Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 06:42:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR to beat the mighty Oasis and U2?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR to beat the mighty Oasis and U2?  (Read 16844 times)
Bono
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2006, 08:42:47 PM »

If anyone thinks this U2 album is gonna sell extremely well right off the bat they're kidding themselves. The hardcore U2 fan(myself included) are not gonna rush out and buy this thing. It's their third Best Of release in the last 7 years and third in their last five releases period. It's crap. If this album does beat out Oasis's first Best Of album then WOW that says alot about the appeal of U2. Fact is I don't see this U2 album selling hugely(maybe over time) because to be honest alot of the fans, actually a huge majority of U2 fans aren't happy with it. There's no need for it so.... Also any of you who are gonna sit there and use this as some sort of measure of Guns N' Roses popularity if CD outsells this U2 album are on crack. A new studio album by U2 would trump any band as far as opening week goes YES EVEN Chinese Democracy.  CD had better outsell U2 18. It should, it will and there's no reason to think it won't. Though if it doesn't than it says one of two things. The Gn'R appeal just isn't there the way many of us would like it to be or, the U2 appeal is alot bigger than any of you want to admit. peace
axlrosehunny
Banned
Rocker

I like cake

« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2006, 08:49:13 PM »

The U2 album is going to sell huge, just like any other recent U2 album.  The band knows this, this is why they are releasing it.

Oh ya I hate U2, but this is why it is going to sell huge.  Everyone likes them.  Mostly white people, mostly yuppies.  Moms and dads too there sons and daughters.  They think this is great rock and roll. 

U2 is very radio friendly(Recently).  So most of there new songs get played, until you scream.

You cant turn the TV on some days with out seeing Bono on it, with his stupid sun glass's.  He is so over hyped.

Oasis is a great band, one of my fav's.  There album will sell huge in Europe and Canada.   Big in the states, but nothing to special.

Guns N Roses new album will be one of the biggest sellers of the year.  My prediction is 5-7 Million in the us.  Another 7 million worldwide

If you dont like me, blow me!
Bono
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2006, 08:53:09 PM »

just want to chime in also on the Jay Z thing. Obviously they won't be put out on the same day but I would think that a Jay Z album is gonna have a bigger opening week than CD based simply on promo and MTV. The promo for Jay Z's album has already begun and what have Gn'R done for Promo? NOTHING except tour ?while playing a set hugely lopsided with old songs. Hell all the promo here on radio(if any) goes like this: Guns N' Roses with Axl Rose will be at the saddledome on December 6th...que Jungle, SCOM, or PC. There's barely a ?whisper about CD and to be honest it's getting ridiculous. Hell U2 is putting out their Best Of album on Nov, 21st and they've already had the new single on radio here for a week or so. When does Gn'R plan on starting some type of promo? It boggles the mind that little to nothing has been done so far. Huh
axlrosehunny
Banned
Rocker

I like cake

« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2006, 08:59:41 PM »

just want to chime in also on the Jay Z thing. Obviously they won't be put out on the same day but I would think that a Jay Z album is gonna have a bigger opening week than CD based simply on promo and MTV. The promo for Jay Z's album has already begun and what have Gn'R done for Promo? NOTHING except tour  while playing a set hugely lopsided with old songs. Hell all the promo here on radio(if any) goes like this: Guns N' Roses with Axl Rose will be at the saddledome on December 6th...que Jungle, SCOM, or PC. There's barely a  whisper about CD and to be honest it's getting ridiculous. Hell U2 is putting out their Best Of album on Nov, 21st and they've already had the new single on radio here for a week or so. When does Gn'R plan on starting some type of promo? It boggles the mind that little to nothing has been done so far. Huh

So you are actually thinking it is going to come out this year then?

I think if it does it will be one of the biggest sellers, but I will bet anyone anything that we dont see this album for some time.

Think about it.  Do you really think the record company would, just release this album, just like that.  No promotion, no single, no video, nothing.  Just one tuesday it shows up on the shelves?  Ya that isnt going to happen.   They have so much ridding on the album, in just the money spent on producing they are going to market the fuck out of it.   

When has a CD come out recently with nothing to back it up???   I cant think of any.

Look at the new CD The Killers just came out with(Sams Town).  Here in Edmonton, they were almost on the second released single on the radio, before it was released.  Same with the new Pearl Jam, same with U2 and same with a couple of years ago Velvet Revolver.

This CD aint commin out any time soon.

Bono
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2006, 09:00:31 PM »

The U2 album is going to sell huge, just like any other recent U2 album.? The band knows this, this is why they are releasing it.

Oh ya I hate U2, but this is why it is going to sell huge.? Everyone likes them.? Mostly white people, mostly yuppies.? Moms and dads too there sons and daughters.? They think this is great rock and roll.

You know what's funny about that comment. When I go to a hard rock show like Gn'R I dont' recall seeing anyone of color or at the very most very few. On the other hand when I go to a U2 show you see every color of the rainbow. You see, Indians, east Indians, mexicans, Africans, whites, Asians you name it they are at a U2 concert in abundance. I can't say the same thing for Gn'R. ?U2's music is not designated to only "white people" in fact you proved that yourself by saing "Moms and dads too there sons and daughters. That basically means everyone hihi At U2 you see young and old, you see women, and men, boys and girls, grandparents. U2 is cross gender, cross race and cross generational. There isn't ?really another band out there that is like that. ?Not to such a ?huge extent anyways. And for the record I'm not a Yuppie. peace
Beowulf
« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2006, 09:05:42 PM »

The U2 album is going to sell huge, just like any other recent U2 album.? The band knows this, this is why they are releasing it.

Oh ya I hate U2, but this is why it is going to sell huge.? Everyone likes them.? Mostly white people, mostly yuppies.? Moms and dads too there sons and daughters.? They think this is great rock and roll.

You know what's funny about that comment. When I go to a hard rock show like Gn'R I dont' recall seeing anyone of color or at the very most very few. On the other hand when I go to a U2 show you see every color of the rainbow. You see, Indians, east Indians, mexicans, Africans, whites, Asians you name it they are at a U2 concert in abundance. I can't say the same thing for Gn'R. ?U2's music is not designated to only "white people" in fact you proved that yourself by saing "Moms and dads too there sons and daughters. That basically means everyone hihi At U2 you see young and old, you see women, and men, boys and girls, grandparents. U2 is cross gender, cross race and cross generational. There isn't ?really another band out there that is like that. ?Not to such a ?huge extent anyways. And for the record I'm not a Yuppie. peace

U2 has wide appeal because they are so bland. They're the vanilla ice cream of Rock n' Roll.  hihi
Bono
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2006, 09:05:55 PM »

I think if it does it will be one of the biggest sellers, but I will bet anyone anything that we dont see this album for some time.

Think about it.? Do you really think the record company would, just release this album, just like that.? No promotion, no single, no video, nothing.? Just one tuesday it shows up on the shelves?? Ya that isnt going to happen.? ?They have so much ridding on the album, in just the money spent on producing they are going to market the fuck out of it.? ?

When has a CD come out recently with nothing to back it up?Huh ?I cant think of any.

Look at the new CD The Killers just came out with(Sams Town).? Here in Edmonton, they were almost on the second released single on the radio, before it was released.? Same with the new Pearl Jam, same with U2 and same with a couple of years ago Velvet Revolver.

?I know. To be honest the doubts of a 2006 release are again starting to creep in. I mean it's idiotic the way they are going about things. ?The general ?consensus was that the album won't come out on December 26th(I was one who thought it could) so that makes it December 19th as the latest it could come out. It's amazing that we're just over two months away from the latest possible release date and yet we have no word of a single, and no hint to an album release date. ?11 Tuesdays left and only 10 if we don't count Dec, 26th. Promo needs to start RIGHT FUCKING NOW! I just dont' get what all the secrecy is about right now. You can't help but wonder if even they(the abnd and management) know if the album will be out this year. Whatever they're doing it's definately unconventional. Huh
Bono
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2006, 09:08:09 PM »

U2 has wide appeal because they are so bland. They're the vanilla ice cream of Rock n' Roll.? hihi

Oh I see. So bland and boring appeals to people. I guess it wouldn't have anything to do with them being timeless and epic   and flat out good. But whatever helps ya sleep at night. ok
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2006, 09:13:21 PM »

U2 has wide appeal because they are so bland. They're the vanilla ice cream of Rock n' Roll.? hihi

Oh I see. So bland and boring appeals to people. I guess it wouldn't have anything to do with them being timeless and epic? ?and flat out good. But whatever helps ya sleep at night. ok

Most people are bland and boring, and that's why it appeal so much.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
axlrosehunny
Banned
Rocker

I like cake

« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2006, 09:15:28 PM »

Think about it. ?Do you really think the record company would, just release this album, just like that. ?No promotion, no single, no video, nothing. ?Just one tuesday it shows up on the shelves? ?Ya that isnt going to happen. ? They have so much ridding on the album, in just the money spent on producing they are going to market the fuck out of it. ?

When has a CD come out recently with nothing to back it up??? ? I cant think of any.

Look at the new CD The Killers just came out with(Sams Town). ?Here in Edmonton, they were almost on the second released single on the radio, before it was released. ?Same with the new Pearl Jam, same with U2 and same with a couple of years ago Velvet Revolver.

?I know. To be honest the doubts of a 2006 release are again starting to creep in. I mean it's idiotic the way they are going about things. ?The general ?consensus was that the album won't come out on December 26th(I was one who thought it could) so that makes it December 19th as the latest it could come out. It's amazing that we're just over two months away from the latest possible release date and yet we have no word of a single, and no hint to an album release date. ?11 Tuesdays left and only 10 if we don't count Dec, 26th. Promo needs to start RIGHT FUCKING NOW! I just dont' get what all the secrecy is about right now. You can't help but wonder if even they(the abnd and management) know if the album will be out this year. Whatever they're doing it's definately unconventional. Huh

It would make no sence to some out in December. ?In the states I think there biggest Christmas shop is the day after thanksgiving. ?So if this album is ready for a December release, means that it should be ready for a November release. ?One month would not make a hole lot of a difference, if it is ready it is ready if it isnt it isnt. ? So it is ready, I am sure they are going to do what ever they can to get it out for that after Thanksgiving date.

So with that said.. ? We would have heard something by now. ?Or heard something. ? ?

If the music is ready, they should just let that speak for itself and stop with all the hush hush

axlrosehunny
Banned
Rocker

I like cake

« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2006, 09:18:20 PM »

U2 has wide appeal because they are so bland. They're the vanilla ice cream of Rock n' Roll.  hihi

Oh I see. So bland and boring appeals to people. I guess it wouldn't have anything to do with them being timeless and epic   and flat out good. But whatever helps ya sleep at night. ok

Most people are bland and boring, and that's why it appeal so much.

I think that is called radio friendly.  U2 now has a sound that sells.  They have a product (U2).  They are a huge buisness.  They are going to do what is right for that product. 

The old U2 is a complety different band, to the current one I think.....    Still how can millions of people be wrong.....    haha..

Beowulf
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2006, 09:26:27 PM »

Oh I see. So bland and boring appeals to people. I guess it wouldn't have anything to do with them being timeless and epic? ?and flat out good. But whatever helps ya sleep at night. ok

Being bland is not the most horrible thing in the world...unoffensive might be a better adjective. Nobody hates vanilla ice cream...it's something that anyone from 5-95 can enjoy. Not like GNR, who might appeal to a more narrow demographic. They're the rocky road of ice cream. Kids and Grandmothers can't handle the dangerous marshmellows.  no
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2006, 09:33:31 PM »

Think about it.  Do you really think the record company would, just release this album, just like that.  No promotion, no single, no video, nothing.  Just one tuesday it shows up on the shelves?  Ya that isnt going to happen.   They have so much ridding on the album, in just the money spent on producing they are going to market the fuck out of it.   

When has a CD come out recently with nothing to back it up???   I cant think of any.

Look at the new CD The Killers just came out with(Sams Town).  Here in Edmonton, they were almost on the second released single on the radio, before it was released.  Same with the new Pearl Jam, same with U2 and same with a couple of years ago Velvet Revolver.

I know. To be honest the doubts of a 2006 release are again starting to creep in. I mean it's idiotic the way they are going about things.  The general  consensus was that the album won't come out on December 26th(I was one who thought it could) so that makes it December 19th as the latest it could come out. It's amazing that we're just over two months away from the latest possible release date and yet we have no word of a single, and no hint to an album release date.  11 Tuesdays left and only 10 if we don't count Dec, 26th. Promo needs to start RIGHT FUCKING NOW! I just dont' get what all the secrecy is about right now. You can't help but wonder if even they(the abnd and management) know if the album will be out this year. Whatever they're doing it's definately unconventional. Huh

GNR are keeping much of this on the lowdown, because they want the release to be viewed as "real", rolling right out of the streets with credibility.  Moreover, the more they push things out there, it gives the U2 (I personally love the older stuff)/Jack Johnson, yuppie, jock sniffing WASP's/pretensious journalists time to get together their pre-album schlocking (without hearing it, many critics already have a canned, overly critical review ready) into the pop culture universe. They are playing this beautifully--and lying in hiding for the ambush!  GNR wants to appeal to the hipsters, punks, junkies, college kids, and every other reject the world over.  They are not pandering for the golf pants wearing yuppies, who bend over and take it from their white collared boss and Fortune 500 company everyday.  They don't need the "Born on 4th of July," eating Apple Pie crowd.  They are playing for something more long term--shooting for the history books and legacy. 

BTW, people complaing about lack of promotion are nuts.  During the past five years, no album has had more collective hype and hyperbole surrounding it than Chinese Democracy.  The tour is selling well, and is gaining a buzz--it's exciting, it's dangerous, it's a new band, and it's not a safe show like the Stones or Aerosmith.  Announce the release date with a single two to three weeks before the release, and hit like a fuckin cross-fire Hurricane!!  Uzi fuckin Suicide! 

BTW it's coming in November!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 09:42:37 PM by Minneapolisnewsman » Logged
axlrosehunny
Banned
Rocker

I like cake

« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2006, 09:48:47 PM »

Think about it. Do you really think the record company would, just release this album, just like that. No promotion, no single, no video, nothing. Just one tuesday it shows up on the shelves? Ya that isnt going to happen. They have so much ridding on the album, in just the money spent on producing they are going to market the fuck out of it.

When has a CD come out recently with nothing to back it up??? I cant think of any.

Look at the new CD The Killers just came out with(Sams Town). Here in Edmonton, they were almost on the second released single on the radio, before it was released. Same with the new Pearl Jam, same with U2 and same with a couple of years ago Velvet Revolver.

I know. To be honest the doubts of a 2006 release are again starting to creep in. I mean it's idiotic the way they are going about things. The general consensus was that the album won't come out on December 26th(I was one who thought it could) so that makes it December 19th as the latest it could come out. It's amazing that we're just over two months away from the latest possible release date and yet we have no word of a single, and no hint to an album release date. 11 Tuesdays left and only 10 if we don't count Dec, 26th. Promo needs to start RIGHT FUCKING NOW! I just dont' get what all the secrecy is about right now. You can't help but wonder if even they(the abnd and management) know if the album will be out this year. Whatever they're doing it's definately unconventional. Huh

GNR are keeping much of this on the lowdown, because they want the release to be viewed as "real", rolling right out of the streets, with credibility. Moreover, the more they push things out there, it gives the U2 (I personally love the older stuff)/Jack Johnson, yuppie, jock sniffing WASP's/pretensious journalists time to get together their pre-album schlocking (without hearing it, many critics already have a canned, overly critical review ready) into the pop culture universe. They are playing this beautifully--and lying in hiding for the ambush! GNR wants to appeal to the hipsters, punks, junkies, college kids, and every other reject the world over. They are not pandering for the golf pants wearing yuppies who bend over and take it from their white collared boss and Fortune 500 company everyday. They don't need the born on 4th of July, eating Apple Pie crowd. They are playing for something more long term--shooting for the history books and legacy.

BTW, people complaing about lack of promotion are nuts. During the past five years, no album has had more collective hype and hyperbole than Chinese Democracy. The tour, is selling well, and is gaining a buzz--it's exciting, it's dangerous, it's a new band, and it's not a safe show like the Stones or Aerosmith. Announce the release date with a single two to three weeks before the release, and hit like a fuckin cross-fire Hurricane!! Uzi fuckin Suicide!

BTW it's coming in November!

So I guess I am nuts then.

But read this, then tell me you arnt nuts as well.

You say Guns N Roses isnt a safe show?  Oh really...   Well from every bootleg I have seen and for every review I have read this year, they pretty much have the same setlist(Give or take 3-5 songs).  Dont kid your self, this is not the GNR of 1987, they are pretty safe.  For the most part the band isnt even allowed to speak about certain things unless given permision or whatever.   Ya that is so not safe...

You dont think they want to appeal to everyone?  Axl is fucking 40 years old.  I think he is going to appeal more today to a 40 year old than to a 16 year old.  If he dosnt, wouldnt he be like a Micheal Jackson or something, just to a different crowd.  (sorry that would be a 40 year old to a 9 year old, but you get the point).  The point really is, HE(Axl) and the record company and the bands managment is going to try and sell this album to who ever they can.  Money talks baby.  Just look at Green Day.  Think they are turning any yuppies and goofs away from buying there last album, No.   The band grows up and so does the audience.  You really think this album is going to be about getting high on smack, hitting a bitch, or drinking wine?   Fuck no.  I hope not anyways.  I am 26 years old and that shit was cool around 10 years ago.  (Ok the whole hitting a bitch thing is still cool)

You talk about this new band and how excitting they are.   Hey I am all for change and I think this new band rocks, BUT until I see an album and see who wrote what who played on what etc..   These guys are just a bunch of touring mucians playing Axl's songs.   

Ya so I guess I am nuts for complaining about the lack of promotion then.  This is my fav band on the planet.   Axl is god to me.   All I want is to hear something, anything.   Probably like most hard core fans.  But we are nuts for wanting this?  I really hope this is not the attitude of the band or I think I would have to be nuts to buy this album when it comes out.

Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2006, 09:53:16 PM »

Well, that's cool--to each his own.  We all have our opinions.

My bet is this:  1st single on Halloween, with the release date.
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2006, 10:10:18 AM »

My guess is the album will be out November 27, 2007 right in time for black friday.

Only 9 or so tuesdays left in 2006, 56 left in 2007.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2006, 10:12:32 AM »

just want to chime in also on the Jay Z thing. Obviously they won't be put out on the same day but I would think that a Jay Z album is gonna have a bigger opening week than CD based simply on promo and MTV. The promo for Jay Z's album has already begun and what have Gn'R done for Promo? NOTHING except tour? while playing a set hugely lopsided with old songs. Hell all the promo here on radio(if any) goes like this: Guns N' Roses with Axl Rose will be at the saddledome on December 6th...que Jungle, SCOM, or PC. There's barely a? whisper about CD and to be honest it's getting ridiculous. Hell U2 is putting out their Best Of album on Nov, 21st and they've already had the new single on radio here for a week or so. When does Gn'R plan on starting some type of promo? It boggles the mind that little to nothing has been done so far. Huh

I would classify "by the end of the year" as soon.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2006, 01:50:25 PM »

My guess is the album will be out November 27, 2007 right in time for black friday.

Only 9 or so tuesdays left in 2006, 56 left in 2007.

Thanksgiving is on the 22nd next year, making "Black Friday" the 23rd. So you're idea won't work, sorry. 

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
Mattattack
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2006, 04:35:05 PM »

I think you guys are all way too concerned about Chinese Democracy hitting number one right away. Axl has been working on an album that will be a classic, and sales over the long term are what counts. Led Zeppelin IV never went to number one and it's one of the greatest, biggest selling, highest regarded albums in rock history. This is what Axl is looking to compete with, not some ass clown called Jigga, or a greatest hits album from an Irish politician. Axl is looking to compete against such albums as Zeppelin IV, Darkside, Appetite For Destruction, and Sticky Fingers. You guys make way to big a deal about CD going to number one in it's first week. I would prefer it if CD went to number one months after it came out.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2006, 04:38:42 PM »

We're not concerned about it getting to number one right away.  It's Geffen who will be, because that's how record labels think.  We're talking from the point of view of a record industry exec here, not as us.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: