Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 12:35:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Brain, amazing drummer
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brain, amazing drummer  (Read 11432 times)
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« on: November 26, 2005, 01:48:24 PM »

What about his drums playing? Probably the best drummer the band ever had (Time will tell, especially ChiDem). I can hear some John Bonham in that guy. For those who saw the new GN'R, what did you think of his drums playing? I heard he sounds GREAT Live, powerfull and groovy.

Brain rocks. Cool
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 09:35:04 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Evolution
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 01:51:12 PM »

I think it's just his humour with the money thing hihi

As for his groove, fuck yeah! I can't wait to hear his contrib. to CD
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 01:59:12 PM »

Let me tell you I was proabably one of the first guy, a couple of years ago, who though he was just interested by money, that he was a mercenary etc... But I think it's a wrong perception of the guy. I changed my mind about him

Now within a 2 year span your perception of him has changed. Why? You came to the conclusion that you beleive he's a good drummer?

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 02:07:55 PM »

my fav drummer in the world, can't wait to hear his contributions to CD!
I don't think he's very similar to Bonham though..

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 02:28:59 PM »

Let me tell you I was proabably one of the first guy, a couple of years ago, who though he was just interested by money, that he was a mercenary etc... But I think it's a wrong perception of the guy. I changed my mind about him

Now within a 2 year span your perception of him has changed. Why? You came to the conclusion that you beleive he's a good drummer?
It hasnt even been a 2 year span, I can remember this past Summer, nesquick was bitching that brain was only in it for the money  Roll Eyes
Evolution
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 02:58:43 PM »

It hasnt even been a 2 year span, I can remember this past Summer, nesquick was bitching that brain was only in it for the money  Roll Eyes

Has to be said, it's hard to tell how Brain said those things. He could have said it point blank, or he could have said it in a funny way. Without any other info avaliable, i guess the Fortus e-mail was all he needed to hear?
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 03:24:58 PM »

It hasnt even been a 2 year span, I can remember this past Summer, nesquick was bitching that brain was only in it for the money? Roll Eyes
this past summer? wrong. at least I don't bitch the old band members like in your (shitty) website. Your website has a very bad reputation. It's the old band members official bashing website and message board. None of the old fans wants to post there. This is a shame. I've heard MANY complains and negative feedbacks from your website/message board, because when people say they like Slash, immediatly they get insulted, even by moderators. It's like "what??? you say you like Slash? go away!". Your website, where nobody wants to come, doesn't even mention the 87-93 erea, there is no historic, no mention of Slash, Duff or anything before 2001.
Let me tell you something: Guns N' Roses didn't start in 2001.?

Anyway, Brain is great.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 04:11:53 PM by nesquick » Logged

WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005, 05:51:51 PM »

this past summer? wrong. at least I don't bitch the old band members like in your (shitty) website. Your website has a very bad reputation. It's the old band members official bashing website and message board. None of the old fans wants to post there. This is a shame. I've heard MANY complains and negative feedbacks from your website/message board, because when people say they like Slash, immediatly they get insulted, even by moderators. It's like "what??? you say you like Slash? go away!". Your website, where nobody wants to come, doesn't even mention the 87-93 erea, there is no historic, no mention of Slash, Duff or anything before 2001.
Let me tell you something: Guns N' Roses didn't start in 2001. 

Anyway, Brain is great.

there`s no need to attack chinese blues. i don`t think that he hates the old members.... i don`t want to take sides with anyone here, but i think you really bitched about brain some months ago... and this thread is about brain and not about thenewguns.com ....

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005, 06:09:30 PM »

It hasnt even been a 2 year span, I can remember this past Summer, nesquick was bitching that brain was only in it for the money? Roll Eyes
Let me tell you something: Guns N' Roses didn't start in 2001.?

Anyway, Brain is great.

nesquick , you always attack oher people.
"you're a terrorist "    " your website is bad "    " your mom doesnt know how to cook"    please chill out, you're so defensive.

i dont like brain btw. his jokes are old. and he has like 2.

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 06:14:22 PM »

warose, it's been a long long time that chineseblues talks trash about me...personal trash...I never reacted, but the guy still continues, well now I consider that's enough. I'm NOT the first guy to have problems with him or more generally with the point of vue of his website (they even talked about seeing Slash dead and spitting him on his face etc...his website is silly). i have heard and read many complains on mygnr or sp1at about his website (or rather message board). many people complaining about how they were treated bad because they were old fans, because they appreciated Slash and the old band. Old fans are not welcome at thenewguns.com. Now look at this thread, I try to be positive, and this looser comes and talks trash about me. Do you know who he is? a 19 years old spotty nu-metal teenager who thinks he knows the band better than old fans like me (I follow the band since 1991). The guy has no respect. No respect for the old band members, and no respect for the old fans.

Wat-ever: PM
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 06:22:51 PM by nesquick » Logged

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2005, 06:32:41 PM »

Enough.

You complain about other people posting negative comments about Slash while you yourself haven't exactly been supportive of Robin Finck (for example).

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2005, 06:49:39 PM »

You forgot a point: I don't verbally attack people when they like Robin Finck.
You're unfortunately not aware of 50% of the story. Anyway, continue this topic without me. Cause I don't want to have trouble or anything like that.

EDIT: I received your PM. Everything is fine now.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 06:52:15 PM by nesquick » Logged

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2005, 07:36:10 PM »

i don't feel he is in it for the money but I'm sure the extra fame with the gnr name is insentive.. Either way gnr has changed so much that as long as they put cd out I don't care why they are there..
conny
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2005, 09:23:38 PM »

- I've heard a lot of people complaining about Brain because he always talks about beeing in GN'R for the money (ironically). Let me tell you I was proabably one of the first guy, a couple of years ago, who though he was just interested by money, that he was a mercenary etc... But I think it's a wrong perception of the guy. I changed my mind about him, I think we are all wrong.

He has yet to convince me that his heart is in this band and music. Until then, his smartass comments are just that: smartass comments. And they don't do the band or the fans any service.

- What about... his drums playing? Probably the best drummer the band ever had (Time will tell, especially ChiDem). I can hear some John Bonham in that guy. For those who saw the new GN'R, what did you think of his drums playing? I heard he sounds GREAT Live, powerfull and groovy.

He might be up there with Simon Phillips technically. But that's about it. I don't know much about drumming, but I have ears to hear and a heart to feel and from my perception I can tell you Bonham was a whole other league, comparing Brain with Bonzo is like comparing Buckethead to Jimi Hendrix. I've heard some of Mantia's work outside of GN'R and I was not impressed, nothing special or exceptional enough to compare him with the greatest drummer ever.

And I think the best drummer the band ever had was Steven Adler.

I'm willing to cut Mantia some slack though, but I could live without his stupid "jokes".
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 10:11:52 PM by conny » Logged
rainX
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2005, 09:50:27 PM »

- I've heard a lot of people complaining about Brain because he always talks about beeing in GN'R for the money (ironically). Let me tell you I was proabably one of the first guy, a couple of years ago, who though he was just interested by money, that he was a mercenary etc... But I think it's a wrong perception of the guy. I changed my mind about him, I think we are all wrong.
- What about... his drums playing? Probably the best drummer the band ever had (Time will tell, especially ChiDem). I can hear some John Bonham in that guy. For those who saw the new GN'R, what did you think of his drums playing? I heard he sounds GREAT Live, powerfull and groovy.

Brain is a cool guy - I saw the current lineup twice and he was enjoyable both times - lacks the power matt had, though. But him, Richard, and tommy form a nice rhythm together.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2005, 10:07:50 PM »

brain seems cool, and he has been there for trhe long haul.. probably dealt with some flack from BH to leave.. Shows he is interested.. Good for him.. have no real personal feelings for the guy but enjoyed seeing him live at msg.. Good for him, hopefully his and all their patience pay off..
badapple81
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2005, 10:42:11 PM »

nesquick.. you are a very confusing guy.. next thing you know jameslofton29 will be 'hopeful' of Chinese Democracy being released and Axl doing a long tour  hihi
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2005, 11:32:00 PM »

nesquick.. you are a very confusing guy.. next thing you know jameslofton29 will be 'hopeful' of Chinese Democracy being released and Axl doing a long tour? hihi
You took the words right out of my mouth! hihi beer

Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2005, 11:47:06 PM »

He has yet to convince me that his heart is in this band and music. Until then, his smartass comments are just that: smartass comments. And they don't do the band or the fans any service.

He might be up there with Simon Phillips technically. But that's about it. I don't know much about drumming, but I have ears to hear and a heart to feel and from my perception I can tell you Bonham was a whole other league, comparing Brain with Bonzo is like comparing Buckethead to Jimi Hendrix. I've heard some of Mantia's work outside of GN'R and I was not impressed, nothing special or exceptional enough to compare him with the greatest drummer ever.

And I think the best drummer the band ever had was Steven Adler.

I'm willing to cut Mantia some slack though, but I could live without his stupid "jokes".

I kinda see what you're saying here, but I don't completely agree.
comparing Buckethead to Hendrix is wrong, but on a technical level, Buckethead is lighyears ahead of what Hendrix ever was. but Hendrix was the one that made that whole way of "virtuoso" playing relevant.
and I would say about the same thing regarding Brain and Bonham.
IMO, as a drummer, Brain is better technically than Bonham was.

you should check out some of the Primus stuff he played on like The Antipop, Laquer Head and maybe Greet The Sacret Cow. you might not like the music, but the it would give you an idea of what he's like as a creative drummer.

now like with Hendrix and Bucket, Bonham and Brain has pretty different styles really.

and btw, Steven Adler is and will probably always be my fav GNR drummer even though Brain is my fav drummer overall.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Deez Nuts
Rocker

Village Gorilla Neck

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2005, 12:06:33 AM »

Jesus Christ, are Saul and I the only GNR fans that actually know what sarcasm is? 

This has been beaten to death.  He is joking about the money thing.  Obviously many people think that they're all in it for that, so rather than try to combat the issue he just goes along with it.  Some people find it funny, others don't and that's fine.  I particularily like it and so does Fortus. 

I think Axl is a smart man and would recognize if someone was in this project just for the money. 

If at recording sessions all of a sudden Brain was playing the drums like this then I think Axl would get the hint:

boom..tap..boom boom..tap..hey let's get this record out asap...boom boom tap..i want 37% of the writing credits on catcher in the rye..tap..boom..tap...how come pittman gets 12.8% credit on Seven..he's not even plugged in..boom..tap..boom boom tap crash!

Fargo  Nov 15, 2002
NY       May 15, 2006
NY       May 17, 2006
Ames   Dec 1,   2006
Mpls     Dec 2,   2006
Sturgis Aug 13, 2010
Fargo Aug 11, 2021
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: