Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 08:49:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228126 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What is GN'R for you?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is GN'R for you?  (Read 5760 times)
The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« on: October 05, 2006, 03:32:07 AM »

Hi all, for years I don't watch MTV anymore (too much crap) but this week they showed a documentary "History Of Metal"

I don't want to start a thread about if Guns is hardrock or metal or whatsoever, but in anycase they did MEAN something in the scene when sthey tarted (back in '80s).
Of course they evolved...in UYI era, Rock & metal music became very popular, GN'R (also Metallica with the black album) made this happen and were inspiration for a lot of new (rock - metal) bands out there now.

But if you look to Guns back in the 80's they were real mean motherfuckers. Rocking your asses off, the most dangerous band out there!
With the UYI era there were more ballads (NR, Estranged, etc) which also made a lot of "new fans", ok let's face it: they were more commercial, etc...

My question, or poll, is: What is GN'R for you? (why did/do you like them in the first place):

1. a fucking great rockband on the edge, with one of the best (crazy) frontmen ever
2. an 'emo' rockband with a brilliant songwriter (Axl & 'a band')

(no discussion about new vs old gn'r!!)

For me it was 1

There is a difference between the opinion of the majority and the thruth...
snakepipero
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 03:39:15 AM »

What is GN'R for me? The best Band ever. They gave me some of the best feelins in my life since i started to hear them at 15 and now i'm 23 so in the past 8 years they changed my life, and I started to play guitar and bass (I can play the two; I have a band where I play the bass and I can play guitar really well too)due to fuckin' Slash and Duff, they're my fuckin' idols as Axl and the rest of the guys
bangit
Rocker

Here Today..been on mygnr for past few years.

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 03:40:40 AM »

1 + 2

Guns n roses tto me is all about axl rose, his musical direction changed and as im sure we will see with chi dem, probably evolved even more.

The whole package of Hard rock, then big bastard ballards is just perfect, it shows how talented the artist is, to write hard hitting heavy stuff then switching to an estranged / nov rain ballard is just awesome.

Rock in Rio Lisbon 2006, Download Dublin 2006, Sheffield 2006, Helsinki Live festival 2010, Leeds Festival 2010, Manchester 2010! 6 fucking amazing experiences! Where in 2012?Huh?
snakepipero
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 03:45:10 AM »

But I can't understand your poll, Neither choice 1 or 2 are the ones that can describe Guns to me i choose ................................................................................................... ................................................................................................... .... 3: The best band ever with a fuckin' badass guitar players team (slash and Izzy), a really solid ryhtmic team (Duff and Matt or Steven) and the best and more paranoic frontman ever (Axl Rose).

That's my choice
Disco Volante
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 03:47:01 AM »

Now Gnr is emo?
melissa
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 03:50:28 AM »

GnR is a great rock band with an attitude. to me, it's more about Axl, great songwriter, who has been able to take all his experiences, good or bad, and put them into brilliant lyrics.
the best part is that all its members have just completed one another. seeing them live is a great experience.

codenameninja
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 06:08:25 AM »

i'm really not sure.. as i like so many other bands too..

.as much as i like what i have heard of the new music from Gn'R, the Gn'R sound has gone, and i'm not sure for better or worse. I won't really be able to pass judgement until the album CD is released  peace

« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 08:15:40 AM by codenameninja » Logged
JB9988
VIP

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 08:35:51 AM »

For me it was 1

GNR IS NOT FUCKING EMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rant

AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 08:41:11 AM »

GN'R are not emo!
I think emo has suddenly become the phrase that people use for any music they don't like... it used to be nu-metal, but now it's emo.  It's stupid.

Anyway... I like them because of both - they're an amazing rock band with one of the best frontmen ever who could simultaneously rock out and tug at the heartstrings.  If they only did the hard, fast rock songs then I wouldn't like them as much.  If they only did piano-led epic ballads, I wouldn't like them as much... it's the fact that they managed to successfully blend them, and aren't afraid to experiment with an abundance of styles - and pulled them all off marvellously - that I love them.

Nothing worse than a band who just gets stuck in a rut because they refuse to experiment and evolve.
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 08:45:48 AM »

wait a minute... did u just said that GN?R are a emo band?HuhHuhHuh??' Huh Huh Huh god man...that?s the end! tell me it was a mistake.. just tell me that! or I will never be the same lol...

c?mon.. u can do better than that.... ok

and btw, emo fucking sucks... its so sad that there r so few pure rock bands left in the states... that all there is now is fucking emo bands and hip-hop... no

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
dub05
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 09:05:51 AM »

Guns to me is a band that smacked me in the face in 1987  after a gap of 10 yrs since the last slap (sex pistols).

Both bands just seemed to light up a dreary music scene at the time.

I honestly couldn't see either of the bands lasting that long & i was right .(original set -up).

Ihave no worries whatsoever that people are gonna love whats on the way & it's gonna slap me in the face again. peace   

russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 09:34:11 AM »

Hi all, for years I don't watch MTV anymore (too much crap) but this week they showed a documentary "History Of Metal"

I don't want to start a thread about if Guns is hardrock or metal or whatsoever, but in anycase they did MEAN something in the scene when sthey tarted (back in '80s).
Of course they evolved...in UYI era, Rock & metal music became very popular, GN'R (also Metallica with the black album) made this happen and were inspiration for a lot of new (rock - metal) bands out there now.

But if you look to Guns back in the 80's they were real mean motherfuckers. Rocking your asses off, the most dangerous band out there!
With the UYI era there were more ballads (NR, Estranged, etc) which also made a lot of "new fans", ok let's face it: they were more commercial, etc...

My question, or poll, is: What is GN'R for you? (why did/do you like them in the first place):

1. a fucking great rockband on the edge, with one of the best (crazy) frontmen ever

For me it was 1

1) Easily.

If you would've asked me in 1992 if Axl Rose could ever replace the band with people that rocked just as hard with just as much feeling I'd have said you're nuts.

Part of my answer is based on the fact that I would've been dead wrong.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 09:58:27 AM »

GNR IS NOT FUCKING EMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rant

Ok, I agree, the word "EMO" was maybe not the correct word to use, but what I mean with "emo" is the difference between the Appetite era and the UYI era

Nothing wrong with the illusion albums!!! I like the UYI very much, as much as the appetite, but it is different.
Appetite is raw, rocks your ass off and it gave GN'R the name of "Most dangerous band out there"with a crazy but one of a hell frontmen.
UYI still kicked ass, but it was more mainstream. Due to songs likeNovember Rain, Don't Cry, ...etc. Dont get me wrong, I think those are magnificent songs! Estranged is my favorite all-time song.
But because these songs are more "inviting" for non-rockers, GN'R suddenly had "new" fans who were not all into rock music. They bought the UYI albums, but I wonder if they bought appetite.

There is a difference between the opinion of the majority and the thruth...
miss bomb
Rocker

nanook

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 10:02:41 AM »

gnr was always because of the songs, and the energry and excitment. luckily, i still believe they have that; even more so than before  beer and axl can certainly still write amazing songs.  ok

7.6.6,11.6.6,29.7.6x2,10.11.6
Cleopatra2U
Rocker

I might be too much but honey you're a bit obscene

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 11:12:16 AM »

I have to admit, I really don't understand the term "emo".? I don't think that term was even around when I started listening to GNR in 1988.? So, based on your choices, I'd have to pick #1.

To me, GNR is the single greatest American rock-n-roll band of all time; AFD is the single greatest album of all time; and the hot-tempered, enigmatic yet charismatic, and drop-dead-sexy (to me anyway) Axl Rose is one of rock-n-roll's greatest frontmen of all time.

AFD was a big part of the soundtrack to my youth.? I was a metalhead back then, and the best thing about AFD was that all manner of metalheads,? from hair band fans to thrash/speed metal fans, were into it -- GNR was one of the few bands we could all agree upon.? Looking back, I find it a bit ironic that a band so angry and anarchic could be so unifying, but hey, that's what GREAT MUSIC does...? GREAT MUSIC unites...? And GREAT MUSIC lasts.

This is why I still like GNR after all these years.? They're one of the few artists I listened to in high school that I still give a sh!t about today.? Axl plays a HUGE part in this.? I had a hard time growing up; it's little wonder that I could relate to a troubled young man from a fucked-up family who sang about "lookin' for a trace, lookin' for a heart, lookin' for a lover in a world that's much too dark".? I could relate to his anger, his sadness, his pain.  These days, neither of us seems to be as troubled as we once were, but teenage infatuation never really dies...? I still think Axl is HOT as HELL...? I still love GNR's music...? And I'm still very interested in what Axl has to sing about.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 11:17:01 AM by Cleopatra2U » Logged
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 11:12:31 AM »

GNr is a band that influence me a lot, I love them since I was 11 years old and it's a feeling you can't describe but is one of the best bands that ever walked the earth  peace

No man can be my equal
pollyblue
Rocker

t.w.a.t.

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 11:14:27 AM »

gn'r is the only band in the world with a frontman that fits me.
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 11:31:25 AM »

i think is a combination of both... "a fucking great rockband on the edge (no matter the members.. PROVED) with a brilliant songwriter that is also one of the best frontmen ever"

but i dont know why people thinks that gnr changed when AFD was "raw" and UYI had ballads and a more mainstream sound...
the rawness in AFD was a very calculated and half of the songs that are in UYIs are from  AFD era... so is not like they changed is more like they used these things as masterplan to have success... also great bands have to reinvent themselves even more when the debut album is a legend.. they need to make things different.. and that is also that they knew it from the first day (at least axl)

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
deanaxlrose
Rocker

Hey, where's my Avatar ?

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2006, 11:40:10 AM »

GNR is everything to me. because Axl, I learn hard to sing like him. now Im obsessed to become a Rockstar.
if i never heard estranged in my childhood. maybe I have a wife and son now. yes
still livin' in Rock N' Roll dreams hihi.

My life is so Fuckin' Boring...Until The Chinese Democracy Comes.
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2006, 02:39:07 PM »

I remember when i was in third grade my sister brought home the "Welcome to the Videos" VHS and we watched it. I immediatly loved WTTJ and the songs that followed. So i went outy and bought the albums and have loved them ever sense. They were the first band I ever got into. Sense then i have always stuck to my guns, backing axl and spreading the word about the new band. and of course, patiently waiting.

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: