Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 08:52:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Pearl Jam
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 56 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pearl Jam  (Read 259246 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #200 on: October 01, 2003, 05:59:15 AM »

yes the rest of their songs are just as deep and meaningful in my opinion as for songs lets see some of my favorites are off he goes love boat captian very meaningful song was written about the roskilde tragedy faithful my personal favorite breath rearviewmirror porch garden release glorified g dissident indifference immortality tremor christ sometimes who you are present tense given to fly do the evolution in hiding light years  thin air sleight of hand parting ways
here is several songs these are all great songs i think hope you will like them too
GNFNRS
Bush-lover
Rocker

Yes, evil does have it's honest side and it's called Slash

« Reply #201 on: October 01, 2003, 03:14:03 PM »

More songs for you: Save You, Not for You, All those Yesterdays, Grievance, Smile, Crazy Mary(cover song), Why Go.   All the songs listed above are awesome as well.  Enjoy.

We're just jerk-offs like everybody else
chineseilusions
Sweet home Alabama
VIP

Now that's a llama

« Reply #202 on: October 04, 2003, 01:10:02 PM »

Is pearl Jame working on anything new
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #203 on: October 04, 2003, 01:52:09 PM »

No idea, they have a few shows coming up later this month.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
chineseilusions
Sweet home Alabama
VIP

Now that's a llama

« Reply #204 on: October 04, 2003, 07:59:07 PM »

No idea, they have a few shows coming up later this month.

/jarmo
Any place I can get venues and dates
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #205 on: October 04, 2003, 09:24:31 PM »

http://www.sonymusic.net/artists/PearlJam/tour/tourdate.html

October 22, 2003, YouthCare Benefit, Benaroya Hall; Seattle, Washington

October 25, 2003, Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Amphitheatre; Mountain View, California

October 26, 2003, Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Amphitheatre; Mountain View, California

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #206 on: October 05, 2003, 05:56:16 AM »

probably no new material before next year or 2005 only thing new this year will be the rarities album and dvd
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #207 on: October 15, 2003, 02:38:17 PM »

Found the cover art to Lost Dogs at Amazon.com:

/jarmo

TC
Headliner

It's a free world. Take advantage...

« Reply #208 on: October 19, 2003, 02:23:54 PM »

i like love boat captain, do the evolution and breakfall best.

i feel love boat captain has real meaning for me at the moment..

GNFNRS
Bush-lover
Rocker

« Reply #209 on: October 19, 2003, 02:41:37 PM »

Found the cover art to Lost Dogs at Amazon.com:

A picture of the cover and inside of the MSG dvd is also now available at http://www.pearljam.com

/jarmo

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #210 on: October 22, 2003, 05:12:18 PM »

Today in Pearl Jam history:

1990-10-22
Off Ramp Cafe
Seattle, WA

Set: Release, Alone, Alive, Once, Even Flow, Black, Breath
Encore: Girl

That's the first show they played. Cheesy

/jarmo

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #211 on: October 23, 2003, 08:25:22 AM »

Vedder's Staley Tribute No Longer 'Lost'

A song Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder wrote about Alice In Chains frontman Layne Staley on the day of his death will be released on "Lost Dogs," the group's upcoming double-disc rarities collection. The track, dubbed "4/20/02," is not listed on the album but can be found several minutes after "Bee Girl," the last song on the set's second disc. "Lost Dogs" will be released Nov. 11 by Epic, the same day as the concert DVD "Live at the Garden."

"It was a real personal song [Vedder] wrote the night we all found out [Staley] died," Pearl Jam guitarist Stone Gossard told Billboard.com last year. "He stayed in there, didn't work on anything else, and worked this song up." Added guitarist Mike McCready, "he wrote it in the ukulele tuning, so it had this weird vibe to it, and it was sad."

In the song, Vedder lashes out at the singers of unnamed bands copying the style of Staley, who died after battling drug addiction for years. "So sing just like him, f***ers," Vedder sings. "It won't offend him / just me / because he's dead." The cut features only Vedder on vocals and guitar.

Because of its pointed lyrics and highly personal content, the track was ruled out for potential inclusion on Pearl Jam's 2002 album "Riot Act," according to Gossard. "The record overall has such a universal feel to it, much more so than some of our other records," he said. "Most of the songs are about bigger kinds of things. There was something about [the song] that felt like it maybe wasn't right for this particular record."

The rest of "Lost Dogs" is packed with surprises, such as alternate versions of the previously released B-sides and outtakes "Alone," "Wash" and "Hard To Imagine." Bassist Jeff Ament makes his Pearl Jam singing debut on "Sweet Lew," a nostalgic look back at NBA superstar Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, while Gossard takes the mic for the rocking "Don't Gimme No Lip."

As previously reported, Pearl Jam will play four benefit shows in the coming days: tonight (Oct. 22) in Seattle, Oct. 25-26 at Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit outside San Francisco and Oct. 28 in Santa Barbara, Calif.

Fifty pairs of the best seats for the Santa Barbara show, which quickly sold out, are being auctioned on eBay, with all proceeds going to benefit the Louis Warschaw Prostate Cancer Center at Cedars-Sinai hospital.

In other news, Pearl Jam has pacted with Apple's iTunes Music Store to offer paid downloads directly from its official Web site. The initiative was fostered by Apple's new software iTunes Link Maker, which allows site operators to generate direct links to the iTunes store.

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=2008112

/jarmo

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #212 on: October 24, 2003, 09:30:30 PM »

Today in Pearl Jam history:

1990-10-22
Off Ramp Cafe
Seattle, WA

Set: Release, Alone, Alive, Once, Even Flow, Black, Breath
Encore: Girl

thats 13 yrs ago this great band started
That's the first show they played. Cheesy

/jarmo

Cheesy
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #213 on: October 24, 2003, 09:35:03 PM »

Benaroya Hall setlist.._    Oct 23, 2003 at 2:11 AM

Tonight's show (10/22) at Seattle, WA:

setlist: Of The Girl, Low Light, Thumbing My Way, Thin Air, Fatal, Nothing As It Seems, Man Of The Hour, Immortality, Off He Goes, Around The Bend, I Believe In Miracles, Sleight Of Hand, All Or None, Lukin, Parting Ways, Down
encore 1: Can't Keep (Ed solo uke), Dead Man (Ed solo), Masters of War (Ed, Mike, Stone), Black, Crazy Mary, 25 Minutes To Go (Johnny Cash), Daughter/(You Know My Name)/(Hide Your Love Away)
encore 2: Yellow Ledbetter

notes: WOW!. Man of the Hour is a new song, written for the upcoming Tim Burton Movie, Big Fish. The Daughter tags are Beatles songs.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #214 on: October 29, 2003, 02:26:05 PM »

Famous Friends Give Pearl Jam A Lift

Pearl Jam welcomed a host of famous musical friends on stage last night (Oct. 28) in Santa Barbara, Calif., at a benefit for the Louis Warschaw Prostate Cancer Center at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. The group was joined by its former drummer Jack Irons, singer/songwriter Jack Johnson, veteran guitarist Lyle Workman, Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante, and Soundgarden/Audioslave frontman Chris Cornell for a rare reunion of the pre-Pearl Jam combo Temple Of The Dog.

"We didn't invite any of the sh***y friends," Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder joked during the first portion of the show, which featured acoustic renditions of the Ramones' "I Believe in Miracles" alongside the group's own "Immortality," the unreleased "Fatal" and the new song "Man of the Hour."

After Workman's appearance on Johnny Cash's "25 Minutes To Go," Pearl Jam ditched the unplugged format. Irons took over the drum kit for "In My Tree" and "Hail, Hail," two older songs clearly influenced by his style. Johnson dueted with Vedder on the whimsical "Soon Forget" and then remained on stage for "Better Man."

But the biggest surprise came in the form of Cornell, who was first granted a two-song solo acoustic set of "Can't Change Me" and Audioslave's "Like a Stone." He proceeded to reprise his duet with Vedder on Temple Of The Dog's "Hunger Strike" and a nearly 10-minute version of the group's "Reach Down."

Frusciante plugged in for encore runs through the Ramones' "Daytime Dilemma" and another stab at "I Believe in Miracles." The entire cadre of guests returned for a show-closing, six-guitar collaboration on the Byrds' "So You Wanna Be a Rock'n'Roll Star."

All of the additional artists necessitated a longer-than-usual soundcheck, which was still in progress when the gates to the venue opened. "Chris just came down today to rehearse," Pearl Jam guitarist Mike McCready admitted to Billboard.com of the Temple Of The Dog reunion. "We haven't played these songs with him since one show on the 1992 Lollapalooza when Eddie was sick."

The Santa Barbara show capped a week-long, four-show run of acoustic charity concerts in Seattle and outside San Francisco.

-- Jonathan Cohen, L.A.

http://www.billboard.com

---

Acoustic setlist: I Believe In Miracles, Nothing As It Seems, Immortality, Fatal, Thumbing My Way, Small Town, Man of the Hour, Nothingman, Crazy Mary, Last Kiss, 25 Minutes to Go (w/ Lyle Workman)

Electric setlist: Love Boat Captain, Black, In My Tree (w/ Jack Irons), Hail Hail (w/ Jack Irons), Save You

encore 1: Soon Forget (Ed on uke, Jack Johnson on guitar), Better Man/(I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend[w/ Jack Johnson]), Can't Change Me (Chris Cornell Solo), Like a Stone (Chris Cornell Solo), Hunger Strike (w/ Chris Cornell), Reach Down (w/ Chris Cornell)

encore 2: Daytime Dilemna (w/ John Frusciante), I Believe in Miracles (w/ John Frusciante)

encore 3: So You Wanna Be A Rock N Roll Star (w/ EVERYONE)

yes

/jarmo

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #215 on: October 30, 2003, 05:46:07 AM »

i am so jealous of everyone that was able to be there i hope there was someone recording or they make this an offical release
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #216 on: November 05, 2003, 03:30:10 PM »

Pearl Jam Chats Up Its 'Lost Dogs'

by Jonathan Cohen

Pearl Jam is closing out its decade-plus association with Epic with a bang. On Nov. 11, the label will issue the double-disc, three-and-a-half-hour DVD "Live at the Garden," as well as a long-in-the-works double-disc rarities set, "Lost Dogs." Pearl Jam fulfilled its Epic contract with the 2002 album "Riot Act" and is weighing its options for a new deal.

The 31-track "Lost Dogs" features 11 songs that have never been released in any form, encompassing outtakes from throughout the band's career. Among them are potent doses of Pearl Jam's harder-hitting side such as "In the Moonlight," "All Night" and "Hold On," the anthemic "Sad" and the slow-burning, acoustic-driven "Fatal."

Also included are perennial fan favorites such as "Yellow Ledbetter," "Last Kiss," "Wash" and "Footsteps," as well as "Hard To Imagine," which was recorded for potential inclusion on several Pearl Jam albums but previously only available on the 1998 "Chicago Cab" soundtrack. The band's frequent benefit album contributions are represented by "Leaving Here," "Gremmie Out of Control" and "Whale Song," while cuts like "Let Me Sleep," "Drifting" and "Strangest Tribe" are drawn from the annual holiday singles for members of its Ten Club fan organization.

Having just wrapped a four-show run of acoustic benefit concerts, the group will have a recently penned new song, "Man of the Hour," included in the upcoming Tim Burton film "Big Fish." Pearl Jam will now take several months off to relax and work on various side projects. The Seattle-based quintet plans to regroup in April or May, possibly to begin work on a new studio album.

In an exclusive interview, lead guitarist Mike McCready walked Billboard.com through some of his favorite "lost dogs," noting, "It's going to be tough for me to remember a lot of this. We have so many damn songs."

"This is a good compilation of all the rarities," he adds, "but we have vaults and vaults of this stuff."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yellow Ledbetter": One of Pearl Jam's most popular songs, despite only being released on an import single and never being worked to radio (it reached seven different Billboard charts in the mid-1990s). The slow, bluesy track features borderline indecipherable lyrics from frontman Eddie Vedder and is a frequent closer at the band's live shows.

Mike McCready: It's crazy. In Seattle, KISW had Pearl Jam's 99 top songs the other day, and "Ledbetter" was No. 5. I was just like, "Wow." That was written around the time of the first record [1991's "Ten"]. I think that was the second thing Ed and I wrote together. It came out of a jam in the studio and Ed didn't really have any lyrics. He came up with some ideas right there on the spot, and that's what we recorded. For some reason, it didn't make it on "Ten." I was kind of bummed at the time. I really wanted it to be on our first record. But at the time, I was really young and just happy to be around this situation, so I did whatever.

Back when we recorded it, we were playing short sets on Lollapalooza and stuff. We wanted to hit them with the really heavy, hard stuff, you know, bam and get off. At club shows, we'd do the record and something like [a cover of the Beatles'] "I Got a Feeling." It just kind of got put on the backburner. We in the band forgot about it. But when it came back up, it began to seem like a bookend at the end of the show.

Over the years, it has just gotten immense support, live specifically. People are just into it and they're singing it. I don't even know what the lyrics are! Depending on whatever is going through Ed's head that day, he will change them. It does happen all the time where he throws in a different verse. I watch people singing it and they're passionate, and that makes me totally excited and humble. It turned into something without us even trying.

? ? ?

"Last Kiss": A cover of a J. Frank Wilson & the Cavaliers song from 1964, originally released on the 1999 fan club single and later on the "No Boundaries" benefit album. Improbably, the track reached No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100, making it the biggest hit of Pearl Jam's career.

McCready: It originated from Eddie buying two singles, "Last Kiss" and "Soldier of Love," at the Fremont Antique Mall up here. He brought it in and we thought it was cool. It has a very '50s/early '60s vibe to it. We decided to record it at a soundcheck, and I think we only did both songs twice. We did it again that night at a show, but the version we did at soundcheck was better. We decided to keep that and then release it for the Kosovo relief fund. It just blew up. We had no idea.

It just proves over and over again, when people try to figure out what a hit is, whether they're in a band or they're an A&R guy, nobody has a clue, in my mind. It was so out of left field, it was like, "Wow, it is being played a lot and people are into it." It was the most bizarre thing for us, single-wise. It wasn't our song, just this cool '50s tragic kind of song. People keyed into it. We couldn't believe it.

? ? ?

"Dirty Frank": A humorous ditty penned on Pearl Jam's 1991 tour with the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Smashing Pumpkins, and clearly inspired by the Peppers' elastic brand of funk rock. It was released on a handful of early import singles and even played live as a lark at a handful of shows.

McCready: We had a bus driver at the time, this guy Frank, who we called "Dirty Frank" because we were scared of him [laughs hard]. We thought he may have been a serial killer and he was going to eat me. They were just picking on me. And at that time, I was the skinniest guy in the band so there wasn't a lot of meat on me [laughs]. We stole that middle part from the Peppers when we were opening up for them, which was one of the most fun tours we've ever done. It was so rad.

"Dirty Frank" reminds me of the whole world opening up in a new way I'd never experienced: going on tour, riding in a bus and opening for the Peppers. Sometimes [frontman] Anthony [Kiedis] would wear a Pearl Jam hat on stage and it was like, "Oh my god. That's the height of how big we're going to get." I couldn't f***ing believe that. I was so psyched. They were super cool to us. It was an amazing time. We just wanted to go out and slay it every night. Getting to go out on that tour was a total dream. It set a lot of our standards early on for how we wanted to treat bands that opened up for us. I have nothing but love for the memories of that time.

"Brother" (instrumental): An early candidate for "Ten," having made it as far as the rough mix of the album sent to Epic executives. The song disappeared from the Pearl Jam canon shortly thereafter and is presented here as an instrumental.

McCready: Well, "Brother" was a big point of contention between [guitarist] Stone [Gossard] and [bassist] Jeff [Ament]. I remember Jeff really loving it and Stone either not liking it or being indifferent about it. Jeff and Stone were arguing a lot about this song and were kind of mad at each other. Jeff got so pissed he went off and started dunking basketballs. It was like, "What's up, dude?" He got really pissed. He related this story to me recently.

It was the typical Stone goes one way/Jeff goes the other. That is just how they work. They have been together forever and the dynamic between the two of them makes things work. There was a big, heated argument. But I thought it was a cool song with a cool vibe. It may have been an example of mid-tempo-itis. I recall the big argument between the two. Jeff said it was almost like he was going to quit. It was serious sh*t. When it came back up recently, they didn't argue, but it was kind of a reliving in a way smaller way. Stone was still not into it. Ed didn't really like the original lyrics. He was like, "Hey man, if you want, go in and put some guitar stuff on it." I didn't have really any idea what to do, but I went down and listened to it and thought I'd do some Brian May-style layered guitars on it. I guess this is a final chapter and a lyrical burial.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #217 on: November 05, 2003, 03:30:52 PM »

? ? ?

"Let Me Sleep": A holiday-themed track released in 1991 on Pearl Jam's first-ever holiday single for members of its Ten Club fan organization.

McCready: I think it was the first thing Ed and I ever worked on. I had just started messing around with open [guitar] tunings. I had this little part, the main riff, which I'd had for a couple years even before the band started. We just started messing around with it in the studio and it sounded kind of neat. It's one of those things that just happened. It's just a stream-of-consciousness kind of thing. It was really cold out, around Christmas time. It was my first insight into Eddie's socially conscious type of behavior and thought process. It was just when I was first beginning to get to know him. He was living in our rehearsal space [in] downtown [Seattle]. His lyrics were very dark, poetic and deep and touching. That was my first experience really listening to him on that kind of level.

? ? ?

"Down": A track McCready penned for Pearl Jam's 2002 album "Riot Act," featuring a strummy, major-key melody in the vein of the Replacements or Wilco. It was released as a B-side on the "I Am Mine" single.

McCready: I was excited about it but I wanted it to sound heavier than it actually did when we recorded it. I liked how it came out, but it just didn't work with the rest of the record. Even I had to admit it, but I didn't want to. It was relegated to B-side-dom. Originally it was supposed to be more of a crunch-type thing. It just came out a little bit lighter than I thought. But people seem to dig it when we play it live. I'm proud of it. I like the song.

? ? ?

"Alone": A mid-tempo rocker written very early in the band's existence by guitarist Stone Gossard. It was attempted during sessions for Pearl Jam's first two albums, "Ten" and "Vs," but only ever released as a B-side on the 1993 "Go" single.

McCready: Eddie did sing new lyrics on that, as of recently. The guitar solo I think is a slide with a bottle. It just never really worked but I don't know why it didn't. I have a videotape of us from years ago, at like our third show, playing "Alone." It was actually sounding pretty cool, but we just stopped playing it after awhile. I think it's a really good song [he hums the riff]. For the first record, it may have been too mid-tempo, along with "Alive" and other songs that were of that same vein.

? ? ?

"Fatal": An outtake from the 2000 album "Binaural," marked by a melancholy acoustic melody. The song was recently played live for the first time at a Seattle benefit concert.

McCready: "Fatal" is a really cool song. Stone wrote that. He sang on the original demo. It sounds very Bowie-ish when he sings, I think. It's just kind of a dark tune. I think he writes a lot of songs that are like that now. I know he writes a ton of stuff on acoustic and he experiments with different tunings. It's just kind of where his mindset is. [In recent years], he'll bring in those songs as opposed to the heavy riffs like "Animal." Stone has always been pretty dark but he's also super funny. There's a mixture of those two kinds of things.

? ? ?

"Footsteps": This early acoustic rarity was recorded May 11, 1992, on the national radio show "Rockline." A different version of the song, dubbed "Times of Trouble" and featuring lyrics sung by Chris Cornell, was released on Temple Of The Dog's self-titled debut album in 1991.

McCready: This is taking me back. "Footsteps" dates back to when Stone and I first started playing together. That was originally a song written for [pre-Pearl Jam act] Mother Love Bone. I know it was. It wasn't called that; it was just that riff. He showed it to Cornell during Temple and Cornell sang "Times of Trouble" over it. I believe it was a working title [late Mother Love Bone frontman] Andy [Wood] had for that song.

? ? ?

"Gremmie Out of Control": An endearingly off-the-cuff cover of a Silly Surfers song from 1964, released on the 1996 "Music for Our Mother Ocean" benefit album.

McCready: I'm not even on that. [Producer] Brendan O'Brien is playing the lead guitar lick. I could not claim to play that great. That's Brendan O'Brien just making it happen. When I heard it, I was like, "We have to have this on here." It's Brendan kicking ass on the guitar.

? ? ?
"4/20/02": Written by Vedder the night it was discovered that Alice In Chains frontman Layne Staley had died after a long battle with drug addiction. The band was in the studio recording "Riot Act" at the time. The cut is a hidden track on some editions of "Lost Dogs."

McCready: That's Ed by himself. I got a call from [manager] Kelly [Curtis] that Layne died. We were in the studio at probably 11 at night. It was like, "Oh f***." I wasn't surprised, but I was. It was sad. I hadn't seen him for like three or four years. Ed has this guitar kind of tuned like a banjo. He recorded it at like 2 or 3 in the morning, just with [producer] Adam [Kasper]. I think he was just so angry and he wanted to get it out. I think the reason it's hidden is because he wouldn't want it to be exploitative. I think he wants it to be hidden so you have to find it and think about it.

http://www.billboard.com

/jarmo

GNFNRS
Bush-lover
Rocker

« Reply #218 on: November 10, 2003, 08:58:45 PM »

So, what is everyone's favorite Pearl Jam CD.  As of right now, although it often changes depending on my mood, it is definitely Yield.  No Way and All Those Yesterdays are absolutely amazing songs musically and lyrically.  I think all of their CDs are great, although i think Binaural was just a little bit below all of the rest... still pretty good though.  So what do all of you think?

Dot
Cute and sweet
Banned
Legend

please come back (to the band of hacks)

« Reply #219 on: November 10, 2003, 09:31:59 PM »

Ten could be everyone?s favorite, mine as well, but I also love the July 11th 2003 Boston show because they played looots of songs and most importantly: I was there ok

Riot act I like and it?s a good album but I like Binaural better, it has stronger tracks in my opinion.

Rock N? Roll is the answer!!!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 56 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: