Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 05:35:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  UYI: The single disc that should have been (from RS.com)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: UYI: The single disc that should have been (from RS.com)  (Read 7963 times)
bazgnr
Legend

« on: July 27, 2006, 04:12:09 PM »

So I totally disagree with not only the concept of pairing the Illusion albums down to a single disc, but also with the choices that RS made (that's where opinion comes in, though, I know).  Personally, I'd want to see "Locomotive," "14 years," "KOHD," and "Don't Damn Me" on that list as well...

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2006/07/27/double-albums-that-could-be-single-discs-part-iv-guns-n-roses-use-your-illusion-i-ii/
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 04:16:49 PM »

1. Civil War
2. Dust N? Bones
3. Bad Obsession
4. Don?t Cry (Original)
5. Right Next Door to Hell
6. Bad Apples
7. November Rain
8. You Could Be Mine
9. Yesterdays
10. Pretty Tied Up
11. Garden of Eden
12. Estranged

No Coma? No 14 Years? No Locomotive? No Don't Damn Me? No DTJ? No Perfect Crime?

I'm not saying that an album with that setlist would suck, but we would have missed alot of fucking amazing tracks.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 04:17:04 PM »

That sucks. You can not take one single song out of the Illusions records. It just wouldnt be the same.
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 04:19:25 PM »

Personally, I'd be fine without "My World" and the alternate "Don't Cry," among a few others.  But there's no way I could cut the tracks down to a single CD...
MrBrOwNsToNeR
Rocker

http://www.myspace.com/pellostone

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 04:42:25 PM »

COMA ! PERFECT CRIME ! 14 YEARS !!!

damn ... this list suxxxxxxx

PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 04:44:57 PM »

Yeah leave off Coma.  It is only the best freakin rock song of all-time.  Whoever wrote that doesn't know enough about GNR music to be writing an article.

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
mlewis
Rocker

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 04:47:40 PM »

The problem with articles like this, is that many people consider UYI, rightly or wrongly, to have a lot of filler on. Trouble is that noone can agree on tracks they consider filler- things I love off UYI, like Bad Obsession or Don't Damn Me, or even Back Off Bitch, lots of pretty big fans don't get on with at all. This is why these 'ideal tracklist' threads keep coming and are discussed to death.

In a way it shows the strength of GnR and goes some way to explaining their popularity and the continued mainstream popularity of UYI- it shows the band's strengths as very diverse musicians and songwriters.
Negleyjj
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 05:36:27 PM »

The problem with articles like this, is that many people consider UYI, rightly or wrongly, to have a lot of filler on. Trouble is that noone can agree on tracks they consider filler- things I love off UYI, like Bad Obsession or Don't Damn Me, or even Back Off Bitch, lots of pretty big fans don't get on with at all. This is why these 'ideal tracklist' threads keep coming and are discussed to death.

In a way it shows the strength of GnR and goes some way to explaining their popularity and the continued mainstream popularity of UYI- it shows the band's strengths as very diverse musicians and songwriters.

Very well said.
Axl_GNR
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 05:46:25 PM »

RS list sucks.  Bad Apples and Dust & Bones are the worst songs on UYI 1.  I've made a UYI compilation CD before, which fits just under the 80 minute limit and here it is.

1. Live & Let Die
2. Don't Cry (Original)
3. November Rain
4. Civil War
5. Yesterdays
6. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
7. Breakdown
8. Pretty Tied Up
9. Locomotive
10. Estranged
11. You Could Be Mine

The big negative is that Coma doesn't fit

Scree
VIP

Waiting

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 06:16:01 PM »

Whoever wrote that list obviously knows fuck all about GnR. Coma especially, I mean come on.. if you had to choose one epic song from UYI it would have to be that.

RS.com: "we?re not dividing our Use Your Illusion playlist into sides, because vinyl albums had become pretty much vestigial by the early ?90s."

Well thats bullshit. These fucks are supposed to be on top of music trends... Last year compact disc sales where down while vinyl sales had gone up (along with online buys from iTunes and such).

Life is a strange thing. Just when you think you've learnt how to use it it's gone.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 06:47:54 PM »

The UYI set will always suffer from this. It has since the day it was released. It got rave reviews just about everywhere, but even the rave reviews complained about the length of the albums. I don't think anything should have been deleted, but they should have spaced the discs out. Release UYI I at the beginning of the tour in mid 91, and released UYI II in mid 92.

ROSE22
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 07:16:15 PM »

^ i agree ^ 
JB9988
VIP

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 08:12:12 PM »

Personally, I'd be fine without "My World" and the alternate "Don't Cry," among a few others.  But there's no way I could cut the tracks down to a single CD...
i like dont cry alt a little better then the first one

14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 08:21:37 PM »

I'm surprised Bad Apples is on the RS list as that is aside from My World the only track I was never that into.  I'd replace it with Dead Horse.  I agree that Coma should be on there and I'd replace Dust and Bones with 14 Years.  I'd also replace Right Next Door with Perfect Crime.

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 09:05:58 PM »

I think coma is over rated.
the song is not all that great.  Roll Eyes

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
Tomorrows
VIP

Stick to your guns

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 09:14:02 PM »

1. Civil War
2. Dust N? Bones
3. Bad Obsession
4. Don?t Cry (Original)
5. Right Next Door to Hell
6. Bad Apples
7. November Rain
8. You Could Be Mine
9. Yesterdays
10. Pretty Tied Up
11. Garden of Eden
12. Estranged

No Coma? No 14 Years? No Locomotive? No Don't Damn Me? No DTJ? No Perfect Crime?

I'm not saying that an album with that setlist would suck, but we would have missed alot of fucking amazing tracks.

As would any single disc UYI. Its fine as a 2 disc. Sure its got filler, but who cares now days anyway. You can pick both CDs up for $5.
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 09:25:50 PM »

RS list sucks.? Bad Apples and Dust & Bones are the worst songs on UYI 1.? I've made a UYI compilation CD before, which fits just under the 80 minute limit and here it is.

1. Live & Let Die
2. Don't Cry (Original)
3. November Rain
4. Civil War
5. Yesterdays
7. Breakdown
8. Pretty Tied Up
9. Locomotive
10. Estranged
11. You Could Be Mine

Sure it does, just get rid of knockin on heaven's Door? Wink
DunkinDave
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 09:56:45 PM »

RS list sucks.? Bad Apples and Dust & Bones are the worst songs on UYI 1.? I've made a UYI compilation CD before, which fits just under the 80 minute limit and here it is.

1. Live & Let Die
2. Don't Cry (Original)
3. November Rain
4. Civil War
5. Yesterdays
7. Breakdown
8. Pretty Tied Up
9. Locomotive
10. Estranged
11. You Could Be Mine

Sure it does, just get rid of knockin on heaven's Door? Wink

They should have just released it through the Days of Thunder soundtrack and not included it on UYI.

Imagine if "Oh My God" ends up on Chinese Democracy - it would be pointless since the song's been heard already.
WeHeldTogether
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 10:02:58 PM »

i don't know why you guys are like "OMG THIS LIST SUCKS, THIS GUY KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT GNR" when its all a matter of opinion so you can't really say that.  maybe the guy doesn't like Coma?
GNR estranged
Rocker

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006, 10:10:10 PM »

i think its pretty funny that a lot of people say the albums have a lot of filler on them, but everyones opinion of what the filler songs are differs.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: