Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 01:50:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228114 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  There is (almost) no competition
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: There is (almost) no competition  (Read 17962 times)
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2006, 01:28:01 PM »

They don't really have any competition because there aren't any bands at all making this style of music right now that have any type of backing as far as labels and promotion.  There are a handful of successful hardrock bands, VR and Buckcherry but there music is much more straight ahead rock music while the new GnR is more like UYI era GnR with a few new twists.  You have straight ahead hard rock, metal, and moody alt/indie rock but it seems like most rock bands nowadays make just one type of music, they follow a formula and stick to one general style. 

Unlike these other bands new GnR is doing what the old band did on UYI, and what Zeppelin, Queen, and the Beatles did before in the sense that there's a huge range of different musical styles on the album.  Epics like TWAT and Madagascar, classic rock ballads like The Blues and CITR again with some moden touches, stripped down rockers like CD, IRS a subtly complex rocker, Better is a really unique song that doesn't fall under any category but is catchy in every way.  No two songs we've heard so far really sound that much like the others
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2006, 01:28:41 PM »

so robbie williams isn`t that popular in the US?

i think he`s probably the biggest star in germany right now hihi

he could play where ever he wants and sell out stadiums in a day... and not just in germany, but in the rest of europe as well i guess...( i honestly don`t know. i`m really out of the loop regarding stars/new bands/music of today for the most part hihi)

anyways.....  i guess he`s able to be REALLY, REALLY huge, without being big in the US...
he could do it anywhere in the world except the US.

and i wouldn't mind being a couple of pounds/dollars/euros behind him.

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2006, 01:30:08 PM »

I still maintain that I could care less how much CD sells anyways. If it sells 10 copies and I like it, good enough for me. I'm not a GNR fan to impress anyone else.

If it sells 100 million copies and I hate it, I won't think any better of it because 100 million other people seem to like it.

Same for me.

However, I have a feeling that for Axl, if it doesn't sell really well it will be a huge blow to him and he'll hang 'em up.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Journeyman
VIP

Not like you, unlike me...

« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2006, 01:30:17 PM »

were the contraband demos as good as the CD leaks?

IMO, "Slither" (the final product...I have not heard any demo's by VR so I can't compare) is just as good as "Better," perhaps a little lower in my opinion if only because Axl is much better than Weiland. Slash is much better on "Slither" than the 3 GN'R guitarists are on "Better," though. I'd say that overall Chinese Democracy sounds better than Contraband from what I've heard so far of CHIDEM.

Wow Shocked Slash is amazing and that really goes with out saying but I'm way more impressed by robin/richard new stuff than I am w/ Slash/Dave

absolutely agree.? its not even close.?

yeah...no doubt

2/7/92 -  Alvalade, Portugal
27/5/06 - RIR, Portugal
30/7/06 - Wembley Arena, London
6/10/10 - Meo Arena, Portugal
7/5/16 - AXL/DC Algés, Portugal
2/6/17 - Algés, Portugal
5/6/22 - Algés, Portug
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2006, 01:31:37 PM »

he could play where ever he wants and sell out stadiums in a day... and not just in germany, but in the rest of europe as well i guess...( i honestly don`t know. i`m really out of the loop regarding stars/new bands/music of today for the most part hihi)

anyways.....? i guess he`s able to be REALLY, REALLY huge, without being big in the US...

I guess he's like the hoff, he gets so much attention in germany I guess as a serious singer but here he's just some cheeseball that did knight rider and baywaytch.. Love the shows just he's a tool..

there are demos of slither and a few others, really can't remember right now..
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2006, 01:36:43 PM »

It is time to release Chinese Democracy. The road is open for a massive musical and commercial success.

I think many of you are really going to be let down with album sales.. You really think the world is sitting around waiting for a 44 year old man in braides to turn the rock world upside down... The next big musical revolution happens with young people hungry to make it, people the youth can understand... Not from a guy who wears a new suit every night and lives in a mansion...

When I was a teenager I didn't look at people in their 40's as cool... We're talking mainstream here...

I can assure you that the people buying the GnR Greatest Hits album are not older people.  That album has remained on the charts for very long time, and it's mostly younger people who are buying it.  It's not people in their 30s and 40s who are buying the majority of the copies.  I see kids high school and middle school age walking around wearing GnR t-shirts so I think that you're underestimating GnR's popularity amongst the younger crowd.  There was about a 10 year stretch where it wasn't cool to like GnR but that time has passed.  I don't think CD will sell like AFD or the Illusions albums but with the resounding success of their Greatest Hits album shows that there's still a large market interested in Guns.  Imagine if the Greatest Hits had a better tracklisting  hihi
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2006, 01:46:05 PM »

anyways.....  i guess he`s able to be REALLY, REALLY huge, without being big in the US...

I guess he's like the hoff, he gets so much attention in germany I guess as a serious singer but here he's just some cheeseball that did knight rider and baywaytch.. Love the shows just he's a tool..

there are demos of slither and a few others, really can't remember right now..
naaaahh hihi      you can`t compare him to david hasselhoff dude

that guy`s an idiot and released some crappy singles 15 years ago or so... robbie williams is huge and not just in germany....
i don?t think hasselhoff could sell out stadiums at any point of his "career"...

i thought r.williams was a big name all around the world (well in europe as well as US), but he appatently isn`t though...  i guess he`s definitely big in the UK as that`s where he`s from and well.... he`s pretty big here as i mentioned, but what about the rest of europe?

i don?t like him anyways...

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2006, 02:21:08 PM »

There is no competition.

Nuff said.............

yes Same management company, different genre.

I don't see why Beyonce is brought up, of all musicians.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2006, 02:23:29 PM »

It is time to release Chinese Democracy. The road is open for a massive musical and commercial success.

I think many of you are really going to be let down with album sales.. You really think the world is sitting around waiting for a 44 year old man in braides to turn the rock world upside down... The next big musical revolution happens with young people hungry to make it, people the youth can understand... Not from a guy who wears a new suit every night and lives in a mansion...

When I was a teenager I didn't look at people in their 40's as cool... We're talking mainstream here...

I can assure you that the people buying the GnR Greatest Hits album are not older people.? That album has remained on the charts for very long time, and it's mostly younger people who are buying it.? It's not people in their 30s and 40s who are buying the majority of the copies.? I see kids high school and middle school age walking around wearing GnR t-shirts so I think that you're underestimating GnR's popularity amongst the younger crowd.? There was about a 10 year stretch where it wasn't cool to like GnR but that time has passed.? I don't think CD will sell like AFD or the Illusions albums but with the resounding success of their Greatest Hits album shows that there's still a large market interested in Guns.? Imagine if the Greatest Hits had a better tracklisting? hihi

yeah gnr was something you kept under wraps from 94 to say 99-2000 .. Gnr is now trendy, at leas the name or logo is..
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2006, 02:25:25 PM »

I can assure you that the people buying the GnR Greatest Hits album are not older people.? That album has remained on the charts for very long time, and it's mostly younger people who are buying it.? It's not people in their 30s and 40s who are buying the majority of the copies.? I see kids high school and middle school age walking around wearing GnR t-shirts so I think that you're underestimating GnR's popularity amongst the younger crowd.? There was about a 10 year stretch where it wasn't cool to like GnR but that time has passed.? I don't think CD will sell like AFD or the Illusions albums but with the resounding success of their Greatest Hits album shows that there's still a large market interested in Guns.? Imagine if the Greatest Hits had a better tracklisting? hihi

yeah gnr was something you kept under wraps from 94 to say 99-2000 .. Gnr is now trendy, at leas the name or logo is..

Depends on where you live...It's not trendy where I'm from. I mean its got better since Axl has returned to the limelight so to speak, but its still pretty notorious and frowned-upon
SumbodyElse
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2006, 02:34:52 PM »

All I know is I can't stop watching Better on youtube. I think this albums gonna be huge!
miss bomb
Rocker

nanook

« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2006, 02:48:05 PM »

they need some seriously good promotion, especially in the UK.

7.6.6,11.6.6,29.7.6x2,10.11.6
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2006, 03:53:38 PM »

Depends on where you live...It's not trendy where I'm from. I mean its got better since Axl has returned to the limelight so to speak, but its still pretty notorious and frowned-upon
Well I'm seeing those 80's t shirts everywhere from goonies to ac/dc to gnr .. it's not just coincidence.... I have even seen back to school t shirts with gnr rofl
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2006, 04:56:04 PM »

All I know is I can't stop watching Better on youtube. I think this albums gonna be huge!

Sure thing! the destiny is so manifest that I can even yawn.   Cool

the better clip at download is like a make or mar struggle between GNR + fans and the haters.
And GNR 1.  with the wicked harmony (inside the band) and the hearty performance. If it was not rnr then what it could be?
It's drama. it's a miniature of what's ahead of the band, I reckon.

Welcome to the board, sumbodyElse.  beer
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2006, 05:31:21 PM »

As usual a pointless thread by nesquick.

What's your problem?

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2006, 05:33:27 PM »

What's your problem?

What's your problem trying to post in French?

Stick to the topic.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
busngabb
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2006, 05:34:28 PM »

Guns n' Roses may be better than Beyonce, but lets be realistic, they are no way near Shakira.

Musically or physically.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2006, 05:37:06 PM »

What's your problem?

What's your problem trying to post in French?

Stick to the topic.

/jarmo

yes yes I know I posted in french because he (or she) might be french. Anyway. Back on topic.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 05:53:19 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2006, 05:39:50 PM »

Guns n' Roses may be better than Beyonce, but lets be realistic, they are no way near Shakira.

Musically or physically.

may i keep irony, if i find any?

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
SumbodyElse
« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2006, 08:25:16 PM »

Thanks for the welcome ppbebe! I've actually been coming to this web site for a few years now to get all the latest GnR info. I even had a previous ID but forgot it over time - just visited as a guest. Thought I'd re-register - maybe even add my two cents now and then.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: