Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2024, 04:36:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228097 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Japanese Democracy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Japanese Democracy  (Read 7700 times)
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2006, 11:40:22 AM »

and yet we had an entire generation of musicians base their work primarily on civil rights and vietnam

did someone say.... Bob Dylan...

Yes, during the main thrust of the civil rights movement and at a time when young (music buying) people were being drafted to die in a foreign jungle. It's a little harder to build a career on "our president is dumber than a box of particularly dumb rocks" and "the people dying for america in Iraq are part of an all-volunteer military."

And let's not forget, many of those musicians that you refer to ended up becoming industry whores, selling their music and themselves to commercials for taco bell, gap and victoria's secret.

nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2006, 11:46:09 AM »

american democracy = chinese communism  Embarrassed

i think problems go deeper than our 'dumb president'

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
Elrothiel
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2006, 12:09:15 PM »

While I loved Civil War... I don't think that Axl should do an all political album. Although it would be lightyears better than "American Idiot"... it would just be a bad move. In a way he'd be redoing Civil War... which is kinda pointless really.

Regardless... Axl's a musical genius, and whatever he chooses to do in the future will most likely be brilliant. ok yes
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2006, 12:12:36 PM »

Gobowen democracy

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
deanaxlrose
Rocker

Hey, where's my Avatar ?

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2006, 12:25:33 PM »

P**** DEMOCRACY.
That's how I get my minus karma. Grin

My life is so Fuckin' Boring...Until The Chinese Democracy Comes.
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2006, 12:41:18 PM »

but you all keep saying 'a political album would be stupid,' but LOOK AT THE FUCKING TITLE

it's obviously political

russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2006, 01:12:52 PM »

but you all keep saying 'a political album would be stupid,' but LOOK AT THE FUCKING TITLE

it's obviously political

I haven't paid close enough attention to the lyrics of the title track to make heads or tails of what it's about in the first place so I don't know if it's political.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2006, 01:20:40 PM »

obviously?
it's not nesessarily be about flavor-of-the-moment politics, like gator said. You can find a politic anywhere. in any community from the world to your family.

Musicians being political is fine if politics are what they really concern. I just hope their artwork won't get abused for some political football against their wills.

requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2006, 01:25:03 PM »

If he's writing political stuff, and he really feels it, then more power to him. If not, he should stay away from it. As long as they're good songs with emotion behind them, I'm pretty sure that neither I, nor anyone else is going to complain.

I don't really understand all this theorizing about what Axl/GNR should do - they're going to do whatever they think works best
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2006, 02:42:33 PM »

Lets go back to the topic....japanese democracy, nay?

reference #1
    "In fact the whole of Japan is a pure
    invention. There is no such country, there are no such people. One of our
    most charming painters went recently to the Land of the Chrysanthemum in the
    foolish hope of seeing the Japanese. All he saw, all he had the chance of
    painting, were a few lanterns and some fans. He was quite unable to discover
    the inhabitants, as his delightful exhibition at Messrs."-- from oscar wilde "The Decay Of Lying"

reference #2

looks somewhat familiar?

reference #3
In 1946 an American anthropologist Ruth Benedict published a book about the imaginary country with no direct experience but solely with hearsay knowledge?through the literature, through newspaper clippings, through films and recordings. Incidentally the book title is "The Chrysanthemum and the Sword"
does this somehow seem to ring a bell?

If so, what an uncanny coincidence! confused

nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2006, 05:11:21 PM »

pphebe, i don't get it  Huh

Elrothiel
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2006, 07:53:49 PM »

Wait so... Japan isn't real? Japanese people don't exist? Huh

Well that's bloody strange considering I've been there twice to stay with my friend...

hihi
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2006, 09:45:48 PM »

and yet we had an entire generation of musicians base their work primarily on civil rights and vietnam

and, manhattan has rednecks apparently, too.  i mean, someone's gotta pick up the trash, right  hihi

Loves to aurgue AND is disrespectful! Kinda sounds like one of Garry's childish rants.

Are you 18 too nonlinear?

well garry, i don't really care what you think merck's tactics are, you're just an 18 year old kid and have a lot to learn yet about business and the music industry

hihi. Anyways, you sound more like a sterotypical 18 year old to me. Disrespectful and condescending! But I guessing you'll probably just change your aurguement ever so slightly to be right. (Kinda like GARRY!)

Anyways I don't understand why your so damn set on GNR doing politics. Haven't really before, and they shouldn't now. Lol, "look at the title! it must be political!"... didn't Axl himself say it wasn't and that he just liked the sound of it? Anyways, considering the fact that Silkworms, Oh My God, The Blues, Maddy, TWAT, IRS, Better, and Rhaid don't have anything political in them...

Even Chinese Democracy (the song)... would hardly call the lyrics political.

Well.. im sure you'll find a way to convince yourself that Axl should become political. Good luck with that.

gnrevolution.com
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2006, 10:40:46 PM »

Yes, during the main thrust of the civil rights movement and at a time when young (music buying) people were being drafted to die in a foreign jungle. It's a little harder to build a career on "our president is dumber than a box of particularly dumb rocks" and "the people dying for america in Iraq are part of an all-volunteer military."

And let's not forget, many of those musicians that you refer to ended up becoming industry whores, selling their music and themselves to commercials for taco bell, gap and victoria's secret.

So you're comfortable with a president dumber than a box of particularly dumb rocks? And you have no problem that the army of "volunteers" comes primarily from impoverished Americans lured to the military by the army's version of a shell game?

You know, I'm not really sure people have really looked at WHY Axl called the album Chinese Democracy. Was it just a joke about something taking forever? Was it a jab at the U.S.'s own political system, which is in a sense a Chinese Democracy where those had the top have the only true freedom? In any case, the name is already political, so why not have the second album be the mirror of that?
kunzerd
VIP

5/12/06, 5/17/06, 11/10/06, 11/26/11, 2/10/12,

« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2006, 11:01:12 PM »

it's too bad that axl isn't using this album as an opportunity to comment on the bush administration and its war machine

it would actually be kinda appropriate to call it 'american democracy,' which is about as far-fetched as 'chinese democracy'

yeah because green day hasnt ridden that band wagon enough right?

i really hate when stars get political.

12/06/02 - Philly RIOT
5/12/06 - Hammerstein, NY
5/17/06 - Hammerstein, NY
11/10/06 - MSG
11/26/11 - Camden. NJ
2/10/12 - Roseland Ballroom, NY
2/24/12 - HoB, AC, NJ
6/12/13 - Quebec
7/14/16 -
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2006, 11:36:52 PM »

So you're comfortable with a president dumber than a box of particularly dumb rocks? And you have no problem that the army of "volunteers" comes primarily from impoverished Americans lured to the military by the army's version of a shell game?

Yes. I am much more comfortable with the idea of having a dumb president than an intelligent one with the same agenda. I despise the man with a passion, but apparently enough people liked him to vote him into power after his four stolen years and so - frankly - they deserve whatever they get. And to all those who opposed him, well, they might want to try harder next time.

As for the military; I think you give people too little credit. I think that anyone who signs up is fully aware of what they're risking. And whatever their reasons, it's what they chose.

How does this relate to GNR? Well, I'd have no problem with GNR releasing an entire career's worth of politically motivated material - I just don't see why it should be aimed at the current political landscape or the current war anymore than any of the previous ones. Political corruption didn't begin with George Jr, and Iraq 2:  Arabian Boogaloo isn't the first ridiculous waste of lives, limbs and ammunition even in this country's history, let alone all of history. Why waste an album on the current puppet when the last one wasn't much better and the next one will probably be worse?
Mattattack
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2006, 12:44:55 AM »

How about "Axl's Ex's"? That's what Chinese Democracy should be called as it seems a lot of the song lyrics have to do with Axl's old girlfriends. "Axl's Democracy" would also be an appropriate album title.   
Bono
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2006, 04:45:09 AM »

Are you guys really talking about a 2nd album? I see. So that's gonna be released when? 2021? rofl
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2006, 08:34:14 AM »

Are you guys really talking about a 2nd album? I see. So that's gonna be released when? 2021? rofl

Optimistically speaking, yes.
deanaxlrose
Rocker

Hey, where's my Avatar ?

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2006, 11:09:36 AM »

'He's in My Ass' will be the title of the third album.
contains : Silkworms, Asshole song, I fell good,etc...

My life is so Fuckin' Boring...Until The Chinese Democracy Comes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: