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2006, 07:32:57 PM »

Yeah rather than focusing on the first week, fly at longer game.

The source was a guy from Geffen... hardly a retailer.

Who from Geffen? did they name the name? Would a report on accounts say this project racked up around $~ /more than $~? Not that there's no truth to it for sure. Either way it won't do the album any harm. but I wouldn't call it an accurate report lets alone an established fact YET.
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2006, 07:51:11 PM »

Man, if CD is released on the same date as Jay-Z, and Jay-Z beats out GNR for the top spot, that will only further imprint the fact that the US is culturaly retarted when is comes to music. 

With a single and proper promotion, I think GNR wins, status quo, Jay-suck wins.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
November_Oasis
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2006, 08:19:52 PM »

Oasis has sold more records than GNR worldwide I would wager its close but I'd say Oasis trumps them.  LennonisGod your signature is killer, and for all you Oasis haters every trendy band you have heard in the past 5 years is heavily Oasis influenced.
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2006, 08:22:38 PM »

Oasis has sold more records than GNR worldwide I would wager its close but I'd say Oasis trumps them.  LennonisGod your signature is killer, and for all you Oasis haters every trendy band you have heard in the past 5 years is heavily Oasis influenced.

I'm sorry but you fucked yourself there. Every trendy band has sucked in the past 5 years.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
November_Oasis
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2006, 08:31:38 PM »

I didn't proclaim them to be good bands, but acts like The Strokes, The Vines,Jet, Good Charlotte (barf),Coldplay, The Killers all cite Oasis  as one of their major influences.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 09:11:55 PM by November_Oasis » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: