Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 09:18:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228115 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why Estranged is so underrated?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why Estranged is so underrated?  (Read 11777 times)
highend88
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: September 11, 2006, 03:59:38 PM »

Why didn't the song make it to the billboard charts? Did the singles sell well?
It didn't even go on the list of the greatest guitar solos.
Didn't many of GNR fans love estranged? Is it so overproduced? I realized only the "hardcore fans" like it.
Maybe we should have a poll about the song. Reason why people like and dislike it.

For me personally, it is one of the best songs that AXL had written with old GNR.
It had the best guitar and piano solos.
I've listened to so many songs and none had solos better than estranged.

Yet it is so underrated!!

I get up around seven
Get outta bed around nine
And I don't worry about nothin' no
'Cause worrin's a waste of my fuckin time
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 04:02:52 PM »

Maybe because it's considered bloated?  Undecided

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
makane
Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 04:05:15 PM »

because it's over nine minutes. songs long as this never come real "radio hits".

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
anythinggoes
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 04:07:39 PM »

its more of an album track not a single its the gunners secret epic if it got rammed down everyone throat it may of been a hit plus there isnt a chorus to the song
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 04:08:23 PM »

I think it's a result of two things.

1. The song is pretty long, and not the amped up motivator that Paradise City is.
2. At the time of it's release, GnR was being overshadowed by 'alternative rock'. You really had to live thru it to understand, but bands like Nirvana, Soundgarden, AIC & Smashing Pumpkins were huge from 92-94. And if I'm correct Estranged was one of the latter songs released off UYI, the tides of rock music had shifted by then. I remember only seeing the 'Estranged' video a few times (Something about Axl jumping off a ship) whereas Pearl Jam's Jeremy was being played Non-stop.

Alina
Rocker

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

I also not realy understant why estranget underrated , its realy beautiful song, every time
I listen to the song the song take my breathe away and make my heart beat very fast .
Estranged one of the most great songs in the world!!!!!!!!!!

pasnow
VIP

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 04:09:50 PM »

It has stood the test of time very well.
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 04:11:37 PM »

Maybe because it's considered bloated?? Undecided

I hate people calling songs bloated. Lots of great artists have done similar stuff but for some reason when GnR did it, it was considered bloated. Bohemian Rhapsody is the most bloated song ever but its still considered one of the best ever. I think maybe the video for Estranged, particularly the dolphins part is why its considered bloated. As a single it was released way too late, too years after the albums, to have any real impact. It's a shame because it is one of the best songs ever. Slash's guitar playing is so unprecedented, so unique, so beautiful, so amazing. That dynamic between piano and guitar was so unique. Still, was it a good idea to put too almost completely different songs together like that? At first I wasn't sure but now I understand it. The song is a journey. It should have closed the IUse Your lllusion II album. It sums up the UYI albums and the love them or hate them attitude people have with them. Chances are if you like this song, you love the Illusions. If not, you probably hate them.

madagas
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 04:14:44 PM »

I too think it is a wonderful wonderful song. The video is what is terrible and does hurt the reputation of the song....probably should not have done the video. I too also think it should have finished off UYI2. beer
highend88
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 04:15:36 PM »

because it's over nine minutes. songs long as this never come real "radio hits".

Ok you've made a point. I get it.
So in general the public dislike estranged and prefer to listen to JT, Britney and 50Cents.

I cannot imagine why people nowdays listen to untalented singers.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 04:17:27 PM by highend88 » Logged

I get up around seven
Get outta bed around nine
And I don't worry about nothin' no
'Cause worrin's a waste of my fuckin time
kunzerd
VIP

5/12/06, 5/17/06, 11/10/06, 11/26/11, 2/10/12,

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 04:18:23 PM »

I think it's a result of two things.

1. The song is pretty long, and not the amped up motivator that Paradise City is.
2. At the time of it's release, GnR was being overshadowed by 'alternative rock'. You really had to live thru it to understand, but bands like Nirvana, Soundgarden, AIC & Smashing Pumpkins were huge from 92-94. And if I'm correct Estranged was one of the latter songs released off UYI, the tides of rock music had shifted by then. I remember only seeing the 'Estranged' video a few times (Something about Axl jumping off a ship) whereas Pearl Jam's Jeremy was being played Non-stop.

well put, and i totally agree. the newer bands at that time were quickly overshadowing gnr.

estranged was probably the last song released off those albums (if not garden of eden). plus, though november rain was about the same length, november rain was clearly a love song, where estranged is less that, and more like a song of reflection on love and life. that combined with its lack of any repetition (november rain has atleast some vague sense of a chorus) takes away from it ability to be catchy.

12/06/02 - Philly RIOT
5/12/06 - Hammerstein, NY
5/17/06 - Hammerstein, NY
11/10/06 - MSG
11/26/11 - Camden. NJ
2/10/12 - Roseland Ballroom, NY
2/24/12 - HoB, AC, NJ
6/12/13 - Quebec
7/14/16 -
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 04:22:10 PM »

well put, and i totally agree. the newer bands at that time were quickly overshadowing gnr.

Sadly, GNR was one of the only bands of their ilk that could have survived that period.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
kunzerd
VIP

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 04:23:43 PM »

i totally went over why the love song thing was important:

two things make up whats popular (or whats popular can fill three categories):

1) if its heavy enough for most guys to rock to

or

2) if it has a dancable beat

3) or is a love song

(im really over simplifing, but name some hit songs and youll see it fills these requirements in some way: jungle, november rain, brownstone, patience).

this is also why those other hits are hits, even though they suck.

12/06/02 - Philly RIOT
11/10/06 - MSG
11/26/11 - Camden. NJ
2/24/12 - HoB, AC, NJ
6/12/13 - Quebec
7/14/16 -
kunzerd
VIP

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2006, 04:25:46 PM »

Sadly, GNR was one of the only bands of their ilk that could have survived that period.

if your talking pregrunge, than yes, they are basically the only one with heavy radio rotation to this day.

grunge era though, no, a lot of those bands (and the bands they later turned into) are still popular, and some still around as popular as ever.

12/06/02 - Philly RIOT
11/10/06 - MSG
11/26/11 - Camden. NJ
2/24/12 - HoB, AC, NJ
6/12/13 - Quebec
7/14/16 -
Origen
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2006, 04:26:07 PM »

I think if anythink it's overrated from a hardcore fan point of view on the forums.

As for main stream, it didn't go down well for 2 reasons imo,
Grunge was taken over and stadium bands like GnR were dying out.
And the video is totally overblown and alienated alot of people.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2006, 04:30:30 PM »

if your talking pregrunge, than yes, they are basically the only one with heavy radio rotation to this day.

grunge era though, no, a lot of those bands (and the bands they later turned into) are still popular, and some still around as popular as ever.

I still think they could have survived grunge itself if they made a tight to the point record after getting the epic UYI thing out of their systems.

Skinflick
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 04:35:01 PM »

Why didn't the song make it to the billboard charts? Did the singles sell well?
It didn't even go on the list of the greatest guitar solos.
Didn't many of GNR fans love estranged? Is it so overproduced? I realized only the "hardcore fans" like it.
Maybe we should have a poll about the song. Reason why people like and dislike it.

For me personally, it is one of the best songs that AXL had written with old GNR.
It had the best guitar and piano solos.
I've listened to so many songs and none had solos better than estranged.

Yet it is so underrated!!

Yeah, Estranged is one of the most original and best songs I have ever heard in my life by any band......someway, somehow...it will be more recognised down the road.

NOW GO HOME AND GET YOUR FUCKIN' SHINEBOX!!!
kunzerd
VIP

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2006, 04:37:32 PM »

I still think they could have survived grunge itself if they made a tight to the point record after getting the epic UYI thing out of their systems.

they did, it was called the spaghetti incident.

no i think what axl has done is what they shouldve done, change with the times. hope it works out.

12/06/02 - Philly RIOT
11/10/06 - MSG
11/26/11 - Camden. NJ
2/24/12 - HoB, AC, NJ
6/12/13 - Quebec
7/14/16 -
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2006, 04:39:30 PM »

maybe they didnt play that song so often in the US but I remember seing the video for estranged at least 200 million times  Tongue

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2006, 04:43:25 PM »

they did, it was called the spaghetti incident.

no i think what axl has done is what they shouldve done, change with the times. hope it works out.

A cover album like that doesn't count, and that was in the works for a while. And one should'nt compromise themselves to change with the times, but to change within yoursef(ves) and within your terms.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: