Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 06:21:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  The Evolution of "The Blues"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Evolution of "The Blues"  (Read 3011 times)
themovieaddict.com
« on: September 09, 2006, 03:14:00 AM »

I love how this song has developed over the years. It's always been my favorite of the live tracks we've heard (a studio version would be amazing).

I think it's particularly interesting to hear how the song has evolved. At RIR3 it was a bit faster-paced, the vocal style was different and the outro was different. It was a bit more like CITR with its pace and all. At House of Blues Axl gave an awesome scream at the outro (instead of the "only memories" part being kind of a climbing tone, he bellowed it out at full force) and he's done this a few times since then - including at one or two of the Hammerstein shows.

By '02 the song had a new, slower pace with a bit of a more snyth-y intro with louder guitars and the vocals were a bit higher-pitched than at RIR. The outro differed by performance - I kind of miss that little background snyth pattern they used at Tacoma '02, loved that.

As far as I know Axl didn't do the scream outro at all in 2002 but I could be wrong. He developed a new intro that become pretty typical for each performance, but sometimes he'd change it a bit.

'06 lost the guitar intro and was a little bit slower again. Axl sang it with more of a rasp and the song wasn't quite as "clean" in this regard - it sounded less layered but the vocal range wasn't as large.

Then at Rock Am Ring he gave it another new outro which was nice to hear but I didn't really like it all that much.

Anyway, my favorite outro was definitely the House of Blues style which was when he screams "only memory" - so much raw emotion in that!
Poof!
Rocker

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 03:25:47 AM »

Personally, I feel that they can take the RIR3 performance, clean it up in the studio with a couple of overdubs and then put it on the album. I just feel that The Blues was perfect at RIR3, the intro, the guitars, the singing...everything. I'm not a big fan of the "new" arrangement and I truly hope the guitar intro is still on the studio version.
themovieaddict.com
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 03:36:50 AM »

Personally, I feel that they can take the RIR3 performance, clean it up in the studio with a couple of overdubs and then put it on the album. I just feel that The Blues was perfect at RIR3, the intro, the guitars, the singing...everything. I'm not a big fan of the "new" arrangement and I truly hope the guitar intro is still on the studio version.

I like Axl's quiet vocals on RIR but his voice was a bit shaky. I also like it better the way it was performed in '02. I think a mix of Boston and Tacoma '02 would be amazing. And I totally agree about the guitars. I didn't mind at first, but the more I hear the new live performances, the less I like the "new" style of the song - I mean, it's still great, but those guitars and the effects throughout the song really made it stand out. It sounds a bit more standard now, not quite the song that blew me away when I first heard it.
Poof!
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 04:06:08 AM »

I like Axl's quiet vocals on RIR but his voice was a bit shaky. I also like it better the way it was performed in '02. I think a mix of Boston and Tacoma '02 would be amazing. And I totally agree about the guitars. I didn't mind at first, but the more I hear the new live performances, the less I like the "new" style of the song - I mean, it's still great, but those guitars and the effects throughout the song really made it stand out. It sounds a bit more standard now, not quite the song that blew me away when I first heard it.

Exactly, it took away from the songs grandness. I'm sure the studio version will have a raspy voice on it, but the guitars need to come back. I went from downloading every live version of that song to only one this year, because when I heard it this year I was so disappointed. I loved the guitars and the old arrangement. That's what made it a classic to me.
vicente
Headliner

"OK, nevermind"

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 04:46:10 PM »

The 2001/2002 version is the better one. It has to have the guitars, it enhances the power of this song which, along with Better, are the two outstanding songs so far.

Vicente

"all that anger, all that anger"
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 05:26:16 PM »

i remember that i sang "ok nevermind" a very long time after i heard it, even after i heard thath it wasn't supposed to be like that adn after i saw the video after i downloaded it hihi rofl
Demon Wolf
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 07:08:31 PM »

... I don't get what all the fuzz about the RIR version is. Axl's voice is...  nervous
I think it doesn't hold a candle against the Rock Am Ring version, but that's just my opinion.

Here today...gone to China to bring back Democracy!

- My covers of If The World n' Catcher In The Rye - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FOfNxtBjQbQ&feature=channel_page
JohnMorrison73
Banned
VIP

CRIME SCENE SLUNK

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 07:45:35 PM »

i never liked this song

-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 08:17:09 PM »

It's all about the synths in the 2002 versions. Yummy.

The 06 version bores me.

gnrevolution.com
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 09:59:43 PM »

Anywhere I can hear the RIR3 version?  The Pittsburgh '02 version is what I'm used to...I love the low-key into, the vocals at the end...everything.  I can't say  I was thrilled to hear the '06 version in NYC earlier in the year.
nateinthehon
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 11:34:48 PM »

I loved this song when it first debuted online from The HOB show. It zipped along, I think Axls Vocals and Brains drumming made it, it was smappy ala SCOM

Then the 02 version, I thought sucked. It slowed down too much, I didnt like the synths, and Axl didt nail it like he did at HOB and Rio.

But in 06, with the longer piano intro, Axl's doing a better job singing it, it seems to sped up again,,,I like it again
slash2001
Rocker

Axl's Scottish ya know......

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 08:04:08 AM »

I fell in love instantly after hearing it at Rock in Rio 3, I have adjusted to the changes to the song since then but the RIR version is still my favourite, put in Richards Guitar solo at the end and its the one.  Im sure it'll sound amazing on the album though but I still listen to the RIR version almost every day on my ipod.
 peace

"I don't know just what I should do, everywhere I go I see you"
The Blues
W. Axl Rose
Best version - Rock in Rio 3 - 2001
Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2006, 07:34:07 PM »

Ya Recon?

I think the Blues from rir3 was the worst version ever. HOB 2001 kicks the arse outta that and any other version of the blues. MSG 2002 was pretty good, but Axl's voice in 2001 HOB version was killer. The outro ooos and aahhhs are done perfectly.

peace

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE