Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 07:29:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228554 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Pearl Jam
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 56 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pearl Jam  (Read 275584 times)
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #500 on: April 30, 2006, 10:45:35 PM »

I was kinda excited for this album...but world wide suicide sucks hard IMO....I'm gonna give the album a listen though...give it a fair shot

Markus Asraelius
« Reply #501 on: May 01, 2006, 12:28:37 PM »

Pearl Jam, in my opinion, has never put out a bad album. Ten, in 1991, took the world by storm. Vs., in 1993, was even better, according to some critics.

In 1994 we saw Vitalogy and it was sort of a disappointment although it did sell well.

1n 1996, we saw clearly that they were changing. No Code was a good album but there was nothing great on the album.

In 1998, Yield was their last great effort up until now. Yield is still one of my favorite Pearl Jam CD's. They had hits off of this one such as Faithfull, No Way and Do The Evolution.

But, in 2000, Binaural brought them back down. It was a poor effort. Maybe even the worst album.

In 2002, it was Riot Act which was stronger than their previous one but it dind't put them back on the radio.

So, then Pearl Jam released RearviewMirror (their greatest hits) and Lost Dogs (which was their b-sides-type stuff).

Then, their is this album which they spent more time on and it's also their first album off of J Records. So, I'm thinking there may also be more incentive. Now, I haven't heard Riot Act or this new album but this is how I think all their albums from 1991-2002 rank:

1. Vs.
2. Ten.
3. Yield.
4. No Code.
5. Vitalogy.
6. Binaural
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #502 on: May 01, 2006, 01:18:32 PM »

You really should check out Riot Act. I know not alot of people here rate it highly but there are some great songs here that I would rank with their best: "Love Boat Captain", "I Am Mine", "Thumbing My Way", "Green Disease", "All Or None". These songs mix in perfectly in concert as well. Check out the MSG DVD as an example.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #503 on: May 01, 2006, 01:27:05 PM »

You really should check out Riot Act. I know not alot of people here rate it highly but there are some great songs here that I would rank with their best: "Love Boat Captain", "I Am Mine", "Thumbing My Way", "Green Disease", "All Or None". These songs mix in perfectly in concert as well. Check out the MSG DVD as an example.

Okay, I will. I only have enough money right now to buy Tool and Pearl Jam but maybe next paycheck, I'll look at getting Riot Act.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #504 on: May 02, 2006, 09:46:03 AM »

This is in today's NY Daily News:

*Pearl Jam will perform a live Web-cast from the Ed Sullivan Theater Thursday, following their visit to "Late Show With David Letterman."? The Web-cast will start at approximately 5:55 p.m.

since it didn't give a link to the webpage or anything like that, I went to a PJ site and it had a link to the CBS site:

**POST LATE SHOW WEBCAST05.01.06
After their Late Show taping on Thursday, May 4th, Pearl Jam will perform a short set at the historic Ed Sullivan Theatre in New York. Make sure you check out the details here

***LIVE ON LETTERMAN:? PEARL JAM
THURSDAY, MAY 4? Start time: 5:55PM ET/2:55PM PT (approximately)

Exclusive Concert to be Webcast Live from the Ed Sullivan Theater

Get a front-row seat to an exclusive, live-on-the-web concert event featuring Pearl Jam.

It all begins with Pearl Jam taping their performance on LATE SHOW for broadcast later that evening. Then, immediately following the show taping, Pearl Jam will take the stage again to perform a special concert featuring some of the group's favorite hits as well as never-before-heard cuts from their new CD, "Pearl Jam" (pre-order the CD at www.pearljam.com/goods).

To watch the concert live:
Log on to www.cbs.com/lateshow
Date: Thursday, May 4
Time: 5:55PM ET/2:55PM PT (approximately)

Then be sure to tune into the LATE SHOW at 11:30PM ET/PT to catch their regularly scheduled appearance with Dave (along with Julia Roberts).

Sources:
*? ? ? nydailynews.com
**? ? http://www.tenclub.net/news/index.php?what=News#109
***? http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/live_on_letterman/

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Kujo
Legend

« Reply #505 on: May 02, 2006, 11:20:39 AM »

Just started listening to the new CD:

Life Wasted starts off the Cd with a high energy track.
Worldwide Suicide: We already know this song. Damn it feels like 1993 all of a sudden
Comatose: And the aggression continues. McCready is smoking on this track. So far this CD definitely sounds like something the Who would have put out early in their career
Severed Hand: I didnt care for the start of this song but it soon picks up its groove. Really like Eddies voice on this one
Marker In The Sand: Not a bad song, just doesnt compare with the first four. Just doesn't grab my attention on the first listen.
Parachutes: The first slow song so far. If it wasn't for Eddies distinct voice I wouldnt guess this was a Pearl Jam song. The first pleasant surprise for me.
Unemployable: Another very good song, a bit "pop" but hey it works
Big Wave: Back to the punk rock. Definitely get a surfer vibe from this back to Eddies days in san diego
Gone: And back to the slow songs. Starts off similar to the tempo of Footsteps or Thumbing My Way but than picks up a bit like Daughter
Wasted Reprise: WAY TOO SHORT! The soft/short version of "Life Wasted" This song immediately grabbed my attention and than ends after only 53 seconds, there must be more crying. Could have been the closer
Army Reserve: Interesting that since the first 3 songs they have alternated between slow and up-tempo songs. This one is kind of inbetween the two, but features some more excellent guitar work from McCready which fades out to end the song.
Come Back: Trend continues. A slow song, sounds like it could have been a hit in the late 50's early 60's. Think along the lines of Last Kiss
Inside Job: I kept expecting this song to really start rocking out to close the CD and it just doesnt happen. There is some good guitar work but it just feels like it is very restrained. This is a good song but will probably be better live.

Overall I have to say that I really enjoyed this after the first listen. I havent been able to focus on the lyrics yet so that could improve some songs for me. I initially thought this was a throwback album that would please all the people that didnt like Riot Act or Binaural. However once you get deep into the CD there are quite a few songs that could have fit very easily into those two releases. I'll be interested to hear the reviews.

It's definitely not their best, they caught lightning in a bottle with 10, but I think this is a very strong effort throughout.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 03:18:18 PM by kujo » Logged

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #506 on: May 02, 2006, 11:29:44 AM »

Pearl Jam's influences are Led Zepplin and The Who so that would make sense.
Kujo
Legend

« Reply #507 on: May 02, 2006, 11:31:56 AM »

True, Eddie does alot of covers of the Who and Bruce Springsteen when he does his solo shows. I'd love to hear them play some Zepplin.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #508 on: May 02, 2006, 11:33:29 AM »

So Kujo, what do you think of the new Pearl Jam album so far?
Kujo
Legend

« Reply #509 on: May 02, 2006, 11:37:38 AM »

I really like it so far, just listening to the 5th song now(Parachutes). I liked alot of the recent CD's that others didn't though. So far I think this will make the people that wanted a return to the first 3 albums very happy.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Kujo
Legend

« Reply #510 on: May 02, 2006, 03:55:39 PM »

A review from the Fort Lauderdale Sun Sentinel:

It's a lot to ask of any band to be the center of attention for more than one album. Pearl Jam managed it for three -- its first three -- and might have kept on making the kind of melodic hard rock that radio loves to play and bar bands love to cover. But, ever conscious of its ties to Seattle's punk scene, Pearl Jam spent the next four albums apologizing for the initial success.

That meant sounding more punk, which in Pearl Jam's understanding of punk meant resisting its own talent for fun, FM-ready hooks. Some songs that came after the third album, 1993's Vitalogy, did strike a smart rock-punk balance (Hail, Hail) or they just dropped the punk pretense altogether and had a classic-rock blast (Love Boat Captain). But the four albums that followed Vitalogy sound rueful.

Pearl Jam (J Records) finds the band still apologizing and still turning out memorable songs in spite of itself, but not enough of them to add up to a satisfying whole. Pearl Jam has become an album-rock band that makes consistently erratic albums. This one, the group's eighth, opens strong. Life Wasted rocks like a more desperate and urgent version of The MC5's Kick Out the Jams. World Wide Suicide, an anti-war shriek, finishes the one-two punch.

After that Pearl Jam heads into a haze: A few of the remaining 11 tracks, and passages within some tracks, stand out. But front man Eddie Vedder's generalized bleating makes Comatose hard to tell from Severed Hand or Marker in the Sand. Now and then the pained, self-absorbed quality of Vedder's singing disconnects him entirely from his four bandmates. The push-and-pull between the guitarists, the rhythm section's jumps in and out of 4/4 time -- these textures are often interesting in their own right, and sometimes incidental to what the singer is doing.

The entire band lines up convincingly on the shimmering chords and melodies of Unemployable and Gone. The stops and starts on Big Wave recall Pearl Jam's brisk cover of the Holland-Dozier-Holland classic Leaving Here, until Vedder steps back and turns the band loose for a prog-rock instrumental run to the finish. How Big Wave's first part relates to the second is hard to tell, but the energy at both ends never flags.

Come Back may be this album's most ambitious song: Pearl Jam aims for a classic country-soul weeper -- think Dusty Springfield or Solomon Burke -- and almost pulls it off. Only Vedder's grim lyric and grimmer delivery keeps a potentially good tune down. As if exhausted by the effort to stretch, the band finishes with a fallback: Inside Job sounds like an early Pearl Jam hit, the power ballad Black, but in reverse. The long instrumental section is a throat-clearing intro, not the outro as it was on Black, as if Pearl Jam were rewinding to its glory days.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/lifestyle/sfl-mu02pearljammay02,0,2690883.story?coll=sfla-features-headlines

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #511 on: May 02, 2006, 04:05:03 PM »

Metacritic has a page on Pearl Jam's new albums where they have assembled all of the reviews in one and so far it looks good for Pearl Jam.

Here's the link:

http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/pearljam/pearljam
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #512 on: May 02, 2006, 05:51:16 PM »

I started to go pick this up today but with Stadium Arcadium coming out next week, I dont think Ill have time to fully get into this album, so I may wait till later this summer to pick it up.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #513 on: May 02, 2006, 06:11:16 PM »

It's horrible.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #514 on: May 02, 2006, 06:14:46 PM »

It's horrible.

Is that the biggest sentence you've said your whole life? Wow!
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #515 on: May 02, 2006, 07:09:56 PM »

It's horrible.

About this album and being the truth? Probably yes!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 07:11:56 PM by Drew » Logged

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #516 on: May 02, 2006, 09:55:12 PM »

I was kinda excited for this album...but world wide suicide sucks hard IMO....I'm gonna give the album a listen though...give it a fair shot

well i heard the album....it's actually quite good....I may even pick it up....I'm gonna give it another go first beer

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #517 on: May 03, 2006, 06:08:08 AM »

I'm buying Pearl Jam, Tool and Snow Patrol today. Great week  ok
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #518 on: May 03, 2006, 10:55:38 AM »

Well in my straight forward opinion....

I haven't gotten into Pearl Jam as a whole band yet. I got their Greatest Hits album and then the new album.

It's an alright album. It isn't bad. The vocals on a couple of songs are a little overdone. Overall the album is good. I got it for 9.88 before tax. So for the money it was worth it. Track 11 teases you a lot, it has about 5 standouts, the rest are fillers.

Track 10, 11, 12, 13 all rule. 7 kicks ass and the single (#2) is good also. The first song isn't as good as people say.

It will debut in the top 5 I'm sure. What I'm really waiting on is that RHCP album, which I feel will be a masterpiece.

Thanks..

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #519 on: May 03, 2006, 12:00:11 PM »

It's horrible.

About this album and being the truth? Probably yes!

If you want people to respect you, you say why you think the album is horrible and how you think it could be better or what's stopping it from being better.

When you post stuff like that, people will think you're just spamming the thread.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 56 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: