Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 02:30:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228114 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  There is (almost) no competition
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: There is (almost) no competition  (Read 18019 times)
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2006, 12:01:08 AM »

I must say that GNR is picking a very good time to release the album. The music scene, to me, is DEAD! Hopefully they can knock a little life into it.

Yeah I agree. Music sucks nowadays, but apparently a lot of folks are buying the junk that's being force-fed to them. The VMA's reminded me of BET instead of MTV. Oops, I forgot that they're the same thing now.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2006, 12:08:20 AM »

were the contraband demos as good as the CD leaks?

There were no Contraband demos before the albums release.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2006, 06:47:23 AM »

I think the record company people are the ones doing the worrying.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2006, 07:24:52 AM »

Funny... This is the SAME thing people said before Velvet Revolver released Contraband...

Yes and Contraband was very successful...the fastest selling debut album ever. Chinese Democracy would be a success if it done as well as Contraband, which I'm sure it will.

duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2006, 07:36:35 AM »

There were no Contraband demos before the albums release.

Set me free sounds like demo  Wink hihi

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2006, 11:10:09 AM »

It is time to release Chinese Democracy. The road is open for a massive musical and commercial success.

I think many of you are really going to be let down with album sales.. You really think the world is sitting around waiting for a 44 year old man in braides to turn the rock world upside down... The next big musical revolution happens with young people hungry to make it, people the youth can understand... Not from a guy who wears a new suit every night and lives in a mansion...

When I was a teenager I didn't look at people in their 40's as cool... We're talking mainstream here...
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2006, 11:12:18 AM »

I must say that GNR is picking a very good time to release the album. The music scene, to me, is DEAD! Hopefully they can knock a little life into it.

Yeah I agree. Music sucks nowadays, but apparently a lot of folks are buying the junk that's being force-fed to them. The VMA's reminded me of BET instead of MTV. Oops, I forgot that they're the same thing now.

every generation has the crappy music, but to many it's not crap.. I had new kids menudo and all those other people like tiffany kylie, debbie gibson etc... many people viewed hair metal as force fed crap too... What one doesn't like another loves.. grunge, r&B pop rap etc..
Jbat81
Rocker

NY FOOTBALL GIANTS

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2006, 11:36:22 AM »

It is time to release Chinese Democracy. The road is open for a massive musical and commercial success.

I think many of you are really going to be let down with album sales.. You really think the world is sitting around waiting for a 44 year old man in braides to turn the rock world upside down... The next big musical revolution happens with young people hungry to make it, people the youth can understand... Not from a guy who wears a new suit every night and lives in a mansion...

When I was a teenager I didn't look at people in their 40's as cool... We're talking mainstream here...

I agree wit u Mike... Alot of people think that Chinese Democracy will debut at number 1 and etc.... I think it'll break the top 10 but that may be it.. Trust me, i want this to be as big or bigger then the "old" GNR but, thats far from the truth...
Jbat

5-14-06 NY
5-15-06 NY
11-08-06 MA
11-17-11 NJ
11-19-11 CT
11-25-11 MA
12-30-11 NV
12-31-11 NV
2-10-12 NY
2-12-12 NY
2-15-12 NY
4-8-16 NV
4-9-16 NV
7-19-16 MA
7-20-16 MA
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2006, 11:42:34 AM »

I agree wit u Mike... Alot of people think that Chinese Democracy will debut at number 1 and etc.... I think it'll break the top 10 but that may be it.. Trust me, i want this to be as big or bigger then the "old" GNR but, thats far from the truth...
Jbat

it can easily debut in number one, I just don't see the 800k to 1 million in the first week or 5-10 million in sales.. When I talk sales I mean the usa because I live here, also the 7 million for the illusions of the 15 million for afd is usa charts..
pollyblue
Rocker

t.w.a.t.

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2006, 11:44:29 AM »

yes i liked them very much. some are even better then the final tracks on the cd.
TrueRock&Roll
VIP

Guns N Roses = Best band of all time

« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2006, 11:46:32 AM »

I think of it like this.... Greatest hits came out at number 3.  This didn't exactly have the same anticipation as Chinese Democracy.  Plus, greatest hits most likely introduced a whole lot of kids to Guns N Roses.  I believe this album will do very well. 
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2006, 11:49:54 AM »

Jbat

it can easily debut in number one, I just don't see the 800k to 1 million in the first week or 5-10 million in sales.. When I talk sales I mean the usa because I live here, also the 7 million for the illusions of the 15 million for afd is usa charts..
So? because you live in America you don't care of the rest of the world when it comes to music? how close minded it is... Roll Eyes
I'm French, I live in France, and I alway speak about worldwide sales, you know, it just seems natural to me. There's a WORLD outside you know, people are like you, they look like you, they also listen to music. No this is not a conspiration therory, they are not martians..
There are human beeings outside America who buy GN'R records aswell! I tell you Shocked?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 11:54:59 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2006, 12:40:51 PM »

Is that why Floyd, The Eagles, The Stones and bands like them still sell millions of albums every year?

I still maintain that I could care less how much CD sells anyways. If it sells 10 copies and I like it, good enough for me. I'm not a GNR fan to impress anyone else.

If it sells 100 million copies and I hate it, I won't think any better of it because 100 million other people seem to like it.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2006, 12:42:39 PM »

but why do I care how many albums are sold elshwere,I go by where I live,, I go by the list here, I go by the platinum list here.. Everytime I hear about gh's sales it always posted in the usa.. I'm sure robbie williams sells millions in the UK but I wouldn't know who he is if he walked donw the street here.. Most true success in album sales and worldwide fame stems from The USA.. Don't get so touchy Wink

sure they sell old albums, not new one rus, everyone buys the classic

also the eagles and stone's following is ten times the gnr following..
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2006, 12:44:04 PM »

but why do I care how many albums are sold elshwere,I go by where I live,, I go by the list here, I go by the platinum list here.. Everytime I hear about gh's sales it always posted in the usa.. I'm sure robbie williams sells millions in the UK but I wouldn't know who he is if he walked donw the street here.. Most true success in album sales and worldwide fame stems from The USA.. Don't get so touchy Wink

sales are important if you keep talking taking over the poor poor rock scene of today
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2006, 12:47:56 PM »

On a side note, it's funny you say that about Robbie Williams. My wife and I were at the Hard Rock in Vegas about a year and a half ago and he was checking in right next to us. NO ONE else in the area had any idea who he was.

I happen to like his voice so I asked to take a picture with him. My wife had never even heard of him and when she saw him on my Live8 DVD she was like "holy shit! Thats THAT guy?!". It was pretty funny.

ON TOPIC THOUGH:

My point is that I listen to music for me. I like the new members of GNR because I like them, not because I have anything to prove. I think Chinese Democracy will sell well because I think it will be a good rock album.

Whatever way the numbers fall won't matter to me because only my opinion of the music will matter to me.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2006, 12:51:19 PM »

Well I nthink it will initially sell because it has the gnr name stamped on it... people hear new gnr album fist one in 15 years of new music should shake some things up...

No doubt a good album is a good album regardless of the sales..

I remember when vr won the grammy and everyone was like that's because today's music sucks, but if new gnr won a grammy it would be because of how talented axl is hihi All of a sudden the grammys will be credible again...

I think sales are important if your label has been that patient and they sunk so much money into the project..
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2006, 01:17:00 PM »

think sales are important if your label has been that patient and they sunk so much money into the project.

great point. the label is looking for a return on their, shall we say, substantial investment.

as for the whole idea of competition---i've honestly never gotten the whole logic- 'oh, well you cant release the album now b/c artist x' is also releasing one.

when multiple artists i like come out with new albums at the same time, i will pick up both albums at some point. i imagine most people do the same. album prices are still grossly inflated, but not enough that  people with a regular income wont pick up multiple new cds.

the real competition comes when jockeying for concert ticket sales, because those involve alot more money and time on the part of the buyer, and guns will have alot of competition for that money this fall.

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2006, 01:20:36 PM »

so robbie williams isn`t that popular in the US?

i think he`s probably the biggest star in germany right now hihi

he could play where ever he wants and sell out stadiums in a day... and not just in germany, but in the rest of europe as well i guess...( i honestly don`t know. i`m really out of the loop regarding stars/new bands/music of today for the most part hihi)

anyways.....  i guess he`s able to be REALLY, REALLY huge, without being big in the US...

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2006, 01:24:02 PM »

DMX last album kicks ass, there is competition, DARKMAN X will bite axl's head off Smiley

i kid i kid !

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: