Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 07:32:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Pearl Jam
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 56 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pearl Jam  (Read 259825 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #260 on: June 06, 2004, 09:54:07 PM »

good choices Jarmo breath is my all time favorite song of theirs
kujo722
« Reply #261 on: June 07, 2004, 02:47:35 AM »

"The Real Thing" with Cypress Hill from the Judgement Night soundtrack.
"Animal/Rockin In The Free World" with Neil Young from the 93 VMA's
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 02:49:23 AM by kujo722 » Logged
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #262 on: June 07, 2004, 09:42:28 AM »

Thx guys ok

I already had The Merking Ball Cd, "Man on the Hour" and "Animal/Keep on Rocking..."

I can't find " Breath " "Last Soldier" nor " The kids..." Could any of you suggest me where to look ( other than WinMX)?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 09:45:47 AM by Chinasky » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #263 on: June 07, 2004, 10:12:36 AM »

I can't find " Breath " "Last Soldier" nor " The kids..." Could any of you suggest me where to look ( other than WinMX)?

Last Soldier plus other goodies: http://www.pearljamonline.it/mp3.htm

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #264 on: June 07, 2004, 10:34:23 AM »

/jarmo

Grazie!
kujo722
« Reply #265 on: June 07, 2004, 11:54:27 AM »

/jarmo

Holy Shit, thats a gold mine of Pearl Jam rarities.  drool Thanks for the link Jarmo. And thanks to whoever owns that site. ok
JamieG
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #266 on: June 11, 2004, 04:50:54 AM »

Ultimately, I think of the line in [Neil Young's] "Rockin' in the Free World": "Don't feel like Satan but I am to them/So I try and forgive 'em any way I can."

Sometimes singers really disappoint me! [And it's the same with certain singers (ahem!) who need teleprompters to sing their own songs...]
But how can Eddie not know how that song goes? I thought he was a big Neil Young fan?

He doesn't even know the lyrics?? Rockin' in the Freeworld is a great song and that lyric is a great one, perhaps the best ever in my opinion because it can have meaning to so many people depending on how you interpet the song.

Anyway, sorry Eddie, but the correct lyrics are: "Don't feel like Satan but I am to them/So I try and FORGET it any way I can.

Forget and forgive have very different meanings. Shame on Eddie for screwing it up. It blows me away that some of these guys don't even know the lyrics to these songs.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 04:52:49 AM by JamieG » Logged
JamieG
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #267 on: June 11, 2004, 05:06:50 AM »

let me ask a pearl jam expert some questions

with pearl jam i have limited knowledge and have only listenedto and love black, alive, jeremy,daughter,better man, nothing man, eldery woman,wishlist, i am mine but thats bout all ive heard by them

are the rest of their songs as deep and meaninful and good as those?

any suggestions on specific songs i should check out?

We seem to have the same taste in Pearl Jam songs since I also love all of the songs you listed.

But to answer your question honestly, are all of their songs as good and as meaningful as those? I'd say no.

Pearl Jam have a lot of great songs that I love, but they also have a lot of songs that I always skip and never listen to.

But the CD of theirs that has the most songs that I like would be Vitalogy. That's what I would recommend.

Not For You, Corduroy (awesome song), Nothingman, Better Man, and Immortality are all excellent songs.

Although these aren't written by them, Last Kiss and Crazy Mary are also two of my favorites by Pearl Jam.
JamieG
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #268 on: June 11, 2004, 05:13:32 AM »

By the way, how could no one have known that Last Kiss would be a hit?Huh Neither Pearl Jam or the record company people expected it? And how much do these A & R guys get paid?Huh

I could tell you that Last Kiss would be a hit the first time I heard it. I don't think it should have shocked anyone. Some songs have hit written all over them and that's one of them.

Anytime a band like Pearl Jam does a slow song with a good beat it's going to be played and then you add in the great and tragic lyrics...and it shouldn't have surprised anyone.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 05:22:11 AM by JamieG » Logged
kujo722
« Reply #269 on: June 11, 2004, 08:31:42 AM »

Got the Madison Square Garden DVD last night.  ok

A must see. My new favorite part: Eddie passing the wine bottle around the front row during "Crazy Mary"
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #270 on: June 11, 2004, 09:13:31 AM »

By the way, how could no one have known that Last Kiss would be a hit?Huh

Because the single was only sent to the fan club members and not to radio.

It was something they recorded at a souncheck, not in a studio.

Some people at radiostations obviously got hold of it and started playing it. Then PJ decided to release it as a single and give the money to charity.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
kujo722
« Reply #271 on: June 11, 2004, 03:58:32 PM »

Ultimately, I think of the line in [Neil Young's] "Rockin' in the Free World": "Don't feel like Satan but I am to them/So I try and forgive 'em any way I can."

Sometimes singers really disappoint me! [And it's the same with certain singers (ahem!) who need teleprompters to sing their own songs...]
But how can Eddie not know how that song goes? I thought he was a big Neil Young fan?

He doesn't even know the lyrics?? Rockin' in the Freeworld is a great song and that lyric is a great one, perhaps the best ever in my opinion because it can have meaning to so many people depending on how you interpet the song.

Anyway, sorry Eddie, but the correct lyrics are: "Don't feel like Satan but I am to them/So I try and FORGET it any way I can.

Forget and forgive have very different meanings. Shame on Eddie for screwing it up. It blows me away that some of these guys don't even know the lyrics to these songs.

You also have to keep in mind  that by the time they get to playing this song Eddie has about 5 bottles of wine pumping through his system. You should be impressed that thats the only word he fucks up Grin
JamieG
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #272 on: June 11, 2004, 04:50:55 PM »

The last time I was in the record store (I don't download a lot of stuff, I know I'm stuck in the past) under Pearl Jam it's almost all live recording CD's. I couldn't even find some of their studio albums (I have them all anyway), but it was just tons of live recordings.

So I was considering getting one just to have a lot of the songs I love all one, but is there one that stands out? I can't remember all of the dates and cities that I saw, but is there a couple that I should be looking for?

I'd like to get one that had both Last Kiss and Crazy Mary and preferrably some more covers, like Rockin in the Free World.

But I know that the sound quality varies and sometimes Eddie's voice has an off night, so is there a couple that really stand out that I should be looking for?

And by the way, what was this Good Charolotte comment that Eddie made that people were talking about? What did he say?
JamieG
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #273 on: June 11, 2004, 04:55:43 PM »

Some people at radiostations obviously got hold of it and started playing it. Then PJ decided to release it as a single and give the money to charity.

/jarmo

Thanks.

Pearl Jam is funny. It's like they do everything they can to make sure they don't sell records.

Aside from when they were first new and songs like Alive and Jeremy, arguably 3 of their most popular songs ever, Last Kiss, Crazy Mary and Yellow Ledbetter, aren't even on official Pearl Jam CD's.

P
JamieG
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #274 on: June 11, 2004, 05:01:25 PM »

You also have to keep in mind  that by the time they get to playing this song Eddie has about 5 bottles of wine pumping through his system. You should be impressed that thats the only word he fucks up Grin

But I hope he was sober for that interview, and he still fucked it up!

Not to take it too seriously, and it's a little different in this case since it is a cover song, but I think it's a little disrespectful when singers or songwriters can't even remember the words. Some songs can have so much meaning to the fans, but it obviously means so little to the people who composed them that they don't even know what the words are?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #275 on: June 11, 2004, 05:35:26 PM »

Aside from when they were first new and songs like Alive and Jeremy, arguably 3 of their most popular songs ever, Last Kiss, Crazy Mary and Yellow Ledbetter, aren't even on official Pearl Jam CD's.

Last Kiss and YL are on Lost Dogs.

And by the way, what was this Good Charolotte comment that Eddie made that people were talking about? What did he say?

"If it weren't for The Buzzcocks who knows we might sound like, Good Charlotte or something that sounds like...... Oh, they're good, they just sound like, it sounds like... Well, it tastes like a popsicle that has been stuck up somebody's ass. But that's my opinion. Some people are into that, who am I to say?"

hihi

/jarmo
« Last Edit: June 12, 2004, 07:30:48 PM by jarmo » Logged

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #276 on: June 11, 2004, 08:48:53 PM »

But I hope he was sober for that interview, and he still fucked it up!

Not to take it too seriously, and it's a little different in this case since it is a cover song, but I think it's a little disrespectful when singers or songwriters can't even remember the words. Some songs can have so much meaning to the fans, but it obviously means so little to the people who composed them that they don't even know what the words are?

it might be intentional he changes words to songs a lot live he even changes the words to the last verse of rockin in the free world during the last tour
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #277 on: June 11, 2004, 08:51:25 PM »

The last time I was in the record store (I don't download a lot of stuff, I know I'm stuck in the past) under Pearl Jam it's almost all live recording CD's. I couldn't even find some of their studio albums (I have them all anyway), but it was just tons of live recordings.

So I was considering getting one just to have a lot of the songs I love all one, but is there one that stands out? I can't remember all of the dates and cities that I saw, but is there a couple that I should be looking for?

I'd like to get one that had both Last Kiss and Crazy Mary and preferrably some more covers, like Rockin in the Free World.

But I know that the sound quality varies and sometimes Eddie's voice has an off night, so is there a couple that really stand out that I should be looking for?

he said they sound like a popsicle that was stuck up someone's ass and the crowd cheered then he said some ppl are into that
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #278 on: June 11, 2004, 08:53:07 PM »

/jarmo

Thanks.

Pearl Jam is funny. It's like they do everything they can to make sure they don't sell records.

P

i love that their like that, that they don't have to be the biggest band in the world all over the tv and radio
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #279 on: June 12, 2004, 10:55:15 AM »

Crazy Mary may be well-known amongst PJ die-hard fans, but I don't think the song is that popular otherwise. I think Daughter, Better Man, Rearview-Mirror, Nothing Man or even I Got Id are more "popular" than Crazy Marie. Actually, I'd say " State of Love and Trust" ( not found in any official PJ cd either) has had much more airplay than Crazy Mary.

I really like PJ, however, I never understood why the band stopped making videos/interviews/MTV appereances after "Ten". Jeremy's video gave the band the popularity and recognition. Once they became huge, they stopped playing the game. It is quite easy to reject fame and popularity when you are one the biggest rock bands in the business. Hypothetically speaking, What would  have happened if PJ hadn't released any videos nor gave the media nothing from the beginning?

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 56 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: