Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 09:03:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228115 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  2006 mtv music awards (if they do it.........what should/will they play ?)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2006 mtv music awards (if they do it.........what should/will they play ?)  (Read 10668 times)
You Gonna Eat That?
Rocker

Mada-Gaz-car

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2006, 07:46:17 AM »

If I was Axl I'd do 3 perfromances on the night. Open the show with Jungle, then close the show with first single (Better!) and PC.

And I think it's a given they won't do it without an album on the way.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 07:48:11 AM by Fire Away » Logged

Dave Mustaine discusses the origins of the name of his band, Megadeath: "The band's name means the act of dying, but, like, really mega."
Outtagetme
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2006, 09:07:48 AM »

I don't think MTV is as important as it was when our band was on top in the early 90's.  Therefore, I don't really give a shit if they play MTV or not.  I would rather see a performance on the Grammy Awards (whenever that is).  It's apparent that MTV is turning its back on Axl and probably has the feeling that they gave him his chance and he blew it.

I'm starting to think that they will play a lot of Hammerstein sized venues if their NA tour is only lasting from the end of September to December.  These will all be instant sell outs, people will be pissed because they couldn't get in or didn't know they were coming, and then they can come back in the spring and sell out the big arenas touring behind a new album.  I think this is how it will go down, with the exception of probably a few big market arenas along the way.  CC still may think the large scale shows are too much of a risk in the states. 

I just don't think that MTV will be a part of the comeback.
Tomorrows
VIP

Stick to your guns

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2006, 09:46:08 AM »

Id say Better > a short Thal shred solo > a new song.
they need to playold songs because the only people who know the knew are who have seen new gnr or have got em off the internet, so the "haters" wont know them, this genrally wont impress them, i know the first time i heard better i thought it was crap, i love it now though. but if its on the mtv awards then they genrally wont wanna hear a new song without an old one aswell. they'd need to open with wttj, but scom would work reeally well with that audience, then a new one, like better because better i think is a good one for peopel who dont know it to hear out of the cd lot. i like the solo idea though, to show that gnr can still have great guitar without slash.

I think a solo would go over well. Ron Thal is the kind of guitarist who looks pretty modest but could blow the fuck out of people if he played a shred solo. Ive showed videos of him to people who know nothing about guitaristry and they have all been amazed.
sjgotnitro
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2006, 10:01:28 AM »

Come on poeple please forget about medleys and 2002. IF they were to play they need to play the first single what ever that maybe, something that is acceptable to a broad spectrum of people. And play the shit out of it. Start to finish. Second of all peopel are still in shock over the the freakshow that was on stage in 2002. Forget the damn reunion crap especialy with the fruit with a chicken bucket on his head.

This is guns n roses not some circus act  In 2006 they look and act like GNFR  once again and that is how it should stay.

Help Needed

Looking For Video
"Hershey PA. June 1991"
gin hotel
Banned
Rocker

Blind Melon - Chinese Democracy?

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2006, 11:02:19 AM »

Come on poeple please forget about medleys and 2002. IF they were to play they need to play the first single what ever that maybe, something that is acceptable to a broad spectrum of people. And play the shit out of it. Start to finish. Second of all peopel are still in shock over the the freakshow that was on stage in 2002. Forget the damn reunion crap especialy with the fruit with a chicken bucket on his head.

This is guns n roses not some circus act? In 2006 they look and act like GNFR? once again and that is how it should stay.
best post ive read all day

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2006, 11:07:52 AM »

This is guns n roses not some circus act? In 2006 they look and act like GNFR? once again and that is how it should stay.
best post ive read all day

agree ok
deanaxlrose
Rocker

Hey, where's my Avatar ?

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2006, 11:12:47 AM »

no more old song,Silkworm will kick ass ok.

ps:I mean,really kick Axl in the ass hihi.

My life is so Fuckin' Boring...Until The Chinese Democracy Comes.
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2006, 12:04:16 PM »

End the show with Better. That would be the best VMA's ever. Or they could close with IRS. But Better sounds like it rocks more.

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2006, 12:48:07 PM »

Start off playing SCOM , after first verse or chrous have all this static start up really loud , few thunder crashes , lights flash .. looks like sumthins wrong and then robin starts wailing the Better opening riff and bang "the hardest part this troubled heart..."

Then they could go into Stonehenge immediately after that.
JustWckd
Rocker

It happened in my lifetime!!!

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2006, 12:49:43 PM »

IF they do it and play any old song...in a medley or in full.....it will be a waste....

They need to do it and perform a new song...whether it be something we've heard or a brand spakin new one....

performing another cover would just be pointless....

12/27/11 Phoenix
04/08/16 Vegas!!!!
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2006, 03:33:04 PM »

They need to do it with the freakin' album out.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this tour can't go much past the end of this year without a new album before GnR start to really hurt their credibility. They've gained a ton of it back by getting out on tour and kicking ass, the longer we wait for an album the more chance they have of undoing anything good they've done this past summer.
badobsession81
Rocker

Forgive them that tear down your soul

« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2006, 03:49:24 PM »

If they are going to do it, then i think its a hard call.

Quite simply, there will not be an album by the time the VMAs hit us - its about a month away right? But, there could be a single on the radio? Even that is a slim chance though.

Bearing this in mind, if the singles out there being played then they play that. If not, then they can use the show to 'launch' the single (let MTV make a whole big deal about it being an exclusive airing of the new single.) But, at this stage I would still say they NEED to play an oldie. Just because there ain't enough exposure of new material for it to be a big success as the familiarity just won't be there. I think, as well as launching the new single, you'd need to remind people why they liked GNR before. But I wouldn't use an obvious oldie as this would be asking for abuse and comparisons (the classics are just too classic that theyd make whatever they are played alongside look lame - especially when not known). I'd use Nightrain, YCBM or It's so Easy or things like that that people know. Or even an illusion cover? Live and Let Die?

Anyone with my train of thought?

I hate it how I ramble! lol  confused

Back In Power
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2006, 04:10:47 PM »

Quite simply, there will not be an album by the time the VMAs hit us - its about a month away right? But, there could be a single on the radio? Even that is a slim chance though.

Bearing this in mind, if the singles out there being played then they play that. If not, then they can use the show to 'launch' the single (let MTV make a whole big deal about it being an exclusive airing of the new single.) But, at this stage I would still say they NEED to play an oldie. Just because there ain't enough exposure of new material for it to be a big success as the familiarity just won't be there. I think, as well as launching the new single, you'd need to remind people why they liked GNR before. But I wouldn't use an obvious oldie as this would be asking for abuse and comparisons (the classics are just too classic that theyd make whatever they are played alongside look lame - especially when not known). I'd use Nightrain, YCBM or It's so Easy or things like that that people know. Or even an illusion cover? Live and Let Die?

I hate it how I ramble! lol  confused

the people were reminded why they loved gnr often enough. they got a live era album, tokyo 1992 live on dvd, welcome to the videos dvd,  a greatest hits album, and 70+ (??) concerts with mostly the old material being played......

this time we need the NEW music.... noone cares about familiarity or crap like that...    playing an old song again destroys any credibity this band has from the beginning no

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2006, 04:35:55 PM »

I hate it how I ramble! lol? confused

the people were reminded why they loved gnr often enough. they got a live era album, tokyo 1992 live on dvd, welcome to the videos dvd,? a greatest hits album, and 70+ (??) concerts with mostly the old material being played......

this time we need the NEW music.... noone cares about familiarity or crap like that...? ? playing an old song again destroys any credibity this band has from the beginning no

Tokyo, Live Era, Welcome to the videos are all products for hardcore fans, if CD is to be a success then it needs to interest the mainstream of which the majority will not own these products, the only thing they might own from that list is GH.

On here there is a craving for new material which is understandable but the mainstream identify GNR by WTTJ, SCOM, PC, Patience and NR and the VMA's would be a great opportunity to integrate old and new. As long as they pull it off playing an oldie doesn't destroy any credibility they had at all. If they have the name GNR people will expect to hear those classics.

A performace with no new material would be pointless though, I think an oldie and then a new song (perhaps new single) would work fine, provided they nail them  ok

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
WARose
Legend

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2006, 05:36:05 PM »

Tokyo, Live Era, Welcome to the videos are all products for hardcore fans, if CD is to be a success then it needs to interest the mainstream of which the majority will not own these products, the only thing they might own from that list is GH.

it`s not about mainstream, it`s about people who once loved gnr...  some of those bought GH`s. that`s enough.  if they fall in love with the old gnr again, they`ll never accept the new band.

oh and don?t forget the 2002 tour    and now the tour in europe...... enough is enough ok

On here there is a craving for new material which is understandable but the mainstream identify GNR by WTTJ, SCOM, PC, Patience and NR and the VMA's would be a great opportunity to integrate old and new. As long as they pull it off playing an oldie doesn't destroy any credibility they had at all. If they have the name GNR people will expect to hear those classics.

i don?t agree with you. what do you want? a gnr that people love, because of the nostalgia, or a gnr that people love because there`s awesome new music? i don?t want gnr to become a band like the rolling stones ( a not so good example maybe..) or ...i don?t know.... motley crue.  i care about the new music.

if gnr is just a nostalgia act, axl definitely needs to get slash and co back to make it succesful, but if he decides to make new music with a new band he`ll succee that way too.

A performace with no new material would be pointless though, I think an oldie and then a new song (perhaps new single) would work fine, provided they nail them  ok

and old song followed by a new one is a better idea than just an old song to say the least. but if axl wants to be taken serious with his new project, or this new band`s project, he needs to make his own thing. otherwise people will say he`s living off the name, which slash and duff created as well. as i said before: he either has to get slash and duff back or he has to play the new material. i`m in for the latter peace

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2006, 05:59:06 PM »

Don't get me wrong unless Slash and co are present I don't want just nostalgia but I also think the classics need to be around to keep the general interest. I'm just thinking about how it will look on tv playing or song or 2 that nobody knows will keep the crowd reasonably flat they need something they know and then it them with the new. I'm not saying this should always be the case but without an album they need an oldie imo.

When they appeared at the 02 VMA's the main criticism was how Axl sounded not the song choices as far as I know, there will always be a thirst for the original GNR classics but clearly people want to see what Axl's been up to the past few years as well. I feel a bit of old and a bit of new is what's needed at this moment, show the world it's still GNR (of a sort) with an oldie but then play a kickass new song to show the world how good the new guys are.

They need some sort of promotion though, either play a new single or have an album release date but if they're going to play the VMA's for the sake of it then I would say don't bother.

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
WARose
Legend

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2006, 06:02:43 PM »

when do the vma`s take place by the way??

they could release a single and then play it at the vma`s......

A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2006, 06:04:56 PM »

when do the vma`s take place by the way??

they could release a single and then play it at the vma`s......

End of August I think, not sure the exact date though.

EFISH
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2006, 06:05:25 PM »

VMA's are August 31st.

It would be a smart move, (and reasonable) to have a release date a few days before the VMA's (and a single).. but atleast the release date.

All I know is though.. thats going to be one hell of an exciting day and if they dont play, be on hell of a disspointment.

33 days folks...
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2006, 06:07:08 PM »

IRS, Better, then the blues or twat. and make sure to nail them.

Don't sing the same songs but the new ones. Or, it would not worth an old song.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: