Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 05:27:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228527 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Spears video groundbreaking? Mtv viewers think so....
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spears video groundbreaking? Mtv viewers think so....  (Read 4994 times)
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« on: July 24, 2006, 01:24:13 PM »

Madonna's "Like a Prayer" was voted the most groundbreaking video of all time in a survey by 24-hour music channel MTV, beating Britney Spears' "Baby One More Time" and Michael Jackson's "Thriller".

The top 10 "videos that broke the rules" was released on Monday ahead of an MTV broadcast of the top 100 videos on August 1 to mark the channel's 25th anniversary.

Three Madonna tracks appear in the top 10, with "Ray of Light" and "Vogue" in fourth and fifth positions respectively.

"Featuring burning crosses, statues crying blood and Madonna seducing a black Jesus, (Like a Prayer) even brought condemnation from the Vatican for its use of religious imagery," MTV said.

In sixth position were Michael and Janet Jackson with "Scream", followed by Robbie Williams and "Rock DJ" in which the singer appears to be peeling off his own skin.

More than 10,000 MTV viewers voted in the poll.

Top Ten Videos That Broke The Rules:

1. Madonna - Like A Prayer (1989)

2. Britney Spears - Baby One More Time (1999)

3. Michael Jackson - Thriller (1983)

4. Madonna - Ray of Light (1998)

5. Madonna - Vogue (1988)

6. Michael & Janet Jackson - Scream (1995)

7. Robbie Williams - Rock DJ (2000)

8. Eric Prydz - Call On Me (2004)

9. Jamiroquai - Virtual Insanity (1997)

10. Spice Girls - Wannabe (1996)

I've seen some bad lists but this is the worst - ground breaking? You do wonder at what MTV has done to an entire generation

As the dead kennedy's would say -'Mtv - get off the air!'

Quick! To the bandwagon!
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 01:40:34 PM »

hit me baby one more time? groundbreaking?

she danced around scantily in the same high school as they shot Grease in. Hardly an original idea to rip off Olivia Newton John......

...bah, yet another example of why democracy is ridiculous.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 01:40:56 PM »

3 Madonna videos, 2 Michael Jackson videos, Britney Spears and the Spice girls. Now that's a ground breakng combination.
MTV's a fucking joke. rofl

Fuck 'Em All.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 03:05:28 PM »

WTF?

Def Leppard shoulda got a nod for their ground breaking animation video..."Let's get Rocked" hihi

MTV has sucked since the big Gangsta Rap push

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 03:32:47 PM »

No Groundbreaking videos list is legit unless it has Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer high up on the list. A few others worthy of that list would be A-HA's Take on Me and Genesis's Land of Confusion.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 03:53:57 PM »

No Groundbreaking videos list is legit unless it has Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer high up on the list. A few others worthy of that list would be A-HA's Take on Me and Genesis's Land of Confusion.

What about Dire Straights - Money for Nothing...wasn't that the 1st video ever on MTV? that's pretty ground breaking IMO hihi

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 03:59:15 PM »

What about Dire Straights - Money for Nothing...wasn't that the 1st video ever on MTV? that's pretty ground breaking IMO hihi
You're right. Not the first video(Video killed the radio star was the first), but it was definitely ground breaking. I cant believe I forgot that one. beer

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 12:43:34 AM »

I don't know, to play devils advocate, that was a HUGE video at the time.  It ushered in a HUGE era of young/teenage girls getting dolled up to look super sexy.  In a way it allowed "having an image" to be cool again (ok so the Britster ain't that cool anymore, but is there any guy on this board that wouldn't have banged her after seeing that video??).  I don't know, I'm not looking at the video itself, but more as to what it meant to music video.

But #2 of ALL TIME?? hahahahahah hahahahahah no.  def not.

I don't know how Thriller isn't number 1 - NOBODY did videos like that until MJ did.  he set the bar so high for himself after that, it was almost impossible to keep making cool videos.  He did ok for a while, but then they just got DUMMMBBBBB.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Bono
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 12:49:49 AM »

Holy fuck! I'm not even pissed off about the other ones after seeing thsi one on the list. All this video was, was women doing areobics to it.
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 01:14:34 AM »

Agreed. This list like every list on MTV is laughable.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
judaskennedy
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 05:12:42 AM »

im so pissed at this-  no wonder no one with a brain can watch that crap.  why are they kissing madonnas ass so much? besides her best video is the one where shes all dressed up in leather and shes singing while being tied up to a chair (NOW THATS ART)
the last 4 are complete jokes
7. Robbie Williams - Rock DJ (2000) - yes a cool little video- but nothing special-  probably the only one on the list i can stand

8. Eric Prydz - Call On Me (2004)  this video broke so much ground-   imagine girls stretching and doing arobics while some perv in the back mouths the words-  this guy did'nt even write the damn song-  its a remix

9. Jamiroquai - Virtual Insanity (1997)  WHOA-  THE COUCHES ARE MOVING!

10. Spice Girls - Wannabe (1996)  the most ground breaking part of this video is when you see scary spice bouncing those titties--   the ground broke dudes
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 06:41:52 AM »

3 Madonna videos, 2 Michael Jackson videos, Britney Spears and the Spice girls. Now that's a ground breakng combination.

Have you ever even seen Jackson's videos? Roll Eyes

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 09:54:47 AM »

Have you ever even seen Jackson's videos? Roll Eyes

Yeah, what about them? The one where he crawls out of a grave? That's definitely 'ground breaking'...  hihi

Fuck 'Em All.
greendog
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 11:14:48 AM »

9. Jamiroquai - Virtual Insanity (1997)? WHOA-? THE COUCHES ARE MOVING!

Sorry, but Jamiroquai is fantastic, that video rocks!

Everything else is prety shit, however, MJ deservs to be there, and i suppose in a way Madonna, but im not a big fan of hers.
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 11:50:34 AM »

Where's Smack My Bitch up?  That weird Aphex Twin vid as well?  MTV's logic here I think sums up why there are certain issues in modern society.

They have no problem showing a girl jumping around a school like she wants to be fu(ked and Madonna aiming sex at kids (it's pop music remember, nothing more).  Then they deem Smack My Bitch Up (let's face it, someone at MTV would've suggested it) too hardcore because it shows a woman getting off her face and sleeping with with a woman in a perfectly adult scenario, for music that is more than just the 'teeny pop' of Madonna and Britmeisterand isn't aimed at kids.

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
SuperMike
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 12:05:39 PM »

Fuck MTV
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 02:38:54 PM »

All this video was, was women doing areobics to it.

You're right... it is an amazing video. 

I'm suprised MTV viewers would vote for Britney Spears and somehow land Jamiroquai in the Top 10.   Undecided
Gordi
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2006, 10:24:58 AM »

MJ's Thriller definitely...
What about Radiohead's Just video?
Or even The White Stripes Fell In Love With A Girl
Beck's Girl?

In fact how about any video by Michael Gondry, Chris Cunnigham, Spike Jonze... etc

I think MTV wants attention... what it needs is a sense of decency...
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2006, 12:48:47 PM »

Yeah, what about them? The one where he crawls out of a grave? That's definitely 'ground breaking'...  hihi

Nobody did it back then. Plus, it had like 30 minutes length. Jackson's videos are awesome, and really groundbreaking. Madonna?s too

However, this list is a joke. Britney Spears? What the fuck?

And where's that Fatboy Slim video, that had Christopher Walken on it? That was awesome
JohnMorrison73
Banned
VIP

CRIME SCENE SLUNK

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 12:54:40 PM »

this list has forgotten something!!! november rain-the crucifixe crys blood! why isn't it on there?

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: