Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 06, 2024, 01:53:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228155 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  GNR without Axl Rose
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR without Axl Rose  (Read 18683 times)
Tomorrows
VIP

Stick to your guns

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2006, 07:01:13 PM »

This is turning into should Axl call the band GNR. A sure way for this topic to be locked or into the dead horse section.

Its inevitable itd go there - or to the old GNR v VR debate.
masterv
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2006, 10:00:38 PM »

Slash, Duff and Matt would never have called their new band Guns N' Roses.
If anything, those guys are decent enough to realize that FAB Five is no more.
However, them owning the name and copy right would have ensured more sane and businee like attitude towards the catalogue. For example, they wouldn't be as stupid as Axl was to pass up the opportunity of having Welcome to the Jungle in Ridley Scott movie Blackhawk Down. Can you imagine how much money has Axl lost on it?
I don;t like sell outs, but to me at least, having a song played in an Oscar nominated and probably winning movie does not constutute a sell out.
Even if Axl does legally own the right to the name, morally he has no righ to use Guns N' Roses for the new band he is fronting. I have a huge respect for him as a singer and frontman, and GNR are my favourite band.
I know that Robin Finck and Ron Thal are awesome musicans, but they would be awesome musicians for something like Axl Rose Band, Hollywood Rose, Anything Rose, whatever.
If Mick Jagger kick out Keith Richards and others from Stones, and buys the name, no one in the world expect him to tour under Stones name.
Otherwise people would see him as traitor.
When Vince Neil tours solo, as he does in this moment, he doesn't use Motley Crue name.
I know I will be blasted for this, but I can't please everyone.
GNR are my favourite band, Axl is my favourite singer, but unfortunately it is no more. 
If Axl comes to Toronto, I would prolly go see him, but I will never accept this group as more than Axl + 7 or whatever musicians.
pebbles
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2006, 11:03:54 PM »

As we all know, everyone is in support of Axl Rose and the new GNR.? But here's one thing I've always wondered.? Would we still support the band if Slash, Duff and Matt had kicked Axl out, bought the rights to the GNR name and kept the band going with a new singer?? Some argue that Axl Rose is not Guns N' Roses while some think it's ok.? On the flip side, would it have been ok for Guns N' Roses to live on without Axl Rose as the front man?? Which scenario is better?? To this day, people out there associate Axl and Slash as the core of Guns N' Roses.

I'm curious to see what everyone thinks...
Axl Rose is the greatest frontman ever...without him there is no gnr
RoCoKiN
VIP

I am The Shackler in the Rye with Diamonds!!

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2006, 11:06:20 PM »

It's always been about Axl!

'...Oh, my distorted smile...'
gueli
Headliner

Rock and Roll Dudes!!!

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2006, 11:19:58 PM »

As the Classic Rock mag reporter wrote in the article about the leeds an london 2002 shows "There is only one irreplaceable member in Guns N` Roses and his name is W. Axl Rose"

This melody inside of me still searches for solution...
RoCoKiN
VIP

I am The Shackler in the Rye with Diamonds!!

« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2006, 11:22:43 PM »

Absa-fuckin'-lutely!

'...Oh, my distorted smile...'
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2006, 12:15:08 AM »

you can't have GNR without Axl Rose, but as we've seen you can have GNR without Slash or Duff. 
rocky
Rocker

These are the times of my bullshit life!

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2006, 04:39:20 AM »

In my opinion, without Axl GNR would have never made it big.  Thats means we (probably) wouldn't even know who Slash, Izzy or Duff even are.  Thats why I think its ok for Axl to use the name.  He made the band big, obviously with the help of the other three, but he was the one that made them a ledendary band, therefore its his band name to use (or ruin).

Skol Vikings
Stupid Head
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2006, 04:58:07 AM »

Van Halen is the only group who really pulled off changing lead singers & continued their success financially & artisticly. ?Eddie was really the driving force there, so it worked.

Axl is more associated with GNR than any other member, so I don't think so. I like VR, but you can't really consider VR any form of GNR since Weiland has his own style.
What about AC/DC? Back In Black is awesome. Not to mention, its the worlds second biggest selling album of all time!
codenameninja
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2006, 05:36:13 AM »

Guns N' Roses without Axl = Nothing

...and Gn'R without Slash is not as good as Gn'R with Slash  beer
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2006, 05:51:18 AM »

...and Gn'R without Slash is not as good as Gn'R with Slash? beer

Absolutely correct

'Once there was this rock n' roll band rolling on the street, time went by and it became a joke'.
supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2006, 07:26:05 AM »

we have gnr without slash and duff so why wouldn't it be possible to have gnr without axl.

but as far as the direction the music has taken i preffer the music done by axl. i don't care if he would've called it gnr or not.

the original poster asked if we'd still support the band if they'd kicked axl out. that's impossible to say. what do u mean by support? i bought contraband and played it a lot and i like it. if i had the chance to go to a show i would. but i like better the songs that axl put out.

we're all here because at one point something that those 5 guys did went straight to our hearts. and now everybody makes choices and says stupid things like slash is better than axl or axl is better than slash. fuck that. i know that all these guys wrote all the songs i listend to all these years and if they chose to go separate ways, it doesn't matter who kept the name but, as far as i'm concerned, i'm relating more to the songs i've heard from axl.

Axlative
Rocker

All Better now!

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2006, 07:33:26 AM »

...and Gn'R without Slash is not as good as Gn'R with Slash  beer

Absolutely correct

I'm kind of with this one too, but I'd refrase and say GNR without Slash can't be compared.

Even with his playing, Slash was more of an image thing for GNR. He has an unique sound, but so do many other guitarists (i.e. that part is replaceable). His image, however, was/is totally beyond any guitarist ever. Not to undermine the relevance of that, but it doesn't contribute to the music at all. And music is what it's all about.  yes

Whereas Izzy was 100% musicianship and was therefore the biggest single roster loss GNR ever suffered!
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2006, 07:38:21 AM »

...and Gn'R without Slash is not as good as Gn'R with Slash? beer

Absolutely correct

I'm kind of with this one too, but I'd refrase and say GNR without Slash can't be compared.

Even with his playing, Slash was more of an image thing for GNR. He has an unique sound, but so do many other guitarists (i.e. that part is replaceable). His image, however, was/is totally beyond any guitarist ever. Not to undermine the relevance of that, but it doesn't contribute to the music at all. And music is what it's all about.? yes

Whereas Izzy was 100% musicianship and was therefore the biggest single roster loss GNR ever suffered!

Slash was not about the image. It just so happened he was an amazing guitarist who wrote killer GNR songs whilst also having a great image.

Izzy was a major blow to the band when he left thats undisputed. Why hes touring with this line-up though is beyond me. Must have a new album out soon.

'Once there was this rock n' roll band rolling on the street, time went by and it became a joke'.
Catt
Headliner

Do as you got to, go your own way

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2006, 07:39:51 AM »

As we all know, everyone is in support of Axl Rose and the new GNR.  But here's one thing I've always wondered.  Would we still support the band if Slash, Duff and Matt had kicked Axl out, bought the rights to the GNR name and kept the band going with a new singer?  Some argue that Axl Rose is not Guns N' Roses while some think it's ok.  On the flip side, would it have been ok for Guns N' Roses to live on without Axl Rose as the front man?  Which scenario is better?  To this day, people out there associate Axl and Slash as the core of Guns N' Roses.

I'm curious to see what everyone thinks...

Neah....wont be GNR without Axl's voice. But still it would be a great band peace

Steel_Angel
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2006, 08:56:42 AM »

"Axl Fucking Rose is the heart and soul of GnR. New GnR kicks the fucking shit out of Velvet Revolver."

beer sad (for slash fans) but true.
Axlative
Rocker

All Better now!

« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2006, 09:16:36 AM »

Slash was not about the image. It just so happened he was an amazing guitarist who wrote killer GNR songs whilst also having a great image.

And that's why his bands have released GNR-quality material for over a decade now...  Shocked
Origen
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2006, 09:20:16 AM »

"Axl Fucking Rose is the heart and soul of GnR. New GnR kicks the fucking shit out of Velvet Revolver."

It isn't true it's just your opinion, which I don't regard highly at all.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2006, 09:35:32 AM »

and anyone who wuld say otherwise clearly is tone deaf or just has horrible taste in music  smoking
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2006, 09:35:44 AM »

And that's why his bands have released GNR-quality material for over a decade now...? Shocked

Of course it wont be up to old GNR standards, GNR was a sum of its parts.

How many albums have 'GNR' or Axl released in 10 years?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: