Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 10:20:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228522 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  How long will VR last?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: How long will VR last?  (Read 16987 times)
codenameninja
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2006, 05:52:41 AM »

VR will last until Duff tells Slash the drugs have got to stop

Slash doesn't do drugs anymore.

i bet he does  hihi
AtariLegend
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2006, 05:57:53 AM »

VR will last until Duff tells Slash the drugs have got to stop

Slash doesn't do drugs anymore.

i bet he does hihi

If he doesn't, they should stop now does the world really need a clean and healthy Slash?
J.J. Cook
Headliner

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2006, 05:10:20 PM »

I don't think this album will do that great. After all it's taken them this long because Rick Rubin didn't think the material they had was good enough so he told them to go back and work on it! Plus their album sold a lot on hype and publicity. I don't hear much aobut them now. Fall To Peices and Slither did pretty well on the charts but after the hype was over "Dirty Little Thing" and "Come On, Come In" didn't do so well. Here's the single positons:

Year Title Chart positions Album
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?U.S. Hot 100 U.S. Modern Rock U.S. Mainstream Rock UK Singles Chart

"Slither"? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 56? ? ? ? ? ? ? 1? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?1? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?35 Contraband
 "Fall to Pieces"? ? ?67? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?2? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?1? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?32 Contraband
 "Dirty Little Thing" -? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 18? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 8? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? -? ?Contraband
"Come On, Come In" -? ? ? ? ? ? ? -? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?14? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?- Fantastic Four

Notice how the singles chart lower and lower since Slither?

Yeah, that never ever happens with other records. And indeed, the more logical explanation could never be that further along the line more people bought the actual record and felt no need to buy the singles anymore.... nah, that would just be a stupid conclusion, I think I'll just go with yours...

Yeah the album's what double platinum? Out of how many people? I'm pretty sure the entire population doesn't have Contraband. Plus Come On, Come In wasn't off of Contraband. For the guy that asked I got the Rick Rubin thing off Wikipedia. No he didn't say the material sucked he said he didn't feel it was strong enough beyond 3-4 select songs. Same thing basically.

I hate fanboys.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2006, 10:18:26 PM »

For the guy that asked I got the Rick Rubin thing off Wikipedia.

Wikipedia, huh?   rofl

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2006, 02:43:37 AM »

Yeah the album's what double platinum? Out of how many people?

confused

When youre discussing record sales in terms of an entire countrys population, youve lost the argument. 
J.J. Cook
Headliner

« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2006, 01:06:17 PM »

THey're are plenty of rock albums that sell more than double platinum so the fanbase is there. The hype was there. When someone says that everyone owns the album and that's the reason the singles aren't doing well then he's lost the argument because that's stupid. As for the guy laughing at Wikipedia it's a good source of information plus there are citations and someone else said it was in Matt's own journal which means I was right and that people need to stop thinking of whatever they can to protect their favorite bands.

I hate fanboys.
AtariLegend
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2006, 01:11:37 PM »

Albums can also go Diamond (Sell 10million copies in the US) but no one ever talks about that since there nothing that good around in these dark times good enough to sell that much. If VR sells that much they will last.

If Axl doesn't do that well he will feel he's waisted the last 12 years of his life.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2006, 01:49:34 PM »

THey're are plenty of rock albums that sell more than double platinum so the fanbase is there. The hype was there. When someone says that everyone owns the album and that's the reason the singles aren't doing well then he's lost the argument because that's stupid.

As stupid as taking something so obviously hyperbolic literally? 

No.

The Spaghetti Incident? only went platinum...But out of curiosity, list the plenty of rock albums to go triple-platinum and higher in the last 3 or so years.

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2006, 02:33:31 PM »

THey're are plenty of rock albums that sell more than double platinum so the fanbase is there. The hype was there. When someone says that everyone owns the album and that's the reason the singles aren't doing well then he's lost the argument because that's stupid.

No.

The Spaghetti Incident? only went platinum...But out of curiosity, list the plenty of rock albums to go triple-platinum and higher in the last 3 or so years.

I think Coldplay, U2, Nickelback & Green Day might be the only ones... all bands which have had staying power and remained popular.
AtariLegend
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2006, 02:36:02 PM »

No.

I think Coldplay, U2, Nickelback & Green Day might be the only ones... all bands which have had staying power and remained popular.

Nickelback popular?

You need to post before you take the drugs?
J.J. Cook
Headliner

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2006, 03:45:48 PM »

What a stupid argument the spaghetti Incident is an album of covers. It didn't have massive promotion either because like I just said it was all covers. Cover albums usually aren't mega-popular. In fact it sold 1000 000. Contraband only sold 2 000 000. Contraband was the debut album so it would get a lot of people checking it out from curiousity unlike the spaghetti incident. It was all new material unlike the spaghetti incident. It was by a supergroup made of two massively popular bands and had so much hype it was unbelieveable and was heavily pushed on radio. Comparing Contraband to the Spaghetti Incident is retarded. Plus factoring in the spaghetti incident was released when rock wasn't popular meanwhile  when contraband was released old guns n' roses songs, ramones songs, rolling stones songs and songs by any old band was now being raped in merchandising of t-shirts and on games like Grand Theft Auto and commercials. Slash even appeared on a commercial for visa mastercard in 2001 I believe.

I hate fanboys.
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2006, 03:49:18 PM »

Any more news on Libertad?
Origen
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2006, 04:30:15 PM »

Here is a photo from earlier this week after performing together.

There is nothing to worry about with VR, they are taken there time making the album that's all. And probably within the next few months we will be hearing alot more about Libertad.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2006, 03:11:33 AM »

Nickelback popular?

You need to post before you take the drugs?

I didn't say anything about liking them, but how could you even argue that they are not popular?  A quick glance on wikipedia shows that they had a #1 song on the Mainstream rock charts for a total of 13 weeks in the past year and their CD went quadruple platinum.

As for the drugs comment... I don't even think what you wrote made sense, but nice try.
TheMole
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2006, 05:35:32 AM »

Shit man, talk about missing the point.

I'll try and explain more carefully what I was saying:
Suppose 100 people are interested in a band and that band brings out an album. Let's say 40 of these 100 buy the album when it comes out. That leaves 60 people who would possible buy the first single. The first single drops, 20 people buy it and 20 other people decide they like the single, so they'll buy the album. For the next single (the second), there are now 30 possible buyers. Say 10 of these buy the single and 10 decide "well, that's the second single I like, I might as well buy the album instead". For the third single, there's an audience of 20 people left.

See where I'm getting at? I know it's a simplification, I know I'm not taking some factors into account, but you can't just go around showing declining single sales and use that the show a decline in interest in the album. The first single always sells best for an established band (or a band with well known members).

As for Come On, Come In not being on Contraband, granted. But that was a soundtrack on a less than succesfull movie that was never pushed by Vr whatsoever. Trust me, when Libertad comes around, they'll start the promotion machine again.
J.J. Cook
Headliner

« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2006, 04:19:11 PM »

Maybe so but the first single's not always the hit. A lot of times the first single could bomb but the next single will be huge. There's plenty of examples but the only one I know without thinking hard about it that everyone would know is KISS releasing their Destroyer album and first single "Detroit Rock City" but it didn't do that well. People started playing "Beth" and it became a hit.

I hate fanboys.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2006, 07:48:04 PM »

Maybe so but the first single's not always the hit. A lot of times the first single could bomb but the next single will be huge. There's plenty of examples but the only one I know without thinking hard about it that everyone would know is KISS releasing their Destroyer album and first single "Detroit Rock City" but it didn't do that well. People started playing "Beth" and it became a hit.

I love Detroit Rock City...
J.J. Cook
Headliner

« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2006, 08:15:51 PM »

As do I. I don't like "Beth" much though. But Detroit Rock City never actually charted.

I hate fanboys.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2006, 08:34:02 PM »

Reel it back in kids, Kiss can be discussed in The Jungle.

Thanks.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
robert32
Headliner

Don't let 'em get ta you

« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2006, 01:49:13 PM »

Hopefully the next VR record will be good - but will only do OK - same with the next GN'R record.  At the end of the day both bands are lacking the key ingredient in Mr Stradlin'.  Both are lacking his songwriting prowess.  He's the only guy who's still friends and in touch with all the original band, so hopefully... a couple of years time and the UYI line-up will be back.  We need Dizzy's keys... and Steven won't be able to handle the UYI material.  He'd do well to handle the AFD material, given the state he's in.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: