Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 04:36:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228126 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Pearl Jam
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 56 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pearl Jam  (Read 258981 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #160 on: July 12, 2003, 03:06:46 AM »

that was your first show? wow aren't you lucky im jealous i've been to 3 and haven't seen one like that
Dot
Cute and sweet
Banned
Legend

please come back (to the band of hacks)

« Reply #161 on: July 12, 2003, 10:09:52 AM »

yes it was my first show, the bootleg is gonna be incredible, it seems they are gonna include the extra set.

Rock N? Roll is the answer!!!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #162 on: July 12, 2003, 10:14:02 AM »

So if I buy the three Boston bootlegs, I'll have every song they performed on this tour? Cheesy

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Dot
Cute and sweet
Banned
Legend

« Reply #163 on: July 12, 2003, 10:18:47 AM »

Well, they played around 96 songs total...so basically yes.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #164 on: July 12, 2003, 07:48:06 PM »

they played 85 original songs and 12 covers over the 3 days with only one unexpected repeat of yellow ledbetter cause the crowd was going insane last night and wouldn't leave so they played it so they knew it was over

here's alll 3 sets
boston 1
Oceans, Go, Hail Hail, Save You, Deep, Get Right, Dissident, I Am Mine, Even Flow, Help Help, Immortality, In My Tree, Light Years, Evacuation, Whipping, Grievance, Present Tense, Porch
enc 1: Thumbing My Way, Elderly Woman, Smile, State Of Love And Trust, Leaving Here
enc 2: Soon Forget, Bushleaguer, Fuckin' Up
boston 2
set: Release, Animal, Gods' Dice, Do The Evolution, Insignificance, Love Boat Captain, I Got Shit, Low Light, Rival, Lukin, Not For You, Daughter/(WMA)/(I've Been Tired), You Are, In Hiding, I Am A Patriot, Once, Rearviewmirror
enc 1: Driven To Tears, Corduroy, Soldier Of Love, Crazy Mary, Alive
enc 2: Baba O'Riley, Yellow Ledbetter
boston 3
PJ pre-set: Long Road, Of The Girl, Sometimes, Off He Goes, All Those Yesterdays, Drifting, Thin Air, Sleight Of Hand, Footsteps, All Or None, Parting Ways, Indifference
set: Can't Keep, Breakerfall, Brain of J, Spin the Black Circle, Ghost, Green Disease, Tremor Christ, Given To Fly, Nothing As It Seems, Cropduster, Faithfull, Why Go, Wishlist/(Why Can't I Touch It), Leatherman, Nothingman, Better Man, 1/2 Full, Untitled, MFC, Blood
enc 1: Breath, Habit, Down, Mankind, U, Black, Jeremy
enc 2: Arc, I Believe In Miracles, Know Your Rights, Fortunate Son, Rockin' in the Free World
enc 2: Yellow Ledbetter
last nights show with pre set was 3hrs 40mins their longest ever beating state college by 15 minutes
TJENZLXV
Headliner

Keep on rockin' in the freeworld!

« Reply #165 on: July 13, 2003, 08:50:07 AM »

So if I buy the three Boston bootlegs, I'll have every song they performed on this tour? Cheesy

/jarmo

Damn close.  They have played 105 songs on this tour.  The three Boston shows covered 96 or 97 songs.

That's what the Internet is for, slandering others anonymously.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #166 on: July 15, 2003, 06:25:14 AM »

one little note arc is not on the boston 3 bootleg just like its not on any other bootlegs of shows it was played at
Dot
Cute and sweet
Banned
Legend

« Reply #167 on: July 15, 2003, 03:39:30 PM »

I didn't notice that until now, I got the mp3 link and I'm listemimg to it and it's great, the crowd was so much into it, the "betterman" sing along was great and "black" and "jeremy" too. Can't wait to have that sweet bootleg in my hands.

Dot
Cute and sweet
Banned
Legend

« Reply #168 on: July 21, 2003, 03:31:53 PM »

I just got my Boston 3 bootleg!!!! fuckin ' cool, 3cds and all, I can even hear my screams on it [beer]

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #169 on: July 21, 2003, 06:01:46 PM »

really? how close were you?
Dot
Cute and sweet
Banned
Legend

« Reply #170 on: July 22, 2003, 12:39:47 AM »

Fairly close...during yellow ledbetter people(myself included) started to jump the chains and walls that divided the sections just to get closer to the stage.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #171 on: July 22, 2003, 05:23:40 AM »

cool i wish i had been there to witness such a great show
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #172 on: July 23, 2003, 04:25:43 PM »

Billboard (newspaper) July 26, 2003 Issue

Curfew Schmurfew!
When Pearl Jam passed the two-hour mark during its first of two shows at New York's Madison Square Garden last week, the enduring rock act seemed unfazed that it was disregarding the venue's curfew - especially after frontman Eddie Vedder, right, got word that only three times previously had the Garden stage shook as violently (during shows by the Grateful Dead, Iron Maiden and Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band).  Launching into the final third - which saw the band joined by Ben Harper - Vedder said the extension would cost Pearl Jam $14,000 and asked the crowd to keep the energy coming.  The concert clocked in at slightly less than three hours and included 30 songs.  In the end, the band's penalty was waived by promoter Clear Channel and the Garden. (Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com)

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #173 on: July 28, 2003, 02:34:17 PM »

From Rumor Pit #55:

Pearl Jam Rarities Album Update...

Yes, like all good Pearl Jam projects, this too is still incubating. The as yet unnamed double CD has a tentative release time of -- hopefully around Christmas now. There's no tracklist yet and it's been in the works for a while but we're sure it's going to be worth the wait.

--

PEARL Rumor: There is going to be a DVD again along the lines of Touring Band 2000 of the 2003 tour.
 JAM Fact: We're working on it.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #174 on: July 29, 2003, 11:45:10 AM »

Posting Note:  I broke this interview down into three parts and I?ll scan and post the two pics when I get a chance.

BANG (mag) July 2003 Issue

STORMY VEDDER

PEARL JAM MAY HAVE BEEN USURPED BY A GENERATION OF WANNABES AND PLAGIARISTS, BUT THEY CAN STILL CAUSE A MEDIA STORM WITH A HARMLESS RUBBER MASK.  DAVID FRICKE MEETS MAINMAN EDDIE VEDDER, AND FINDS HIM READY TO OPEN UP FOR THE FIRST TIME ABUT THE FANS CRUSHED TO DEATH IN ROSKILDE, THE CONTRADICTIONS OF FAME, AND HIS FLEETING TRUCE WITH KURT COBAIN.

?This is a public service announcement ? with guitars!? bellows Eddie Vedder in a hoarse rage, leading Pearl Jam into a savage encore cover of The Clash?s ?Know Your Rights? at the Lakefront Arena, New Orleans.  Gripping the microphone with both hands, as if for dear life, Vedder belts out the third verse with atomic indignation:  ?You have the right to free speech except/Of course/If you?re dumb enough to actually try it.?

Vedder know whereof he sings.  A week earlier in Denver, he donned a George Bush mask for ?Bushleaguer,? a song from the band?s latest album, Riot Act.  Newspapers and radio stations nationwide reported that more than two dozen offended fans ?walked out? after Vedder ?impaled? the mask on his mic stand.  Pearl Jam?s office in Seattle received a torrent of threats.  ?Emails and phone calls in the hundreds,? Vedder says over coffee and cigarettes the day before the New Orleans show, ?enough that were fairly strange.  We?re still a band ? what we offer is music,? he insists.  ?But anyone who knows us,? Vedder notes without apology, ?would not be surprised by anything I said or did.?

DF:  Describe exactly what you did with the George Bush mask and the mic stand.
EV:  ?It was our first show since the war started.  I come out with the mask on and do a dance, a little moonwalk, to let people see George Bush with rhythm, being free.  But I can?t sing through the mask.  So I take the mask off, take the mic off the stand, and set the mask on there.  I have to be gentle because I want the mask facing forward.  Then I sing to him.  Somehow, this was interpreted as ?impaling?.  I always have rubber masks around.  I did it with Clinton.  I?ve been told, ?Where were you when Clinton was bombing Iraq?? I was critical then, too.  In rock?n?roll, I should be able to do whatever I want ? run around with a 16-inch dildo on my head.  This was a rubber mask, mock theater.  A close friend of mine, who?s hardcore right, said, ?It?s too sensitive.  You can?t do it during time of war.?  But if you can?t be critical of a president during a time of war, doesn?t that encourage him to be at war??

DF:  Did you see anyone leave while you did your dance?
EV:  ?I saw people enjoying themselves.  I didn?t hear boos.  It was written that dozens of fans left, out of 11,000, because they were upset by the rubber mask.  It could also have been said that 10,900 had a great time.  But once the story hit the right wing talk shows, it was on fire:  I was unpatriotic, un-American; I should move to Iraq and make my music there; after the concert, I rode home in my limo, counting my millions [laughs].  That was something Jeff [Ament, PJ bassist] read.  And it was funny:  I was counting my millions.  I was counting the millions of dollars we had given out, going over a list of charitable contributions, things the government should be taking care of:  housing for unwed mothers, educational programs.  And it wasn?t a limo.  It was a van.?

DF:  Does that make you angry, to be demonized for having both money and opinions?
EV:  ?They insinuated that you?re privileged, and because you?re privileged you don?t have the right to speak out.  Who?s more privileged than the son of a president?  In the 2000 election, someone asked Bush, ?Do you have a favourite song??  He said, ?John Fogerty, that song, ?Put me in, coach, I?m ready to play? [?Centerfield?].  That?s me I like that.?  I?m staring at the TV, ready to smash a bottle through it:  You son of a bitch!  Have you never heard ?Fortunate Son???

DF:  What is a Pearl Jam show for you now ? entertainment, a pulpit, release?  Does the price of a ticket automatically include your personal politics?
EV:  ?Release is first ? for everybody.  We do it for ourselves, and it comes out for everybody.  We wouldn?t have to say a thing.  It?s not like our body of work is Shakespeare, by any means, but it can cover a lot.  I feel fortunate to have drums coming from behind me, a loud guitar in my hands and a big PA for my vocal, to get this stuff out.  I feel like a private citizen up there, who happens to be in a group.  But the pulpit should be handled responsibly.  It?s been all nonfiction books for me for the last two years, since September 11th, trying to figure this out for myself and understand where effective criticism could be directed. [Smiles]  If this was happening back in the Vs touring cycle, it might have been ?Fuck that motherfucking motherfucker?.?

(end of part one ?Stormy Vedder?)

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #175 on: July 29, 2003, 11:46:40 AM »

(part two ?Stormy Vedder?)

DF:  What was the first rock concert you saw?
EV:  ?My uncle took me: Springsteen at the Auditorium Theatre (in Chicago, 1977), in the last row.  It was a vinyl seat with hay coming out of it.  I thought it was the greatest time of my life.  It was a really long show, but I didn?t want to leave.  When all the lights came up, some people were still there, and I thought, ?He might still come out, right?  How cool would that be if he played for just the 15 people here??  I sat there for a half-hour, waiting.  I used to take tape recorders into shows and tape them.  I was mugged once on a train, on my way to work.  I got kicked in the head, bloodied, and they stole this little pack I had.  I had a perfect recording of Springsteen?s The River tour ? one of those few tapes where you didn?t miss a song or an intro ? and that was gone. [Sighs]  That?s when I broke down.  I came home, all rattled and battered.  I was living with my mother and brothers in a tiny apartment.  My mom and little brother were sitting at this picnic table we had in the kitchen, and my mom says, ?What?s the matter?  Are you on drugs??  And she hauls back and whacks me across the face [laughs].  It was one of the worst days of my life.  ?Can this get any more bizarre??  But my mom?s a strong woman.  She raised four of us with nothing.  We had some stuff for a while.  My stepdad was an attorney.  I was feeling semi-privileged.  Then things fell apart when I was 16.  I was real resentful at the time.  But in the end, it gave me better values and a strong work ethic.?

DF:  How did going from that kind of background to the high profile you enjoyed in the mid-90s affect you?
EV:  ?The hype of that time, of Seattle music ? it had tangible effects on everyone?s lives, Kurt [Cobain] being the most extreme example.  He was a fragile, individual as well.  But that was a lot to cope with.  I was freaked out.  I?d come from working solid jobs for eight or 10 years straight:  security at a gas station, security at a hotel, I was a waiter, did construction, I would work at a local club, loading in gear for no pay, because you wouldn?t have to get into the show?I was based in that reality.  A Time magazine cover with me on it ? that?s not real.

DF:  Why didn?t you enjoy it?
EV:  ?One of the reasons I was upset was because Kurt and I had talked about it.  It was one of our few phone calls.  They wanted to do interviews with us.  We talked about whether Time was co-opting our thing, and we both decided not to do interviews.  They put me on the cover anyway.  I was like, ?Oh, man, I hope Kurt?s not pissed abut this.?

DF:  He took a lot of shots at Pearl Jam for being a corporate rock band.  How would you describe the relationship you really had?
EV:  ?Small.  I?m glad there were a few times we had together, one in particular.  Eric Clapton was playing ?Tears in Heaven? at the MTV Awards [in 1992], and we slow-danced underneath the stage.  I?m glad I got that moment with him.  I had so much respect for him.  I was trying to stay out of the fray, so it was kind of up to him to lay down his arms.  That was symbolic for me.?

DF:  He did not survive the hype and stardom.  You did.  Why?
EV:  ?I can?t imagine going through that with a physical addiction.  I would zombie out, become super-withdrawn.  I imagine he had the same thing going on, but he had a whole other physical issue to deal with.  I could barely keep things together straight.  I couldn?t imagine doing it the other way.  After Denmark, my brain will barely allow me to smoke pot anymore.  I can?t keep it from going to dark places.?

DF:  By Denmark, you refer to the fans crushed in the mosh pit during your show at the Roskilde Festival in 2000.  There?s a song about it on Riot Act [?lost nine friends?two years ago today? ? ?Love Boat Captain?].  But you have not spoken publicly about what you saw that night.  When did you realize people were dying in front of you?
EV:  ?The second they were pulled over the front wall.  It was chaos.  Some people were yelling ?Thank you!?  Others, who weren?t in bad shape, were running up and saying ?Hi? [shakes his head in disbelief].  Then someone was pulled over, laid out, and they were blue.  We knew immediately it had gone to that other level.  There were still 40,000 people out there; they were ready for the show to start again.  The started singing, ?I?m still alive.?  ?Alive? was going to be the next song.  That was when my brain clicked a switch.  I knew I would never be the same.?

DF:  Did you consider ending the band?
EV:  ?This is hard. [Long pause].  We came together as close as we could.  People handled it in different ways.  The guys whose general disposition is more emotional ? they became more composed.  Whereas some of the people who are more conservative with their emotions ? they kind of cracked.  Stone [Gossard, PJ guitarist] became the most affected by it.  Stone was ready to close up shop.  And I thought that if anyone ever lost their lives at one of our shows, that would be it.  I would never play again.?

DF:  But a month later, you were on stage in Virginia Beach opening a U.S. tour.
EV:  ?Playing, facing crowds, being together ? it enabled us to start processing it.  I had written ?I Am Mine? [from Riot Act] the night before ? ?We?re safe tonight? ? to reassure myself that this is going to be all right.  But the killer was Sonic Youth opening for us.  That sealed it:  the power and majestic beauty of their sound and the people they are.  And Thurston [Moore] and Kim [Gordon] have a daughter, Coco, who took a shine to me.  She didn?t know what happened; there was no need for her to know.  But she would bring me a card; she drew flowers with smiley faces, and she would say she and I were the two flowers [laughs].  When she?s in her 20s, I?ll tell her how much that meant to me.?

(end of part two ?Stormy Vedder?)

GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #176 on: July 29, 2003, 11:48:10 AM »

(part three ?Stormy Vedder?)

DF:  How would you describe your personal life now ? off the road, away from Pearl Jam?
EV:  ?Surfing a wave a half-mile out to sea, where there?s no buildings on the land, just 2000-foot cliffs and waterfalls.  I?m usually way away, around people that don?t even know what rock music is.  There have been times when I?ve done a disappearing act, literally gone more than seven days without speaking a word.  The last time, Jack Irons [friend and ex-Pearl Jam drummer] called me on the phone, I answered, and he asked if something was wrong, because I couldn?t get my mouth to work [smiles].?

DF:  How do you feel about Pearl Jam?s level of success now?  In 1993, Vs sold more than a million copies out of the box in the US.  Riot Act sold a tenth of that in its opening week.
EV:  ?We would be completely resigned to that.  However, there is a group of people making music that seems to be very derivative of our first record [smiles].  And they are doing incredibly well ? with much less raw talent to work with.?

DF:  Would you like to mention some names?
EV:  ?They know who they are.  I?ve heard a few of them ? it?s part caricature, part karaoke.  I guess we should be flattered, because they must have heard this stuff and been influenced by it.  I just wish it was better.  It?s purity that I?m missing in those bands.  To walk in a room and see people with just bass, drums and guitar, and to have it be such an experience:  That?s one of the tings you live for.?

DF:  If rock is no longer a vehicle for free speech, what good is it?
EV:  ?It?s still going to sell records and soap and Coke, if you just jump into bed and play along.  There?s going to be people who take the job:  get the perks, do the commercials.  There?s not going to be any job openings.  I guess there?s a bit of arrogance that goes along with feeling we can say whatever we want, play whatever we want, in front of 11,000 people.

Denver was a shock:  We could have our lives ruined, just by going about things the way we?ve always done them.  Ultimately, I think of the line in [Neil Young?s] ?Rockin? In The Free World:  ?Don?t feel like Satan but I am to them/So I try and forgive ?em any way that I can.?  I?m even looking to forgive George Bush in my heart ? to send love and faith that we can bury this doctrine of pre-emptive action in Iraq and leave it there.?

End quote.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #177 on: July 29, 2003, 01:16:38 PM »

Interesting article, thanks for posting it.  [ok]

/jarmo

GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #178 on: July 29, 2003, 08:32:29 PM »

These are the two pics of Eddie Vedder from the BANG magazine interview.

Pictures:  Martin Philbey / Redferns

GNFNRS
Bush-lover
Rocker

Yes, evil does have it's honest side and it's called Slash

« Reply #179 on: August 02, 2003, 06:46:08 PM »

For those of you in Europe, the Rumour Pit also said they are considering a tour over there next year.

We're just jerk-offs like everybody else
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 56 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: