Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 11:35:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  GN'R @ the 2002 MTV VMAs thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GN'R @ the 2002 MTV VMAs thread  (Read 45449 times)
cg-gnr4life
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2003, 10:31:02 PM »

glad to be here  Grin [peace]
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2003, 12:55:01 AM »

Grin Wink Smiley Cheesy Cool [love] [ok][ok] [peace] [peace] [beer] [wow] [smoking]

I know its the 1,000,000,000th times that a post is being made about Axl's performance at the MTV VMA's, but this is different.

I just played the first 35 second of my video file of the MTV Medley, in which Axl sings for the first 22 seconds straight Shocked...I dunno if anyone has caught on this or has noted it yet on these message boards, but it is the most amazing 22 seconds of Axl's banshee howl that I personally have ever heard...even better than those 11 seconds of bashee yelling he did back in Rock In Rio 2 before WTTJ:

...the way he straddles up the stage with his head down (at first) [ok]
...the way he plants the mike stand and shifts hands on the mike  [smoking]
...the way he holds on himself on the mike stand [yes]
...the INSANE glare of a reflected stage light on the camera coming from his phat sunglasses as he steadies himself up easily on the mike stand  [wow]
...the way he bobs up and down as opens his mouth completely and lets the vintage Axl vocal sound roll THUNDEROUSLY from his mouth  [beer]...

then at the tail end of this 22 seconds of one of Axl's greatest recorded live vocals, his voice goes DEAD and implodes instead of exploding on the television audience [crying]

We've all discussed the rest of the performance before anyways, I just want some opinions from people who would like to comment on these 22 seconds.
 [peace]
MNR
« Last Edit: February 25, 2003, 01:08:18 AM by marknroses » Logged

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
SLCPUNK
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2003, 02:51:59 AM »

I just watched it earlier and honestly I agree. I think the opening is bad ASS! He really draws that howl out in the begining of Jungle.

I will agree this doesn't need to be discussed again though. I just found it funny because I was just watching it like 10 minutes before getting on and I watched that one part maybe five times.
One in a million
Rocker

Rock N Roll LifeStyle!

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2003, 07:27:09 AM »

Best 22 seconds on MTV last year.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
You know I'd like to hurt you
But my conscience always tells me no
Michelle
Miss Agreeable Austrian
Legend

Axl's Girl

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2003, 08:12:58 AM »

Best 22 seconds on MTV last year.

Haha, yeah, definitely! [ok] [smoking]

I was totally impressed too by the intro to Jungle even though for the rest of the song Axl didn't sound at his best but the beginning was simply amazing! [smoking]

It's a miracle how long we can stay in a world our mind's created, in a world that's full of shit - Coma
Conny
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2003, 12:06:19 PM »

I've heard like 40 different live versions of this song, and this intro was the best of all. It scared the shit outt me, it pumped me up...it had it all.
Michelle
Miss Agreeable Austrian
Legend

Axl's Girl

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2003, 01:04:51 PM »

Yeah, absolutely true [ok] When I realized that Guns would really take the stage I was so excited and then I heard that intro... as someone else already said: Probably the best 22 seconds on MTV in a fuckin' while! This intro was definitely way better than the major part during the Illusions tour. [yes]

It's a miracle how long we can stay in a world our mind's created, in a world that's full of shit - Coma
T.J.
Headliner

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2003, 01:16:09 PM »

[smoking] even before the howl, when the guitar chords kicked in on the start of welcome to the jungle it was brill just hearing it and in some way sounded so much more dominaring and brillant and fucking roses, ok so its not the slash co but it was cool.  [peace]
molotov cocktail
Rocker

love and hate, beer and pot, guns n roses

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2003, 01:24:20 PM »

it was a kickass screaming introduction that gave me goosebumps and all that good shit. ill admit it wasnt the best performance that could have been given but it was an amazing moment ill never forget [hihi]

something i always wondered was why axl chose to start the song with that scream instead of the famous "YOU KNOW WHERE THE FUCK YOU ARE!!!!!?Huh" nothing gets a gnr crowd more pumped than to hear those words i mean CMON!! its like  [drooling] Grin [nervous] anyways i suppose he didnt use it cause it wouldve killed the moment if MTV dubbed the profanities that axl used. plus saying "you know where you are" just doesnt sound nearly as badass.

i was only a small child when the thought first came to me, that im a son of a gun and the gun of a son, that brought back the devil in me.
Michelle
Miss Agreeable Austrian
Legend

Axl's Girl

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2003, 01:28:19 PM »

Yeah, the well known "do you know where the FUCK you are?" would have been great, but as you say, maybe not that great on MTV coz it probably would have been like that on TV: "do you know where the - piep - you are?" That just doesn't sound good at all... [peace]

SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2003, 01:32:09 PM »

I agree whole-heartedly!!!

Unfortunately I also believe that it was this most incredible scream that sparked Axl's "windedness". I mean how do you recover from a 22 second scream from hell while running around and singing a song whose lyrics have such balls?!  Undecided

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
T.J.
Headliner

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2003, 01:44:48 PM »

maybe not that great on MTV coz it probably would have been like that on TV: "do you know where the - piep - you are?" That just doesn't sound good at all... [peace]

it went out live so they wouldn't be able to bleeb it would they?
Michelle
Miss Agreeable Austrian
Legend

Axl's Girl

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2003, 01:49:35 PM »

Yeah, sure. But all the repeats would have had the "piep" in it. [peace]

KillYourIdols
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2003, 04:26:32 PM »

It would have been bleeped because they run it on a tape delay....for the specific reason to catch profanities.

I mean--they caught Fallon saying the f word. "Guns, n' bleepin roses"

~KYI
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2003, 04:55:14 PM »

Axl stopped using the You know where the FUCK you are part in the US tour he only said "You know where you are" which sucked! Better just scream like VMA instead of taking the F word and sounding zero bad ass
cazny
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2003, 05:08:41 PM »

SO it's not "badass" anymore just because he doesn't curse? Get serious people. Grow up just a tad bit. You don't have to swear or curse to sound badass nor do you have to sound badass. Axl didn't even say a word at the vma and that was badass. That simply blew away EVERYONE in the room!  The reason why he probably only did it that time is because it obviously stole away his breath for the rest of the song (almost).  Also, funny how the topic title is "22 seconds"...did someone really time it?  Grin
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2003, 06:18:31 PM »

It would have been bleeped because they run it on a tape delay....for the specific reason to catch profanities.

I mean--they caught Fallon saying the f word. "Guns, n' bleepin roses"

~KYI

I seem to remember hearing him say Guns N' Fucking Roses. I watched the live broadcast.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Dragon
Rocker

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2003, 06:54:26 PM »

I remember it so clearly, I was studying in the last minute for an exam.
It was in the middle of the night(sweden) and I had heard rumours on the internet that they might perform on the VMA and yes they did.

I almost had an heart attack from the excitement of seeing them, that also made me give a f**k about the exam. And it made me walk around for a month with a smile on my face, but one thing bottered me. No one I knew had seen the VMA, so that kind of sucked not having anyone to share it with.
But I have to say that those 22 seconds where awsome.
AxlsPiano
Rocker

Rock N Roll Will Return

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2003, 08:11:32 PM »

Know why they started using a delay on live award shows like that?

Slash
Duff
American music awards
 [rofl] [hihi]
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2003, 09:08:22 PM »

Without a doubt , those 22 secs were entirely engrossing...I was fucking pumped.....I wasnt chatting on the boards and I didnt hear rumors.I was just watching the show and as it went on near the end I saw Fallon in a GNR shirt.....and I was like WTF........the excitement started to build I ran into the bedroom where my BF was and almost screamed "I think GNR are gonna perform!!!!!!!!!".........Fallon kept mentioning a surprise and when at last as he was just about to announce them I freaked the fuck out!........I was a lunatic.....turned my 56 in HDTV up to the max and with surround sound......the words Guns n Fucking Roses came out and Tears of joy fell from my face.......it was indeed a beautiful moment! [ok] [peace] [beer]

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: