Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 03:19:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  AMD buys ATI
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: AMD buys ATI  (Read 7098 times)
Neemo
Legend

« on: July 24, 2006, 08:04:26 PM »

http://www.amd.com/us-en/0,,3715_14197_14198,00.html?redir=goBG01

hihi now Intel and Mac are gonna support AMD by purchasing their product and NVidia is screwed

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 08:03:30 AM »

what does that mean to the common man?

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 08:15:52 AM »

roughly

means, 1 of 2 of the only CPU constructor married 1 of 2 of the only graphic cards constructor

Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 08:16:17 AM »

it'd be like KPMG marrying DELLOITE .... oh wait ! Smiley

Brody
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 08:25:29 AM »

http://www.amd.com/us-en/0,,3715_14197_14198,00.html?redir=goBG01

hihi now Intel and Mac are gonna support AMD by purchasing their product and NVidia is screwed

The initial Mac plan was to go with AMD but amd would not have been able to manufacture enough mobile cpu's.. I beleive in the future you will be able to buy AMD and Intel macs.. which will be an awesome thing.. Seeing how OS X is far more superior then XP.
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 09:36:08 AM »

Seeing how OS X is far more superior then XP.

dont wanna seem to be following you and disagreeing with you, but that's not true.
you cannot compare these two systems. they don't deal with the same design specification and objectives.
it's like saying a skateboard is superior to a tank.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 10:40:10 AM »

this is huge because AMD will be able to make the whole damn computer and everything will be totally compatible because it's one manufacturer instead of like 5 or 6 or whatever...as a result computers will get faster again and be way more efficient.

it's funny because alot of Mac's run off ATI video cards and Intel recently signed a deal or something with ATI to have them be a video card supplier.

AMD is a huge competetor against both those companies (AMD has like 35% of the market or whatever, Mac has like 5% and Intel basically has the rest) so now their competition is buying AMD hardware...ATI is the hugest video card supplier in the world i think so no intel has to look elsewhere or pay their competetors. I think AMD also owns dell or has a hand in there somewhere...next year will be huge for AMD and computer development

Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 10:46:06 AM »

this is will also negative aspect on computer dev.

video cards and cpu were on a different cycle, a parralel growth.

in some ways the data link and power between the 2 elements will be smoother, i fear that Video Cards evvolution will start matching the CPU ones, which are way slower.

i wonder if this collaboration will slow things down ....

and again, big companies getting together is never good. at least not for innovation.

Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 11:09:46 AM »

I wouldn't worry about that for a while. NVidia is still a big player in the videomarket, and as long as there's not an intel-nvidia, I hope that nVidia will keep the pace of videocarddevelopment pretty fast. And one must always remember that videocards are a relatively new product compared to processors, so it's to be expected that it takes a _lot_ of time before the developement of graphics cards slows down to the pace of processors. This is due to many factors which I'm sure most of you are aware of.

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 11:11:14 AM »

I think AMD also owns dell or has a hand in there somewhere...

AMD has absolutely no connection with Dell. In fact, Dell's allegiance to Intel (No Dell machines ship with AMD processors) is the reason that Intel will ship the new Core 2 Duo processor first to Dell and other OEMs and the remaining will end up on the market as box processors.

Fuck 'Em All.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 11:29:36 AM »

AMD has absolutely no connection with Dell. In fact, Dell's allegiance to Intel (No Dell machines ship with AMD processors) is the reason that Intel will ship the new Core 2 Duo processor first to Dell and other OEMs and the remaining will end up on the market as box processors.

I thought that Dell sells Alienware laptops now...which are AMD systems Undecided

NVidia and Intel don't get along i thought...but they will have to make ammends now i suppose hihi

I don't think this will slow things down if naything it'll bring it to a new level IMO...apparently ATI manufactures motherboards, RAM and Video cards (obviously hihi ) basically everything will be on one board...onboard everything but with upgradeable capabilities...IMO this is a fantastic move, but only time will tell

Brody
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 11:30:40 AM »

dont wanna seem to be following you and disagreeing with you, but that's not true.
you cannot compare these two systems. they don't deal with the same design specification and objectives.

Are you kidding me? I currently run both OS X and XP.. I also have many among many pc's  Why cant you compare these operating systems? Well you can.. The reason I say OS X is superior to XP is because it Litterally is.. Sure XP may be far more compatible with most software but, OS X is a hell of a lot more stable.. There are a lot of security risks with xp.. and I mean ALOT! I am by no mean an anti microsoft guy.. I used to think the same about os x until I studied and researched it for a long time and now came to my senses.. OS X is years ahead of xp.. 5 to be exact.. You obviously really have never taken the time out and used osx cause if you did you would know that osx runs on a x86 platform now.. the same that windows does.. seeing that it runs great on my intel mac.. alot smoother and better then my xp does.. have yet to freeze on me.. have yet to crash.. I will say I have been running vista on my mac and well its leaps and bounds above xp.. very similar to osx but cant quite tell until the beta period is over.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 11:34:27 AM by Brody » Logged
Brody
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 11:32:35 AM »

well the rumor was that dell had purchase contract with amd for a shitload of amd's mobile cpu's and thats why mac didnt take them.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 11:44:01 AM »

funny thing about Mac...Intel Processors, AMD video, Windows XP.... but it's an Apple Computer!! no seriously hihi j/k peace

Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 12:10:25 PM »

Are you kidding me? I currently run both OS X and XP.. I also have many among many pc's  Why cant you compare these operating systems? Well you can.. The reason I say OS X is superior to XP is because it Litterally is.. Sure XP may be far more compatible with most software but, OS X is a hell of a lot more stable.. There are a lot of security risks with xp.. and I mean ALOT! I am by no mean an anti microsoft guy.. I used to think the same about os x until I studied and researched it for a long time and now came to my senses.. OS X is years ahead of xp.. 5 to be exact.. You obviously really have never taken the time out and used osx cause if you did you would know that osx runs on a x86 platform now.. the same that windows does.. seeing that it runs great on my intel mac.. alot smoother and better then my xp does.. have yet to freeze on me.. have yet to crash.. I will say I have been running vista on my mac and well its leaps and bounds above xp.. very similar to osx but cant quite tell until the beta period is over.

dont wanna turn this into the new subject
but windows has to deal with many issues that osx doesnt.
most of the things OSX does, it does better than xp.
BUT, osx has to deal with a shorter range of electronics inside of the computer.
osx doesnt have the same design goals :  xp targets a wide range of users, while osx is most of the time talking to mac users (ie. the difficulty to switch to mac, some get used to it, some dont)

and the power of osx is hidden in its unix core anyway.

max ahead of windows ? hum. yeah in terms of flashing buttons and animated desktop. sure.
i'm no pro pc, no anti mac.
osx is just a very restrained, closed system, that works perfectly, but is very very narrowed and specific.

anyway.
i think it's a shame amd got to have ati.
we already lost the sound card thing, now the video cards ... wonder if intel and nvidia will get married Smiley

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 12:16:05 PM »

I thought that Dell sells Alienware laptops now...which are AMD systems Undecided

That's true. It's also true that although Dell owns Alienware, it functions as a separate arm. Dell kisses Intel's ass so much that they get exclusive deals. There supposedly will be a shortage of Core 2 Duo processors because Intel will only release to the market after Dell has had it's share.

well the rumor was that dell had purchase contract with amd for a shitload of amd's mobile cpu's and thats why mac didnt take them.

Don't know about that rumour. However Dell will start shipping AMD Opteron based servers later this year. It will be interesting to see how Intel reacts to that.

Fuck 'Em All.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 12:29:07 PM »

Dell will start shipping AMD Opteron based servers later this year. It will be interesting to see how Intel reacts to that.

They'll prolly cry and go look for another distributer...leaving Dell no option but to sell AMD stuff hihi

My buddy was telling me that everybody thought it was bizarre when XP 64bit was running support for AMD systems, but apparently windows has known about the sale for a while and seem excited about the possibilities that this AMD/ATI thing will create.

I'm under the impression that Intel had the opportunity to flood the market with processors to eliminate all competition but didn't...now AMD keeps adding to their sales and yesterday they grabbed ATI out of everyones hands...Intel must be kicking themselves now

Brody
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 12:41:32 PM »

dont wanna turn this into the new subject
but windows has to deal with many issues that osx doesnt.
most of the things OSX does, it does better than xp.
BUT, osx has to deal with a shorter range of electronics inside of the computer.
osx doesnt have the same design goals :  xp targets a wide range of users, while osx is most of the time talking to mac users (ie. the difficulty to switch to mac, some get used to it, some dont)

and the power of osx is hidden in its unix core anyway.

max ahead of windows ? hum. yeah in terms of flashing buttons and animated desktop. sure.
i'm no pro pc, no anti mac.
osx is just a very restrained, closed system, that works perfectly, but is very very narrowed and specific.

anyway.
i think it's a shame amd got to have ati.
we already lost the sound card thing, now the video cards ... wonder if intel and nvidia will get married Smiley

Dude Seriously.. Im not trying to belittle you at all.. but you have no clue in what your talking about when you say that OSX deals with a shorter range of electronics.. What does a PC have inside that A mac does not? I am a very familiar with PC's.. Built my first pc when I was 13 and well.. have been building them since.. The only difference between Pre Intel macs and PC's was the Architecture.. Now there is really no difference.. x86 architecture.. I mean the macs now Use EFI.. Which Vista now last minute made a smart move to support it.. 

Also Macs are very user friendly and easy to switch to.. My dad who is by no means a computer guru but long time windows user.. was able to switch to mac.. He bought a mac mini and loves it.
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 12:55:59 PM »

well.

for electronic X
mac deals with 3 model of that part
PC deals with 134567 models.
easy.

that's on the "hardware" part.
in terms of design. mac is straightforward and follow a very narrow range of specification.
windows is a huge blend of everything. standards, softwares ... windows tries to satisfy everything
i dont say it's better. i say it's harder. that's why it sucks sometimes.

i've been buidling pc's at 11 years old. that's not the point.

Brody
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2006, 01:33:39 PM »

well.

for electronic X
mac deals with 3 model of that part
PC deals with 134567 models.
easy.

that's on the "hardware" part.
in terms of design. mac is straightforward and follow a very narrow range of specification.
windows is a huge blend of everything. standards, softwares ... windows tries to satisfy everything
i dont say it's better. i say it's harder. that's why it sucks sometimes.

i've been buidling pc's at 11 years old. that's not the point.

95% of the Drivers and software applications are designed by 3rd party vendors not microsoft so... your wrong..
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: