Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 12:28:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Isn't it time for the New GNR to quit the side projects?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Isn't it time for the New GNR to quit the side projects?  (Read 10982 times)
sjgotnitro
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2006, 08:51:15 AM »

I think in 2006 them doing side projects is a good thing. If it was any other year I would say maybe something different like they are tired of waiting around but not this time.

IMO it just makes the rumor that the album is being mixed have some truth to it. It is just a indicator to me that everything or enough stuff for the first cd has been recorded and there is no need for everyone to sit idle. I personally believe that before they got the ball rolling this year with touring that they had all the neccassary recording done to put out the album. In my opinion it is just being mixed, it will get mastered in the next month or so we will see it november or early Dec.  Remember they probally have enough material to come up with 100 plus versions of each song. As stated by Richard during the tour in a email they wre listening to mixes. I would assume during the tour they narrowed down the chiices now it is in its final stages.

2006 is the year to make it or break it. GNR seem more commited in 2006 to get it done and rule the world again.

On a side comment I think the west coast small venues is just a warm up type thing like the ny shows in my opinion before the Krock gig. After the krock gig they will play a arena tour in all the major cities.

The train has momentum and it can not be stopped.  peace

Help Needed

Looking For Video
"Hershey PA. June 1991"
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2006, 08:20:40 PM »

I think my point was missed.

Back after the 2002 tour folded and we heard nothing for months, I had no problem with the members doing other things.

But when GNR are FINALLY doing something, and everyone is ready for CD and for a US tour, I dont want to read about the band jumping to side projects as soon as the plane touches down on US soil.

They should be worrying about the US tour and worrying about making GNR seem like a real band and not a bunch of session musicians who chase the next buck as soon as the previous commitment is over.

It does diminish VR to me also that Scott is working on a solo CD and Duff is playing with Alice in Chains.

Its not as bad with VR though considering they came off a year plus world tour and a very successful album. They have down time to do what they want.

GNR havent done any fuckin thing to deserve downtime and havent done anything to warrant working with side projects when they havent even fuckin finished and released the main project.

I Love GNR as much as anyone on here but sometimes the zealots on here drive me crazy.

Whatever happened to a band being a gang, being about the group and the music and united against the world?

Now they go and play and create with everybody and their brother, it just diminishes it to me.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2006, 08:30:36 PM »

I Love GNR as much as anyone on here but sometimes the zealots on here drive me crazy.

Maybe you should spend more time on the Bon Jovi forums then?

Whatever happened to a band being a gang, being about the group and the music and united against the world?

Ask Jon! Tongue

Look, it's time you realize something. These guys, current and former members, aren't the same 20-25 year olds anymore. Didn't you notice? That whole gang united against the world stuff works when you're young. If you saw Mick Jagger tell everybody the Stones is a gang, people would just do this? Roll Eyes .

Who says it's not about the music? Since when do you have an idea what GN'R is actually about? Did you ask them?

I don't know either. But I don't claim the band isn't about the music.

My guess is that it is about the music, that's why we have a band today. That's why they haven't released an album even though people say they should. The fact is, those people aren't making that album or writing that music. GN'R is. And it's not about the music?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
RichardNixon
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2006, 08:47:10 PM »

D- I agree 100 percent.

Axl should keep the band locked up in his cellar, caged when touring, and they need to be chained to the stage while performing. If they misbehave, break out the pepper-spray.
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2006, 09:05:59 PM »

D- I agree 100 percent.

Axl should keep the band locked up in his cellar, caged when touring, and they need to be chained to the stage while performing. If they misbehave, break out the pepper-spray.

That one made me laugh.

Agreed.. why shouldn't GN'R members do what they want during their downtime?

gnrevolution.com
Z
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2006, 09:11:48 PM »

Maintaining their own individual identity through all these years has everything to do with why the core of this version of GNR has lasted this long and has exploded into a band that is one of, of not THE, best bands performing live these days.
Bono
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2006, 09:27:56 PM »

Nope. Not at least untill they have an album out and prove they are more than a touring cover band. I mean seriously Tommy is listed as a member of Soul Asylum now so he's in their band. If anything the situation with Guns N' Roses is a side project untill they're touring to promote the album.
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2006, 09:33:22 PM »

I think my point was missed.

Back after the 2002 tour folded and we heard nothing for months, I had no problem with the members doing other things.

But when GNR are FINALLY doing something, and everyone is ready for CD and for a US tour, I dont want to read about the band jumping to side projects as soon as the plane touches down on US soil.

They should be worrying about the US tour and worrying about making GNR seem like a real band and not a bunch of session musicians who chase the next buck as soon as the previous commitment is over.

It does diminish VR to me also that Scott is working on a solo CD and Duff is playing with Alice in Chains.

Its not as bad with VR though considering they came off a year plus world tour and a very successful album. They have down time to do what they want.

GNR havent done any fuckin thing to deserve downtime and havent done anything to warrant working with side projects when they havent even fuckin finished and released the main project.

Now they go and play and create with everybody and their brother, it just diminishes it to me.

Very good points made D. Smiley

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Mattattack
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2006, 09:44:57 PM »

The band should be together rehearsing new songs to play live. That is worrying that they're not rehearsing before this tour. Looks like we'll be getting the same old setlist, and Chinese Democracy will be delayed till next year. You guys ever think that this whole tour might?be about making more money so Axl can continue to work on CD even longer, and at the same time, keep the band happy by doing a little touring.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 09:58:49 PM by Mattattack » Logged
Sickthings3
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2006, 11:33:39 PM »

So am I the only one who is kinda excited that both Dizzy's and Tommy's last show is 09-09? Maybe after that they will start to rehearse.  How long did they rehearse for the NY shows or the Europe tour? Not for a month!  Their first show is 09-16. So after the 9th, they'll get together, travel where they have to go, rehearse what they need to (and it might be the same ol' set.  so rehearsing might not be all that involved), and they rock the USA like only GNR can.  Fall doesn't start until mid Sept. and goes all the way until about Dec. 21st I think the calendar date is for winter. We have plenty of time for Axl to keep his word about it being out LATE fall! No need to go judging him so soon. Shit, with fans like these, who needs the media to give them shit!

Sickthings
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2006, 11:54:37 PM »

Or maybe they enjoy playing and dont want to have downtime. WHy is that not a possibility? How do you know what they have all discussed with Axl on this past tour in regards to the album etc? You dont. My guess would be everyone is on the same page with whats going on...

Considering the fact that Tommy and Robin have been here since the start. And Brain and Fortus soon after, I think its kinda unfair to say these guys dont deserve downtime.  In fact, if any1 doesnt deserve downtime its Axl.

Im gonan take a wild guess here but imo the reason the album isnt and probably not finished is because of Axl. I think your focus should be on Axl not the band members. They have handed there hw, extra credit and everything else way on time.

They are a gang. They go out do a show, go clubbin hang out..what more do u want them to do? I dont get this whole we are 1 we will go against the world thing. Thats for young and up and coming rebel bands. As bands, people for that matter get older, there attitudes change.

This band has represented a band in almsot every sense thus far other than releasing a record. They have spent countless hours in a studio together. They have toured together. Some of them are in the band because of bandmates recommendations. I mean wtf do you want from a group of 40+yr old men? If I wanna hear a band TALK about being tight, its all about the simple rnr, yadayadayayda...id go read some vr interviews.

Aside from the obivious I couldnt be more happier with this band. I know eventually that all the hard work will come to fruition and pointless topics such as this and all the other garbage that gets started will all go away with the opening notes of a studio track from this band.

If your looking for a problem or gripe, look to Axl not the band.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
madagas
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2006, 08:29:48 AM »

good post youngun.....I'm 40 and me and my old pals still hang and go out. However, we now have wives and jobs and other things to do than go out till 4 in the morning, wake up on each others floor, recuperate the whole day, then go back out again. Sorry, but people grow up and definitely change between the ages of 20 and 40.? Wink Also, for the thousandeth time, the band has finished their work and has left the album in the hands of management and Axl. D and everyone else needs to focus on Axl's responsibilities and not the bands. They have held up their end of the bargain....just like Youngun said.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 08:35:13 AM by madagas » Logged
sandman
Legend

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2006, 08:45:42 AM »

there is a major difference. i think we all realize that the perception is that they are "hired guns" - session musicians being passed off to the public under the gnr name.

so the band going out and playing with other bands (i.e. as session musicians for OTHER bands) only fuels that perception.

it may be unfair, but it's true. but that's what you get for joining "guns n roses". there's a standard that has been set and fair or not, they will be compared to that standard. good luck.

personally, i don't give a damn what they do. but i see D's point and can understand how people would prefer this version of gnr to act like a true band - especially if you are trying to accept them as gnr (as D stated he is).

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2006, 08:49:38 AM »

Remember the band The Drunk Fux?

I guess that's also part of the "standard" when joining GN'R.

The old band had side projects as well. So many of you seem to forget these things.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
TheMole
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2006, 09:06:13 AM »

The old band had side projects as well. So many of you seem to forget these things.
/jarmo

I notice you keep on referring to the old band, as if we think they did nothing wrong? All I can say is this: the moment the old band started having "side projects" is the moment things started to go wrong. They were a band when they started out, they were a band when they released appetite, they were a band when they were touring in support of appetite. They started doing side projects when they were recording the illusions, they started falling apart...

Axl can say 2002 was all about bonding as a group, about gelling, about band feeling, etc... as much as he wants, but when you get home after the tour and all go your seperate ways, or when you as lead singer go out and party all night on your own, you can't take that shit seriously.

Yeah, people change, people grow older, for sure! Thats why new GNR will never have the same edge, temper, short fuse, danger, emotion, ... as the old band. That is why the new band will never be as good as the old. Let them put out some good music, lets all enjoy the album, and then... lets all sit back and think about the old times.
W 23 AXL II
VIP

I like A minor more so than C major

« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2006, 09:18:20 AM »

the members should NOT be playing out. it degrades them, makes them look like they need cash badly. they are in GUNS n FCKIN ROSES, build some suspense in between tour dates. no need to play shitty clubs that my band used to play, just to play out. they should be doing GnR or nothing.

Imagine, its 1973, and jimmy page is playing with his side band, The Rovers, in between Zeppelin tour dates. WOULDN'T HAPPEN!!

Imagine, its 1985, and Mick Mars is playing in California at some club, while they wait for Vince Neil to start their tour. WOULDN"T HAPPEN.

i know musicians like to play out, but come on..this is guns n roses. axl should make them stop!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2006, 09:23:26 AM »

All I can say is this: the moment the old band started having "side projects" is the moment things started to go wrong.

From gnrontour.com

05.10.87 - Hollywood, CA
notes: This is a Drunk Fux show, featuring members of GN'R, West Arkeen & Del James.

01.14.88 - Coconut Teaszer, Hollywood, CA
set: Yesterdays, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Born To Be Wild, Honky Tonk Women
notes: This band is known as the Drunk Fux - Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven, West Arkeen & Del James.

05.14.93 - Hollywood Palladium, Hollywood, CA
set: Dead Flowers, Communication Breakdown, Honky Tonk Women
notes: Another Drunk Fux show, minus Axl this time.

I guess it started to go wrong pretty early then. Well, we all knew that....  hihi

/jarmo

W 23 AXL II
VIP

« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2006, 09:31:19 AM »

JARMO

there is a difference between playing once in awhile like Drunk Fux (a loong while) and playing every chance u can!!!!

Dizzy must be broke, b/c he plays out everywhere, he must start playing before the doors even open b/c he loves music so much. (riiight) he's doing it for the money. im so tired of hearing about Dizzy playing somewhere, who the F cares.

as for Tommy....i dont know....my feelings aren't as strong here, although i think he should stop playing WITH OTHER BANDS!!!!!

it just looks desparate...they are in the BIGGEST and BEST ROCK BAND OF ALL TIME.......
sandman
Legend

« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2006, 09:33:50 AM »

generally speaking, i'm ok with side projects.

but to me, now is not the time. this is a very short, month long hiatus in the middle of a huge world tour. they are weeks away from their U.S. tour (where they have ALOT to prove), and an album release.

and to me, the drunk fux is an example of a band growing together. essentially looking for an excuse for a few members of the band to continue to hang out and have fun together.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
W 23 AXL II
VIP

« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2006, 09:40:57 AM »

honestly, they should be on the internet connecting with some fans, relaxing at home, writing some new music, getting ready for the new tour, creating SOME NEW SOLO's for the tour so its not so boring.....things like that.....

not playing clubs in Ohio for 5 grand.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: