Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 04:55:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228126 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Since I Don't Have You Question
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Since I Don't Have You Question  (Read 4953 times)
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« on: September 07, 2006, 05:26:29 PM »

I always figured the dudes were stoned off there ass when they recorded this...at the very least Axl was. I am not saying I don't like it because in a weird way I do (and to be perfectly honest, I think the album is so far beneath GNR that I have never really enjoyed it. SIDHY just might be the most listenable track on TSI for me. Least cringe inducing. Not a punk rock fan. I do like the Ramones so I umm...). I also kind of dig old 50's songs on occasion and appreciate the originals vocals so Axl's take is interesting in that context. I am getting to my question...so hold up. So its obvious this song was another GNR fucking around track. From the "Yep, We're fucked" right down to the strange ass video. I felt like downloading off itunes last night while I was you know, kicking back, and something hit me (as opposed to me hitting something). So without further a fucking doo, the question.

Is the running time for the track intentional? With the way the track winds done this would be easily controlled. I always dug the fact that GN'R had done cool hidden shit in the past (like the YCBM line in the booklet for Appetite and the Aint it fun title in the UYI one). So you think it is?

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
busngabb
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 05:33:56 PM »

You'll have to be more specific about the time dude. The Da Vinci code this ain't ok

Off the top of my head the running time is 4.18. Which means what?
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 05:36:23 PM »

You'll have to be more specific about the time dude. The Da Vinci code this ain't ok

The running time is 4:20

russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 05:38:54 PM »

I always figured the dudes were stoned off there ass when they recorded this...at the very least Axl was. I am not saying I don't like it because in a weird way I do (and to be perfectly honest, I think the album is so far beneath GNR that I have never really enjoyed it. SIDHY just might be the most listenable track on TSI for me. Least cringe inducing. Not a punk rock fan. I do like the Ramones so I umm...). I also kind of dig old 50's songs on occasion and appreciate the originals vocals so Axl's take is interesting in that context. I am getting to my question...so hold up. So its obvious this song was another GNR fucking around track. From the "Yep, We're fucked" right down to the strange ass video. I felt like downloading off itunes last night while I was you know, kicking back, and something hit me (as opposed to me hitting something). So without further a fucking doo, the question.

Is the running time for the track intentional? With the way the track winds done this would be easily controlled. I always dug the fact that GN'R had done cool hidden shit in the past (like the YCBM line in the booklet for Appetite and the Aint it fun title in the UYI one). So you think it is?

For me the most listenable track from that album is "Hair of the Dog" but if you question is "Did they mean to end Since I Don't Have You that way?" then my answer would be "I think so".

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 05:41:45 PM »

I get what you mean by 420,maybe others dont.lol

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
busngabb
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 05:44:48 PM »

Oops. I'll buy it one day honestly I will.

Anyway, what does 4:20 mean? Some American gangster reference perhaps? Something about drugs or sex?

Help...
LittleFly
Legend

A dream realized

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 05:52:27 PM »

Anyway, what does 4:20 mean? Some American gangster reference perhaps? Something about drugs or sex?

Help...

It means times to smoke pot Wink

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

www.cindyscrazy.com   www.facebook.com/cindyscrazy

"...now where's that monkey? I want to shoot something"- Cap'n Jack Sparrow
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 05:53:48 PM »

Help...

Here is your red pill dude

http://www.snopes.com/language/stories/420.htm

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 06:05:34 PM »

I doubt it was done intentionally.  I'd expect that from a stoner band, but not Guns N' Roses.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Tonrey
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 06:16:10 PM »

I noticed that at the end of SIDHY there was some GNR songs in the credits and one of them was called How I Cry?

Edit: The video of SIDHY.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 06:22:04 PM by Tonrey » Logged
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 06:28:22 PM »

I doubt it was done intentionally.? I'd expect that from a stoner band, but not Guns N' Roses.

But GNR has done several tracks about being under the influence of psychedelics directly (The Garden and My world For instance). And don't pigeonhole bands like that dude. The music out of the 60's slaps comments like that. I don't think you know what you just said. Stoner bands were the Dead, Beatles, Hendrix, Doors, Joplin, Sabbath, Zepplin, Floyd, the Stones and on. But of course no one calls them stoner bands, so you shouldnt either. GNR are awesome because we don't normally have bands at this level of musicianship.

Tarrantino uses this in his films as do many other filmmakers and musicians. Its not a knock, so maybe you shouldnt make it out to be one. Its a reference and in the case of this track...it is appropriate. I think its funny if that is what they did. Or maybe its just a strange coincidence but, that is what Im asking.

I noticed that at the end of SIDHY there was some GNR songs in the credits and one of them was called How I Cry?

That is fucking interesting! How I cry? Dude that is a catch I haven't heard yet. Right on man. I think this shit is totally intentional. GNR is always doing this. Dude you serious? Never noticed the songs in the credits. How I cry? Hmmm...

russtcb
Legend

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 06:36:03 PM »

I doubt it was done intentionally.? I'd expect that from a stoner band, but not Guns N' Roses.

But GNR has done several tracks about being under the influence of psychedelics directly (The Garden and My world For instance). And don't pigeonhole bands like that dude. The music out of the 60's slaps comments like that. I don't think you know what you just said. Stoner bands were the Dead, Beatles, Hendrix, Doors, Joplin, Sabbath, Zepplin, Floyd, the Stones and on. But of course no one calls them stoner bands, so you shouldnt either. GNR are awesome because we don't normally have bands at this level of musicianship.

Tarrantino uses this in his films as do many other filmmakers and musicians. Its not a knock, so maybe you shouldnt make it out to be one. Its a reference and in the case of this track...it is appropriate. I think its funny if that is what they did. Or maybe its just a strange coincidence but, that is what Im asking.

That is fucking interesting! How I cry? Dude that is a catch I haven't heard yet. Right on man. I think this shit is totally intentional. GNR is always doing this. Dude you serious? Never noticed the songs in the credits. How I cry? Hmmm...

Yeah really! Me neither! Where do I see this? I wanna check it out for myself.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 07:27:55 PM »

The funny thing is really why Axl says yep we're fucked in since I dont have you. Now that is a funny story  beer

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 07:31:43 PM »

The funny thing is really why Axl says yep we're fucked in since I dont have you. Now that is a funny story? beer

Do tell...

jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 07:53:23 PM »

Yeah quit hoarding all the good stories lol
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2006, 10:50:35 PM »

YEa Dave, I don't remember the story behind that. I almost take that as literal. Like, they are really fucked up and trashed, or they are fucking around and fucked up for doing that kind of song (or album for that matter). I am all ears man.

And as long as its apparently part of the SIDHY video ( really an awesome catch. I am not sure anyone else even noticed it), it would be very GNR if

"How I Cry?" turns out to be a song title that appears on a future album...or part of a chorus to one of the "Big Guns". 

jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2006, 10:53:23 PM »

wow and the plot thickens. Id like to know also the story.

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2006, 11:21:32 PM »

Tarrantino uses this in his films

Care to elaborate on this? I concider myself a pretty big QT fan, but aside from very intentional on screen drug use, I can't recall any underlying drug references.

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
directionality
Headliner

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2006, 12:11:02 AM »

Edit: The video of SIDHY.
I just watched it and in the credits it clearly says "Don't Cry," not "How I Cry."
WhatIsItMan
VIP

What IS it Man?!

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2006, 12:17:36 AM »

I don't think it was done intentionally by GN'R.  Perhaps whoever was finalizing the tracks was a stoner, and saw it was going to be like 4:18 or whatever and rounded it off to 4:20.   Huh

"T minus 1:09 and counting" during Perfect Crime on the other hand...

Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: