Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 02:29:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228114 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  How has Axl managed to stop(slow) the leaks so much?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: How has Axl managed to stop(slow) the leaks so much?  (Read 8653 times)
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2006, 08:57:00 AM »

Well,was it coincidence that Gnr leaked tracks was tracks which they played on tour

something strange

I have never seen so many tree
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2006, 10:26:17 AM »

Well,was it coincidence that Gnr leaked tracks was tracks which they played on tour

something strange

I got killed at another forum for suggesting that the band leaked the demos themselves but I don't see it any other way.

As far as the actual topic of how the leaks slowed, I think once management made it clear that they did not want them played on the radio I think the sensation about them died out immediately. For example, that whole first weekend where everything was leaked there were torrents at every site with the leaks zipped together w/ The Blues, CD, Maddy and so on. Those all had like 800 - 1000 seeds and leechers at any given time. But as soon as they stopped getting played / talked about on the radio it all died off.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Mandy.
Bitch Queen
Legend

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2006, 10:32:19 AM »

something strange

I got killed at another forum for suggesting that the band leaked the demos themselves but I don't see it any other way.

Same. I've always believed they were intentional. If they weren't, why did they leak now and not before? Why did they leak a few months before a tour in which the only new songs played were the ones that leaked?
Ever thought that maybe they wanted to see our reaction to their new music?
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2006, 10:36:59 AM »

something strange

Same. I've always believed they were intentional. If they weren't, why did they leak now and not before? Why did they leak a few months before a tour in which the only new songs played were the ones that leaked?
Ever thought that maybe they wanted to see our reaction to their new music?

Yep. I cannot see how people would think that the band wasn't behind the leaks. I mean Axl shows up at a party, says "people will hear music this year" and within three months new music is leaked. COME ON!  Smiley

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
//JK75
VIP

It's been a long time for me

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2006, 10:58:21 AM »

Seriously I wonder how he's managed this. Especially when you consider U2 has already had a bunch of songs leak for thier new album. Mind you the quality isn't great but still. U2 is like the biggest band in the world and even they can't stop leaks and they've only been recording for a few months. So I ask you how in the world did Axl manage to keep this under wraps for so long?? It's a bit odd. Huh

Wow, there are leaks of U2 New Album already ?

//JK
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2006, 12:07:03 PM »

Axl leaked the songs - he wanted to gage the public's opinions of some of the new material - he's probably read all of our comments on this forum and others too

The real question is whether or not he will leak us a couple of more before the CD comes out. I think at this point, It would be very smart of him to get another one of these tunes out there - last time he did it, I would say he created quite a buzz
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2006, 12:22:20 PM »

Here's my theory du jour:

The tracks that leaked leaked BECAUSE of the tour, but not directly from the band.

It's no secret they were looking for another guitar player.  My suspicion (wholly unfounded and speculative) is that those tracks (IRS, Better, TWAT...Catcher, I think came from somewhere completely different) were shared with prospective guitar players so they could "audition" them for Axl, Tommy, the band, or whoever was making the decisions.  Somebody was either careless with the tracks, "lent" them to the wrong person, OR decided to release them anonymously themselves. 

Again, that's my wholly unfounded, speculative, bullshit theory....

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2006, 12:30:32 PM »

Most likely theory is that the album isn't done yet.? The tracks have not been finalized, the CD is not being mass produced, etc.

Once the album hits those stages, all the tracks will surface one way or the other.? Bank on it.

Red1
VIP

yeah, you probably have seen me around.....

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2006, 12:40:43 PM »

I think it's absurd that anyone would think the leaks weren't leaked by the GNR camp!
Alina
Rocker

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2006, 12:46:05 PM »

I think ?the songs leaked this year ,
becouse Axl kept them in a safe place , IMO I dont think that he hide the songs from band members , but he didnt gave the tracks to people who he not trust 100%.
this year Axl return to the public and he says the albom will be this year , if they realising albom this year so more people have accsess to the tracks - more opportunity that the songs will leak.

Axl has managed to stop the leaks so much by not leaking them any more. ok

maybe the band standing behind the leaks , after the whole years they can be curios
about the reaction to the leaks , especially before the tour .

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2006, 12:46:12 PM »

I think it's absurd that anyone would think the leaks weren't leaked by the GNR camp!

Well, here's the thing:

I've had conversations with those that helped leak, or participated in leaking (not the original source of the material, mind you), the tracks.

I've gotten pretty intimate details about their contact with GnR management and the GnR camp, after the fact. ?And, given the response of those people (like, ya know, Merck), and how pretty pissed off they were...and given how voraciously they went about trying to trace the leaks back to their "source", I'd say it stands to reason they (meaning the GnR camp) didn't leak them directly.

I mean, I guess you could try to make the case Axl did it, directly, without letting management know...and then tried to cover it up, etc....but...I don't know...it just doesn't seem to hold much water, ya know?

Together again,
TrixAreForKids
Silly Rabbit
Rocker

Tongue like a razor.

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2006, 12:54:31 PM »

Well, here's the thing:

I've had conversations with those that helped leak, or participated in leaking (not the original source of the material, mind you), the tracks.

I've gotten pretty intimate details about their contact with GnR management and the GnR camp, directly. ?And, given the response of those people (like, ya know, Merck), and how pretty pissed off they were...and given how voraciously they went about trying to trace the leaks back to their "source", I'd say it stands to reason they (meaning the GnR camp) didn't leak them directly.

I mean, I guess you could try to make the case Axl did it, directly, without letting management know...and then tried to cover it up, etc....but...I don't know...it just doesn't seem to hold much water, ya know?

I also believe management didn't initiate the leak.

It's always been my opinion that whoever leaked IRS, TWAT, and BETTER wasn't aware of the status of these songs because they aren' huge GnR' fan like most of us. I think someone (executive at Geffen or somewhere) gave someone a cd with a bunch of various upcoming songs done by various artists. When Axl mentioned the names of the songs in an interview with RS that's when they realized what they had and leaked them.

How CITR comes to play, I have no idea, but it doesn't come from the same source as the other three.
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2006, 12:59:01 PM »

Well, here's the thing:

I've gotten pretty intimate details about their contact with GnR management and the GnR camp, after the fact.  And, given the response of those people (like, ya know, Merck), and how pretty pissed off they were...and given how voraciously they went about trying to trace the leaks back to their "source", I'd say it stands to reason they (meaning the GnR camp) didn't leak them directly.

yea, but of course they're going to deny leaking them.  the whole point of a 'leak' is to make people think that have some rare illegal bootleg material that they shouldn't have, so they pass it along and write a bunch of crap (free publicity) on internet forums.

Every band's material "leaks" before the album is officially out, but you notice 9with the exception of the radiohead demo disk), that these 'leaks' are ALWAYS either incomplete or really shitty x-gen quality, so that it offers a sample of the music (like the clips on amazon.com) but people still have to go out and buy the whole thing.  Plus, it helps stop the spread of 'reall unoffical leaks' because it's harder to spread shit when you have different copies floating around, half of which are fake.

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2006, 01:08:42 PM »

yea, but of course they're going to deny leaking them.? the whole point of a 'leak' is to make people think that have some rare illegal bootleg material that they shouldn't have, so they pass it along and write a bunch of crap (free publicity) on internet forums.

Every band's material "leaks" before the album is officially out, but you notice 9with the exception of the radiohead demo disk), that these 'leaks' are ALWAYS either incomplete or really shitty x-gen quality, so that it offers a sample of the music (like the clips on amazon.com) but people still have to go out and buy the whole thing.? Plus, it helps stop the spread of 'reall unoffical leaks' because it's harder to spread shit when you have different copies floating around, half of which are fake.

I'm well aware of all that.? BUT, considering what actually went down on management side...it wasn't just a denial.? Usually that type of denial is followed by inaction.? They deny they leaked the material and then sit back and watch it spread.? That's not what happened here.? Not by a long shot.? They were pissed (or damn fine actors of being pissed) and there was certainly some action.  Managment tracked down some of the posters/people involved.  They spoke to them.  They...hmmm, how best to say this...they IMPLIED there might be consequences for not cooperating and divulging the information the posters/leakers might have on the subject. 

Again, having gotten the gory details from those involved on "our" side of things, dealing directly with those on "the band" side of things.....it's tough to come away with the impression that management, at least, had anything directly to do with, or any direct knowledge of, the leaks prior to their occurance.? I think the response I read here on the boards (via Mysteron, I think) was that they "knew a leak was possible, but were hoping it didn't happen".? Something like that.? I'd say that's an accurate description, all things considered.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 01:10:57 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2006, 01:12:14 PM »

^^^but pilfrek, you don't really 'know' who leaked the songs....

perhaps the person 'on our side' was someone in management, trying to fool you into thinking that this was a big illegal undercover operation

the whole point of a leak is to try and create this kind of hype.

now, answer this, why did the 3 original leaks (irs, twat, better) become part of the new setlist?  and, why didn't CITR (which was obviously leaked from another source - and this likely an 'unofficial' leak) end up on the setlist???

all of the cards point to this being an offical 'leak'

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2006, 01:17:04 PM »

^^^but pilfrek, you don't really 'know' who leaked the songs....

perhaps the person 'on our side' was someone in management, trying to fool you into thinking that this was a big illegal undercover operation

the whole point of a leak is to try and create this kind of hype.

now, answer this, why did the 3 original leaks (irs, twat, better) become part of the new setlist?? and, why didn't CITR (which was obviously leaked from another source - and this likely an 'unofficial' leak) end up on the setlist???

all of the cards point to this being an offical 'leak'

I don't know who the original source of the tracks was, no.

I do know those that helped disseminate them, and those that got them first and got them on the boards.

No, I know who the people were on "our side".? I met all 3 of them at the NYC gigs.? I've known/been friends with 2 of them for about 4 years now (wow...can't believe it's been that long).? They're not "undercover" people....well, they weren't when this whole thing started, at the very least.  And they aren't now, I don't think.  What went on during the whole "search for the source/more leaks", after management contacted them directly?   Who knows.....

And I posted my theory, above, about why those 3 songs were leaked and ended up on the set list.? They leaked from someone who was auditioning for the spot that Bumblefoot got.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 01:19:20 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2006, 01:49:02 PM »

They leaked from someone who was auditioning for the spot that Bumblefoot got.

I never thought of that. Is that part fact? That sure would make some sense.

nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2006, 01:53:57 PM »

^^no, just speculation

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2006, 02:09:23 PM »

And I posted my theory, above, about why those 3 songs were leaked and ended up on the set list.  They leaked from someone who was auditioning for the spot that Bumblefoot got.
I doubt that anyone would be handed copies of GNR tracks unless they were under contract.
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2006, 02:58:53 PM »

^^no, just speculation

It's still really good speculation though!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: