Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 04:23:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228137 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  what day do singles come out in U.S
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: what day do singles come out in U.S  (Read 4458 times)
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« on: October 04, 2006, 05:14:27 AM »

hey folks with all this talk of tuesday releases for the album, i was thinking it is much more likely that the single will be out first, is there a particular day of the week that singles come out state side? that way, we can "speculate" when the single will come out? drool

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 06:53:28 AM »

hey folks with all this talk of tuesday releases for the album, i was thinking it is much more likely that the single will be out first, is there a particular day of the week that singles come out state side? that way, we can "speculate" when the single will come out? drool

If by single you mean a song getting released to radio, that generally happens on Thursdays or Fridays.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
WhatIsItMan
VIP

What IS it Man?!

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 11:14:10 AM »

That makes sense, because labels usually mail singles to radio stations on Tuesday.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 11:16:28 AM »

i don't think singles are too popular in north america though so we may not even get one on sale to the public Undecided

Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 11:29:35 AM »

i don't think singles are too popular in north america though so we may not even get one on sale to the public Undecided

yeah.
I think they make some singles, but they are not easy to get your hands on.
But anyway i belive we will hear the single on radio, possibility to download, on itunes and so on...

Dont think Tool - Vicarious was released in mass production on a single record. ?

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 11:35:54 AM »

Tuesday.

ten ten  peace
IndiannaRose
VIP

AiN'T iT FuN WhEn YoU KnOw YoU'Re GoNnA DiE YoUnG

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 11:50:32 AM »

People, for the last time...A single doesn't necessarily have to be a 'physical' object. Singles nowadays, in U.S. market terms, are mostly marketed by radio play. With radio play there comes an immense audience of people that tune in who could possibly be leaned to buy the record after listening to it. Also, don't forget the recent surge of power that downloaded singles have gained.  Popular singles get downloaded on iTunes by the hundred thousands and millions (usually only the top 3).

A single would promote this upcoming tour very well. A video would only maximize exposure as well. Don't forget that there are plenty of other domestic and international music outlets that still play videos as well as the multiple subsidiaries of the major music channels (MTV & VH1).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 11:56:39 AM by IndiannaRose » Logged
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 12:29:04 PM »

My question is are albums still released without singles ever?
Eclipsed107
VIP

Fucked over in Philly - 12/06/02

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 06:02:10 PM »

Tis my birthday.  That'd be a great day for the new single. Grin  Even tho it won't happen.

If I said you had a beautiful body, would you take your pants off and dance around a little?
ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 06:10:54 PM »

Albums are definitely released without singles these days.
The Cure's Bloodflowers didn't have a single.
Kid A by Radiohead didn't have a single.
10000 Days by Tool still hasn't had a single yet.

Songs never did need singles to be played on the radio.
Betterman and Do The Evolution never had singles released, but they were still constantly played on the radio.

Did Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd ever release singles?
Eclipsed107
VIP

Fucked over in Philly - 12/06/02

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 02:15:46 AM »

Single today means the song that goes for radio promotion.

Usually DJ's get cds from record labels with a song or 2 on it, and that's the song that's played on the raido.  Like Crazy Bitch.

That's what we're talking about Ryan.

That way, the raido stations will have something to play before CD comes out.

If I said you had a beautiful body, would you take your pants off and dance around a little?
daviebuckethead
VIP

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 05:19:08 AM »

yeah, but that was over 30 years ago, and i think in the 80's floyd did release singles "learn to fly " etc. from monetary lapse of reason. anyways, time moves on and there was that much buzz about zepp and floyd that they didn't have to release singles, magazines/radio did all that for them.

A single is of massive importance now, look at the artists just now that flood the charts (jay-z, beyonce, green day, aguilera, etc etc,) they are all pish, but they have singles/videos to reach audiences to sell their album, or let the fans see that they have one in the pipeline.

also, gnr is a band that has, for all intents and purposes, been out the limelight for over a decade, they need a single to let people see that they are back making new music, thats not my opinion i think thats a fact. ok

from what i read in the thread it seems that singles don't really matter in the U.S.

so with that in mind is there a specific day of the wqeek when new videos are aired (or is it completely random? Undecided)

or, is there a certian day of the week when new songs (singles) are uploaded to i-tunes/ various other digital download sites?

cheers
dave
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 05:25:45 AM by daviebuckethead » Logged

russtcb
Legend

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 07:54:48 AM »

Yes. Pink Floyd had a top ten hit with Money and a number one hit with Another Brick In The Wall (Part II). Zep released singles off of every album except The Song Remains The Song.

The literal, physical single has changed through the years. Obviously (or I guess I should say probably) we're not going to get an actual CD5 or anything with a single song and a B-side or two on it.

But the record company will most definately decide on a song they wanted played on rock radio and send that out to stations for rotation adds.

That and the $.99 download are what define "single" more then anything these days.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 01:13:09 AM »

i havent seen a U.S single released here since like 1994, all singles i see in stores are usually imports...unless its some pop band, they still  make singles in the U.S
HamsterDemocracy
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 01:14:32 AM »

Do people ever use Google?  Grin
Goddamn_Electric
Rocker

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 07:08:12 AM »

I've kind of got a connection in Radio.  I just sent him an email to see if he has any news on a GNR single hitting the airwaves anytime soon.

11/17/02 Mark of the Quad Cities
11/27/06 Rosemont Horizon
2/19/2012 House of Blues Chicago
7/1/2016 Soldier Field Chicago
7/3/2016 Soldier Field Chicago
10/13/2019 Exit 111 Festival
TheMole
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 07:22:27 AM »

If singles aren't released anymore in the US, what are charts based on then? The Billboard Hot 100 doesn't go by sales?
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2006, 07:25:38 AM »

Im not really gonna read thru all this thread m caue, well its dumb!

NOt on the sence that people llisten to the radio, but if thatis you listen to, well your a few clicks behind.

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2006, 08:56:38 AM »

If singles aren't released anymore in the US, what are charts based on then? The Billboard Hot 100 doesn't go by sales?

I'm not an expert on this, but I believe the US Singles chart is based mostly on radio plays which are somewhat dictated by requests.

I know that the online sales do factor in somewhere too.

daviebuckethead
VIP

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2006, 10:28:10 AM »

I'm not an expert on this, but I believe the US Singles chart is based mostly on radio plays which are somewhat dictated by requests.

I know that the online sales do factor in somewhere too.

if thats the case that means that record companies/ artists could bribe djs to play their song heavy rotation and essentialy buy their way to no.1................im figuring a lot of people hate GnR (with no good reason) so that may hamper the chart sucess?

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: