Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 06:55:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  When axl threatened to leave if the name wasn't signed to him
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: When axl threatened to leave if the name wasn't signed to him  (Read 5622 times)
Neemo
Legend

« on: September 14, 2006, 03:43:20 PM »

when did that incident happen? can anybody post an article about htat incident?

thank you beer

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 03:52:58 PM »

found the incident any other articles would be appreciated peace

October 18th, 1989 - GN'R open for the Rolling Stones at the LA Coliseum. Axl threatened to quit if certain members of the band didn't stop "dancing with Mr. Brownstone". Here's what he said:
"I hate to do this on stage. But I tried every other fucking way. And unless certain people in this band get their shit together, these will be the last Guns N' Roses shows you'll fucking ever see. Cause I'm tired of too many people in this organization dancing with Mr. Goddamn Brownstone."

Slash, Izzy and Steven promised to clean up.

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 03:57:23 PM »

found the incident any other articles would be appreciated peace

October 18th, 1989 - GN'R open for the Rolling Stones at the LA Coliseum. Axl threatened to quit if certain members of the band didn't stop "dancing with Mr. Brownstone". Here's what he said:
"I hate to do this on stage. But I tried every other fucking way. And unless certain people in this band get their shit together, these will be the last Guns N' Roses shows you'll fucking ever see. Cause I'm tired of too many people in this organization dancing with Mr. Goddamn Brownstone."

Slash, Izzy and Steven promised to clean up.

I think that was a little different.   Supposedly early on in the Illusions tour was when he secured his rights to the GNR name.   Look for Slash and Duff interviews from their post GNR days.  Axl has never said anything about it, so we have only one side of the story, and it seems to change often.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 03:58:36 PM »

^^ Yeah, the article u've mentioned is about Slash and the rest cleanin up, not abt the rights to the Guns name.

Fuck 'Em All.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 04:09:53 PM »

^^ Yeah, the article u've mentioned is about Slash and the rest cleanin up, not abt the rights to the Guns name.

do you know if axl ever threatened about the band name?

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 04:27:11 PM »

ok it was may 1991 before the get in the ring tour

TOM ZUTAUT: On the eve of the tour, Axl told the rest of the band that the only way he would play was if they'd give ownership of the name to him. They were looking at canceling the tour and losing millions and millions of dollars, [so] they capitulated.

slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 04:33:30 PM »

yeah a satement or soe3mthing would be cool, i just dont see how axl could have said that to the guys who also created the band, but at the same time, it was just axl and izzy original, til lthe other guys left and slash and co came in

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 04:39:04 PM »

i dunno now i found this, q magazine in 2003

Worse was still to come. A year on Axl Rose would threaten to quit in protest over the heroin use. Whatever his motives, he was taking control of the band (he had legally bought the rights to the Guns N? Roses name back in January 1988). Rose was also readying his band?s grand statement: Use Your Illusion I and II, overblown twin releases that emerged simultaneously, the week before Nirvana?s Nevermind.

wtf is that about?

supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 01:57:29 AM »

i remember slash saying in an interview that axl was being late for every show during the illusions tour and one day before a show he came late as usual and told them that if they don't sign the rights over to him he won't go on stage and it's over. and slash said they signed because at that time they didn't care. this happened somewhere around the start of the tour.

if someone can find the exact interview, cheers, i can't remember now beer

themovieaddict.com
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 02:35:43 AM »

It was during the Illusion tour. Axl told Slash and Duff that they had to sign over their rights to the GN'R name. He then said he would quit if they did not do so.
crash_diet
Rocker

"...too stupid to leave with nothing to loose..."

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 05:55:06 AM »

noone, and i mean NOONE, exept Axl and the rest of the band, really knows what happened then about this matter... we ve heard the story by the old members, by the press, by "everyone who think they know everyhting about  the band, but they dont know shit" etc etc..

only Axl has never said anything about it....

so as far as i m concerned, none of this is true - and i believe we ll never know exactly what happened back then.....

so dont try to explain to other people what was going on then cause it s all speculations....  ok

This i love -------> Prostitute
...a shot of vitamin C and a bottle of booze...
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 07:16:57 AM »

noone, and i mean NOONE, exept Axl and the rest of the band, really knows what happened then about this matter... we ve heard the story by the old members, by the press, by "everyone who think they know everyhting about? the band, but they dont know shit" etc etc..

only Axl has never said anything about it....

so as far as i m concerned, none of this is true - and i believe we ll never know exactly what happened back then.....

so dont try to explain to other people what was going on then cause it s all speculations....? ok

as long as axl doesnt say anything, then just go with him, you know dont beleive slash or duff, just beleive the renowned liar. ok

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 08:58:11 AM »

well the only thing i could find on the subject was the TOM ZUTAUT quote...and didn't axl fuck him over? coulda been trying to make him look bad...any article is what i'm looking for, i know what the rumor is peace

but I'm with crash_diet....i think this is a fabrication .... cuz i haven't even found a quote from slash or duff on the matter...and I've looked

Quote from: Slash on leaving GnR
How do you feel about Axl continuing to tour as Guns N' Roses?

Axl is making the call for whatever his 3 percent of the band is worth. He's making the call these days. My life was just miserable then. I couldn't deal with it. So I just left. So when he wanted to use the name Guns N' Roses I said sure, I didn't want anything to do with it.

Quote from: Duff on leaving GnR
"Then I went back to dealing with Axl, and I realized I just didn't need it anymore. It was just me and him. Slash had left, Izzy had left. It wasn't the same band, and I just thought: 'What's the point?"

both those quotes don't seem to me like they were employees of axl...but partners and they relinquished their rights to him when they quit. I'm not pro-Axl or pro-Slash, I don't favor one over the other, they both are great, just interested in this story so i can make my own mind up what i think happened.  peace right now it looks like it's bullshit.

slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 09:13:49 AM »

i rember slash talkin about it once he said if he had a load of heroin he would have used it all or if he had a gun he would have shot himself at the time, because ihe was so upset oir sngry about it

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2006, 09:16:13 AM »

i rember slash talkin about it once he said if he had a load of heroin he would have used it all or if he had a gun he would have shot himself at the time, because he was so upset or angry about it

that was the 1989 incident unless I'm mistaken peace and it was from the behind the music show and he said....

"I know it was directed at me because i was pretty strung out at the time. and that was prolly one of the things that made me hate Axl more than anything. I probably never ever forgave him for it, without even thinking about it"

wells
VIP

!!

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2006, 09:27:32 AM »

That was one of a best moves Axl ever made ok ...
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2006, 09:31:45 AM »

i rember slash talkin about it once he said if he had a load of heroin he would have used it all or if he had a gun he would have shot himself at the time, because he was so upset or angry about it

that was the 1989 incident unless I'm mistaken peace and it was from the behind the music show and he said....

"I know it was directed at me because i was pretty strung out at the time. and that was prolly one of the things that made me hate Axl more than anything. I probably never ever forgave him for it, without even thinking about it"

i think it was a sperate thing, im sure i read it in a guitar mag in 1996 after he lefdt i think whne they had a slash interview and rumoured that zakk wyld would replace him

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2006, 09:34:02 AM »

i think it was a sperate thing, im sure i read it in a guitar mag in 1996 after he lefdt i think whne they had a slash interview and rumoured that zakk wyld would replace him

and you don't happen to have it do ya? anyway any insights are cool but nothing beats an actual quote no

slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2006, 09:41:04 AM »

unfortunatly its in the loft with all other GNR memorbillia, it was like a 5page spread of slash and the interview, i could be wrong, but i vaugly rember it being in there.i think it was total guitar slash was on the front of the cover with his red sig les paul.

after all that i could be wrong, you may be right neemo

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2006, 10:05:44 AM »

after all that i could be wrong, you may be right neemo

and you could be right too peace that's why I want to find hard proof, everything else is hearsay hihi but I'm glad that I'm having as hard of time as everyone else...it's not like the media to not jump on the "Axl is the antichrist" bandwagon so if a nazi type move ever happened i expected it to be relatively easy to find an article somewhere about it

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: