Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2024, 02:17:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228153 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  A solution to resolve the solos' problem at the shows
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: A solution to resolve the solos' problem at the shows  (Read 7547 times)
babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2006, 09:47:00 AM »

i really liked the solos, where they were played during the sets that I saw and the fact that I now feel I "know" the members and their playing styles better.
As well as Matt's solos - at least we dont have tracy and roberta shrieking on KOHD, plus horns/flutes etc!!!
PrettyTiedUp763
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2006, 10:56:19 AM »

The solos do not bother me at all. I think Robin does an awesome job with it.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2006, 11:00:17 AM »

there is a solo problem?

Sossego was a special performance for RIR3 and they don't have 45minutes in solos and interludes, they are a good way for Axl to catch his breath and interact with the band and crowd, i look forward to the solos when they come my way

Aquila
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2006, 11:07:13 AM »

Beautiful and Don't Cry are good but Robins solos are god awful. They should let Ron play Guitars Suck or Hands or something, Bucket played Big Sur Moon during his solos after all.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2006, 11:11:43 AM »

Beautiful and Don't Cry are good but Robins solos are god awful. They should let Ron play Guitars Suck or Hands or something, Bucket played Big Sur Moon during his solos after all.

I don't think it's about letting them do anything, Axl prolly sat down with them and said...ok you get 4 or 5 minutes, do whatever you want in that time peace

Chief
Legend

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2006, 01:48:22 PM »

i totally agree with you there. just cutting a little bit of the solo time would give the shows a lot better flow!

I think it would be a better idea to play Sossego again for Robin than playing 2 solos in the show wich break the momentum.
Most of people who went to see GNR in their European Tour though there were too many solos/jams/interludes and that they were also too long (including myself). 45 minutes of solos and jams are really boring and not interesting for the crowd. By playing "Sossego", robin would put the audience in his pocket because it's a great song. Same for Dizzy, a piano intro to "the Blues" is enough, no need to make an entire cover song on piano (ziggy stardust) AND a piano intro to "The Blues", it's too long. Same for Bumblefoot, no need to play 2 solos (one shred solo + don't cry on guitar), choose one,  and finally same for Fortus (altough his solo at the paris show was one of the highlight of the show for me anyway), no need to play a solo and "beautifull", here again it's too long.

So what about playing "Sossego" (Robin) (4 minutes), "beautifull" (Richard and Robin) (4 minutes), "piano intro to the blues (Dizzy)" (2 minutes) and....that's it? 10 minutes of jam instead of 45 minutes. Cut also the bossa nova interludes between the songs wich are also a loss of time. Don't wait more than 30 seconds between each songs. Be more efficient. Don't you think it would be enough and less boring? I think the shows would gain in quality. The solos are good when they don't "eat" the show every 10 minutes. 2 or 3 are enough, no need to stop the show every 3 songs for a solo. No need 7 or 8 solos it's pointless. What do you think?

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Mr.Intensity
Banned
Legend

Intensity, Integrity, Intelligence

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2006, 01:52:24 PM »

Yeah,

Ditch the solos, play T.W.A.T, Chinese Democracy, Catcher in the rye, rhiad, irs, madagascar, the blues, and better every show.

8 new songs will help the new band gain an identity

not playing solos
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2006, 02:25:34 PM »

Just play songs! No solos - i'd happily take a 30 min set over a 90 min one in which 60 mins were solo's/oxygen breaks etc

Those solo's are just awful

Some guitarists can play stuff that sounds good Roll Eyes - fire the lot of em' and leave Axl on guitar, i'll take his dead horse intro over any of Bumbfoots static

Quick! To the bandwagon!
jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2006, 03:04:53 PM »

Axl is 44, let the man have a damn breather.  They should play Attitude with Tommy on vox lol. 

I like most of the solo's, Robin is not the best solo person, but he's interesting. 

I kinda miss the Buckethead dance though, and I was not a big BH fan.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2006, 03:24:56 PM »

I kinda miss the Buckethead dance though

I convinced a friend of mine to go see them with me in 02. He enjoyed most of the show, but he just LOST HIS MIND during BH's "solo". I constantly have to defend the new band to people I know because of all the terrible things he's said about BH.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
codenameninja
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2006, 03:32:19 PM »

I kinda miss the Buckethead dance though, and I was not a big BH fan.

The Buckethead stuff (solo dance performance etc) does not fit in with Gn'R and is best saved for Buckethead shows. It wasn't like he wrote special guitar solo's for Gn'R shows either, all he did was perform Buckethead music and sometimes they played parts from the Buckethead video behind him also  peace
chinesedemocracy05
Banned
Rocker

SPRECHMAN!

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2006, 05:06:10 PM »

the solos are great
the jams are great
the interludes are great

i'm going to a fuckin concert i dont wanna listen to 15 songs straight from a CD.
i want an experience.

The solos suck. The interludes suck harder. I love jams if the band would break  a song down and like jam with the whole band and not just one guy it would be great.

I would love to hear 15 songs in a row, that would make a crowd so excited.

And i just want to say this Bumblefoot's "dont cry" is far from being a "beautiful" solo. Its dumb i think, where he adds the little shred parts.

Sossego was good. and Bucket's solos were good. Robin's solos suck (and I love Robin). The best GNR solo ever tho was easily the godfather.

They just thought Id know better. Better.
BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2006, 05:07:17 PM »

I still say let Tommy do one or two of his solo songs to change the pace a bit.

05.15.06 - Hammerstein Ballroom - New York, NY
11.10.06 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
11.20.11 - Mohegan Sun Arena - Wilkes-Barre, PA
02.27.12 - Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2006, 05:19:19 PM »

They really should give Tommy a chance to play a song from Village Gorilla Head. He's been more than loyal to GNR and his album deserves more exposure.

Here today...ready to rock
KillKurtzKids
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2006, 05:22:45 PM »

The solo's are indeed quite boring and would be just as boring with 'Sossego' unless you?re a real hardcore fan. 90% of the people at the shows in arenas are not hardcore fans and they do get rather bored with the endless solos. They should also drop the Christina cover too, I'm sure there is something just as technically fun to duel with that isn't going to bore the crowd so spectacularly. Compared to most of the Guns fans I've encountered online, my musical tastes are quite diverse. However, the audience is not really a Christina Aguilera audience, and as diverse as my CD collection is... I don't own a copy of 'Beautiful' and probably never will.

Robin is without doubt my 'favourite' in the band. He doesn't need the solo spots to prove his 'lead' guitarist role. The crowds love him. Richard seems more of a showman in the solo's and Bumblefoot can do entertainingly stupid things with a guitar. Cut it down to one each at the most.
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2006, 05:27:36 PM »

Hell, the solos give a glimpse into what makes each of these wholly unique guitarists distinct.  No point in hoping for anything other than these spots anyhow, as we all know what it is that they are used for.  As Axl gets a bit longer in the tooth, wouldn't anticipate muuch more than what we've got...The guys give 120% every show out, and to me, that's all that's relevent.  If Axl requires a breather, cheers to him.  The guy sings unlinke any other in the medium we call music.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2006, 05:32:56 PM »

What bugging said.

I think I finally got why they use the mum for the tour logo....it says "enough of ifs and buts. come and experience us!".

BTW, as report has it, axl liked BH to do his stuff. Grin
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2006, 05:34:01 PM »

I think it would be a better idea to play Sossego again for Robin than playing 2 solos in the show wich break the momentum.
Most of people who went to see GNR in their European Tour though there were too many solos/jams/interludes and that they were also too long (including myself). 45 minutes of solos and jams are really boring and not interesting for the crowd. By playing "Sossego", robin would put the audience in his pocket because it's a great song. Same for Dizzy, a piano intro to "the Blues" is enough, no need to make an entire cover song on piano (ziggy stardust) AND a piano intro to "The Blues", it's too long. Same for Bumblefoot, no need to play 2 solos (one shred solo + don't cry on guitar), choose one,  and finally same for Fortus (altough his solo at the paris show was one of the highlight of the show for me anyway), no need to play a solo and "beautifull", here again it's too long.

So what about playing "Sossego" (Robin) (4 minutes), "beautifull" (Richard and Robin) (4 minutes), "piano intro to the blues (Dizzy)" (2 minutes) and....that's it? 10 minutes of jam instead of 45 minutes. Cut also the bossa nova interludes between the songs wich are also a loss of time. Don't wait more than 30 seconds between each songs. Be more efficient. Don't you think it would be enough and less boring? I think the shows would gain in quality. The solos are good when they don't "eat" the show every 10 minutes. 2 or 3 are enough, no need to stop the show every 3 songs for a solo. No need 7 or 8 solos it's pointless. What do you think?

I think Axl knows what hes doing....how many world tours have you been on???

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Mandy.
Bitch Queen
Legend

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2006, 05:39:22 PM »

It would be pointless to play Sossego anywhere outside Brazil. He only did that in Rio because it is a popular Brazilian song, people enjoyed it and all. The crowd would be bored as fuck if that was played during the North American tour or something. I say instead of having 2 Robin solos, let him play Beautiful with Fortus and Ron play Don't Cry (or ?guas de Mar?o, if we're still taking about Brazilian music hihi).
Skinflick
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2006, 05:41:56 PM »

Most of people who went to see GNR in their European Tour though there were too many solos/jams/interludes and that they were also too long (including myself). 45 minutes of solos and jams are really boring and not interesting for the crowd. By playing "Sossego", robin would put the audience in his pocket because it's a great song. Same for Dizzy, a piano intro to "the Blues" is enough, no need to make an entire cover song on piano (ziggy stardust) AND a piano intro to "The Blues", it's too long. Same for Bumblefoot, no need to play 2 solos (one shred solo + don't cry on guitar), choose one,? and finally same for Fortus (altough his solo at the paris show was one of the highlight of the show for me anyway), no need to play a solo and "beautifull", here again it's too long.

I think Axl knows what hes doing....how many world tours have you been on???

Yeah..... ok....Jesus Christ people.....we should be thankful that they are out playing music instead of being concerned with fuckin' solos....who gives a fuck?........obviously.........but you know what I mean.....FUCK....too many people bitch about useless nonsense....be happy you can eat solid food and go from there..... peace

NOW GO HOME AND GET YOUR FUCKIN' SHINEBOX!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: