Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 10:59:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228124 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's new found love affair with clubs
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's new found love affair with clubs  (Read 4130 times)
jaypayton
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: August 22, 2006, 10:23:59 AM »

seems like Axl is playing a lot of clubs this tour and having a blast doing so...Seems kind of ironic considering one of the major problems Axl and Slash had was Axl's refusual to ever play clubs again........It was also one of the reasons Izzy left, because he didnt want to play stadiums every show..................there is a radio interview from april 1995 with slash and this chick kristy knight which was 6 months before slash left and he mentions how Axl will never allow them to play small venues again....Funny how things change
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 10:36:50 AM »

I'm glad he finally got smart and realized that clubs, and smaller stages in general, are a great environment to perform in. But, 10+ years will tend to have an effect on your perspective.
Cooker
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 10:42:52 AM »

Its nice that he has decided to play live period

When Im Gone.............
Origen
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 10:43:43 AM »

Slash wanted to do a Club Tour for TSI but Axl refused.
Mattattack
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 11:37:30 AM »

People tend to change their perspective on things quite a bit over 13 years.
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 11:44:41 AM »

Slash wanted to do a Club Tour for TSI but Axl refused.

They also just finished a World Tour that lasted 2 1/2 years.

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 11:55:32 AM »

so maybe he just didn't want to tour at that time.

has he ever said he doesn't like clubs himself?
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 11:57:26 AM »

seems like Axl is playing a lot of clubs this tour and having a blast doing so...Seems kind of ironic considering one of the major problems Axl and Slash had was Axl's refusual to ever play clubs again........It was also one of the reasons Izzy left, because he didnt want to play stadiums every show..................there is a radio interview from april 1995 with slash and this chick kristy knight which was 6 months before slash left and he mentions how Axl will never allow them to play small venues again....Funny how things change

itwas slash story???
tell me one reason to believe in it

I have never seen so many tree
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 12:08:17 PM »

He doesnt have a choice really, he wont be filling football stadiums anytime soon.
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 12:25:49 PM »

How can the best frontman of all time have trouble filling anything?  There was at least 100,000 people at Rio this year alone, even if this break he took had an effect, he I am sure will rebuild his full status after album has dropped, and I truley don't think he is doing to damn bad on his return with nothing to promote himself or his new band with.

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 12:33:55 PM »

itwas slash story???
Gimme a break. Roll Eyes There are more things besides playing clubs that contradict the differences the band had that led to the breakup. The biggest one being the bands creative differences over what musical direction to take GNR.

The more we hear of CD, the more it sounds like it could have fit on UYI. Not much creative differences after all.

Good post Jay. beer

Alina
Rocker

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 12:41:04 PM »

Maybe he wants to expirience playing in clubs with new band ?

GNR estranged
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 12:53:42 PM »

How can the best frontman of all time have trouble filling anything?? There was at least 100,000 people at Rio this year alone, even if this break he took had an effect, he I am sure will rebuild his full status after album has dropped, and I truley don't think he is doing to damn bad on his return with nothing to promote himself or his new band with.

I went to the Philly show that they didnt show up to in 2002 and before the show they were handing out flyers for buy one get one free tickets. it was something like that, either that or half price tickets. this isnt a nock on axl or the new gnr because i love them. he did have trouble filling an arena in philly though....
PrettyTiedUp763
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 01:18:40 PM »

Its nice that he has decided to play live period

Enough said.  ok
Natasha23
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006, 01:23:59 PM »

I had heard that too about the previous tour, that they had trouble filling the seats.  It's not a slam against Axl.  Most musicians put out a video for their single, hype it up, put out the album and THEN tour.  I can't name another band that tours first with no album on the market to promote. 
Also, I think Axl's beef with Slash wasn't just about a refusal to play clubs and smaller venues.  Axl has said before that Slash didn't want to play large arenas because he didn't have big ideas of superstardom.  I think Axl wanted to take things as far as they could go, and I remember him quoted saying "Slash just didn't want to work that hard."  So maybe Axl's attitude about clubs before was why should he give Slash what he wants, when Slash wouldn't give Axl what he wanted. 
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2006, 01:35:55 PM »

itwas slash story???
Gimme a break. Roll Eyes There are more things besides playing clubs that contradict the differences the band had that led to the breakup. The biggest one being the bands creative differences over what musical direction to take GNR.

The more we hear of CD, the more it sounds like it could have fit on UYI. Not much creative differences after all.

Good post Jay. beer

Since we haven't heard axl himself say he hates playing in small venues in an interview, we never know the reason for the refusal.  Maybe it was just the impression Slash or Izzy was under.
People tend to take what others say wrongly.  intentionally sometimes.

In talking about impressions, the new songs don't really sound like they would fit on UYI except maybe twat, to me.

pebbles
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2006, 01:54:58 PM »

i just want him to do another hammerstein. it was a cool place and got to be very close to stage. I love gnr but would never go to the huge arenas, you can probably hear but? cant get close enough.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2006, 02:15:03 PM »

In talking about impressions, the new songs don't really sound like they would fit on UYI except maybe twat, to me.
Take out So Fine and Breakdown, and put The Blues and Madagascar in their place and it would actually improve the flow of the album and not be out of place whatsoever. Only songs that would be out of place on those albums would be CD and Riyadh.

I agree that without Axl's comments on playing small venues, its hard to jump to that conclusion. He may have said something about in the past though. Not sure.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2006, 03:11:09 PM »

james, I beg to differ. Although UYI itself is sort of like all over the place already, it doesn't have the translucent feels maddy and the blues have in the sounds.

Pebbles, the venue in Las Vegas holds only like 1500 and the one in San Francisco like 2000, even smaller than the hammstar, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah seeing a band in a small and cosy venue is ideal for the fans.  I love it!
The disadvantage is that it tends to be costly and due to this and the little capacity it may alienate general music fans and the future fans, which is not clever. Shows at arenas/stadiums are vital.
This band, being out of this world live, should be seen and heard.
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2006, 03:20:44 PM »

i don`t think the new songs we heard would fit on UYI I or II..  the blues is the most similar song perhaps, but i can`t see it being on those records anyways. and the drum loops/ etc in maddy definitely don`t fit imo.

edit: the new songs aren`t completely out of place either. they sound like gnr`s supposed to be imo. they definitely resemble certain aspects of the "old style" or how ever you`d like to call it, but more and more importantly more new things were added. the metal part in better is a good example i think, or the sound of rhiad.....

it doesn`t really matter anyways. i like it and that?s the most important thing to me at the moment hihi
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 03:25:24 PM by WARose » Logged

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: