Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 02:37:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228119 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy: Anti piracy measures
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy: Anti piracy measures  (Read 6145 times)
DaNutz
Headliner

Seriously fuck off

« on: September 13, 2006, 08:24:27 AM »

I've been hearing too many people comment around the internet, how they dont really care about Chinese Democracy, but they will
probably just download it to see what all the fuss is about..

I dont know about you guys, but this really pisses me off.

The most anticipated album in music history deserves more than some asshole downloading the entire thing, then putting a few songs
they like on their MP3 player  (remember Axl said there will be something on this album for everyone) and never cross their mind to buy
the fucker.

Im not the most technical savy poster here...I do know Ive d/l'ed some songs that have all that NOISE/DISTORTION going on...
Im sure the record label will do something like this, but I say we do it on a much bigger scale thats never been seen before and
that the record label couldnt do without our help.

It's a fact some downloaders will give up after 1 attempt, some after 2, some after 3, etc.. etc....I think we could weed out a big % of this
problem, if we were to put at for example 10-20 fucked up versions of each song out there (different sizes, different descriptions, etc).

Perhaps on the P2P networks and the more popular torrents (I dont even think I know what a torrent is).

Of course we'd have to wait for the tracklisting to come out.

I doubt Merck would care since he only manages, but maybe word could spread and the record label would even give us a 30 sec snippet
of each song (followed by the noise) to help distribute a week or so before its released.

We'd need some server space, some music editors, some knowledgable people, idea people, and just any random joe out there that'd be willing to
SHARE these jacked files with the online community.

What do you guys think?

elmir
VIP

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 08:41:06 AM »

its been discussed before to death, but even in this day and age, people would rather have a cd in their hands....piracy is rife and unstoppable...it can be minimised, but not stopped....but it won't hurt album sales.

as far as pre-release promotion is concerned....i don't think that's the best way...although we did get those leaks earlier in the year...remember?Huh

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
meanmachine73
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 08:43:13 AM »

Very honourable, however totally unrealistic, that is only my opinion of course....

There are P2P networks all over the world. As an example Piracy isnt half the problem in the USA and Western Europe as it is in Eastern Europe(a huge GNR fanbase) Where people earn very little.

I know not at all connected, but as a stat I read last week that CD Purchases in India account for 90% pirated material.

The main problem is that for years and years buyers were ripped off, a CD including all manufacture, booklet, back Inlay, Jewel case and distribution costs less than ?50p/ ?70 cents / $91cents ?I worked in that industry for several years. If they had been sensible in their sales prices, there would be alot less piracy. Burning CD's is now part of modern culture, it simply isnt seen as a criminal offence.

Keep em under your wheels.
liesin
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 08:58:47 AM »

I dig what you are saying DaNutz, however this will be fucking har to pull off. But what the hell I'm at your service if you wanna give it a shot.
supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 09:01:18 AM »

who cares about piracy? every other album released is being pirated and put up on all p2p programs.
don't worry. if the music is good, the people will buy the cd.

it will get multi platinum just out of curiosity of the rock fans in general and gnr old fans

philspectorshotme
Rocker

i wasn't complaining!

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 09:15:40 AM »

if you alienate all the downloaders then you're going to have even less people buying it.

some people will like it, some wont. deal with it.

why do you give a shit about sales figures anyway? if you enjoy it that should be enough.
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 09:22:18 AM »

I'm up for it.
I dont want some fuckers damaging the GNR experience.

I say, lets fake-up every possible file sharing program.

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
Spiochu
Opening Act

...don't you forget to put roses on my grave...

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 09:43:44 AM »

remember the fact that in some countries prices of foreign cds are just too big... not everywhere is so great...
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 09:52:09 AM »

I'll download it first to see if I like it, there's no harm in that  ok
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 09:54:21 AM »

remember the fact that in some countries prices of foreign cds are just too big... not everywhere is so great...

cmon.
cds are all over the world in the range 10-15$
everyone who can afford internet can afford to buy a cd.

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
themovieaddict.com
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 09:55:33 AM »

Yes, the day I open GN'R my first thought will be to rush to my computer, upload a bunch of "jacked" files to a sharing program, and fuck up all those communist BASTARDS who try to download the album! Take that you 15-year-old FASCIST! Hi-yah!

Roll Eyes

Wouldn't it be easier to just listen to the music and let the music producers and Axl decide how to protect the music from being freely distributed? It's going to happen either way. A few die-hard fans sharing fake titles isn't going to change much - there are already thousands of fake files out there floating around on P2P. The people downloading from torrents are going to know what's real and what's not. As soon as a fake torrent is downloaded off sites like TorrentSpy.com it can be reported and people leave comments saying it's fake.

Besides, downloading music for free is wrong but hell, at this point I figure as much exposure as this band can get is great. I mean, if a 14-year-old who would never buy the album is curious about this new album he's hearing about, and he decides to download it, and he falls in love with the music, then becomes a GN'R fan and goes out and gets all their albums, then I figure it was worth it.
themovieaddict.com
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 09:57:11 AM »

cmon.
cds are all over the world in the range 10-15$
everyone who can afford internet can afford to buy a cd.

Actually you're wrong. CDs can be very, very expensive in foreign markets. The equivalent of close to $100 dollars I've read. I was in Poland and they were about $40 - $50. And you'd be surprised how many people really don't have advanced technology in those types of countries.

I know sure as hell that if I bought as many CDs as I'd like I'd be out of money in a few days, and I have very fast speed Internet access.
meanmachine73
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 10:03:28 AM »

We don't want Axl and Guns N' Roses having the same treatment that Lars did for Metallica's court battle with Napstar.

Then again, if any of you visit the Metallica site you can download authorised full concerts including old stuff from the early years. Would be nice if GNR would be so forthcoming.

Keep em under your wheels.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 10:10:17 AM »

Very honourable, however totally unrealistic, that is only my opinion of course....

Agreed, its a nice idea in theory and I'm sure we all want the album to kick ass in terms of sales (moreso in terms of sound but...). 

But you can't stop downloading/piracy - its just a part of the biz now.

If CD lives up to the hype, people will want to own it on their own. 

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
PrettyTiedUp763
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 10:43:57 AM »

Agreed, its a nice idea in theory and I'm sure we all want the album to kick ass in terms of sales (moreso in terms of sound but...).?

If CD lives up to the hype, people will want to own it on their own.?

I agree. Downloading is impossible to stop, but if people like what they hear they will go out and buy it.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006, 11:07:33 AM »

Agreed, its a nice idea in theory and I'm sure we all want the album to kick ass in terms of sales (moreso in terms of sound but...). 

If CD lives up to the hype, people will want to own it on their own. 

I agree. Downloading is impossible to stop, but if people like what they hear they will go out and buy it.

I so agree. I constantly get in huge arguments with people I know in the record industry. Their stance if (ofcourse) that the downloaders "are ruining the music industry".

I take the opposite stance. I feel that ever since the invention of recordable media people have been trading music. Its the quality material that gets purchased. Period.

If the music industry wouldn't constantly put out CRAP product, their record sales would be much higher.

"In the end all that matters is if the finished article moved you or not, there's nothing else that's important"
-Roger Waters

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
joneslloyd
Banned
Rocker

Here Today... er... dead tomorrow...? maybe?..

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006, 11:12:00 AM »

I don't care

If i can get something for nothing, i will
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2006, 11:17:42 AM »

Actually you're wrong. CDs can be very, very expensive in foreign markets. The equivalent of close to $100 dollars I've read. I was in Poland and they were about $40 - $50. And you'd be surprised how many people really don't have advanced technology in those types of countries.

I know sure as hell that if I bought as many CDs as I'd like I'd be out of money in a few days, and I have very fast speed Internet access.

Agree for instance here, even though we have CD's at $10 or $15 they are made in Argentina or Colombia but if you want the original it would cost like $50 or $40 it's nuts though I've buy albums at that cost cause I'm a freak of CD originals

No man can be my equal
deanaxlrose
Rocker

Hey, where's my Avatar ?

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2006, 11:53:01 AM »

In some ways pirated help artist or the band to get more popular.
Imagine.someone who doesnt like rock music.and didnt like GN'R at all.and he buy the pirated CD's because its alot more cheaps.and he start to like GN'R and become fans.

My life is so Fuckin' Boring...Until The Chinese Democracy Comes.
makane
Legend

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2006, 12:00:53 PM »

Who cares if someone downloads Guns N' Roses's new album? Do you really think Axl is in desperate need of money?
This would be a completely different thing if this was a new upcoming band with their debut album, but this is Guns N' Roses.
Yeah, I would disagree with this if I was working for the record label, but im a fan of music, so I think it should only be about the music. It stops being art when you do it for the money.
Some decide to buy it, and some dont. That's just how it goes.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: