Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 01:23:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why doesnt GNR tour with another HUGE Band----
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why doesnt GNR tour with another HUGE Band----  (Read 16243 times)
Bono
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2006, 11:44:40 PM »

I am not a major U2 fan, but they dwarf GNR in popularity, and would never bother doing a tour with any other major band because they sell-out stadiums all on their own. Bono has trascended himself into a global icon for all of his work with the U.N and underprivilaged people. All while still managing to make great music. Neither now, nor in the future would there ever be a need for that band to have GNR around.

Naupis said it not me!!! hihi

Another reason why I think Guns touring with a  big band wouldn't be a good thing is because it might come across as though Axl's "New Guns N' Roses" were riding the coattails of the other big band. By not touring with other huge bands it shows Guns are willing to build this thing up on thier own and work for it rather than have it given to them. But as I said earlier that idea runs a tiny bit hollow when they still have the Gn'R named attatched. that's an entirely different topic though. peace
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2006, 11:44:59 PM »

GNR cant share his spotlight now.. he resurrection cant be split in a half with a co-headline tour

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2006, 11:47:48 PM »

This would certainly be my dream tour as GNR and U2 are my two favorite bands, respectively.

I know there isn't a chance in hell of this ever happening but a gal can dream...

I only got to see U2 once, coincidentally at MSG and they were just amazing.? I was in the pit and Bono was right there in front of me, ahhhh, the memories....

Hey Bandita I was wondering when it was you saw U2 at MSG? I saw them at MSG also last October 8th. It was an amazing show for sure. They even played Fast Cars headbanger?

Sorry guys that was a bit off topic. beer

As a matter a fact it was!? My birthday is Oct 4 and the tix were a present! hihi

Sorry for going off topic!
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2006, 11:49:57 PM »

Bono, it would be a "co-headlining' tour. No one would open for anyone.
rofl James, one band has to play first. It would have to be Guns N' Roses.  Imagine U2 going onstage and opening the show and then once they were done the fans have to wait around for a few hours before Guns takes the stage. I'm almost positive the majority(cause 85% of the venue would be filled with U2 fans hihi) of the fans would leave.  The U2 fans would not bother with that BS unless they are  a diehards of both bands like me. It could be called a Co-headlining tour but Gn'R would have to play first. This isn't a U2 ego thing by any means(they opened Live Cool it's just the way it would have to be for it to be anyway successfull.
What makes you think GNR has to open? Axl likes going on late, while U2 likes showing up on time. U2 can go on first without bruising their egos. Give both bands a 2 and a half hour set. Whats the problem with that? As far as the stage is concerned, if both bands could agree on a stage that would end that possible problem.

Bono
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2006, 11:51:22 PM »

As a matter a fact it was!? My birthday is Oct 4 and the tix were a present! hihi

that's freaking weird because the girl I went with, her birthday is also October 4th! ?We flew in from Calgary on the 4th and celebrated her birthday on the plane. Grin
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2006, 11:54:28 PM »

U2 can go on first without bruising their egos.

You must be smoking something. A band like U2 would never go on the road and open for any band on any tour, short of a one of gig with some sort of Rock legends like the Stones who may invite them or something. Every band has an ego, and you think someone the stature of Bono would be OK with opening for what is for all intents and purposes a new band? Pass me some of whatever your smoking.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2006, 11:54:47 PM »

ugh i hope to god GNR never tours with a shitty band like U2.   They dont fit together at all, not even a little bit.  I wouldn't sit thru a U2 concert for anything.

I think Papa Roach opening is good enough.  They are pretty popular amongst the younger fans of rock music.   ITs GNR they don't need any other band's help getting tickets sold.
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2006, 11:58:18 PM »

that's freaking weird because the girl I went with, her birthday is also October 4th! ?We flew in from Calgary on the 4th and celebrated her birthday on the plane. Grin

Ha, too funny.

Jim Bob, how can you even attempt to diss a group with history like U2.? Say you don't like them, yes, everyone has an opinion but there is no way in hell you can call the band shitty.? You certainly cannot diss a man like Bono and everything he has done against poverty including the creation of The One Campaign.

You need to broaden your music taste a little bit.?

But this being said, if anything like this was ever to happen they would need to tour at some pretty huge stadiums, especially here in the NY area because it would sell out in a milisecond.? They would have to do some Bruce Springsteen type thing and play like 8 shows in a row to satisfy the fans!

PS-Jim Bob-

Axl and Co. played November Rain with Elton John, you remember this, yes?  Now tell me he is the same genre and he sucks too..... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 11:59:55 PM by Bandita » Logged
Bono
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2006, 12:01:20 AM »

What makes you think GNR has to open? Axl likes going on late, while U2 likes showing up on time. U2 can go on first without bruising their egos. Give both bands a 2 and a half hour set. Whats the problem with that? As far as the stage is concerned, if both bands could agree on a stage that would end that possible problem.

I suppose you're right. U2's set is long enough that the lay over time between bands could be minimal. But then with U2 opening you're in a ?situation where the opening band would be putting on a ?better show Wink. ?As far as the stage set up goes Axl would have to be barred from using the U2 catwalk. There's no way we need a 40+ year old Axl running around that thing while trying to sing. Grin Hnetsly though stage setup in an arena would eb a problem. u2's last two tours ahve been open stage setup. 360 around ?with fans sitting behind the stage with an unobstructed view. it'd be hard to amek that work with Gn'R's setup. Undecided

By the time I see Gn'R in December I will have a few unbiased opinions to share with you guys. Two friends of mine who hated U2 but I convinced them to come see them with me. After the show they both told me nothing even comes close to them live. They was literally blown away. they're both coming with me in December to see Guns N' Roses. One loves the old band and Axl ?and the other simply likes Gn'R ?better than U2 so it'll be interesting(at least for me) to see how they compare the two shows.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2006, 12:04:30 AM »

U2 can go on first without bruising their egos.

You must be smoking something. A band like U2 would never go on the road and open for any band on any tour, short of a one of gig with some sort of Rock legends like the Stones who may invite them or something. Every band has an ego, and you think someone the stature of Bono would be OK with opening for what is for all intents and purposes a new band? Pass me some of whatever your smoking.
Did you even read my post? They wouldnt be an opening act. They would have equal billing with GNR. Each band's show the same length. Going on first doesnt make them an "opener". Hell, they can throw Papa Roach in there to please people like you that think a headliner is an opener.

Bono, I agree about the stage setup. Some sort of compromise would have to be made by both bands.

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2006, 12:08:47 AM »

As a matter a fact it was!  My birthday is Oct 4 and the tix were a present! hihi

that's freaking weird because the girl I went with, her birthday is also October 4th!  We flew in from Calgary on the 4th and celebrated her birthday on the plane. Grin

Ha, too funny.

Jim Bob, how can you even attempt to diss a group with history like U2.  Say you don't like them, yes, everyone has an opinion but there is no way in hell you can call the band shitty.  You certainly cannot diss a man like Bono and everything he has done against poverty including the creation of The One Campaign.

You need to broaden your music taste a little bit. 

But this being said, if anything like this was ever to happen they would need to tour at some pretty huge stadiums, especially here in the NY area because it would sell out in a milisecond.  They would have to do some Bruce Springsteen type thing and play like 8 shows in a row to satisfy the fans!

PS-Jim Bob-

Axl and Co. played November Rain with Elton John, you remember this, yes?  Now tell me he is the same genre and he sucks too..... Roll Eyes

if i dont like a band, in my mind they are a shitty band.  i think their music is shitty.   thats just me.  i realize theres people that love it, but its not my thing and I would hope Axl would never subject his fans to a show with a band like that.  I dont give a shit what Bono does or if he saves the world from aids and poverty and all that shit.   That doesn't mean he makes good music or is a good singer.   I just dont like it.  Its not about broadening my musical tastes, I'd say they are rather broad.   There is no band out there that everybody likes and its impossible to not like.  just a matter of taste.   And i dont see most GNR fans eager to see a U2 show or even vice versa.  most u2 fans are probably not into stuff as heavy as GNR.   They just dont fit, thats the point I'm making. 

edit: Axl and the boys playin with Elton John for a one off performance isn't nearly the same as touring together.  I'd be just as much agasint an Elton John/GnR tour.    It just wouldn't make sense.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 12:11:41 AM by Jim Bob » Logged
Bono
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2006, 12:12:35 AM »

ugh i hope to god GNR never tours with a shitty band like U2.? ?They dont fit together at all, not even a little bit.

I Agree that they dont fit. I find it hard to imagine them playng a show together simply becasue of the two hugely different attitudes and vibes the bands give off. As much as I'd love it I just can't see how, even if it were possible, how it would work.

Quote from: Jim Bob
I wouldn't sit thru a U2 concert for anything
What if Axl had an extra ticket for a U2 show for you to go along with him and Robin. You'd do it than hihi. The unfortunate part for you would be that you'd have to stop all the "U2 is shitty" remarks afterwards. Once you see U2 live your whole perspective of the band and their music would change. I'd also be willing to bet if you saw them live you'd have no choice but to admit it was one of the greatest shows if not the greatest show you've ever seen. Unfortunately though you've passed judgement on somthing I don't believe you know a whole lot about.

Sorry guys. I'll pull back on the U2 talk here. beer
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2006, 12:15:44 AM »

They wouldnt be an opening act. They would have equal billing with GNR.

Yeah, and GNR and Metallica were "Co-Headliners" in 92, yet the band that goes on last is always interpretted as the headliner, regardless of how you bill it. You going to tell me GNR wasn't really the headlining act of that tour? I doubt it. Just slapping Co-headliner on the newspaper add does nothing to affect people's perception. And the band going on first is always thought of as an opener, regardless of stature.
Bono
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2006, 12:20:06 AM »

if i dont like a band, in my mind they are a shitty band.? i think their music is shitty.? ?thats just me.? i realize theres people that love it, but its not my thing and I would hope Axl would never subject his fans to a show with a band like that.

And yet your're fine with Papa Roach(teen angst MTV dribble) and BFMV?? Dude, Axl has said in the past that he really likes U2 and has much respect for them. He's performed with them on stage. ?I believe if Axl liked a band and wanted them to tour with him he'd do it(if he could) and not think that he's "subjecting" fans to certain torchers. Roll Eyes He had Mix Master Mike open on the 2002 tour probably because he thought ?it would be cool and that people might enjoy it. ?Was he "subjecting" his fasn to that? believe me Jim Bob if Axl had the chance to do a tour with U2 someday he'd likely take it and I think it's safe to say that most Gn'R fans would think it's pretty cool even if U2 wasn't necessarily their cup of tea..Maybe I'm worng who knows.
GeraldFord
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2006, 12:25:44 AM »

GN'R/NIN  ok
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2006, 12:30:18 AM »

if i dont like a band, in my mind they are a shitty band.? i think their music is shitty.? ?thats just me.? i realize theres people that love it, but its not my thing and I would hope Axl would never subject his fans to a show with a band like that.

And yet your're fine with Papa Roach(teen angst MTV dribble) and BFMV?? Dude, Axl has said in the past that he really likes U2 and has much respect for them. He's performed with them on stage. ?I believe if Axl liked a band and wanted them to tour with him he'd do it(if he could) and not think that he's "subjecting" fans to certain torchers. Roll Eyes He had Mix Master Mike open on the 2002 tour probably because he thought ?it would be cool and that people might enjoy it. ?Was he "subjecting" his fasn to that? believe me Jim Bob if Axl had the chance to do a tour with U2 someday he'd likely take it and I think it's safe to say that most Gn'R fans would think it's pretty cool even if U2 wasn't necessarily their cup of tea..Maybe I'm worng who knows.

I'm not fine with Papa Roach, I will be down the street in the bar drinking my face off and waiting for GNR rather than subject myself to that. ?I thankfully missed BFMV by showing up late as well.

I saw MixMaster Mike simply because I was early for that show due to the weather and ya know when it comes down to it, he wasn't THAT bad. ?I would rather be subjected to that than the MTV crap there is out there now or some annoying EMO band.

Axl has sung and played with some greats: U2, Elton John, Tom Petty, etc.....all extremely talented musicians...

It would be a great privledge to see him with any of these guys. ?I think that with the last minute announcement of the tour that is was probably hard for them to score a decent opener as most probably had previous commitments...hopefully next year they can hook up with someone better-
Bono
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2006, 12:31:19 AM »

GN'R/NIN? ok

O.k. now that would be really fucking cool and I could see that one working. Wow! headbanger this actually makes some sense. Imagine a few years down the road with the new Guns gaining their own identity, ? I honestly could see somthing like this happening as a summer mega tour. Do Trent and Axl get along?
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2006, 12:37:03 AM »

I suppose you're right. U2's set is long enough that the lay over time between bands could be minimal. But then with U2 opening you're in a  situation where the opening band would be putting on a  better show Wink.  As far as the stage set up goes Axl would have to be barred from using the U2 catwalk. There's no way we need a 40+ year old Axl running around that thing while trying to sing. Grin Hnetsly though stage setup in an arena would eb a problem. u2's last two tours ahve been open stage setup. 360 around  with fans sitting behind the stage with an unobstructed view. it'd be hard to amek that work with Gn'R's setup. Undecided

By the time I see Gn'R in December I will have a few unbiased opinions to share with you guys. Two friends of mine who hated U2 but I convinced them to come see them with me. After the show they both told me nothing even comes close to them live. They was literally blown away. they're both coming with me in December to see Guns N' Roses. One loves the old band and Axl  and the other simply likes Gn'R  better than U2 so it'll be interesting(at least for me) to see how they compare the two shows.

I've got a band that blows them away live. You're biased as hell towards U2, but I personally think Pink Floyd's performance at Live 8 blows away pretty much every live performance I've ever seen. And I only saw that one on DVD. I can't imagine how awesome it would have been to have seen it live. U2, meanwhile, didn't impress me much at Live 8 to be honest. They were really good, no doubt, but Pink Floyd fuckin' blew them straight out of the water (and that was with a band that hadn't played together in 20 frickin' years!!!!). Pink Floyd owns all when it comes to live shows. Led Zeppelin is the only thing that even comes close. U2 is probably the best of all the bands out there right now, but Pink Floyd in just 4 songs blew away anything live I've ever heard/seen. David Gilmour's guitar-playing and vocals were simply OFF THE HOOK (sounded just as good, if not BETTER than the freakin' recordings from 30 years ago). Absolutely an incredible performance.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 12:41:55 AM by GNRfan2008 » Logged
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2006, 12:43:15 AM »

but I personally think Pink Floyd's performance at Live 8 blows away pretty much every live performance I've ever seen. And I only saw that one on DVD. I can't imagine how awesome it would have been to have seen it live.

I am with you 600% on that. I was never a Pink Floyd fan really before that, but wanted to watch it that day because it was one of those things you knew was historical. Just watching it live on TV you could feel the energy there, even if it was only 4 songs. To a man most Pink Floyd fans would tell you that seeing Roger on the stage with them again surpassed the excitement and energy of anything else the guys had done for the previous 25 years since they had broken up. I only hope after they get their solo stuff out of their system this year that maybe they take up one of those promoters on the 200 million dollar offer to do a tour.
Bono
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2006, 12:46:31 AM »

I've got a band that blows them away live. You're biased as hell towards U2, but I personally think Pink Floyd's performance at Live 8 blows away pretty much every live performance I've ever seen. And I only saw that one on DVD. I can't imagine how awesome it would have been to have seen it live. U2, meanwhile, didn't impress me much at Live 8 to be honest. They were really good, no doubt, but Pink Floyd fuckin' blew them straight out of the water (and that was with a band that hadn't played together in 20 frickin' years!!!!). Pink Floyd owns all when it comes to live shows. Led Zeppelin is the only thing that even comes close. U2 is probably the best of all the bands out there right now, but Pink Floyd in just 4 songs blew away anything live I've ever heard/seen.

Fair enough. I agree with you on the Live 8 thing. But keep in mind U2 Opened the show in broad daylight where as Pink Floyd played at night with full lights and everything. ?Also U2 played the hit singleat the time(vertigo) One and Beautiful day. It was all very moment appropriate, nt so much ment to blow everyone away. You telling me the Pink Floyd performance wasn't ment to blow people away? Tell me this, had Pink Floyd played in U2's spot and vice versa what would you be saying? Probably not much Smiley You put U2 in the same time slot as pink Floy at Live 8 and have them crank out Where the Streets have no name with full light sow and you might change your mind. Maybe not though. U2 in concert on their own is an entirely different thing. I'm not taking anything away from Pink Floyd. It was amazing but ?there was also the hype surrounding their performance and the fact that it was at night that no doubt adds to the appeal. I think you could make an arguement for Pink Floyd over U2 as far as live shows go though. they are legendary when it comes to that, but they aren't around now so it's irrelevant at this point. Zeppelin though? I don't think so.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 12:48:38 AM by Bono » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: