Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 03:34:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  axl's musical change
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: axl's musical change  (Read 3182 times)
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« on: August 03, 2006, 08:47:18 AM »

remmeber when axl wanted to take GNR in new or diffr5ent directions back with slash and co....

IMO the 01/02 tour showed the direction change more than it did on this past tour

has axl changed the style he wants again, or will CD b a mix?

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
makane
Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 08:50:55 AM »

Im not following you. How did exactly 01/02 shows differ from recent shows? I tought the new songs were played pretty much the same. Except a few minor adjustments...

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
LaTeRaLuS
Rocker

Some say the end is near......

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 08:51:17 AM »

by the looks of it, 1994 - 1999 axl was going in an industrial direction, i think now its changed more towards nu metal(ish)/blues rock, just a guess
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 08:53:06 AM »

Im not following you. How did exactly 01/02 shows differ from recent shows? I tought the new songs were played pretty much the same. Except a few minor adjustments...

with more of the techno sound, playing oh my god silkworms, also BH presence was abit more techno

(i think this should have been dead horse)

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 03:06:54 PM »

by the looks of it, 1994 - 1999 axl was going in an industrial direction, i think now its changed more towards nu metal(ish)/blues rock, just a guess

Of course, that re-aligns him musically with the old band... if he stays in that groove maybe we could see a reunion in a year or two... especially if CD is no where to be found by then.

GNRevolution... the missing link.
Mattattack
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 03:27:56 PM »

I think the old band had an Aerosmith/Stones style of music, and the new band has more of a Zeppelin style of music. The new band reminds me of mid period Zeppelin, ie Houses of The Holy and Physical Graffiti. New GnR's music isn't blues based like old GnR's, and it has that epic grandeur of Zeppelin. Rhiad reminds me of the Immigrant Song, and Madagascar definitely has a Kashmir vibe to it. I think musically Zeppelin is the greatest band of all time, so i'm really excited in the direction that Axl has taken this band. Zeppelin were a fearless band when it came to trying different styles of music, and that's the type of band Axl wants GnR to be.?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 03:30:06 PM by Mattattack » Logged
Mom
Headliner

Well ya know something Gene...

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 03:56:54 PM »

GNR def. has that epic Zeppelin vibe going now. I like it even though I think Zeppelin's overrated (not that I don't like them though).

11/10/06!
Led Roses 06
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

I think the old band had an Aerosmith/Stones style of music, and the new band has more of a Zeppelin style of music. The new band reminds me of mid period Zeppelin, ie Houses of The Holy and Physical Graffiti. New GnR's music isn't blues based like old GnR's, and it has that epic grandeur of Zeppelin. Rhiad reminds me of the Immigrant Song, and Madagascar definitely has a Kashmir vibe to it. I think musically Zeppelin is the greatest band of all time, so i'm really excited in the direction that Axl has taken this band. Zeppelin were a fearless band when it came to trying different styles of music, and that's the type of band Axl wants GnR to be. 

I honestly agree 110%. Look at Zeppelin's first 4 cds the music was far more, for lack of a better term, "mystical". I mean we do know that Jimmy Page always had the black magic interest. Then Houses of the Holy comes out and the songs are more uptempo while Plant's lyrics are still shrowded in mystery. Axl is almost doing the same thing going from the more blues based work of the original band to something more upbeat like "Better" whose tempo kind of reminds me of Houses of the Holy and D'yer Mak'er. I do really hope that axl stays away from songs like Rhiad and Silkworms though. I do like the changes made to the Blues and only hope he sings the beginning with more rasp like he did at Hammerstein.  And The Blues has more of a Queen vibe to it.
I think Axl decided to pretty much scrap the whole industrial idea and go with something huge, like Queen  and Zeppelin. With the success that bands like Audioslave, Distrubed, Godsmack, System of a Down, and Tool have achieved in the last year, in both ticket and record sales, goes to show that people are craving great rock music. If there was ever a time for Axl to put out a badass rock record it's now.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 04:30:55 PM »

I think Axl realized he went "too far" with the industrial thing and that the fans didn't like it. He also probably realized it would have lead GN'R to the wall. Remember 2002, remember all the BH shredd and the weirdo guy he was, remember goth Finck,? all those things were just wrong.
Today, many things have improved:

- This is a Rock band now. It wasn't in 2002.
- the band doesn't look like an horror film anymore (and it is important, don't be fool). They look good. They all seem to form a coherent band.
- The Buckethead's departure was an immense liberation for this band. It's like day and night. They really Rock now.
- Axl sings better. He is also more serious.
- The musical direction has been corrected: less industrial things, less shredd, more classic Rock n' Roll stuff than in 2002. It probably comes from Richard (who has a bigger role in the band than in 02 - and we all know he is the Bluesiest guitarist of this band), from Izzy and from some covers like "You gotta move of the Rolling Stones. The shows are more "Classic Rock"than in 2002. I mean, watching Buckethead doing his break dance on some rap/techno song with a? Nunchaku was absolutely painfull and dramatic. Now this nightmare is over. THANKS a million times for that.
- the Management also acts better: Better communication, when something is wrong we get explanations etc...

Things have improved a lot. Obviously it could be even better (less jams/solos/interludes, more songs instead) but maybe it will be for next time. Step by step. This first step was a success. What the band did in this Euro Tour is already very good. remember the December 6th 2002, We were very far from that. Today it's just better compared to 2002. Like day and night.

To all the band, Axl, and the Management: Thank you.  peace
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 04:41:40 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Gargh!
Rocker

Danny Cockroach

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 07:42:41 PM »

With the success that bands like Audioslave, Distrubed, Godsmack, System of a Down, and Tool have achieved in the last year, in both ticket and record sales, goes to show that people are craving great rock music.
Yes, but none of those are great rock bands.

Welcome to the ZooFarm: www.myspace.com/dannycockrach

Please check us out and leave us some feedback.  If you live near us, it'd be great to see you at a show or something.  Rock on!
Sickthings3
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 08:51:26 AM »

I also think that back in 1999 with the phone interview with Kurt Loder(sp?) on MTV Axl said that he did have a drastic change and now he has to go back and sort of bring the fans up to speed where he is. A lot could have change, yes, but this also could be our first steps to the later songs such as Silkworms, Rhiad and so on.
rubinone
Opening Act

Urban Jungle

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 10:25:56 AM »

One thing is sure: Axl is definitely in the right direction again and it seems like he has rediscovered rock n roll again which is basically what it's all about.

It's only rock n roll!
sucker punch
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 11:20:23 AM »

what do you think made axl change and go away from songs like silkworms? and what made him do it? ther has to be a reason
codenameninja
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 01:16:09 PM »

what do you think made axl change and go away from songs like silkworms? and what made him do it? ther has to be a reason

I'm sure Axl n'Co. get to hear about feed back from the fans of the various Gn'R forums. Silkworms recieved a ton of negative press back in 2001 and The Blues along with Madagascar came out on top.
codenameninja
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 01:28:22 PM »

remmeber when axl wanted to take GNR in new or diffr5ent directions back with slash and co....

IMO the 01/02 tour showed the direction change more than it did on this past tour

has axl changed the style he wants again, or will CD b a mix?

..without going down the road of comparing the great old Gn'R with the new Gn'R (as Jarmo wouldn't like that) Slash is very Rock n'Roll, Duff is punk and Axl wanted to head in the direction of industrial. 'Oh My God' is what *i think* Axl wanted the future of Gn'R to sound like. From what i recall Oh My God recieved a fair amount of attention for all the wrong reasons (ie: for being the first new track from Gn'R in years). I don't think the track OMG had a positive impact on many, and nothing more was heard of from Gn'R until some years later when Gn'R played at the House of Blues in Vegas. Some new tracks were played at the Vegas show and they were a mixed bag of tracks. The track Chinese Democracy sounded to me like Axl/Gn'R going back to basic's (back tracking) as the song was quite simple and on par with It's so Easy (well that was my take on it), with The Blues and Madagascar being remenisant of the UYI epic tracks. Maybe Axl is happy with Better and IRS, maybe that was the sound he was looking for all along, not too rock n'roll and not too industrial, some place in between.
 peace
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 01:44:19 PM by codenameninja » Logged
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 01:39:51 PM »

actually i don't feel that Axls writing style has changed a whole lot from his past work...

busngabb
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 01:42:33 PM »

Who the feck knows? We've not heard anything they've written recently.

They could be into Jamaican Waltz cuts for all we know.
codenameninja
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 01:46:09 PM »

Who the feck knows? We've not heard anything they've written recently.

They could be into Jamaican Waltz cuts for all we know.
don't say that  hihi

I'm wondering why Axl never released a rap album, he has touched on rapping in the past during live shows.

COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 05:48:11 PM »

Tough to call.  I think ( or hope) that there will be some Epic - Piano-Driven - Big guitar Powerful tunes on the album that does not sound like anything.
I agree about the Led Zep comparisons, because Maddy sounds like it could've come right off of Graffitti to me.  Soon it will all be answered........right?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: