Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 01:09:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Can we look forward to an "Anthology" box set of material from 1995-1997 later?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can we look forward to an "Anthology" box set of material from 1995-1997 later?  (Read 6854 times)
themovieaddict.com
« on: September 06, 2006, 11:40:36 PM »

Well, according to articles from HTGTH, Slash, Duff, Axl and Matt had begun recording a 13-track album in 1995. This continued until 1997. Duff said in an interview that there weren't going to be ballads and that it would be about thirteen tracks. Of course, this later turned into Chinese Democracy, but considering the fact that the New York Times article claimed there are practically thousands of archived demos and recording sessions tucked away in Axl's vault at the studio or whatever, doesn't that mean there are songs with Duff and Slash recorded from 1995-1997 that we haven't heard?

Granted, they were probably often left uncompleted and whatnot, but that still means the material is out there, as rough and unfinished as it may be. And since Duff seemed optimistic back when he gave an interview in '95 and it seemed that had already recorded a lot of stuff when he gave that interview, it must be somewhere.

And I very much doubt Axl would have destroyed all those recordings after they left...

So, in future years, after Chinese Democracy, and possibly after Guns N' Roses are *really* finished, don't you think it's highly likely Geffen will cash in on the band's status (years from now they will become even more legendary, you know) and release a lot of old, forgotten recordings and demos?

Look at the Beatles Anthology box set...I'm almost positive we'd have something similar to that twenty, maybe thirty years down the line...?
Axl_GNR
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 12:06:26 AM »

They didn't get anything done, as far as I know, during these years.  Matt was fired after the Illusion tour and then Slash and Duff quit in 1996.

themovieaddict.com
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 12:41:28 AM »

They didn't get anything done, as far as I know, during these years.  Matt was fired after the Illusion tour and then Slash and Duff quit in 1996.

Slash left in '96, Duff left in '97.
Stonerose
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 01:10:15 AM »

and i think slash left before matt got fired. A box set like the one described would be well cool.
BluesGNR
The Liberator
Legend

Here Today... Out for Lunch

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 01:49:16 AM »

It'd be awesome to have, don't get me wrong... I'd rather just have CD at this point.  hihi

You'll Find Your Inspiration GN'F'nR

2002: 12.6&8
2006: 5.12&14&15&17 11.5&10&13&24
2011: 11.15 12.10
2012: 2.19&24 11.17
2014: 5.13&28&30
2016: 4.1&8&9 6.23 7.1&3. 8.9&12
thelostrose
Rocker

For Promotional Use Only...

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 03:30:32 AM »

i read a matt-interview here on the site, where he says, that they already recorded 7 about-4-min-tracks and that they are planning on recording 7 more. he didn't say that there were lyrics on them, but still... 7 tracks.

...this melody inside of me still searches for solution...
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 03:40:10 AM »

Something like Nirvana's With The Lights Out would be way fucking cool. But I don't think there is enough material.

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
Origen
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 03:50:51 AM »

I don't think we will ever see the "lost album".
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 04:01:27 AM »

There should really be at least a B-sides and rarities album just for fans down the road. With

Oh My God
Silkworms
Ain't Goin' Down
Just Another Sunday
Shadow of your Love
Heartbreak Hotel
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Cornshucker
Bring it Back Home

etc. and any tracks that are from that period that was mentioned. I mean, I have With The Lights Out. Frankly, it's not all that great (I was disappointed, I already had most of the tracks, in some cases I had better versions - i.e. the alternate take of Oh the Guilt wasn't good, plus I have tracks that were unreleased that they chose not to include) and I'd prefer to see the GNR one.
Origen
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 04:14:29 AM »

There should really be at least a B-sides and rarities album just for fans down the road. With

Oh My God
Silkworms
Ain't Goin' Down
Just Another Sunday
Shadow of your Love
Heartbreak Hotel
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Cornshucker
Bring it Back Home

Some of those tracks were written after 1997 and the others are Appetite/Lies/Illusion demos.

The question was can we look forward to seeing stuff from the forgotten years.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 04:21:50 AM by Origen » Logged
blaqktiger
Guitars Suck
Rocker

The only man to pull off a Red Suit - BfoOt

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 05:09:43 AM »

I'd like to think we'll just hear new music.... Maybe after the band is done it'd be nice to hear something though....

07-06-2006 -- Hammersmith Apollo.
11-06-2006 -- Donington Park.
30-07-2006 -- Wembley Arena.

www.robinfinck.com
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 06:32:31 AM »

matt was the last one to go. he was fired in 97.

I read a Sorum interview from 96/97 and he said that they have about 12 000 hours worth of recordings.
I also read a Duff interview from 96, and he said that the band has 16 songs written, and that they plan to release the album by summer '96.
Izzy also said that he used to write songs in that period, and on one ocasion in 00/01 Axl called him and asked if he could use those songs for Chinese Democracy.

so basically, the question remains. will any of those songs they worked on remain? and what happened with 12 000 of recorded material?
Also Zakk on one ocasion said that he used to jam with duff, and slash, and that some of those recordings are in duff's private wault.

there are lots of goodies we'd want to get our hands on, but the question is,.... will they ever see the daylight, ... or the internet.

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 07:00:48 AM »

I read a Sorum interview from 96/97 and he said that they have about 12 000 hours worth of recordings.
I also read a Duff interview from 96, and he said that the band has 16 songs written, and that they plan to release the album by summer '96.
Izzy also said that he used to write songs in that period, and on one ocasion in 00/01 Axl called him and asked if he could use those songs for Chinese Democracy.

so basically, the question remains. will any of those songs they worked on remain? and what happened with 12 000 of recorded material?
Also Zakk on one ocasion said that he used to jam with duff, and slash, and that some of those recordings are in duff's private wault.

there are lots of goodies we'd want to get our hands on, but the question is,.... will they ever see the daylight, ... or the internet.

It sounds unbelievable. 12 000 hours= 500 days!

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
blaqktiger
Guitars Suck
Rocker

The only man to pull off a Red Suit - BfoOt

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 07:06:23 AM »

I'd like to think after the huge sales CD and later albums will have, that there will ge a great demand for some rare stuff.

I'd love to hear some other studio recordings of Oh My God.

07-06-2006 -- Hammersmith Apollo.
11-06-2006 -- Donington Park.
30-07-2006 -- Wembley Arena.

www.robinfinck.com
Origen
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 07:08:30 AM »

Matt quit before they could fire him, he quit when he walked out on Axl and Paul Tobias.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 07:14:05 AM by Origen » Logged
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2006, 08:16:26 AM »

I thought Gilby said in his interview by Christos that there was no material left ?

Quote from: Gilby Clarke interviewed by Christos
C: In your experience with Guns n Roses , do you believe there is enough un-used material to do a Box Set and if so...what would you suggest be on a Box Set as a member of the group during those years?

G: There's nothing available. (Laughs) There really isn't... Everything that I know about is out already. I mean, Greatest Hits, the live album. The only track I can think of is the one on the pinball machine, But I don't even think we ever finished that. But yeah, there's really nothing for a box set, it's probably just gonna include the new era stuff, but we're done.

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
anythinggoes
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2006, 08:21:40 AM »

I thought Gilby said in his interview by Christos that there was no material left ?

Quote from: Gilby Clarke interviewed by Christos
C: In your experience with Guns n Roses , do you believe there is enough un-used material to do a Box Set and if so...what would you suggest be on a Box Set as a member of the group during those years?

G: There's nothing available. (Laughs) There really isn't... Everything that I know about is out already. I mean, Greatest Hits, the live album. The only track I can think of is the one on the pinball machine, But I don't even think we ever finished that. But yeah, there's really nothing for a box set, it's probably just gonna include the new era stuff, but we're done.

wasnt he just in the band for the tour and TSI he wasnt there for illusion recordings and he wasnt on SFTD which was 1995 so what would he know was available
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2006, 08:23:21 AM »

Gilby is referring to the 92-94 years when he was in the band. Its a tragedy that the lineup then never got to do any original material. They could have definitely gave the music world a swift kick in the ass in 94-95.

jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2006, 08:32:47 AM »

I'd like to see Izzy on CD, or at least his writing.  That kicks ass!

We may see all this material.... after Axl dies.
jaypayton
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2006, 09:10:28 AM »

considering axl wont even release democracy its a pipe dream to see this 95-97 stuff
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: