Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 09:23:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  How much does CD need to sell for it to be considered a success?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: How much does CD need to sell for it to be considered a success?  (Read 6487 times)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2006, 03:58:41 PM »

The goal was never to make three albums from this. At one point they were going to make two, CD and 2000 Intentions, but that felt through.

Care to source it?
I've heard that 2000 Intentions was rumourd to be a tentative title for the album before it was named cd.
about the point, as late as this jan we heard that they were working on 2 cds at a time. and later some musician who's in a few pics with axl said axl talked of three albums.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2006, 04:04:58 PM »

3 million US 8 million worldwide would be a nice success.

Ive been saying it for years.

The true measure on the NEW bands success hinges on the 2nd record, not the first.

The first will sell a lot based on the mystique and curiosity alone.

The 2nd will be the true tale of the tape whether or not this band is successful, same for VR.

Look at Audioslave. Their debut did massively well.

U havent heard a whole lot from their 2nd CD though.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2006, 04:12:58 PM »

The goal was never to make three albums from this. At one point they were going to make two, CD and 2000 Intentions, but that felt through.

Care to source it?
I've heard that 2000 Intentions was rumourd to be a tentative title for the album before it was named cd.
about the point, as late as this jan we heard that they were working on 2 cds at a time. and later some musician who's in a few pics with axl said axl talked of three albums.

2000 Intentions and CD are two seperate albums. Obviously by now, though, the name 2000 Intentions would no longer exist. We've heard from many of the band members that they will have a 12-13 track single album, CD.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2006, 04:18:19 PM »

2000 Intentions and CD are two seperate albums. Obviously by now, though, the name 2000 Intentions would no longer exist. We've heard from many of the band members that they will have a 12-13 track single album, CD.

and the source is? I mean can you give me the links, CC?

We've heard about cd and its succeeding album. and I can quote their exact words.

On topic, I think it will turn out to be a massive success in the long run no matter what critics say now.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 04:20:13 PM by ppbebe » Logged
benchiefjr
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2006, 04:53:01 PM »

If Buckethead's parts remained on the album, I think it could hurt the quality of the album and put the sales down.
I think his contribution is poor. His IRS solo has no feeling, this is a great song but his solo is terrible. His "better" bridge are 80's shred metal, it sounds odd and uninspired, no Bluesy element, no feeling, no "touch". He doesn't play on Catcher in the Rye and guess what? the tune sounds good. Ok, his outro on TWAT is good, but it's not enough. Everytime he plays he just put the quality of the songs down.
realize you're judging from 4 songs...1/3 of CD. ok
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2006, 04:27:06 AM »

If Buckethead's parts remained on the album, I think it could hurt the quality of the album and put the sales down.
I think his contribution is poor. His IRS solo has no feeling, this is a great song but his solo is terrible. His "better" bridge are 80's shred metal, it sounds odd and uninspired, no Bluesy element, no feeling, no "touch". He doesn't play on Catcher in the Rye and guess what? the tune sounds good. Ok, his outro on TWAT is good, but it's not enough. Everytime he plays he just put the quality of the songs down.
realize you're judging from 4 songs...1/3 of CD. ok

Realize that nesquick doesn't know how to do anything but say Buckethead doesn't play with feel.  Have you heard the 1999 version of IRS?  Buckethead's solo is a huge improvement over the one that was originally on there.  Most people like Bucket's contributions, including Axl because Buckethead's parts will be on the album  hihi
SkiX
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2006, 09:51:11 PM »

Who cares? Just  give us it already! >.< Its a sucess only if it sounds good Cheesy
Communist China
Banned
VIP

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2006, 09:53:27 PM »

Who cares? Just? give us it already! >.< Its a sucess only if it sounds good Cheesy

...to enough people.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2006, 10:06:09 PM »

No offense to "The New Fiona Apple," but this is a terrible question. ?Let me tell you why!

Assuming Axl and company have gone through $13 million...it's for 3 albums!!!!!
That's about $4.3 million per album which is not staggering by any stretch of the imagination. ?

Don't buy into the shitty "music headlines" which will portray this as a "$13 million album," because it just isn't!!!!!!!!!!!
 Wink

I get sick and tired of all the fucking negativity. ? peace

The goal was never to make three albums from this. At one point they were going to make two, CD and 2000 Intentions, but that felt through. Just because they have enough material for three albums doesn't mean they meant to make three albums. It means they had a lot of so-so stuff that they wasted time and money on.

CommunistChina!  Congratulations!!  You not only got to hear material from Chinese Democracy, you've heard stuff from all 3 albums!!!  That's awesome!  I'm so sad to hear that it's just "so-so stuff."   crying

I sure hope you took some video of the interview you did with the band regarding plans for just making one album, and how they just pulled 2 more albums out of their asses! 

If you're going to be a hater, at least get your story right. 

I stand by my $4.3 million per album figure ($13 million total for three albums).  I'm so sorry reality conflicts with your story CommunistChina.  Don't worry, the press will say the same thing you said.  "$13 million for one album of 13 songs?  Axl?  You really think each song is worth a million dollars???"    ok   

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2006, 05:34:45 AM »

"$13 million for one album of 13 songs?  Axl?  You really think each song is worth a million dollars???"    ok   

To which Axl should say "Yes!"
Because, by that logic, any future album compiled from the CD sessions would be "the album that cost $0 to make!" And, therefore, would be a "commercial success" after selling one copy.  Hell, it would be the most successful album of all time, making infinately more than 100% profit on the back of a single sale.  Best business strategy ever.   
markreed
Rocker

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2006, 10:26:25 AM »

The CD will only be a success if a public-facing Axl (and the rest of the band) make themselves available to blitz th emedia. With luck, we'll be falling over tell-all interviews. The bands current 'radio silence' approach doesn't do them much good in maintaining visibility - it allows bystanders to speculate and those who know say nothing.

"the optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds ; the pessimist fears this is true"
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2006, 11:40:16 AM »

"$13 million for one album of 13 songs?? Axl?? You really think each song is worth a million dollars???"? ? ok? ?

Because, by that logic, any future album compiled from the CD sessions would be "the album that cost $0 to make!" And, therefore, would be a "commercial success" after selling one copy.? Hell, it would be the most successful album of all time, making infinately more than 100% profit on the back of a single sale.? Best business strategy ever.? ?

Hey 25, great post!   beer  "the album that cost $0 to make!"  I love it!   rofl

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2006, 12:03:23 PM »

the tone of the media/critics changes about depending on the sway of things. Premature exposure is not advisable as it would lessen the freshness and amazement. better not make people satiated with cd before it arrives. 

"$13 million for one album of 13 songs?  Axl?  You really think each song is worth a million dollars???"    ok   

Because, by that logic, any future album compiled from the CD sessions would be "the album that cost $0 to make!" And, therefore, would be a "commercial success" after selling one copy.  Hell, it would be the most successful album of all time, making infinately more than 100% profit on the back of a single sale.  Best business strategy ever.   
Amen.

The succeeding albums should be referred to as "the cheapest albums ever made", I'm not sure if this phrase rings better than "the most expensive album never made" but anyway, just the same each song in those would be worth a million, or priceless.
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2006, 12:28:28 AM »

do we know for sure 13 million went to the album, or 13 million went to axl being in the studio which might be more then 13 songs.  i know the ny times article said album, but the hell with them.  I think its success by the major media will be compared how well the uyi and afd albums sold

Communist China
Banned
VIP

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2006, 01:50:55 AM »

do we know for sure 13 million went to the album, or 13 million went to axl being in the studio which might be more then 13 songs.? i know the ny times article said album, but the hell with them.? I think its success by the major media will be compared how well the uyi and afd albums sold

Well then it will fail. It will never outsell AFD, probably will not outsell UYI either.

Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2006, 02:05:10 AM »

250,000 first week

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2006, 04:24:13 AM »

Outsell Contraband.

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2006, 10:22:31 AM »

I think it could sell over 10 million copies (worldwide of course) within 1.5/2 years. Don't forget the GH has sold over 7 million copies worldwide, with few promotion.  Still in the Charts!
The name "Guns N' Roses" (old band or new band) is still a mass appeal for people. Plus, the new songs are overall quality. Of course it's not as great as the best of the 87-93 erea, but it's still quite good.?There is a mass appeal in the new songs, "The Blues" could easily be a massive Hit, maybe even a #1 single. So if Merck did a good job with promotion, Chinese Democracy could sell a lot.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 10:27:00 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
deanaxlrose
Rocker

Hey, where's my Avatar ?

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2006, 11:37:45 AM »

now i can see the future. kids from all over the world sing the intro of better over and over again.

no one ever told me when i was alone
They just thought i'd know better,better

My life is so Fuckin' Boring...Until The Chinese Democracy Comes.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2006, 12:01:23 PM »

ehrr no, the intro of "better" doesn't sound good to me... I hope they will change it. It sounded really odd Live.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: