Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 06:48:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR to beat the mighty Oasis and U2?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR to beat the mighty Oasis and U2?  (Read 16849 times)
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2006, 11:29:37 AM »

Oasis is the biggest band possibly ever not to be huge in the States. The record company tried to get Noel to release Stop the Clocks on this record as it is rumored to be one of the best tracks he has ever written which is saying a hell of alot. Oasis is now free from Sony and will hopefully sign with a label that actually will promote them properly stateside for the next official release.

I'm sorry, but it's Oasis that failed to promote themselves properly in the US.  A US tour was cancelled when Liam Gallagher walked out on it.  In a UK interview afterwards, he said they had no intentions of trying to break the US again because, "I can't be bothered, it's too much work".
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2006, 11:41:33 AM »

Who the fuck cares if Jay-Z beats Guns N' Roses RECORD SALES? Does the music get any better or worse? NO.
I don't know why you people are stressing about how much CD sells.

that's point

who caresabout some jay z???

I have never seen so many tree
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2006, 11:46:38 AM »

More people than who care about Guns N' Roses at the moment... that's the point. Tongue
I care about how much Chinese Democracy sells, because let's face it - if it's not huge, there's a chance we'll never hear the follow-up albums that are rumoured.

But it's not us who will be stressing about whether or not it outdoes Jay-Z.... it's the record label.  The record label won't release it at the same time as a huge artist like Jay-Z, because it'll hinder their chances of it getting the number one spot.  Record labels everywhere make sure their major releases are released at a time when it has most chance of getting to the number one spot.  Then they can market it as "the number one album"... and the fickle people who make up the majority of record buyers will say "if it got to number one, it must be good", and they'll buy a copy. Wink

So there's your answer... we're not stressing.  They are.
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2006, 11:52:53 AM »

More people than who care about Guns N' Roses at the moment... that's the point. Tongue
I care about how much Chinese Democracy sells, because let's face it - if it's not huge, there's a chance we'll never hear the follow-up albums that are rumoured.

But it's not us who will be stressing about whether or not it outdoes Jay-Z.... it's the record label.? The record label won't release it at the same time as a huge artist like Jay-Z, because it'll hinder their chances of it getting the number one spot.? Record labels everywhere make sure their major releases are released at a time when it has most chance of getting to the number one spot.? Then they can market it as "the number one album"... and the fickle people who make up the majority of record buyers will say "if it got to number one, it must be good", and they'll buy a copy. Wink

So there's your answer... we're not stressing.? They are.

who cares about jay z in the world of rnr?

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2006, 11:53:42 AM »

jay z doenst have a street team like gnr does, now does it  rofl

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2006, 11:54:51 AM »

I really dont care if GnR beats anyone in sales, but that was the topic of the thread so thought id respond. ?However, while beating Jay z may not matter, what does matter is if the album comes out and sells 500,000 copies in the U.S.. ?That will be a big problem and shorten the U.S. tour, possibly break up the band and stop release on any other album. ?So while the present music does nto change by the sales, the cd will sound the same whether 4 people buy it or 14 million, what does change is the ability to see GNR in concert, the ability to get more music does change. ?So it is an important topic to discuss and it is relevant if another major recording artist releases a comeback cd the same day as GNR. ?It sucks, but legitimacy in music in many ways is defined by ones financial success from the music. ?
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2006, 11:56:13 AM »

Me - I for one plan on getting a copy of Jay-Z's new album as well as Chinese Democracy if it is indeed released this year. ?I'll check out the new Eminem songs that are featured too... as well as Deftones and My Chemical Romance, and anything else that looks interesting that's coming out this year.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2006, 11:59:33 AM »

I really dont care if GnR beats anyone in sales, but that was the topic of the thread so thought id respond. ?However, while beating Jay z may not matter, what does matter is if the album comes out and sells 500,000 copies in the U.S.. ?That will be a big problem and shorten the U.S. tour, possibly break up the band and stop release on any other album. ?So while the present music does nto change by the sales, the cd will sound the same whether 4 people buy it or 14 million, what does change is the ability to see GNR in concert, the ability to get more music does change. ?So it is an important topic to discuss and it is relevant if another major recording artist releases a comeback cd the same day as GNR. ?It sucks, but legitimacy in music in many ways is defined by ones financial success from the music. ?

Exactly... and the album absolutely must be huge, for it to ever get close to be a financial success.
The album needs to makes $13 million in the matter of months!  If it doesn't, then the furthest off that target they are, the more likely it is that Geffen will drop any plans for the band... and maybe even the band themselves.
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2006, 12:06:07 PM »

IMO opinion oasis were good like 10 years ago, but that my opinion yes

i think in the U.K (where shite is lauded like its the greatest thing ever!) both oasis and U2 will outsell Cd, thats hard for me to say but the UK just isn't a "rock" country.

in the UK, bands that are/ pretend to be cockneys or drug addicts are the most famed thing, and magazines talk abot them as if they are on the brink of domination on a galatic scale..............fact is hardly anyone outside the UK gives a fuck who they are or what they sound like.............
....so... due to the Uks poor musical taste i say that Oasis and U2 will win there, but in Us and other euro countries it will be GnR and U" in a two horse race

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2006, 12:14:06 PM »

well now i'm watching billboard list and for example justin timberlake who is very popular in us,after 3 weeks have no riia certification,bob dylan after 5 weeks have 1 riaa,beyonce after 4 weeks have no riia,christina aguilera too,RED HOT CHILLI PAPERS After 21 weeks have1 riaa

AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2006, 12:16:43 PM »

None of those records cost their record label $13 million, so they had nothing to fear buy not selling millions in a short amount of time.
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2006, 12:19:32 PM »

Oasis is the biggest band possibly ever not to be huge in the States. The record company tried to get Noel to release Stop the Clocks on this record as it is rumored to be one of the best tracks he has ever written which is saying a hell of alot. Oasis is now free from Sony and will hopefully sign with a label that actually will promote them properly stateside for the next official release.

I'm sorry, but it's Oasis that failed to promote themselves properly in the US.  A US tour was cancelled when Liam Gallagher walked out on it.  In a UK interview afterwards, he said they had no intentions of trying to break the US again because, "I can't be bothered, it's too much work".

They did a little US tour last year and I was at two shows and the shows were huge, completely full. They had a very, very successful tour last year in the states.  BTW, whoever said on the first page about Noel getting in a car accident in Indiana or wherever they said it was, it was in Chicago while he was in a taxi.  GNR will probably top the charts in many, many countries the first week it's released, but I HONESTLY don't know if it can beat Jay Z. People that are SO SURE IT WILL, need to think with some common sense and stop thinking this is 1991.  It would be close it they did happen to be released on the same day (WHICH THEY WON'T!!!).  If CD did come out on the same day as the Oasis GH, it would be a close race for the top spot in the UK. The GH is supposed to be "packaged with extras", although I doubt it will be anything too special. Outside of a new version of Acquiesce, there won't be anything else on the album worth spending the money on, unless you don't have the albums already. I'll buy it just because I'm a huge Oasis fan and the tracks will probably sound a lot better than they did in 1994 and 1995. I'm sure the release date is already set in stone for CD, but it just has yet to be announced yet.  The promoters for the album have probably put a ton of thought into the date and are probably trying to set up a release date with no other MAJOR albums coming out the same day. Axl probably wants to be number one and I have no doubt in my mind that he will accomplish that. VR hit number one here in the states and they sold 250,000 copies in the first week but I think GN'R could probably double that with the right promotion and first single. Deep down, regardless of what anyone else thinks, it would have to bother him a little bit that VR got the top spot on the charts, if indeed he were not able to make to number one.  November is ALWAYS the BIGGEST month of the year for music, ALWAYS!  So I doubt CD will be out in December, it just wouldn't make too much sense. The 21st would be the perfect tuesday though because that Friday is the biggest shopping day of the whole year, at least in the US.  AND I don't really think anyone here is "STRESSING OUT" about how many copies CD will sell. We just want to see our favorite band do the best it can and EVERYONE wants there band to be number one that first week they come out.  After 15 years without a release of original material, for the album to be number one, that would be a great accomplishment. I just want to be able to say to all of my friends and family, that have given me a hard time sometimes about being so loyal to GN'R for so many years, "THAT THE NEW ALBUM IS THE TOP FUCKING ALBUM IN THE WORLD!!!"  What's so wrong with wanting them to be number one?? Not a God damn fucking thing mother fuckers.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
KIKO2K6
Happy as a Pig in Shit
VIP

I am a ''ROCKER''

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2006, 12:21:02 PM »

well now i'm watching billboard list and for example justin timberlake who is very popular in us,after 3 weeks have no riia certification,bob dylan after 5 weeks have 1 riaa,beyonce after 4 weeks have no riia,christina aguilera too,RED HOT CHILLI PAPERS After 21 weeks have1 riaa

What is a riaa ?! Roll Eyes

The New Interpretation of a Masterwerk!!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/art2/kikoalbuquerque/

Chinese Democracy Starts....sometime between now and November 25th !
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2006, 12:25:41 PM »

i think in the U.K (where shite is lauded like its the greatest thing ever!) both oasis and U2 will outsell Cd, thats hard for me to say but the UK just isn't a "rock" country.

in the UK, bands that are/ pretend to be cockneys or drug addicts are the most famed thing, and magazines talk abot them as if they are on the brink of domination on a galatic scale..............fact is hardly anyone outside the UK gives a fuck who they are or what they sound like.............
....so... due to the Uks poor musical taste i say that Oasis and U2 will win there, but in Us and other euro countries it will be GnR and U" in a two horse race

THE UK isn't really a country first of all.  I think that England (a country) for example is more rock than the United States. I live in the US and I would rather listen to most of the UK music before I would listen to some of this new metal bs that all of these shit bands play here in the states. What you said was such an uneducated opinion that is so far from being true.  I feel bad for you. You need to open up your mind and stop listening to the same 3 American bands over and over.  Why do half of these so called "rock" bands that you love in the US, have a fucking DJ in the band?? Rock N' Roll is NOT about having a DJ in the band. That's not rock.  I'm not knocking all new USA bands either, some aren't bad. BUt don't say the UK isn't "ROCK", when in fact so many of the greatest bands of all times have come from that part of the world!!  AND I can't believe you said the UK has "poor musical taste" when the United States of America has some of the worst taste in music EVER!!  Rap and R&B are the top forms of music here, which isn't "rock".  So wouldn't North America be less "rock" than the UK??
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 12:47:43 PM by lennonisgod » Logged

AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2006, 12:27:16 PM »

What is a riaa ?! Roll Eyes

Record Industry Association of America... they're the ones that hand out gold and platinum awards and stuff in the US.  Without an RIAA award, the album isn't certified with either of those titles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riaa
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2006, 12:30:08 PM »

THE UK isn't a fucking country first of all.? I think that England (a country) for example is more rock than the United States. I live in the US and I would rather listen to most of the UK music before I would listen to some of this new metal bs that all of these shit bands play here in the states. What you said was such an uneducated opinion that is so far from being true.? I feel bad for you. You need to open up your mind and stop listening to the same 3 American bands over and over.? Why do half of these so called "rock" bands that you love in the US, have a fucking DJ in the band?? Rock N' Roll is NOT about having a DJ in the band. That's not rock.? I'm not knocking all new USA bands either, some aren't bad. BUt don't say the UK isn't a rock "country" (hahaha), when if fact so many of the greatest bands of all times have come from that CONTINENT!!

There I was thinking rock was about doing what the hell you wanted.
Over time, a style of music draws in influences from other styles of music to create something new... it's still rock, it's just evolved into something new.? And I thought those bands with DJ's in were dying now.? Rock in the US seems to be more about bands like Avenged Sevenfold and Trivium nowadays.

PS - the UK may be a combination of a group of country's... but it's not a continent.  The UK is part of Europe.  THAT'S a continent.
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2006, 12:39:49 PM »

THE UK isn't a fucking country first of all.  I think that England (a country) for example is more rock than the United States. I live in the US and I would rather listen to most of the UK music before I would listen to some of this new metal bs that all of these shit bands play here in the states. What you said was such an uneducated opinion that is so far from being true.  I feel bad for you. You need to open up your mind and stop listening to the same 3 American bands over and over.  Why do half of these so called "rock" bands that you love in the US, have a fucking DJ in the band?? Rock N' Roll is NOT about having a DJ in the band. That's not rock.  I'm not knocking all new USA bands either, some aren't bad. BUt don't say the UK isn't a rock "country" (hahaha), when if fact so many of the greatest bands of all times have come from that CONTINENT!!

There I was thinking rock was about doing what the hell you wanted.
Over time, a style of music draws in influences from other styles of music to create something new... it's still rock, it's just evolved into something new.  And I thought those bands with DJ's in were dying now.  Rock in the US seems to be more about bands like Avenged Sevenfold and Trivium nowadays.

PS - the UK may be a combination of a group of country's... but it's not a continent.  The UK is part of Europe.  THAT'S a continent.

You can think it's rock n' roll if you want, I don't.  It's a mix of rap and rock, which isn't Rock N' Roll.  So you're agreeing that the UK isn't rock?? This thread isn't about this anyway, so my argument is done, but for people to say shit like that doesn't make sense. RAP is the top form of music in this country and that's the bottom line. Rap isn't the top form of music in the UK. So which is more rock??  I don't hate this country fully (I hate how it's run, who runs it, our lenient petaphile\sexual offender laws, etc.) by the way, but the music has gone so fucking downhill since the 90's and I don't know of many people that love PURE rock n' roll that don't agree with that. And I don't think rock N' Roll is about Avenged Sevenfold here, I think it's about Panic at the Disco, which is the top rock act in this country or the Killers for that matter. Not Trivium or Avenged Sevenfold or bands "like them", not at all.

EDIT: Oh and you did get me on the Continent part and I actually thought college was actually paying off for me.  I'll try to raise up my 3.89 GPA to a 4 by the time I graduate so I don't look dumb again.  ok
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 12:55:50 PM by lennonisgod » Logged

Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2006, 12:50:25 PM »

U2 could never beat a Guns N Roses album. Simply because GNR are the biggest band on the planet. I know U2 is big too. But they could never be as big as Guns N Roses. Chinese Democracy will sell alot more.

The different between GNR and U2, is that GNR make class music and U2 make simple and shitty rock pop...

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Barockhamster
Opening Act

Barockhamster at helgon

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2006, 12:51:03 PM »

wrong. My opinion about that stupid band, has nothing to do with that... I listen to all kind of music, not only hard rock! I admit, Rock N' Roll is in my heart and I love this music far more than anything else, but there are other artists out there which play other type of music (rock, dance, whatever...) that I also like very much. So I don't make judgements about people who don't like (hard) rock.
BUT oasis is gay music? hihi

Then I must tell my girlfriend I'm gay :/ Will be quite a shock for her i guess. But well since I like oasis I must be gay, it's so called "gay" music so. ?Roll Eyes

Comerades !
Beloved brothers and sisters in rock !
We are gathered here today to celebrate a true revolution !
A revolution of a state in which we believe
GUNS N' ROSES
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2006, 12:57:34 PM »

I think Chinese Democracy will beat U2, Oasis and Jay-Z

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »