Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 06:21:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228135 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  So, Anyone else Puzzled By Some of These Venues and Dates GNR are Playing At?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, Anyone else Puzzled By Some of These Venues and Dates GNR are Playing At?  (Read 17240 times)
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2006, 01:03:37 AM »

fact is though that major venue is a subjective thing

let us take worcester for example

when VH did their biref-reuinion tour in 2004, they did Worcester over the Garden, even though they probably could have sold it out...it probably comes down to what the promoter feels is most cost-effective and what fits in with the tour schedule. if they can get a better deal out of playing the DCU and the DCU is more flexible with booking, since it doesnt have major sports teams, then thats where you go. i imagine this applies other places too.

The reason gnr are playing worcester and not boston is bc either the celtics or bruins have the fleet center tied from from the 8th (when gnr are playing) to the 11th, so there was no chance to play the fleet at all.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2006, 02:16:32 AM »

Maybe thats why Minneapolis may get skipped this time around.? There really isnt any midsized venue that I am aware of.? Its either two larger arenas or smaller type theatres, nothing really that would be in the 6000-10,000 range.

Roy Wilkins Auditorium in St Paul would be perfect for this band, holds just under 6,000. Northrup Auditorium on the U of M campus also holds just under 5000 but its seated.

Exactly, top end those venues are too small, and Target Center and Xcel are too big. In 02 they got 7 thousand plus at the target center. Hence why they may skip Minneapolis. I hope not.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2006, 02:18:42 AM »

ultimatly I believe this is more a grass roots aproach and by no means is this the only part of touring we will see, in fact, I have a feeling that whole touring till the record runs it course, and new album drop thearoy and tour more is more like whats gonna happen.

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2006, 02:19:14 AM »

Maybe thats why Minneapolis may get skipped this time around. ?There really isnt any midsized venue that I am aware of. ?Its either two larger arenas or smaller type theatres, nothing really that would be in the 6000-10,000 range.

True, but they could easily do a half house setup at the Target Center.....Thats what they did at the Fargodome in 2002

That's what VR did...half house. ?They should do half house shows.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2006, 02:20:10 AM »

They have their own arena, called marriucci...fits 7-8 thousand I believe. ?However the arena is an inground bowl type setup, and may not be all that condusive for concerts. ?The floor would be as big as a hockey rink, and the seats around it are permanent, so you couldnt fit a decent stage on it. ?Plus I don't think anyone has ever played at that arena for concerts.

What do you mean by "inground bowl" the odl montreal forum was made specifically for hockeya dn the seats aroudn the ice surface were not removeable. They had concerts all the time. As long as the ice surface is wide enough they coudl put a stage in it. The floor being as big as a hockey rink woudl be no big dal becasu that's how big the floor is gonna be in alot of these arenas right Wink? Too bad they don't do concerts there casue it sounds big enough.? Undecided Acoustics are probably shit though.

Tough to explain in words. Lets just say the arena is not for concerts.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2006, 02:36:15 AM »

I suppose I understand the venue choices. But, why the hell at least aren't they then on a Saturday night? I know in a lot of the cases they are but in a place like L.A. where they are playing on a Sunday and Tuesday well, there is something wrong with that. Fine, they cant fill a Staples Center (hey this would be the place to see them...like THE PLACE in LA) without an album, but they cant get Saturday night either? No way. Its just odd.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2006, 02:40:57 AM »

AS to add a bit more, in my expierinece goin to concerts, since 85, 90% of shows I have gone to beit big acts or smaller ones were always usually on a weeknight, and most of th 17 GNR shows I have been to were always a week nihgt save for maybe most recent , the hammerstein shows that had a fri and sunday, but almost all the other ones were on a tues, weds, thurs, sundat night, in fact I dont think here in NY they did may shows on a weekend. even limelight, and ritz werent weekend nights, nor felt forum, I remeber how fuckng wacked I was in school the next day, back them after that one.lol

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
Mattattack
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2006, 02:44:30 AM »

I'm surprised they're not playing smaller venues. Chinese Democracy pretty much has to come out within the next 2 months or this tour is going tits up.
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2006, 04:33:20 AM »

cause seeing a show at universal is 100 times better than staples

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2006, 10:14:21 AM »

cause seeing a show at universal is 100 times better than staples

Universal is a great place for concerts but, it is a strange choice for GNR. Under the circumstances I understand. Its just the day of the week that gets me.

alternativemonkey
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2006, 10:30:07 AM »

This is something I meant to ask earlier. Guns N' Roses playing in a place like Bakersfield is ridiculous. Guns N Roses playing in a 6,000 seat venue and on a Sunday and Tuesday night is fucking crazy. What is the reasoning? Since when does a big band play in one of the key markets on a Sunday and Tuesday instead of a Friday/Saturday night? Im going (of Course), but it seems wrong in a way. Guns N Roses should be at a place like Staples Center on a Saturday night. Not some 6,000 seat venue on a Tuesday. Its cool getting to see them in a small place but well... doesn't it seem a little odd to anyone else? They couldnt get a 6,000 seat venue on a Saturday? Couldn't GNR play at one of the big boys on a Saturday? I know things aren't the magnitude they once were but still.

Listen I am a happy motherfucker they are even out there and kicking ass and can't wait to see them again. I just find this odd.

I think playing smaller venues is a great strategy. We are talking about a long-term re-branding of the GNR name. It is much better to play small venues upfront (hopefully at sell-out or near sell-out) - better buzz. If CD takes off, they can come around again and play the biggest venues. Until then, start small and grow.
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2006, 01:03:45 PM »

I'm surprised they're not playing smaller venues. Chinese Democracy pretty much has to come out within the next 2 months or this tour is going tits up.

Is tits up a bad thing? I want to see tits up!
guns97
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2006, 02:21:28 PM »

Its not 1992 anymore.....fact is axl cant sell out stadiums by himself headlining..if he regrouped with the original lineup than he can but as far as america is concerned its the axl rose solo project....he has to prove himself all over again...

Very well said...nearly everyone who posts here is die hard so they'll defend him to the death but the fact is he's a 40 something aging rocker who had bad plastic surgery and is now trying a comeback...it will take time - if it even happens.? Believe me, if I could have 91-93 all over again I would, because I believe those 3 years were the most explosive in rock history and will never be topped...the UYI tours were the absolute best, and sadly I'm afraid all I'll ever have of that group will be memories (and bootleg CD's!).

I hope Chinese Democracy comes out, Axl and Slash realize what they had and could have again, mark this 10 year period as a hiatus/exploratory time period and get back on the road as Guns were meant to be.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2006, 02:32:01 PM »

Its not 1992 anymore.....fact is axl cant sell out stadiums by himself headlining..if he regrouped with the original lineup than he can but as far as america is concerned its the axl rose solo project....he has to prove himself all over again...

Very well said...nearly everyone who posts here is die hard so they'll defend him to the death but the fact is he's a 40 something aging rocker who had bad plastic surgery and is now trying a comeback...it will take time - if it even happens.? Believe me, if I could have 91-93 all over again I would, because I believe those 3 years were the most explosive in rock history and will never be topped...the UYI tours were the absolute best, and sadly I'm afraid all I'll ever have of that group will be memories (and bootleg CD's!).

I hope Chinese Democracy comes out, Axl and Slash realize what they had and could have again, mark this 10 year period as a hiatus/exploratory time period and get back on the road as Guns were meant to be.

Dude, see...shit right here, this attitude of yours. Its a buzzkill. Only negative nancies have this attitude of yours. What do you know about what Axl did or didnt do? But you want to come to a GNR board and talk shit about things you don't know a thing about. Plastic surgery jesus....STFU. And dude what they had was just that. Had. This is a new time. They didnt see eye to eye on things. But the songs we have heard prove that Axl was right. You don't agree? This is how GNR are meant to be today. Either you get on this train or you get the fuck off. But dont take the ride and bum people out because you you struggle badly with change. The music is awesome. The old GNR didnt make this beautiful music we are hearing from the new GNR. Axl is awesome today. Look no further then Inland video and compare them. They don't look old to me. Man why are you here anyway.

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2006, 02:38:30 PM »

I think we'll get a stadium tour on the second leg. 
holtzmn73
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2006, 02:47:27 PM »

Roy Wilkins Auditorium in St Paul would be perfect for this band, holds just under 6,000. Northrup Auditorium on the U of M campus also holds just under 5000 but its seated.

Exactly, top end those venues are too small, and Target Center and Xcel are too big. In 02 they got 7 thousand plus at the target center. Hence why they may skip Minneapolis. I hope not.

Roy Wilkins is not too small for this band, with no album its the perfect size, they'll sell it out and can play Target or Xcel next year when they come back after the album has been released. Also they did not get over 7,000 at the Target Center in '02, its better for them to play smaller places and sell them out and wow the crowd than to play less than 50% full arenas. 
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2006, 02:47:55 PM »

Man, and I thought being able to fill arenas by the second leg of a tour is an optomistic goal. Stadiums is an absolute pipe dream.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2006, 02:48:56 PM »

Axl could sell out stadiums again, if he would release the album and promote the tour

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
holtzmn73
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2006, 02:50:04 PM »

Stadium shows suck, horrible sound and you are a mile away from the band. GNR will not be playing stadiums anytime soon and hopefully never again. An outdoor amphitheater tour would be awesome for next summer, I'd love to see them at Alpine Valley.
holtzmn73
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2006, 02:50:50 PM »

Axl could sell out stadiums again, if he would release the album and promote the tour

No he couldn't. GNR at their biggest needed Metallica to do stadiums in the US and they weren't all full.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: