Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 07:29:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228554 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Pearl Jam
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 56 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pearl Jam  (Read 275585 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #480 on: April 21, 2006, 06:52:56 PM »

the more songs i hear from the new album the more tempted i am to download it before i can do it legally at 12:01am may 2nd.
BA
Linkin Park's worst nightmare
VIP

g,n,f'n,r's!!**

« Reply #481 on: April 21, 2006, 07:08:02 PM »

where can i find the album?dont worry i always buy albums and i will do this one too and anyone who downloads albumss and doesnt buy them should all jump along with all the rest of the lemmings. i just want to hear it now.

i want to show you something,like joy inside my heart.seems i been living in the temple of the dog.where would i live if i were a man of goldenwords or would i live at all
word and music-my only tool
Chief
Legend

« Reply #482 on: April 22, 2006, 05:40:39 PM »

Pearl Jam has announced the European dates of their 2006 worldwide tour. Six
years since the band's last visit to Europe, Pearl Jam will return --
kicking off on August 23 in Dublin, Ireland and touring through September 25
in Vienna, Austria.

A Ten Club ticket pre-sale opportunity for European tour dates will be
announced very soon! Stay posted to www.pearljam.com for details.

PEARL JAM'S 2006 EUROPEAN TOUR DATES ARE AS FOLLOWS:

DATE CITY VENUE

Aug 23 Dublin, Ireland The Point
Aug 25* Leeds, UK Leeds Festival
Aug 27* Reading, UK Reading Festival
Aug 29 Arnhem, Netherlands Geldredome
Aug 30 Antwerp, Belgium Sportpaleis
Sept 2 Vitoria, Spain Azkena Rock Festival
Sept 4 Lisbon, Portugal Atlantico Pavillion
Sept 5 Lisbon, Portugal Atlantico Pavillion
Sept 9 Marseille, France Le Dome
Sept 11 Paris, France Bercy
Sept 13 Bern, Switzerland Arena
Sept 14 Bologna, Italy Palamalaguti
Sept 16 Verona, Italy Arena
Sept 17 Milan, Italy Forum
Sept 19 Torino, Italy Palaisozaki
Sept 20 Pistoia, Italy Duomo Square
Sept 23 Berlin, Germany Wuhlheide
Sept 25 Vienna, Austria Stadthalle

* Tickets currently on sale through these festivals.

Additional concert dates and opening acts for Pearl Jam's European tour will
be announced in the coming weeks.

Pearl Jam's 2006 worldwide tour is in support of the band's new, self-titled studio record due out May 1 in Europe and May 2 in North America. The first single off of Pearl Jam's forthcoming album, "World Wide Suicide", is at its sixth week in the top five of the U.S. modern rock radio charts. Pearl Jam's new album has already received a 4-star review in Rolling Stone and a 5-star review in Kerrang.

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
BigDeech
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #483 on: April 22, 2006, 08:41:58 PM »

The leaked stuff is not CD quality right?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #484 on: April 22, 2006, 10:26:47 PM »

The leaked stuff is not CD quality right?

no idea how good it sounds. i'm resisting listening until the 2nd.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #485 on: April 23, 2006, 06:35:24 AM »

Amazing!!

I hope they add Madrid or Barcelona. I'm not keen into Festivals so I think I'm just gonna wait to see if they announce a few more dates.
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #486 on: April 24, 2006, 12:47:56 PM »

I defin. want to see them come when they come to the u.s. But, only if they come to my city.
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #487 on: April 24, 2006, 01:00:26 PM »

Rolling Stone Reviews Pearl Jam's New Album Due Out May 2nd in the U.S.:

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/_/id/9964953/rid/10028282/

Wartime, for everything else that's wrong with it, brings out the best in Pearl Jam: the power-chord brawn, contrary righteousness and metallic-KO songwriting sense. The band's second and third albums, 1993's bluntly titled Vs. and 1994's Vitalogy, are as good as modern rock-in-opposition gets: shotgun guitars, incendiary bass and drums, and Eddie Vedder's scalded-dog howl, all discharged in backs-to-the-wall fury and union.This album, Pearl Jam's first studio release in four years and their best in ten, is more of that top electric combat.
With a difference. The Pearl Jam on Pearl Jam is not the band that famously responded to overnight platinum by going to war with the world. Vedder, guitarists Stone Gossard and Mike McCready, bassist Jeff Ament and drummer Matt Cameron are now fully at war in the world, unrepentant veterans of the campaign trail (the Vote for Change Tour) and right-wing crucifixion (the "Bushleaguer" uproar) who have made the most overtly partisan -- and hopeful -- record of their lives. For Vedder, the 2004 election was not a total loss. "Why swim the channel just to get this far?/Halfway there, why would you turn around?" he demands in the first song, "Life Wasted," in a ragged, run-on bark. And it's all forward ho from there. As immediate and despairing as breaking news from Baghdad -- "World Wide Suicide" opens with a newspaper casualty report -- Pearl Jam is also as big and brash in fuzz and backbone as Led Zeppelin's Presence.

That's not just rock-critic shorthand. However you define grunge music, Pearl Jam didn't play it. They were, from jump street, a classic rock band, building their bawl with iron-guitar bones and an arena-vocal lust that came right from Zeppelin, early-Seventies Who and mid-Eighties U2 (with distortion instead of the Edge's glass-guitar harmonics). But Pearl Jam have not been this consistently dirty and determined in the studio since they subbed for Crazy Horse on Neil Young's 1995 Mirror Ball. I own two complete tours' worth of Pearl Jam's official-bootleg concert CDs, and this record's five-song blastoff ("Life Wasted," "World Wide Suicide," "Comatose," "Severed Hand" and "Marker in the Sand") is right up there in punch and crust with my favorite nights in that live series (Seattle, 11/6/00, and New Orleans, 4/8/03, to name two). And whenever the guitars take over, which is a lot -- Gossard and McCready's slugging AC/DC-like intro to "Life Wasted"; McCready's wild wah-wah ride in "Big Wave"; the way he cracks Vedder's gloom in "Parachutes" like heat lightning -- it reminds me that Gossard and McCready deserved to be on our 2003 "Greatest Guitarists" list. Permit me to admit it here: I screwed up.

That's more confession than you'll ever hear in the Bush White House. But talk-show pit bulls will be disappointed to find that Vedder doesn't waste his breath naming names here, except for a glancing reference to "the president" in "World Wide Suicide." There is blame, but it's spread all around. "Now you got both sides/Claiming killing in God's name/But God is nowhere to be found, conveniently," Vedder sings in "Marker in the Sand," from inside Gossard and McCready's crossfire and the saturation bombing of Ament and Cameron. There is dread too -- lots of it. "Army Reserve" is a midtempo elegy for the real Army Reserve, the wives and children who serve in worry, behind the lines. (The dark harmonies crowding Vedder's low, grainy vocal feel like ghosts in waiting.) And "Unemployable" is just half a story, with a soaring-melancholy chorus. The song ends before the guy with the pink slip can find a new job. But Vedder's opening scene -- the fist with the ring that says jesus saves, flying with helpless anger into a metal locker -- is lesson enough. In multinational capitalism run riot, the bottom line doesn't care about religion or party line. We're all expendable.

And we're all accountable. The politics on Pearl Jam are not those of right or left but of engagement and responsibility. In "Life Wasted," Vedder at least partly mocks his old self, the one that wore success and the leverage that came with it like sackcloth: "Darkness comes in waves, tell me/Why invite it to stay?" But there is only determined optimism in Pearl Jam's superb finish, "Inside Job." The song starts quietly, then climbs and peaks like a combination of "Stairway to Heaven" and the Who's "The Song Is Over" -- a mirror image of Vedder's stumble through each line from night into light. "I will not lose my faith," he promises under thunderclap guitars, with such assurance that even if you don't agree with anything else on this record, you believe him.

DAVID FRICKE
(Posted: Apr, 21 2006)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #488 on: April 24, 2006, 01:58:36 PM »

I hav eonly ever owned 1 PJ album and that was Vitalogy.

I may actually pick this one up, its sounds very very interesting.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #489 on: April 24, 2006, 02:00:20 PM »

I hav eonly ever owned 1 PJ album and that was Vitalogy.

I may actually pick this one up, its sounds very very interesting.

Youshould dude ,You should also check out their othe ralbums goes their all good.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #490 on: April 24, 2006, 02:01:34 PM »

I take that back I also own 'Live on Two legs"

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #491 on: April 25, 2006, 01:05:06 PM »

The Vitalogy Of Pearl Jam (Another Review)!

http://www.dailyvanguard.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/04/24/444d290c3cafa

After a four-year recording hiatus the long-awaited eighth album from the Seattle band proves they can still rock
By Brian Smith
April 24, 2006

Pearl Jam is back. Big time.

Not that the Seattle-based five-piece ever disappeared, really. They?ve been around ? you just had to look a little harder than normal to find them. To notice that the band has been rewriting the book of rock history, in their own do-it-yourself style. To notice that while the rest of the rock world has burnt out and faded with the longevity of a Gap ad, Pearl Jam has kept doing what they do best. Rocking out. Releasing records and official bootlegs. Selling out arenas in city after city. Playing two-hour-plus live shows, each one different, unique and powerful. Basically, just keeping it real.

In fact, there isn?t another rock band in the world today that can lay claim to the following: the ability to sell out multiple nights in an arena in a major-market city (which is the equivalent of selling 60,000 tickets to 60,000 unique fans in a single town), yet somehow be deemed ?unpopular? or ?irrelevant? by the mainstream press.

Well, that?s all about to change.

Pearl Jam?s new self-titled record (to be released on J Records May 2) is their eighth. It?s the band?s finest since 1998?s Yield. And it?s the first rock record to come out in a long time that sounds like it actually matters.

Blasting out full throttle with ?Life Wasted,? a Who-ish rocker where lead singer Ed Vedder sings and screams as if his life depended on it, the band doesn?t take prisoners and refuses to look back. There are no apologies. No trick punches. No clich?s. It?s just driving guitars, the best rhythm section in rock today, thought-provoking lyrics, layered melody and Vedder?s animal-like howl.

?Why swim the channel just to get this far? Halfway there, why would you turn around?? screams Vedder, part plea, part condemnation.

Beneath his soaring voice, one that almost sounds hoarse as if it has screamed these words too many times before, bassist Jeff Ament is deep in the low end, kicking through the speakers with thick notes that push and pull. Drummer Matt Cameron alternates a standard Motown 4/4 beat with hi-hat catches and quick, powerful fills that crash like waves. And while rhythm guitarist Stone Gossard chomps and devours power chords in his trademark furtive staccato style, lead guitarist Mike McCready unleashes a nasty, chaotic solo that is the musical definition of shock and awe.

And this is just the LP?s first track. It only gets better.

?Worldwide Suicide,? the album?s first single, which instantly shot to number one on the Billboard Modern Rock chart, finds the band immediately changing gears. Sounding like Vitalogy-era Pearl Jam mixed with ?Green Disease? from 2003?s overlooked Riot Act, the song is Pearl Jam at its best.

Beginning backwards with a snare crack from Cameron, guitar feedback floats on top of a catchy, almost danceable snare/kick-drum pattern. Then the guitars crash in. As thick, overdriven rhythm chords dart in and out, an experimental e-bow screeches, creating an intriguing counter melody. Then a third guitar appears, catching the backbeat on a high note and, just as quickly, sliding out. And then the verse begins.

?Saw his face in a corner picture ? I recognized the name. Could not stop staring at the face I?d never see again.?

This time, Vedder swings the pendulum, taking a point of view that is often ignored when discussing the perils of war ? the thoughts and feelings of ?those left behind.?

Once the bridge rolls around, Vedder?s voice is cracking, breaking. ?What does it mean, when the war has taken over?? he shouts.

It?s one of the simplest, yet most profound statements that anyone has voiced in regards to the United States? invasion of Iraq. In one line, Vedder says everything that the talking heads on television haven?t.

Up next, ?Comatose.? Clocking in at the tightest two minutes and 20 seconds that you?ll ever hear on a rock record, Pearl Jam is simply on fire. Written when the band was headlining the ?Vote for Change? tour during the 2004 presidential election, Vedder?s lyrics rip open the question of democracy in an un-democratic time. The guitars rage and soar. And the Cameron-Ament combination sounds like a freight train doused in gasoline.

?Consider me an object, put me in vacuum ? Feel it rising, yeah, next stop: falling.?

It?s The Clash?s ?Know Your Rights? in double time, sung by The Buzzcocks. By the time that McCready rips through a solo that borders on the verge of metal, you?ll either want to re-register to vote or camp out in front of the White House.

However, as soon as the track slams to a halt, Pearl Jam?s at it again. More change.

?Severed Hand? opens with an airy, spinning, backwards sound (think the intro to Radiohead?s ?Like Spinning Plates.?) Twenty-five seconds later, an intricate tom pattern and shimmering guitar chords emerge similar to ?Light Years? off of 2000?s underappreciated Binaural. Then, a third bridge jumps out ? vicious and anthemic, it sounds like 1991 all over again. And the first verse hasn?t even started yet.

?Big man stands behind an open door, says ?leave your baby on the cement floor,?? Vedder sings, in a new-found, semi-demented voice.

This time, he?s a man who?s seen it all and has had enough. Written back in 2000 as Vedder was dealing with personal issues and the band was dealing with the aftermath of the Roskilde tragedy, ?Severed Hand? is Pearl Jam recreating and reinventing itself.

?Parachutes? is perhaps the smartest track on the album. Vedder is romantic and charming, and the band sounds new and clean, while giving a nod to Lennon and McCartney at the same time. ?Unemployable? is as catchy as it is socially timely. ?Big Wave? is punk/surf rock with Motown backing vocals. ?Army Reserve? echoes The Cure and The Smiths in their prime. And the LP?s final two tracks, ?Come Back? and ?Inside Job,? see the band dealing with tragedy and the grief that follows it nakedly, creating songs that mirror the ebb and flow of life.

Quite simply, Pearl Jam sounds reborn ? vital and essential for these turbulent times. And Vedder, while older and wiser, has undoubtedly regained his fire. A father now, it?s as if he?s taken a good, hard look at the world and decided that it is worth saving. And on this album, he sounds like he?d be the first person in line to sign up and take on the cause.

Pearl Jam will play the Gorge Amphitheater in George, Wash., on July 22 and 23. Tickets go on sale this Saturday at 9 a.m. Check www.tenclub.net for details.
KIKO2K6
Happy as a Pig in Shit
VIP

I am a ''ROCKER''

« Reply #492 on: April 27, 2006, 04:30:11 AM »

World Wide Suicide is the best song ... of the new cd for sure .
I didint like the new album , is good but i was expecting  more .

The New Interpretation of a Masterwerk!!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/art2/kikoalbuquerque/

Chinese Democracy Starts....sometime between now and November 25th !
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #493 on: April 27, 2006, 12:24:11 PM »

World Wide Suicide is the best song ... of the new cd for sure .
I didint like the new album , is good but i was expecting? more .

I think you're just trying to spoil it for the rest of us.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #494 on: April 27, 2006, 07:44:19 PM »

Those reviews sound pretty promising, I'll definitely check this album out! ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #495 on: April 28, 2006, 04:46:54 PM »

Just heard WWS and it fucking kicks ass!! I'm definitely picking up this album. It'll be my first sense Yield.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Gordi
« Reply #496 on: April 30, 2006, 09:57:08 AM »

This album is great  ok I'm listening to it right now. My favourites at the moment are: Unemployable, World Wide Suicide and Inside Job. It's almost flawless this album yes
1badapple
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #497 on: April 30, 2006, 06:08:00 PM »

i'm not a big PJ fan. i had the first 3 cd's, but didn't get into much they put out after that. that being said, i think this cd is VERY good.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #498 on: April 30, 2006, 08:00:02 PM »

i'm not a big PJ fan. i had the first 3 cd's, but didn't get into much they put out after that. that being said, i think this cd is VERY good.

That's pretty much how I feel about PJ, love their first few albums then lost interest in them. But this album might get me back...

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #499 on: April 30, 2006, 09:56:51 PM »

im in that camp too, loved em till about 96 then I think they went downhill big time

the reviews Ive read for this latest one, inspire me to think I may reinvest some time in PJ

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 56 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: