Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 01, 2024, 08:01:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228140 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Congrats to Slash for having 3 Greatest solos ever according to Brit poll
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Congrats to Slash for having 3 Greatest solos ever according to Brit poll  (Read 10410 times)
bigbri
VIP

"I come in peace."

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2006, 06:46:09 PM »

Funny, I don't see BH or Finck on that list and yet from reading all the gnr forums Finck and BH are both ten times better than the "technically-challenged" Slash.

DO NOT go there on this thread.

Understood?

Hey, I like and support the new band. That's why I'm here. I think Finck and BH are talented. But people try to discredit Slash and say that Finck and Bucket are better. I don't agree with that since it was Slash's guitar parts that I fell in love with, and everyone else here did as well. I'm not bashing them really, just pointing out that most of the world agrees that Slash is a superior player.

You honestly think Buckethead is gonna end up on list like this? This is not comprehensive, it's only popular artists. Plus, it's from Britain. BH doesn't tour Britain, and his CDs are scarce there. Why must you feel like you have to prop up Slash by bringing up Bucket or Finck. Didn't notice any Velvet Revolver or Snakepit songs on that list.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2006, 06:57:33 PM »

I still keep an open mind with the New GNR guitarists cause the truth is,  until CD is released they still will kind of grade as an incomplete to the Critics and music journalist.

The demos though show great promise.

This isnt about new vs old however.

I just think its weird that Slash somehow didnt make Rolling Stones top 100 guitarists but yet in another poll has 3 of the greatest solos of all time. That doesn't really add up.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2006, 06:59:22 PM »

I just think its weird that Slash somehow didnt make Rolling Stones top 100 guitarists but yet in another poll has 3 of the greatest solos of all time. That doesn't really add up.

Rolling Stone fucked up....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2006, 07:05:11 PM »

Well if it wasn't for Slash, none of us would be here lets face it.
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2006, 07:26:25 PM »

Actually if it wasnt for the entire band, we wouldn't be here. It was them as a unit that created that great music that we all love, they all had diffrent imput and help shaped eachothers music into what we now love. Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steven to a lesser extint, made these great songs, not just slash. So I say congrats to Guns N Roses for having the 3 Greatest solos, and Congrats to Slash for playing them so damn well.  smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2006, 07:55:22 PM »

Actually if it wasnt for the entire band, we wouldn't be here. It was them as a unit that created that great music that we all love, they all had diffrent imput and help shaped eachothers music into what we now love. Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steven to a lesser extint, made these great songs, not just slash. So I say congrats to Guns N Roses for having the 3 Greatest solos, and Congrats to Slash for playing them so damn well.? smoking

Well said. Amen!

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2006, 08:18:12 PM »

Funny, I don't see BH or Finck on that list and yet from reading all the gnr forums Finck and BH are both ten times better than the "technically-challenged" Slash.

Way to go slash, hope to see more great top-hated solos in the near future.

Fink is a lame solo'er, good rythem, not for solos, the other 2 new guys, ron and *forgets name* are great though!

buckethead.....please, do i really think people could take a band with a man who wears a kfc bucket on his head seriously.

slash has got the image, and hes got the feeling in his solos, sure, not technically super, but his solos sound great, cause there blues styled ones.

--------------------------------

sort of off topic, why isnt lizzy in the list?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 08:26:05 PM by mrlee » Logged

html sucks
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2006, 08:40:25 PM »

But at the same time, without Axl's "November Rain", there'd be no place for Slash's solo....

On the flip side, does November Rain really ever become "November Rain" without that guitar work? I would bet that if you polled 100 random music fans about the best part of the song, more than half would mention the guitars.

A song which he hated at first, a song which he wrote as a joke and others in the band thought sounded good enough to work on.So you see, it takes more than a guitar solo to get a song noticed.

That is definitely true, but it is alot easier to pick out genius work than it is to be the genius that comes up with it. The fact that we have heard nothing in the almost 20 years since SCOM that resembles or surpasses that intro is a testament to it's brilliance.

The question one needs to ask about that sort of situation is whether it took more talent/skill for Da Vinci to paint the Mona Lisa, or the general public and fellow painters to realize it was any good?
RichardNixon
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2006, 09:05:18 PM »

Rolling Stone fucked up....

/jarmo

And Jack White was #17... hihi
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2006, 09:13:54 PM »

But at the same time, without Axl's "November Rain", there'd be no place for Slash's solo....

On the flip side, does November Rain really ever become "November Rain" without that guitar work? I would bet that if you polled 100 random music fans about the best part of the song, more than half would mention the guitars.

A song which he hated at first, a song which he wrote as a joke and others in the band thought sounded good enough to work on.So you see, it takes more than a guitar solo to get a song noticed.

That is definitely true, but it is alot easier to pick out genius work than it is to be the genius that comes up with it. The fact that we have heard nothing in the almost 20 years since SCOM that resembles or surpasses that intro is a testament to it's brilliance.

The question one needs to ask about that sort of situation is whether it took more talent/skill for Da Vinci to paint the Mona Lisa, or the general public and fellow painters to realize it was any good?

Wow, what a great way to look at it Naupis!  Slash is a fucking Genius!!  He truly gets it on the guitar!
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2006, 09:22:26 PM »

True. But without Slash's solos, there would be no "Estranged".

I guess if u look at a song in its entirety , everybody contributes. But he did come up with the solos. As for SCOM, joke or not, Slash did create that riff. Perhaps without Axl, it might have not made it on SCOM, but surely on some other song.

Fuck 'Em All.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2006, 09:26:08 PM »

Way to go slash, hope to see more great top-hated solos in the near future.

Fink is a lame solo'er, good rythem, not for solos, the other 2 new guys, ron and *forgets name* are great though!

buckethead.....please, do i really think people could take a band with a man who wears a kfc bucket on his head seriously.

You honestly think Buckethead is gonna end up on list like this? This is not comprehensive, it's only popular artists. Plus, it's from Britain. BH doesn't tour Britain, and his CDs are scarce there. Why must you feel like you have to prop up Slash by bringing up Bucket or Finck. Didn't notice any Velvet Revolver or Snakepit songs on that list.

One more Finck/BH reference in this thread and we're headed to Dead Horse.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 11:42:35 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2006, 02:47:38 AM »

Understood?

Hey, I like and support the new band. That's why I'm here. I think Finck and BH are talented. But people try to discredit Slash and say that Finck and Bucket are better. I don't agree with that since it was Slash's guitar parts that I fell in love with, and everyone else here did as well. I'm not bashing them really, just pointing out that most of the world agrees that Slash is a superior player.

There's absolutely no reason to even bring Finck or BH into this thread, it promotes the same old arguments that have been discussed ad nauseum for years.?

If you want to compare/contrast or make blanket statements of who is the "superior player", do so in the Dead Horse section.? Plenty of threads there discussing just that...

I agree I'm sick of all the three way fights.. Everyone knowns who sides with who or who is their fav..
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2006, 03:09:13 AM »

This thread wasnt intended for a new vs old debate.... So lets praise Slash and GNR and really stick it to the dumbfucks at Rolling Stone.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2006, 08:05:49 AM »

Understood?

There's absolutely no reason to even bring Finck or BH into this thread, it promotes the same old arguments that have been discussed ad nauseum for years.?

If you want to compare/contrast or make blanket statements of who is the "superior player", do so in the Dead Horse section.? Plenty of threads there discussing just that...

Damn Straight!

darkmonth
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2006, 08:35:33 AM »

I agree... but also, I hope people who say Axl is the heart and soul and the main guy in old GnR can remember, there'd also be no place for Axl's lyrics in say, Jungle... without Slash writing all the music.

It swings both ways.  People should just take each player and each song for it's own... already people are comparing Slash to the new guys.  Which is pointless in this thread.

Sad

Slash is the coolest tho Cheesy
Mr Bootlegs
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2006, 11:13:44 AM »

Is it just me or can you tell with each poster who the faveourite guitarist is, whether they prefer old or new gnr, and whether or not they think Slash is an asshole, just by looking at what they've written?

Don't say that without the other band members telling Slash what's good and what isn't about what he plays, or persuading him to try a new direction there would be no Sweet Child or Nov rain.

And don't say that without the rest of the guys there wouldn't be those songs either.

These things things are obvious, theres no need to keep saying them.

Nobody ever says, without Izzy Stradlin there would be no Double Talkin Jive or Don't Cry,
and no one ever says without Duff (and West) there would be no It's So easy. And possibly without Steven Adler you have no Brownstone Riff. Not to mention all the other brilliant contributions the original people made to GNR.

It shows how crap of an attention span you have if all you can hear in Appetite, GNR Lies, and the Illusions is fucking Slash's Solos and Axl's singing

If Slash and Axl reformed GNR 2moro with no other of those original guys,would they have the same brilliant sound that we al know and love? NO!
Mr Bootlegs
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2006, 11:15:00 AM »

As you can tell i'm not a fan of the new GNR but that's irrelevant right?

(Delete post as you see fit mods)
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2006, 11:30:04 AM »

Is it just me or can you tell with each poster who the faveourite guitarist is, whether they prefer old or new gnr, and whether or not they think Slash is an asshole, just by looking at what they've written?

Don't say that without the other band members telling Slash what's good and what isn't about what he plays, or persuading him to try a new direction there would be no Sweet Child or Nov rain.

And don't say that without the rest of the guys there wouldn't be those songs either.

These things things are obvious, theres no need to keep saying them.

Nobody ever says, without Izzy Stradlin there would be no Double Talkin Jive or Don't Cry,
and no one ever says without Duff (and West) there would be no It's So easy. And possibly without Steven Adler you have no Brownstone Riff. Not to mention all the other brilliant contributions the original people made to GNR.

It shows how crap of an attention span you have if all you can hear in Appetite, GNR Lies, and the Illusions is fucking Slash's Solos and Axl's singing

If Slash and Axl reformed GNR 2moro with no other of those original guys,would they have the same brilliant sound that we al know and love? NO!

i do take notice of other things, duffs bass playing for example, he does alot of awesome fill ins which make the music so much more fun.

anyway you could say on your arguement, get all gnr back, but without slash and put....*shudders*....buckethead in.

*this is in a alternative universe where slash didnt get in gnr*

sweet child o mine intro becomes

*shredding...lots of shredding*

so i think slash was just as importent

html sucks
Mr Bootlegs
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2006, 11:36:53 AM »

*this is in a alternative universe where slash didnt get in gnr*

sweet child o mine intro becomes

*shredding...lots of shredding*