Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 04:35:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228131 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Are "Nile" Taking The Piss?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are "Nile" Taking The Piss?  (Read 5047 times)
Evolution
« on: July 18, 2006, 07:20:56 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsN5SELFjr8&search=Nile

How can any record company accept this piece of work with that sorry excuse for vocals and release it?  no
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 08:47:53 AM »

Sounds like death vocals with a few grind moments thrown in. It's sound fine. You probably wouldn't like The County Medical Examiners.  Wink
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 09:30:28 AM »

rofl i did my fair share of hating for them a while back. vocals suck, welcome to todays music scene.

html sucks
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 10:34:47 AM »

What sucks about them? Sure, they're not Suffocation or Devourment, but the vocals are definitely deep and strong enough to quality as competent death metal vocals. Just because something isn't extremely deep doesn't mean it's weak. Possessed never had bullfrog vocals, and they're one of the most important death metal bands of all time.
Evolution
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 01:40:55 PM »

How can you possibly understand what he is singing about?  rofl
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 04:20:55 PM »

Well, you can't, unless you know ancient Egyptian.  Wink Nile sing their songs in the language of the ancients. You simply aren't worthy to hear it.

Besides that, it's simply death metal. You'll get used to it after a while. It's some of the finest music being made today, once you get over the shock of being overwhelmed by its awesomeness all at once. Plus, it's to encourage you to buy the damn album and get the lyrics!  Wink
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 06:05:07 PM »

Well, you can't, unless you know ancient Egyptian.  Wink Nile sing their songs in the language of the ancients. You simply aren't worthy to hear it.

Besides that, it's simply death metal. You'll get used to it after a while. It's some of the finest music being made today, once you get over the shock of being overwhelmed by its awesomeness all at once. Plus, it's to encourage you to buy the damn album and get the lyrics!  Wink

your joking...right?

html sucks
Evolution
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 12:06:44 AM »

You cannot seriously claim that you would be able to name over 30% of the lyrics to that song after the first listen. Nor the third or even the sixty third!

That vocal display just isn't worth the effort. There is no talent.
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 06:12:59 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsN5SELFjr8&search=Nile

How can any record company accept this piece of work with that sorry excuse for vocals and release it?? no
Cos it's fucking good maybe??

Yeah I get your point on the vocals and I'd prefer to hear the words clearly but it's Death Metal, that's what you get.  It's powerful music.  I think once you get over the fact it's not traditional blues or old skool metal vocals you'll learn to accept it, it takes a few listens.  Nile are awesome.  Some people who complain that "nothing good has come out of metal since metallica man" mut understand that it's 'progressed' into bands like Nile (although they've been around for years).  And check out the sweep picking on the solo, the drumming and the rhythm work, it's intense without being ott or just a noise.  That's one hell of a talented band.

Hmm, I really must get more death metal  Grin

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
Evolution
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 07:30:55 AM »

Yeah, I mean musically it's nothing terrible but my problem is just with those fucking vox  hihi
CD2006
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 01:02:08 PM »

not even worth wiping my ass with the booklet of this shit.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 05:15:57 PM »

Most people can't handle the heaviness of death metal. Even if they could get over the vocals, the complexity of the music is probably over their heads. The vocals are designed to supplement the music. Lyrics aren't important in death metal. 99% of the time they're about blood and guts anyway. The whole genre is for people who love music and don't care for image or lyrics at all. Most people can't handle that.

If you think there is no talent in those vocals, you're just wrong. That's all. You're just wrong. Those vocals take a lot of practice, and the vast majority of people who try them end up damaging their voices. It takes a lot of skill to do death vocals properly without harming the vocal cords.
Evolution
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 08:47:25 PM »

If it's more about the music, why not just be an instrumental band? You harm the music by having that growl over it. It's all you can concentrate on.
Beowulf
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 09:53:00 PM »

For a majority of people death metal is going to be an acquired taste. It took me six months of constantly being subjected to it by my roommate before I was able to appreciate the genre, and after a year I was taking the initiative in finding new bands. I'll agree that at first it all just sounds like noise, but after some exposure you start to pick up on the subtle differences that compose a bands' signature sound.

As for the vox, some bands like "Arch Enemy" have vocals that can be understood by almost anybody, others like "Cannibal Corpse" and "Deicide" are pretty easy to pick up with genre familiarity. With bands like "Nile" most people will be lucky to pick up a few words, but in those cases you're not supposed to put total focus on the vocals anyway - just think of them as another instrument; adding to the overall atmosphere. And in Nile's case all the lyrics are vague Egyptian references anyway, so unless you're an archeologist you're not really missing out.? hihi

...and while we're posting death metal you-tube videos how about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEHHOVZvvVQ

Angela Gossow...the hottest chick in metal, maybe in all of music period.? love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyXLrMXxB_M

Don't get me wrong I love the music of Napalm Death, but everytime I see them I laugh...they should really be wearing clownshoes for the whole effect.? rofl

« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 10:33:16 PM by Beowulf » Logged
CD2006
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 07:28:49 AM »

Most people can't handle the heaviness of death metal. Even if they could get over the vocals, the complexity of the music is probably over their heads. The vocals are designed to supplement the music. Lyrics aren't important in death metal. 99% of the time they're about blood and guts anyway. The whole genre is for people who love music and don't care for image or lyrics at all. Most people can't handle that.

If you think there is no talent in those vocals, you're just wrong. That's all. You're just wrong. Those vocals take a lot of practice, and the vast majority of people who try them end up damaging their voices. It takes a lot of skill to do death vocals properly without harming the vocal cords.

thanks for stripping away your own credibility, i can't believe i was actually going to give your post a chance! phew! Smiley
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 08:39:24 AM »

If it's more about the music, why not just be an instrumental band? You harm the music by having that growl over it. It's all you can concentrate on.

Most death metal bands practically ARE instrumental. That growl is like another instrument. It isn't used the way traditional vocals are. A lot of it really depends on the band. Nile is a rather heavy death metal band for newbies. You should start with some of the thrashy old stuff. I recommend listening to Death, Possessed, Cynic, and Atheist before moving on to the heavy stuff. These bands are some of the most popular death metal bands because they're not overwhelmingly heavy, but still musically interesting.

As for CD2006, you never had a chance at liking death metal with your attention span. Go back to listening to pop-punk or radio-approved classic rock, or whatever you listen to.
Olorin
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2006, 10:46:26 AM »

Man, that Nile vocalist aint got nuthin' on this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1llySiDjRo&search=spongebob%20rocks
Olorin
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 11:01:32 AM »

Incase you dont believe me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvLDX6OYvoQ&search=spongebob
Evolution
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2006, 11:03:46 AM »

Whilst I have the chance, can I pick your brains about "Gorguts" Walk? Do they employ similar growly vocals? I've heard them touted highly by some and wanted your thoughts.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2006, 11:05:50 AM »

Most death metal bands practically ARE instrumental. That growl is like another instrument. It isn't used the way traditional vocals are. A lot of it really depends on the band. Nile is a rather heavy death metal band for newbies. You should start with some of the thrashy old stuff. I recommend listening to Death, Possessed, Cynic, and Atheist before moving on to the heavy stuff. These bands are some of the most popular death metal bands because they're not overwhelmingly heavy, but still musically interesting.

As for CD2006, you never had a chance at liking death metal with your attention span. Go back to listening to pop-punk or radio-approved classic rock, or whatever you listen to.

excellent post Walk! couldn't have said it better myself ok

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: