Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 04:25:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Catcher In the Rye NOT being played live?!?!
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Catcher In the Rye NOT being played live?!?!  (Read 3781 times)
LordRazZ
VIP

I haven't updated this section in years. Tada.

« on: September 23, 2006, 07:51:46 AM »

As far as I've heard, either C.I.T.R. has only been played live once or twice, or not at all. I'm so puzzled about this, I even emailed Merck about it.

Here's my question. It hasn't been in the rotation for live shows so far. Do you guys think this is a good idea, or bad idea? I mean, personally, I think it's one of the best pieces of work Axl has ever done. A song written about Lennon's murder, from M.D. Chapman's point of view? Not only is it ballsy, it's tough to do, and he did it like the genius he is.

Who else thinks this song should be done live regularily, simply for the fact it's bound for greatness?

The last time I edited my signature, I still had ICQ.  That's crazy.
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 07:55:03 AM »

Well it hasn't been played at all. It could've been played at Hammersmith as Brian May was meant to play with them but he was late and missed the soundcheck.

I think they should only play this song with Brian May as he all of his guitar parts and no disrespect to Robin, but I doubt he could play them at the quality we would expect from Brian may
Origen
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 08:00:34 AM »

That was never intended to leak so it was never intended to be played live unlike the others, that's my opinion.
LordRazZ
VIP

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 08:03:40 AM »

Well since it was released at the same time as the original leaks, whether intended or not, it fell into the same boat.

And as far as Robin goes, being someone who's seen the new band live in '02, I think he's more than capable of playing different styles, including the ballad/November Rain-esque C.I.T.R.

Personally, I think Axl just didn't hear enough positive feedback about the song, otherwise, it would be in the setlist as a mainstay.

It's sad, too, because it's such an incredible song.

Janabis
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 08:07:00 AM »

In 2002, before anyone had heard the song, it was rumoured to be the first single, but when a fan asked Axl about it backstage after MSG he told her that it wasn't even planned for Chinese Democracy. I don't think we'll hear any more of Catcher for quite some time. I agree though, fantastic song.
LordRazZ
VIP

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 08:11:13 AM »

Well, like I said, I emailed Merck earlier on, and made a mention about it. Hopefully, my begging and pleading for the band to play the song, with others praising it, will sway it towards being on the album coming out this year.

Hell, I'd be willing to wait another 6 months for the album, if it meant C.I.T.R. would be included. Most people can't even fathom how brilliant that song really is.

Agno
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 08:26:59 AM »

Amazing song! When I first heard the leaks I thought that was the best song.
LordRazZ
VIP

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 08:31:30 AM »

If I've got to, I'll email the entire friggin' band to get an answer...lol

In fact, that sounds like a pretty darn good idea...let's see what I can surface...I'll report back later tonight with anything I get

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 08:35:18 AM »

If I've got to, I'll email the entire friggin' band to get an answer...lol

In fact, that sounds like a pretty darn good idea...let's see what I can surface...I'll report back later tonight with anything I get

ask BBf if he had heard CITR and if he can play it and stuff like that and if he have learnt more songs now with the NA tour is coming....

if you get what i mean
LordRazZ
VIP

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 08:43:34 AM »

gotcha....got his email addy? lol

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 08:52:12 AM »

gotcha....got his email addy? lol

think you can find it on his web site or his myspcae maybe, google for the website  ok
TheRealThing
Opening Act

Round Two!!

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 09:00:27 AM »

IMHO there's no point to play it live without Brian May. It has his signature sound all over it. A great track to the album anyway. yes
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 09:03:42 AM »

I don't think badgering band members is really the done thing.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 03:05:37 PM »

My wife, who's not a big music fan, liked CITR alot right from the first listen. 
I don't think badgering will get us anywhere.  If we've already heard half of the songs on CD live, do we need more?  We are a few months away from what we've all been waiting for.  My wife will be taking my picture at the record store that day!   Cheesy  Cheesy?  I don't care!!!

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
HamsterDemocracy
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 03:07:56 PM »

My favorite part is when you said you even emailed Merck about it.  rofl

The reason it's not being played is because it wasn't intended to leak like the other three. At least, that's what I think. I think IRS, TWAT and Better were very deliberate - to help regain attention for the band right before the tour, to prove Axl had new material, etc. I find it really, really coincidental that he just so happened to mention TWAT and Better as two of his favorite songs from the album in the RS interview and then - whoops! There they are on the Internet! Whaddaya know?!

IRS was a throwaway because Piazza had already leaked it before and people had heard it.

When those leaked someone with another CD of demos decided it would be a good time to post his, too - he let CITR go and then management hounded him. It's funny because management didn't become active on the forums until CITR leaked which I thought was strange. CITR is also lower quality than the other leaks and sounds like it was recorded through some type of analog device.

Just IMO.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2006, 04:01:45 PM »

In 2002, before anyone had heard the song, it was rumoured to be the first single, but when a fan asked Axl about it backstage after MSG he told her that it wasn't even planned for Chinese Democracy. I don't think we'll hear any more of Catcher for quite some time. I agree though, fantastic song.

Again that is wrong. Axl told the fan that it was going to be the 3rd single, not on the 3rd album.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2006, 04:32:05 PM »

Wisht they would play this song I think it is the best of all the leaks.
EccoTides
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2006, 04:42:04 PM »

My favorite part is when you said you even emailed Merck about it.  rofl

The reason it's not being played is because it wasn't intended to leak like the other three. At least, that's what I think. I think IRS, TWAT and Better were very deliberate - to help regain attention for the band right before the tour, to prove Axl had new material, etc. I find it really, really coincidental that he just so happened to mention TWAT and Better as two of his favorite songs from the album in the RS interview and then - whoops! There they are on the Internet! Whaddaya know?!

IRS was a throwaway because Piazza had already leaked it before and people had heard it.

When those leaked someone with another CD of demos decided it would be a good time to post his, too - he let CITR go and then management hounded him. It's funny because management didn't become active on the forums until CITR leaked which I thought was strange. CITR is also lower quality than the other leaks and sounds like it was recorded through some type of analog device.

Just IMO.

Great post. I also noticed how everything the things were running pretty much unchecked with the first few leaks, but then management pounced when CITR magically showed up.

Anyway, terrific song - I hope it shows up live eventually.
robinfinckfan
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2006, 04:49:49 PM »

Does everybody elses version kinda cut out for a sec towards the end?

The intros to the new tracks are kinda " iffy" for me but CITR is turning into one of my favorites, I really dig all 4 tracks respectively but the one track with the most substance for me is CITR .  GnR and Brian May doing that live this fall would be so fuckin awesome.   yes
agropolus
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2006, 04:59:19 PM »

The demo which was leaked seems to be quite old. Since Brian May is on it, it's probably from 2000 because that's when he said he had been in the studio with Axl (if i'm not mistaken).

It's a great song, but I don't see any problem with them playing it without Brian May. Didn't Dave Navarro play on Oh My God? That didn't stop them from playing it live without him.

And didn't Buckethead write the final solo on TWAT?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: