Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 10:32:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Pearl Jam
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 56 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pearl Jam  (Read 275146 times)
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #380 on: May 23, 2005, 05:42:57 PM »

i think all of their albums are good in their own way.

Agree.

However, I didn't particulary enjoy their last album. There's a beautiul song in there though, thumbing my way, but the rest of the album really doesn't do it for me.

I do find myself listening to PJ bootlegs/b-sides/unreleased songs more than I do their studio albums too. "Throw your arms around me" is one of my favorites. Was that song performed just by Vedder? it does sound like it. Also, the covers  "The kids are alright", "All I want is the truth","I believe in Miracles" are great.

I suggest you guys download Cheap Trick's "surrender" featuring Vedder live. I love that song. I haven't heard the cover VR put out a while back, but Eddie sounds fucking great on that performance.
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #381 on: May 23, 2005, 05:55:53 PM »

I actually would put Riot Act up with their best but I will admit it took hearing the live versions of these songs mixed amongst all their old songs for them to really sink in for me. Same could be said for Binaural.

Thumbing My Way is just amazing, right up in my top 3 with Black and Footsteps.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #382 on: May 23, 2005, 06:10:27 PM »

good news about the tour, hopefully with a few dates in the UK...any idea when dates will be announced?

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #383 on: May 23, 2005, 07:38:46 PM »

good news about the tour, hopefully with a few dates in the UK...any idea when dates will be announced?

No, and now it seems kinda unlikely that they'll tour in Europe in 2005.

Ament says it's likely the band will launch a U.S. tour after the album is released through PJ's new home, J Records, in the fall.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1502710/20050520/pearl_jam.jhtml?headlines=true

They're already gonna tour in Canada in September, so if they plan to tour in the US after that it would mean October/November.

However, I didn't particulary enjoy their last album. There's a beautiul song in there though, thumbing my way, but the rest of the album really doesn't do it for me.

How can you not like "Love Boat Captain" or "I Am Mine"? Wink

"Throw your arms around me" is one of my favorites. Was that song performed just by Vedder?

I think he did it alone. At least most times.

There's a version of him and Mike doing the song in Stockholm in 1992. You can also find him doing the song with Mark Seymour of Hunters and Collectors on the Live At The Garden DVD.

That was one of the songs he did in Stockholm in 2000 (when he played five songs alone before the opening act).  Cool

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #384 on: May 23, 2005, 07:41:58 PM »

Jarmo, you seem to be up on your PJ, so is there a tentative release date for a new album yet? 
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #385 on: May 23, 2005, 07:45:19 PM »

Jarmo, you seem to be up on your PJ, so is there a tentative release date for a new album yet??

If you read the MTV news story, you'll see that it says fall. Wink

Ament says it's likely the band will launch a U.S. tour after the album is released through PJ's new home, J Records, in the fall. But at this stage, it's still too early to tell when Pearl Jam might turn this latest opus in.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #386 on: May 23, 2005, 07:55:07 PM »

Thanks, man.  Article?  Uhhh....too many words, thanks for the Cliff notes version!
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #387 on: May 23, 2005, 10:43:44 PM »

Man this year is shaping up pretty good with music releases .And it can only get better with a new Pearl Jam album. yes

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #388 on: May 24, 2005, 05:50:02 AM »

How can you not like "Love Boat Captain" or "I Am Mine"? Wink

I Like I am Mine, but LBC I can't really get into. I usually find myself skiping that song when I random play my mp3's.

Sucks that they won't come to Europe this year though.

reckless_life
« Reply #389 on: June 08, 2005, 12:07:55 PM »

The Ten and Vs type, or the "why don't people like their other albums Cry" type?
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #390 on: June 08, 2005, 12:11:24 PM »

Ten

EEEERRRR Little boy
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #391 on: June 08, 2005, 12:12:43 PM »

Ten and Vs - the other albums are disgracefully bad. Only Metallica fell further and faster than Pearl Jam did

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #392 on: June 08, 2005, 12:34:54 PM »

I'm The type of fan who likes all their album .Yes not all were perfect but they all had some really good stuff on them.

Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #393 on: June 08, 2005, 12:52:33 PM »

Ten is definately their finest work!
but most of their albums has good songs on them yes

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
reckless_life
« Reply #394 on: June 08, 2005, 04:28:31 PM »

I think Ten is one of the best albums ever. Vs is pretty good. The other two I own are Vitology and Yield, and I think they're hopelessly crap.

p.s. if you're a Ten and Vs person, is it still worth geting Lost Dogs?
p.p.s sorry about starting that thread before, i didnt know there was a PJ thread
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #395 on: June 08, 2005, 04:36:30 PM »

I think Ten is one of the best albums ever. Vs is pretty good. The other two I own are Vitology and Yield, and I think they're hopelessly crap.

U only have to listen to the best of - conveniently in chronological order (atleast on disc one) to hear some of the greatest rock ever recorded 'evole' into some of the blandest most uninspired music ever realeased - compare Jeremy and Alive to Spin the black circle and Not for you.....thats quite some way to fall

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #396 on: June 09, 2005, 10:42:31 AM »

Ten and Vs - the other albums are disgracefully bad.

Good ol' Izzy...

Man, is that you or Booker posting?? Huh

Some of your posts lately remind me of Booker's? yes What happened to him by the way?

Anyway, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. While my favorite album is Vs, I do enjoy the latests albums almost as much as I enjoyed the first two. I see PJ's career as a band who opted to find their sound instead of being forced to sound in certain way. Every band evolves, some are fortunate enough to do so as they really want, some are not. Pearl Jam did stick to what they wanted to do on the first place, and you have to give them credit for that. Metallica, on the other hand, sold out trying to fit their sound to whatever was mainstream then.

A while ago you seemed to be interested in PJ. I don't know if you went and bought all the albums, if you did, I'd just suggest you take another listen.

From Vitology: Check out Corduroy, Inmortality, Betterman, Nothingman...that album is just as good as Ten.

From No Code: A weird, but amazing album Smile ( a personall fav), sometimes, Red mosquito.

From Yield ( the most underrated Pearl Jam album) : Brain of J., In Hiding (this one is the "alive" from this record, Given to Fly and of course, one of my all time Pearl Jam Favorite's, Wishlist

From Binaural: Thin Air, Nothing as it seems and Light Years (in my top 5 pearl jam songs)

From Riot Act: Not a fan of this album, however, Thumbing my way (beautiful acoustic) and I'm mine are good.

Plenty of amazing material there.? ok

Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #397 on: June 09, 2005, 12:52:42 PM »

Ten and Vs - the other albums are disgracefully bad.

Good ol' Izzy...

Man, is that you or Booker posting?? Huh

Some of your posts lately remind me of Booker's? yes What happened to him by the way?

As Booker spent the whole time disagreeing with me i'm not sure how i could sound like him.

Anyway, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. While my favorite album is Vs, I do enjoy the latests albums almost as much as I enjoyed the first two. I see PJ's career as a band who opted to find their sound instead of being forced to sound in certain way. Every band evolves, some are fortunate enough to do so as they really want, some are not. Pearl Jam did stick to what they wanted to do on the first place, and you have to give them credit for that. Metallica, on the other hand, sold out trying to fit their sound to whatever was mainstream then.

I think a band evolving its sound is great - but Pearl Jam were good at grunge and lousy at whatever the hell their current 'style' is, judging from the way their album sales have dried up maybe they should think about what they are good at and stick with that

Ten - 12x Platinum
Vs - 7x
Vitology - 5x
No Code - 1x
Yield - 1x
Binaural - Gold
Riot Act - Gold
Lost Dogs - Gold

I'm certainly not in a minority when i claim they haven't got any better....to say the least

A while ago you seemed to be interested in PJ. I don't know if you went and bought all the albums, if you did, I'd just suggest you take another listen.

I'm still intrested in the band - Ten is probably the greatest album ever made and Vs is a fine album too - the other albums helped me appreciate how good the first 2 are....

Plenty of amazing material there.? ok

Believe me i want to agree, i didn't spend so much to get all the albums as part of a plan to hate them but its just not for me, they just don't sound good to these ears
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 01:10:15 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #398 on: June 09, 2005, 04:00:08 PM »

They kinda stopped promoting themselves after "Ten".

They've only made a few videos after that. They're making music that makes them happy instead of making music that makes the record company happy.

Creed basically ripped PJ off, and sold a shitload of albums. Maybe you'll be happier listening to them?

/jarmo

Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #399 on: June 09, 2005, 04:18:56 PM »

I didn't know album sells were the measuring stick for if something is good .

Hell Britney Spears must by one of the greatest talents of all time.

Pearl Jam Might not be selling what they us to, but none of the band form the early 90's are .

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 56 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: