Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 04:29:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228126 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Since I Don't Have You Question
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Since I Don't Have You Question  (Read 4948 times)
Disco Volante
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2006, 12:20:20 AM »

Didn't Axl put this song on TSI without discussing it with the rest of the band?
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2006, 01:47:13 AM »

Tarrantino uses this in his films

Care to elaborate on this? I concider myself a pretty big QT fan, but aside from very intentional on screen drug use, I can't recall any underlying drug references.
?

Well for starters man, check the time on all the clocks in Pulp Fiction (with the exception of one).

Didn't Axl put this song on TSI without discussing it with the rest of the band?

I think you are thinking about My World. Slash and the rest of the band plays on SIDHY and are in the video so...

Thinking more about it, this track (the ending) and the few that were on the UYI's were getting into very psychedelic sounds. Axl's voice when used right is very VERY trippy in itself. I wish he did lay down some trance rock tracks as it would be real cool. TWAT to me, takes me places when I am in the right zone.

Axl knows the exact running time to his songs, and I am sure is well aware of the significance to the number. I believe the ending to the song is all Axl experimenting much like My World.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2006, 08:17:10 AM »

Yeah I think Axl's voice is very trippy in The Garden. Also a little bit in Coma too.
SkinnyPuppy
Rocker

What, me Worry ?

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2006, 11:26:45 AM »

Tarrantino uses this in his films

Care to elaborate on this? I concider myself a pretty big QT fan, but aside from very intentional on screen drug use, I can't recall any underlying drug references.
?

Most of the clocks in Pulp Fiction are set to 4:20  ok

Awesome topic BTW

Wounds heal, chicks dig scars, and glory, glory lasts forever. (falco)
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2006, 11:51:06 AM »

I definetly dont think they recorded this song as a joke. Axl wouldnt have put that much time into his vocals. He has 3 or 4 tracks on there. You could tell if they were fooling around, I mean listen to the Cornchucker demo, they definetly recorded that as a joke.
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2006, 11:56:52 AM »

i think i might be the only person who liked tsi, all be it a covers album, down on the farm is great!!!! drool

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2006, 12:07:33 PM »

I think it's possible. The ending of SIDHY is just filler junk anyway. '14 Years' is also 4:20 but that doesn't seem to have any relevance...

Fuck 'Em All.
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2006, 12:41:10 PM »

oh what a downer!.lol
jk , but this is linda a funny cool thread to pass the time ......

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
stvyrayvhn
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2006, 12:56:51 PM »

I definetly dont think they recorded this song as a joke. Axl wouldnt have put that much time into his vocals. He has 3 or 4 tracks on there. You could tell if they were fooling around, I mean listen to the Cornchucker demo, they definetly recorded that as a joke.

I think I remember hearing why this song was recorded.  Slash was staying over at Axl's and one morning heard Axl walking around singing it.  Or something to that effect.  Slash liked how he sang it so they recorded it. 

I'm really turning on the way back machine to try and remember this...

BTW Personally, I really like TSI.  Of course I am a bit of a punk fan and especially like Ain't it fun. 

Oh and another thing, wasn't the end of SIDHY an add on that Axl didn't know about?  I seem to remember a story about that too...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 01:02:46 PM by stvyrayvhn » Logged
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2006, 01:00:08 PM »

I think it's possible. The ending of SIDHY is just filler junk anyway. '14 Years' is also 4:20 but that doesn't seem to have any relevance...

14 year has a shit load of significance if Chinese Democracy gets released in 2006.

See, I dont consider the end to SIDHY to be junk at all. This is an example of what started to spill into the GNR sound as a whole. The experimenting and creativity that Axl obviously wanted (which I am totally cool with...if it sounds tripped out and badass). I appreciate that shit. Its cool that Axl wanted them to go further...and to be something more. Its experimenting. Like My world, the Garden, and Oh My God before it. What we will get with Chinese Democracy will be the culmination of this. TWAT for instance. Isn't TWAT an unbearably cool and tripped out track? I bet there is even more of this on the actual album. You get what I am saying to you? But without the time put in back in the day, things and music might not be what they will be today.

So I kind of dig the end of SIDHY. Its interesting. Which really can't be said about what follows. Except now.

Mr Bootlegs
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2006, 01:29:12 PM »

The Spaggetti indicent rocks, if you give it a couple of listens. I agree hair of the dog is the  best on the album, but i think SIDHY is the worst by far. I hate that song. Aint It Fun rocks.

And for all the QT fans out there, he has said in interviews that it is a coincidence that a couple of them are. But the person that said there are all but one is wrong.

From IMDB:
"There is a persistent myth that that all the clocks in the movie are set to 4:20 (although, certainly all the clocks on the wall in the pawn shop are set to 4:20). However, in at least two scenes it is obvious that this is not the case. In the "Bonnie Situation" while Jimmy, Vince and Jules are drinking coffee in the kitchen, the clock clearly reads 8:15. Secondly, when Vince and Jules go to retrieve the briefcase, it is "7:22 in the a.m.". The significance of the time 4:20 is that it is slang for smoking marijuana."
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2006, 01:42:39 PM »

The significance of the time 4:20 is that it is slang for smoking marijuana."

Dude we all get what 4:20 represents. That parts been already talked about. The Significance is how this all relates.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2006, 04:32:07 PM »

I doubt it was done intentionally.? I'd expect that from a stoner band, but not Guns N' Roses.

But GNR has done several tracks about being under the influence of psychedelics directly (The Garden and My world For instance). And don't pigeonhole bands like that dude. The music out of the 60's slaps comments like that. I don't think you know what you just said. Stoner bands were the Dead, Beatles, Hendrix, Doors, Joplin, Sabbath, Zepplin, Floyd, the Stones and on. But of course no one calls them stoner bands, so you shouldnt either. GNR are awesome because we don't normally have bands at this level of musicianship.

Tarrantino uses this in his films as do many other filmmakers and musicians. Its not a knock, so maybe you shouldnt make it out to be one. Its a reference and in the case of this track...it is appropriate. I think its funny if that is what they did. Or maybe its just a strange coincidence but, that is what Im asking.

I noticed that at the end of SIDHY there was some GNR songs in the credits and one of them was called How I Cry?

That is fucking interesting! How I cry? Dude that is a catch I haven't heard yet. Right on man. I think this shit is totally intentional. GNR is always doing this. Dude you serious? Never noticed the songs in the credits. How I cry? Hmmm...

And I'm saying it's just a coincidence.  I'd find it kind of silly if they made the song 4 minutes and 20 seconds on purpose and kept quiet about it.  What's the point?  Obviously it didn't work too well if someone's just picking up on it NOW, 13 years after the song was released.  Just one man's opinion though.  I'm sure there are a lot of songs out there that are 4:20, don't read too much into it.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2006, 04:37:11 PM »

I always figured the dudes were stoned off there ass when they recorded this...at the very least Axl was. I am not saying I don't like it because in a weird way I do (and to be perfectly honest, I think the album is so far beneath GNR that I have never really enjoyed it. SIDHY just might be the most listenable track on TSI for me. Least cringe inducing. Not a punk rock fan. I do like the Ramones so I umm...). I also kind of dig old 50's songs on occasion and appreciate the originals vocals so Axl's take is interesting in that context. I am getting to my question...so hold up. So its obvious this song was another GNR fucking around track. From the "Yep, We're fucked" right down to the strange ass video. I felt like downloading off itunes last night while I was you know, kicking back, and something hit me (as opposed to me hitting something). So without further a fucking doo, the question.

Is the running time for the track intentional? With the way the track winds done this would be easily controlled. I always dug the fact that GN'R had done cool hidden shit in the past (like the YCBM line in the booklet for Appetite and the Aint it fun title in the UYI one). So you think it is?

I DO get your point about the outro.  The song definitely could've ended much before 4:20.  I still don't think it's unintentional, but who knows.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
RoCoKiN
VIP

I am The Shackler in the Rye with Diamonds!!

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2006, 05:07:32 PM »

Off the topic and around the corner: Call me a dumbass, but what is The Spaghetti Incident?  I know it has something to do with Adler and something referenced to in court but what happened?

'...Oh, my distorted smile...'
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2006, 05:37:51 PM »

And I'm saying it's just a coincidence.? I'd find it kind of silly if they made the song 4 minutes and 20 seconds on purpose and kept quiet about it.? What's the point?? Obviously it didn't work too well if someone's just picking up on it NOW, 13 years after the song was released.? Just one man's opinion though.? I'm sure there are a lot of songs out there that are 4:20, don't read too much into it.

Did GNR ever acknowledge any of the other strange shit they have done in the past? Like the YCBM thing and Aint it fun from the booklets of the last albums ...and now this How I cry? GNR has always been doing weird ass shit, and its always cool when they are found. Shit Did you hear about How I cry? thing from the Since I don't Have You video before the dude told us about it here? I didn't. The way this song has been handled by GN'R is really fucking odd. Not in a bad way...just way the fuck out there.

Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2006, 06:17:37 PM »

I don't think it was done intentionally by GN'R.  Perhaps whoever was finalizing the tracks was a stoner, and saw it was going to be like 4:18 or whatever and rounded it off to 4:20.   Huh

"T minus 1:09 and counting" during Perfect Crime on the other hand...
"T minus 1:09 and counting" is exactly how long the song runs for after Axl says that.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2006, 07:06:16 PM »

Haha yea, I always thought that shit was badass.

Bono
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2006, 07:32:23 PM »

Nope absolutely not. There are tons of songs in life that have a  running time of 4:20 and unless the song is centered around smoking up than no I don't think it's intentional. In fact I know it's not intentional. I mean  seriously like I said there's shit loads of songs with the running tiem of 4:20. Roll Eyes
AxlRoseVen
Drink Til U Drop
Banned
VIP

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2006, 07:32:39 PM »

I doubt it was done intentionally.? I'd expect that from a stoner band, but not Guns N' Roses.

But GNR has done several tracks about being under the influence of psychedelics directly (The Garden and My world For instance). And don't pigeonhole bands like that dude. The music out of the 60's slaps comments like that. I don't think you know what you just said. Stoner bands were the Dead, Beatles, Hendrix, Doors, Joplin, Sabbath, Zepplin, Floyd, the Stones and on. But of course no one calls them stoner bands, so you shouldnt either. GNR are awesome because we don't normally have bands at this level of musicianship.

Tarrantino uses this in his films as do many other filmmakers and musicians. Its not a knock, so maybe you shouldnt make it out to be one. Its a reference and in the case of this track...it is appropriate. I think its funny if that is what they did. Or maybe its just a strange coincidence but, that is what Im asking.

I noticed that at the end of SIDHY there was some GNR songs in the credits and one of them was called How I Cry?

That is fucking interesting! How I cry? Dude that is a catch I haven't heard yet. Right on man. I think this shit is totally intentional. GNR is always doing this. Dude you serious? Never noticed the songs in the credits. How I cry? Hmmm...

hihi ? little Kidz, it's time for ya ta grow up, GNR did everything intentionally from da'start, d'ya think they r idiots ta go to studio just ta record songs like naive angels? they were a rock band, rock means something so fucking rude n' dirty!, i remember when i found out the track number 13 of the TSI album, i was listening that track with my friend, so he n' i didn't know that it was there 'till i noticed that the track 12 was already over while another track was on still!,the cover of this album only mentions 12 tracks!? so this way GNR knew they could surprise their fans somehow, that's how the show business works always, don't ya forget!!! ?Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 07:34:47 PM by AxlRoseVen » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: