Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 07:24:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228554 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Pearl Jam
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 56 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pearl Jam  (Read 275553 times)
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #460 on: March 12, 2006, 09:48:11 AM »

Just heard the new song. It's ok.

I think I'm passed the stage of expecting another Vs, or another Ten...or even another Yellow Ledbetter (I consider this song to be their best). I don't expect anything other than a band that's evolved through the years and that reflects into their songs. We are all waiting for that song/album that's gonna bring them back in the spot light, but is it really gonna happen? No, I doubt it.

PJ and Oasis share some similarities. Both bands ruled the 90's with the first two albums, huge success and critically acclaimed records. The latter albums, although well received, didn't sell as much as the first ones, and every time they are about to release an album, I can't help to think...will this be the one we are all expecting?

I hope the album is good. Enough so it mantains the momentum when they tour. I won't miss it this time.
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #461 on: March 13, 2006, 12:21:34 PM »

I think they'll have a general amount of success with this album, but of course, I'm just judging that from their first single. Who knows what the full album sounds like?
//JK75
VIP

It's been a long time for me

« Reply #462 on: March 15, 2006, 07:43:52 PM »

everytime I hear the song I feel it greater... I can't wait to hear the full album.

//JK
SOLGER
Rocker

LIVE N? LET DIE

« Reply #463 on: March 17, 2006, 02:33:28 AM »

pearl jam SUUUUUUUUCKS  ok

Live N' Let Die
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #464 on: March 17, 2006, 06:18:52 AM »

pearl jam SUUUUUUUUCKS? ok

Thanx for such an amazing contribution  ok
Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #465 on: March 17, 2006, 07:38:27 AM »

I wouldn't consider myself a fan of Pearl Jam, but Ten is in my top 10 favourite albums!  Every song on there rocks!  I'm not big on the newer music.  My biggest pet peeve is those kids who say "I (love/hate) Pearl Jam!  They did that 'Last Kiss' song, right??? What an (amazing/shitty) song!"  Let me clarify, that's no where near Pearl Jam.  God, don't ya just wanna ring their necks?   Wink

GNRevolution... the missing link.
//JK75
VIP

« Reply #466 on: March 17, 2006, 04:24:21 PM »

Just your opinion.  Grin

//JK
SOLGER
Rocker

LIVE N? LET DIE

« Reply #467 on: March 17, 2006, 08:52:56 PM »

Thanx for such an amazing contribution? ok

a pleasure!  ok

Live N' Let Die
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #468 on: March 20, 2006, 05:11:32 PM »

hey guys my friend just invited me to a Pearl Jam show, i was always aware of them i just never really heard anything more than just snippets of Jeremy and Even Flow etc.. wats a good starter album? im thinking about just getting "Ten".

also, how are they live? i heard they have a killer live show.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #469 on: March 20, 2006, 06:36:16 PM »

Ten is a classic but if you want a bit of everything get the Rearviewmirror compilation.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Jonathan
« Reply #470 on: March 20, 2006, 06:39:49 PM »

Why aren't you banned yet?

On topic, I really like the new song, great.
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #471 on: March 20, 2006, 06:49:37 PM »

Ten is a classic but if you want a bit of everything get the Rearviewmirror compilation.

/jarmo

ok i was thinking about doing that, thanx alot jarmo.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #472 on: March 21, 2006, 10:31:28 AM »

Hey can anyone send me some Pearl Jam Mp3s?

I might get into them. I've only heard the new song, and about 3-4 other ones. I'm pretty clueless about them. Just one of those bands that I never checked out. I never cared for Vedder's voice.

Someone send me something that will impress me please.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #473 on: March 22, 2006, 11:53:28 PM »

pearl jam used to be my favorite band.... ten is unreal.. and is still my second fav album behind afd.... and yellowledbetter is still one of my fav songs.. vs was awsome too.. and about half of vitalogy is really good too.. my problem with them.. is there politics and anti fame attitude..  i hate it when bands try to make some sort of deep political statement.. i think when they jumped the shark for me was on an mtv special.. and eddie  wrote pro choice on his arm during porch...  like gives a shit if he is pro choice or not...   anyway... sorry about the rant.. anyone thats into pearljam should check out temple of the dog too... most fans already know about them... but some of the new fans might not.. its basicly chris cornel singing for pj.. eddie sings on one song..
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #474 on: March 22, 2006, 11:59:18 PM »

I might get into them. I've only heard the new song, and about 3-4 other ones. I'm pretty clueless about them. Just one of those bands that I never checked out. I never cared for Vedder's voice.

Check out their first 2 albums Ten and Vs, or their 2-Disc Hits compilation like Jarmo mentioned.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #475 on: March 23, 2006, 08:07:03 AM »

http://www.pearljamonline.it/mp3.htm

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
purplehaze1988
Rocker

nur ihr konnt holland stoppen

« Reply #476 on: March 26, 2006, 02:18:34 PM »

Check out their first 2 albums Ten and Vs, or their 2-Disc Hits compilation like Jarmo mentioned.

ten, vs and lost dogs are v good

the rest is pants imo

I've worked too hard for my illusions just to throw them all away.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #477 on: April 19, 2006, 03:09:57 PM »

Q & A
Eddie Vedder

Pearl Jam's leader on the difference between surfing and crowd surfing, and the best advice Bob Dylan gave him
There's so much information in the songs and the lyrics that it felt like one more title was almost pretentious," says Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder. That's just one explanation for why the band's eighth studio album is simply called Pearl Jam. Another would be that it is the group's most democratic effort since its massive 1991 debut, Ten. On songs like the laid-back acoustic beauty "Parachutes" (music written by Stone Gossard), the eight-minute trip "Inside Job" (lyrics by Mike McCready) and the first single, "World Wide Suicide" (which is killing at radio), PJ brought a live feel to the studio, laying down tracks that showcase tasty guitar interplay and a heavy backbeat. "When you collaborate, you still have this urge to stay in the studio after everybody's left and do things the way you want to," says a chilled-out Vedder on a cold, dark day in Seattle. "But you can't do that."

What instruments did you have around the house growing up?

My brother got a guitar, we got a stand-up piano, and then I got a Les Paul-copy guitar. It looked like the guitar Ace [Frehley] played. My brother excelled immediately -- he was playing blindfolded and I couldn't push down a chord. I was very disturbed by that. Then after a year, all of a sudden it felt like a friend. I'll never forget it.

Was there a moment?

Yeah. It was "Cat Scratch Fever." All of a sudden, the guitar felt right. This guy, Bud Whitcomb, I'd do weeding in his back yard to get free lessons, but he wouldn't teach me anything but bar chords. I hated him for it -- that was a lot to ask of twelve-year-old hands. I remember Bud went on vacation, and I went to church, and they had this booklet of songs -- like "Black and White" -- with charts with open chords in it. And I stole it! Suddenly the open chords made me feel like writing.

What do you remember about your first gig with the Pearl Jam guys in 1990, as Mookie Blaylock?

On the sixth day of my first trip to Seattle we played a gig, and on the seventh we were supposed to rest, but we recorded. The show was at a place called the Off Ramp, and we were opening up for two other bands. I remember during our sound check, they opened the doors. I was singing with my eyes closed to an empty room, and I opened my eyes for the last chorus, and the place was full. It's a good analogy for how quick things happened for us.

What was it like meeting Dylan at his thirtieth-anniversary concert?

Everyone congregated in a corner of an Irish bar in New York after the show. Some real history took place that night. The oldest Clancy brother was reciting eight-minute Irish poems; Ronnie Wood and George Harrison were there. We were about to do our second record, and Bob passed on a few lessons to me there in the corner, one of which was "Don't read anything in the paper, don't watch TV. Get away." I felt the same way. Back then I felt like we were part of the pollution.

You bootlegged concerts growing up. Still have the tapes?

I've still got them. I listened to them a lot. Music, for me, was fucking heroin. It was something I needed. Live shows gave me strength. A day or two after a show, the high would wear off, but listening to the bootlegs with your eyes closed was like getting high again. Like an X show, or the Tubes, or the Who. I was a user.

Can you compare surfing with crowd-surfing?

The crowds are much more dangerous, because of the germs and bacteria in a sweaty mosh-pit circa 1992. Surfing is like no other thing I've felt, except for music and holding your newborn.

What's the most amazing thing you've seen from the stage?

I remember a gig in Florida at a big baseball stadium, toward the end of our Vs. tour. There were three pits -- it looked like a Norelco razor. I remember a wheelchair being carried to the front. We got him onstage during "Rockin' in the Free World." Last year I heard that he was one of the guys in Murderball.

No way! Last year you hopped onstage with Kings of Leon. Are they your favorite young band?

They hit a reflex in me. They opened for U2 and we hung out, and the next night we played "Slow Night, So Long." I bashed some tambourines -- it was exciting. The new Strokes record is also a great piece of work. Caleb [Followill] and Julian's [Casablancas] vocal deliveries are great, and unconscious -- it's like what they said about Sinatra or Joey Ramone or Lennon and McCartney.

Was there something unique to writing "Elderly Woman..."? Did that spring from a dream?

It's funny you say that. You're exactly right. We were recording Vs., and we were staying in this house in San Francisco, but I was outside in a little outhouse, in my own world. I slept in there too. It was the size of a bathroom, and I was able to fit a little amp and a four-track. I was dreaming that I was going back to where I lived in San Diego, and when I woke up, the dream was still alive. It came out right quick -- I don't even think I scribbled down the lyrics. It was bizarre.

Do you feel better listening to Pearl Jam than you felt about previous albums?

Looking back, you can say, "This record is a little midtempo" or "Why was that the single?" but I can't necessarily answer objectively. Melodically speaking, the new songs are pretty strong. I think the drumming is impeccable. And we've figured out a way to create space for the guys in the band, for them to get to that level of energy that they have when we play live. I'm not sure how that happened, but I think it's a step in the right direction.

What kind of wine do you like to guzzle onstage?

As long as it's red and there's a spare in the back...

AUSTIN SCAGGS

Posted Apr 21, 2006 4:39 PM

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
//JK75
VIP

« Reply #478 on: April 19, 2006, 08:37:25 PM »

thanx Jarmo, cool interview.

//JK
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #479 on: April 21, 2006, 12:16:23 PM »

Pearl Jam "Life Wasted" video clip here.

/jarmo

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 56 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: