Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 02:34:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Isn't it time for the New GNR to quit the side projects?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Isn't it time for the New GNR to quit the side projects?  (Read 11011 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2006, 08:09:50 PM »

Slash does this all the time. He played on a cover of "In The Summer Time" recently. Duff played with Alice In Chains and don't forget, Matt and Weiland are in another band together called Camp Freddy!

Does this make Velvet Revolver less of a band? Do you call them a "project"?
ummm ... yes actually ... Wasn't "The Project" the original name for V.R.?? hihi

I think the guys playing with other bands during their GNR downtime is fine because they're billed as something like "Soul Asylum featuring Tommy Stinson of Guns n' Roses"

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
mega_music
VIP

Chinese Democracy Is Coming Some Day!!!

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2006, 08:12:03 PM »

I dont understand why you think its wrong for members of this band to go and play with other bands. We as fans should be happy they are out playing, and making music. This gives us all a chance to get more in touch with the members of this band. I guarantee you have a hell of a better chance getting to meet Dizzy when he's playin with Hookers than to meet him at a Guns show.

crying Just get over it!!!! and stop complaining we all should be happy that the wheels are turning because at any moment the wheels could fall off and we are the ones who are left in the dark.

Chinese Democracy is Coming Someday
-Trevor-
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2006, 11:50:48 PM »

It can only help GNR.  Everytime I read about some kick-as/uber-chic album Tommy is playing on, they always mention that he is in GNR.  If one was a music aficionado (which means you are likely to buy albums, download songs, and go to concerts) and they did not know prior to reading an article that Tommy was in GNR, I would imagine it would spark some curiosity regarding this project.  GNR alone are an enigmatic/explosive outfit--but add these super fuckin talented/cool musicians it's brilliant.  When these guy's stay busy, do their interviews for the local press, and get write up's in Billboard or whatever rag, it is only additional marketing for the GNR machine.  It only reinforces that these guy's are tried and true rockers and artists, and that they are unlimited in their love of music. 
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2006, 12:01:22 AM »

And I think its a good way to reach out to non GNR fans, or fans who don' t know GNR is playing again.  Im fine with it, as long as GNR is the #1 priority for these guys.

jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2006, 12:05:23 AM »

It can only help GNR.  Everytime I read about some kick-as/uber-chic album Tommy is playing on, they always mention that he is in GNR.  If one was a music aficionado (which means you are likely to buy albums, download songs, and go to concerts) and they did not know prior to reading an article that Tommy was in GNR, I would imagine it would spark some curiosity regarding this project.  GNR alone are an enigmatic/explosive outfit--but add these super fuckin talented/cool musicians it's brilliant.  When these guy's stay busy, do their interviews for the local press, and get write up's in Billboard or whatever rag, it is only additional marketing for the GNR machine.  It only reinforces that these guy's are tried and true rockers and artists, and that they are unlimited in their love of music. 

I absolutly totally agree 100% with your post. It can only be good. Musicians wnt to play, always beit with the band they are in or group or whathaveyou, its the music they love, and allmusicians usually have very ecletic taste of things they love to listen to and play. They can be commited to thier band, but if they want to delve into other aspects of thier musical taste sometimes its beter to gig with friends. IN the end it means nothing to anyone who is a fan of whatever said band they are in.

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
PrettyTiedUp763
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2006, 12:56:03 AM »

Just because they have things going on the side does not mean that they are no longer committed to GNR.
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2006, 01:51:13 AM »

The more musicians they play with..... the more these guys bring back to the table.

Commit to GNR but have fun elsewhere

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2006, 02:09:07 AM »

it's not a big problem if they do 1-2 shows with other musicians.
axl is in the uk anyway, and the shows are more like jamming with some friends for fun.
they just finished a european tour. i think they'd like some time off from the band because there's not anything to record for cd (i think it's finished). and they don't have to be in the same room to come up with an ideea for a song.

Tomorrows
VIP

Stick to your guns

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2006, 02:13:06 AM »

Im sure GNR are their main priority. And besides, wouldnt the time to quit the side projects be during the writing and recording of CD, not after most of its been done already.
Poof!
Rocker

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2006, 02:56:08 AM »

Why be exclusive to something that you're only under contract to do? I am sure that if Axl said "Ok, guys here's your share in the GN'R corporation, you're now also in control", then yeah, go all out. Commit 100%. But that would also leave Axl vulnerable to a situation similar to the one that is causing all the litigation between him and the former members of GN'R, and that would not be good at all, from a business perspective. But, unless that happens, they are all free agents as long as other commitments do not interfere with their contractual obligations to GN'R.

I am glad that they are spreading their talent in more places than just GN'R. More quality music for me and everyone else to enjoy. Also, don't forget, that's good publicity for GN'R as well. People who are into Soul Asylum may feel that Tommy is so awesome for playing with them, that they go out and check his other stuff out, which would include GN'R.
Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2006, 03:12:32 AM »

Jarmo, in one way I agree, but if the Chinese Democracy thing is not ready (which I think is not) and if Axl told us that we will hear music this year, I really think that they should try release it. I mean, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying they have to play only together and they should not develop as musicians. Hell yes, I, myself, am a mucisian and I love playing no matter where as long as it's cool. BUT, I think it's not the right moment doing it. Anyway, I don't know exactly what's going on in GN'R so this post was nothing but an opinion... peace

"...It don't really matter..."
ZRO
Rocker

Does this look infected?

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2006, 03:50:02 AM »

See, the problem is you've got it backwards. These guys arent going to play with side projects, they're going back with their real bands becuase GNR IS their side project, whether you like it or not.
supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2006, 04:55:16 AM »

See, the problem is you've got it backwards. These guys arent going to play with side projects, they're going back with their real bands becuase GNR IS their side project, whether you like it or not.
you're so right.
tommy is in soul asylym for 10 years.
and richard's back in his band n'sync.
and robin is playing with his band... oh, wait, there's no other band.
dizzy is with hookers n' blow which is a real serious band that doesn't change line-up and releases albums every year

codenameninja
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2006, 06:21:53 AM »

From what we know, the new Gn'R line up consists of Axl and a group hired musicians. These hired musicians need income like anyone else and will be on a payrole of sorts while working on CD and being paid to perform live they will not recieve the mega bucks until CD hits the shelves. So in anwser to your question, no it is not time to quit side projects. While their profile is high with the Gn'R thing going on, they may as well milk it for all its worth and get involved with as many money making opportunities as they choose.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 06:29:24 AM by codenameninja » Logged
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2006, 07:29:49 AM »

The whole band have taken time off after the european tour. Even Axl is still partying in London appartently so if he's not going to be around then I don't think any of the other band members will be either. Rather than sit on their ass during their time off they are going and jammin', and why not? It's time off they can spend it as they wish.

The only way side projects interfere is if you are song writing for two different bands. But Dizzy is in a cover band and Tommy is only touring with Soul Asylum, so there are no problems. Granted, Tommy did release a solo album a few years back but considering the length of time Axl has taken to make the album it would be unfair to block the other guys from releasing stuff as well. Axl doesn't mind wasting the most creative years of his life, but the other members don't want to spend all their time waiting on a GnR album. It would be harsh if the members weren't allowed to write anything.

But now that CD is on its way, the members have been focusing all their songwriting talents on GnR. As far as touring goes, during their time off they can do what they like. If they chose to go fishing instead of touring during their time off, would that also cause you to question their dedication?

TheMole
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2006, 07:43:21 AM »

I guarantee you have a hell of a better chance getting to meet Dizzy when he's playin with Hookers than to meet him at a Guns show.

I'm not really sure I wanna meet him when he's playin' with hookers, but that might just be me...  Wink

All kidding aside though, I do see where D's comming from. I'm not really agreeing, since that's just the way GNR works now. It seems to me that the guys indeed feel te need to jam with their friends after having a hard day working for Axl. So yeah, ofcourse they can jam with their friends (as Jarmo pointed out). It just give people the impression that GNR is something they do for the money, as opposed to something they do for fun.

(I do realise I'm over polarising the issue, they most likely earn some money from their side projects, and they most likely have some fun in GNR as well. But you get the idea)
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2006, 08:05:04 AM »

Dizzy will be in Mass. on 8/31. Same night as the VMA's. Guess GNR won't be on MTV performing that night.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
madagas
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2006, 08:11:53 AM »

Sandman, idiots was a bit much...I apologize. However, Miles Davis was in multiple bands....the Jimi Hendrix Experience was definitely a band..as was Band of Gypsy's. Hendrix received a lot of criticism in 1969/70 because he wanted to add more musicians to his group....Noel Redding left because of it. Hendrix wanted to get away from the stereotypes of the Experience and branch out with Jazz musicians, other rock musicians, soul players...not just straight up rock. And while Dylan is a solo artist, he has used lots of different bands to play with. The Band for example. Also, he has a very tight band he has used since Time Out Of Mind in 1998. His greatest electric albums in the 60's used alot of the same musicians. So, he was more of a "band" at times than you think. Personally, I don't care about marketing. I care about the quality of music. If Axl has to let someone like Tommy do other projects to keep him happy, then that is the way it is going to be. Tommy is top shelf and is a big asset to this new group....the most "marketable" of the new members with his Replacements pedigree. You have to give a little to get a little and Axl knows this. If Axl wants to take 8 years to release a record with a new group, then he has to allow his new group to do other things in the down time. beer
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 08:16:26 AM by madagas » Logged
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2006, 08:16:29 AM »

The only example of side projects delaying the progress of CD I can think of could have been earlier in the year when Fortus went back to the studio after touring with Nena to record some 'bridges' or something.

I think they'd drop everything and concentrate on GNR if Axl said he needed them to

Here today...ready to rock
madagas
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2006, 08:17:12 AM »

I think they'd drop everything and concentrate on GNR if Axl said he needed them to

Exactly Scabbie Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: