Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 20, 2024, 08:22:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228089 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Roskilde !!!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Roskilde !!!  (Read 20831 times)
Martina
Headliner

What I thought was beautiful...

« Reply #120 on: July 01, 2006, 07:33:13 AM »

wow.

thats REALLY great review.
thanks.I enjoyed while reading it ok

''hey dude,you wanna go home?,i say,do you wanna go home?,if you do,we will gladly help you'' -axl rose, melbourne 1988
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2006, 07:45:27 AM »

Excellent review.  Damn, I wish I was there!   yes

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2006, 08:00:38 AM »

Thanks for the review RF!

See you next week in Oslo! Cheesy

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2006, 08:22:27 AM »

Nice review rainfox. Like your insight and commentary also. Only one thing I dont agree with though

- Setlists are a fluctuating thing in the world of Guns N' Roses.

from what ive read the setlist is kinda the same more or less from each show so far. . Dizzy's solo changes, but thats about it.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2006, 08:45:18 AM »

from what ive read the setlist is kinda the same more or less from each show so far. . Dizzy's solo changes, but thats about it.

The songs might be the same (with some songs being dropped/added at certain shows), but they switch the order around.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
wells
VIP

!!

« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2006, 08:58:29 AM »

Thanks for the review RF! One of the best ones so far... You deserve all the credit so do the new guys in GNR Grin
Madagascar88
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #126 on: July 01, 2006, 10:07:05 AM »

holy shit! RF has just proved wrong my theory that noone on this board has an IQ greater than 64!?
wells
VIP

!!

« Reply #127 on: July 01, 2006, 10:12:11 AM »

holy shit! RF has just proved wrong my theory that noone on this board has an IQ greater than 64!?

well thank you ...  Roll Eyes

board members  Tongue
Rainfox
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #128 on: July 02, 2006, 02:55:22 AM »

Thank you all.

The Danish media really pissed me off. I've been in the 'biz' for almost 16 years but never written for a corporate rag (and no, Cobain, they don't always suck) and I know a lot of people.

The people in this case - Thomas Treo from Ekstra Bladet, Steffen Jungersen from BT, Erik Jensen from Politiken and Thomas S?ie from Berlingske are *NOT* the fastest animals in the woods. Not the sharpest knives in the drawer. Their reviews were so prejudiced and dumb - truly DUMB - that I actually started to worry about the great country of Denmark for a while ( - as those four have 80% of the newspaper market)...? Tongue

Anyway... GREAT show.? You'd want to get this boot.? I'm searching high and low for it.

And if you get it... When Axl says: ".. in fact, if I lie down like this.." in regard to the Stockholm incident, he DID lie down and the crowd laughed their ass off. It was hilarious.

peace

grog mug
Legend

« Reply #129 on: July 02, 2006, 03:18:22 AM »

great review RF...I read your review drunk as hell over here and it was great.  I usually don't read posts that long...but man it was WELL worth it!
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #130 on: July 02, 2006, 12:51:58 PM »

Hey all! I'm back home from the Roskildefestival! Since the death accident in 2000 the security is really tight! First I stood in line to get in to the box closest to the stage. Ande when I finally thought I was in there was yet another box so I couldn't go up front. So I stood and hung around for a while, got bored and thirsty. So was in a line for beers through Jungle and I't so easy. Two days after the concert festival organizers admittded that the security was too tight at  the GNR show. I could clearly see there were a lot of space left up front so that was a bummer. Sad

Anyhow, since I couldn't get up front I concentrated on getting even more drunk in the far back beer Robin Finck's play I dig a lot yeah. The Sweden joke was great I missed IRS and Madagascar. His voice was amazing. That it said in te review in the festival paper aswell. But their headline was: "The guest who wouldn't leave", the reviewer thought the show was too long.. GNR just can't win over the press on this tour. Complaining about too long shows and that the band are playing too well Huh Fuck them!

The fireworks was terrific, the sound awesome. The song I think enjoyed the most is The Blues because it's constantly in my head right now the way he sings it on this tour. I was really really proud to see GNR for the second time in a week at my fourth stay at the Roskilde festival. GNR were winning the crowd ok

It really gotta be the greatest festival in the world! Everbody has to go! Rob Halford was there as a festival goer, how cool is that!? Thank you Danmark, Roskilde and GNR see next fuckin year beer

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
DemocracyRose
« Reply #131 on: July 02, 2006, 05:40:43 PM »

In todays version of Ekstra Bladet(danish paper) are there a little mention about Axl and Lars Ulrich drinking champagne together in Copenhagen. It was in nightclub(NASA)...

Pretty cool i think... ok
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #132 on: July 02, 2006, 05:53:23 PM »

Thank you very much for the reviews.

Really good read, Rainfox. I didn't know you're a writer and a danish.

my theory that noone on this board has an IQ greater than 64!?

wrong board.
Rainfox
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #133 on: July 03, 2006, 02:27:41 AM »

Lars and Axl?

Now, that's news. Print it, EB!  Wink

NASA is the number one exclusive night club in Copenhagen.

/RF

a.k.a. Dovey
VIP

Does the walker choose the path?

« Reply #134 on: July 03, 2006, 03:25:28 AM »

My review of the Roskilde show. I don't normally comment on my colleagues, but the whole corps here in Denmark - 5 major newspapers - are so blatantly moronic (and get stuff wrong - songs, sound, clothing) that it's their ignorance and prejudices AGAINST Axl speaking - not their journalistic skills.

Live and let live

- An exuberant Axl Rose triumphs at Roskilde

Roskilde Festival
June 29th 2006

Guns N' Roses
Orange Stage, 21:00

RO Ltd.

While rainclouds had threatened the merry festival goers all day, the sun would finally burn them away just before dusk. Expectations were sky high as Guns N' Roses were set to kick off the famous Roskilde Festival.

Not only were they coming across the pond with five years of wild raves from the serious music press in tow, it had been 13 years since they last visited Denmark.

Taking the stage around a quarter to ten, Guns N' Roses 'Version 2.0' were greeted by a roaring 70,000 strong crowd, as the festival lapped up the last rays of an orange-yellow sunset.

Guitarist Robin Finck teased with the opening notes of "Welcome to the Jungle" and soon a very familiar wail sliced the evening air: "DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE FUCK YOU ARE?".

The sound was brilliant, crisp and clean, with perfect volume for the massive grounds that almost circle the orange tent of the stage. Frequently, Orange Stage has had sound problems but not tonight. It was crystal.

And there he was, this mercurial frontman, this Howard Hughes of Hard Rock, this Ayatollah of rock n' rolla. Axl Rose. Looking fit and happy, with pulled back braided hair, a nicely groomed goatee and a rather impressive six-pack for a 44-year old, he started the show in top gear and never let up. Darting across the stage not missing a note, you might have needed to pinch yourself to realize it was 2006 and not 1992.

Drummer Brian Mantia was home with his pregnant wife and substitute Frank Ferrer let know he meant business. As the band ripped into the punkish "It's So Easy", coupled with bassist Tommy Stinson and guitarist Richard Fortus, they easily (pun intended) made a case for the tightest rhythm section in all of rock n' roll. Straight on to "Mr. Brownstone", that had the audience swaying in unison like a wave.

Ofcourse, there is no Slash in Guns N' Roses these days and there hasn't been for ten years. In fact, this so called 'new' line-up has been together longer now than the old one. Much has been made of Rose keeping the band name and the shockadelica media unanimously seem to agree that he alone is the bad guy. Because you can't carry an almost new line-up under the same name, see.

What? Okay, let's see then. Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Toto, KISS, Marillion, Iron Maiden, M?torhead, AC/DC. To name but a few. There's even a new guitarist and bass player in The Rolling Stones for those that really know their trivia. Hell, Black Sabbath made albums and toured without Ozzy. Remember?

Most people don't want to.

They just want to give Axl Rose a hard time.

That's headlines, that's easy street in journalism and that's money in the bank. This however also fueled by the main man happily living under the papparazzi radar for the last 13 years, and not giving interviews, not allowing photographers up front at gigs and not - basically - giving a single whistle. They hate that. They really do hate that.

There's a lot of dumbfounded and blatantly ignorant malice involved. On the path to some kind of constructive critisism the Danish media veered off course, with lame and laughable reviews not only getting songs wrong, but focusing on Rose's attire (and getting it wrong even) and some accusing him of having no voice anymore. Mindboggling idiocy. Beyond stupidity.

Well, isn't it fabulous that Rose could care less?

Amused and in seemingly great spirits this evening, Rose was talkative and made a few (quite hilarious) comments about his recent arrest - and blackmailed confession - for a scuffle with a "rent-a-cop" in Stockholm two days earlier. Clearly also in awe of playing this historic festival for the first time, Rose mentioned its fabled history and charity proceeds. He also managed to display some lighthearted and needed self-irony.

His mesmerizing voice intact, Axl however seemingly also wanted to showcase his comrades on this tour. Keyboardist Dizzy Reed ran elegantly and passionately through a rendition of David Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust".

While the band is exquisite rock n' roll to the ears, it's a circus extravaganza to the eyes. This becomes especially apparent when guitarist Ron Thal's introduction (by Rose) is straight out of Star Wars, and his foot-shaped bee guitar (go figure) breaks between his hands mid-solo on the left side of the stage. Not intentional. But it could have been. Later, he would redeem himself with a poignant instrumental of "Don't Cry" as 70,000 throats subbed for Rose.

By the sixth song, a refined, bluesy back-to-basics "Knocking on Heavens Door" with a lavish vocal from a game Rose, the crowd hits a frenzy. To constant chants of "Guns! And! Roses!", Axl comments with a shit-eating grin: "Hey, do that at all the other concerts here."

From a distance, the new band looks like a weird bunch of collectible action figures. As a musical unit, they exhibit a rare feel and musicianship. The latter blaringly obvious to anyone who's ever remotely played an instrument. Lead axe-man Finck is the vortex and the Slash-replacement. He's got an unadulterated hard-nosed but soft-souled style of play and nowhere is it more apparent than in the new songs. "Better" is built on a gorgeous, classic GN'R riff and it almost slipped right in alongside the classics tonight. The title song to the upcoming album - "Chinese Democracy" - is a grungy and punchy little nugget. These tunes went over well.

There were pauses between some songs, as the band either regrouped or - as they're known to do - chose the next song. Setlists are a fluctuating thing in the world of Guns N' Roses. This would sometimes make for some annoying breaks and for more fodder to the media conspiracy theorists - is Axl out of breath? Doing coke? Changing clothes? Yes, all of those things. Now shut up.

The streetwise rocker "Out Ta Get Me" from the 1987 debut album "Appetite for Destruction" could have been the highlight if not for the song that followed. On this beautiful Summer evening with a picture-perfect sunset, the best was yet to come. From stage left.

In rolls the grand piano and Axl Rose himself orchestrates a stunning "November Rain". Simply stunning. "This is a really long song... those lighters get really fucking hot don't they?", he acknowledges before the outro, the crowd going delirious.

Hot indeed. What a show. While some of the classics were played with grit and heart, others were stretched and greased a bit. Suited them well. "Nightrain" sounded to its name - a monstrous freight train - and showcloser "Paradise City" was more organic and convivial than in the old band version.

When Fortus and Finck duelled out a brave rendition of Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful", it was exactly the kind of both surprising - and intelligent - art-rockeau fun that personifies this new band. It also makes any form of reunion with the old members seem irrefragable.

This was a truly triumphant night for Guns N' Roses and the Roskilde Festival. Even more so for the main man, who's constant devilish smile maybe said it best after all.

An anniversary of sorts for this reporter - my tenth Roskilde Festival - I have never experienced a greater vibe in front of the ruthless Orange Stage. Not even Metallica in 2003. This stage normally eats bands for a living. Guns N' Roses looked right at home there and for just well over 2 hours, they brought their own little rock n' roll jungle to Roskilde.

by RF

Smiley

Mate that was an absolute joy to read that review. After all the negative and quite frankly wrong reviews of the band so far on tour. To read this was a breath of fresh air. I personally felt like that after the Hammersmith and Download perfomances, it was so upsetting to read the reviews from so called journalists after those amazing performances. So to wake up this morning and read this is fantastic! Thankyou! Mike

war
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #135 on: July 06, 2006, 08:48:59 AM »

An exelent review RF. I was at the festival and your review totally reflects my opinion on the show. I hate how critics love to bash Axl, but then again I know that they can't be speaking for the rest of us at the concert when they rate the show 2/6, like the Roskilde-festival paper did! Everyone had an awsome time and Axl's voice sounded like he just recorded Appetite for Destruction a month ago. Going to a GNR concert has been a dream of mine since I first listened to them 1988, and they really lived up to all expectations.

Greetins from Iceland... WAR
DemocracyRose
« Reply #136 on: July 06, 2006, 10:17:29 AM »

DR2 in Denmark will show some clip, tomorrow night, from the GNR concert at Roskilde... Smiley

http://www.dr.dk/DR2/Musikprogrammet/index.htm

WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2006, 10:37:01 AM »

great review rainfox. change some passages and i could`ve written it myself about rock am ring peace

and how do you know they show a clip of gnr??

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
CD2006
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #138 on: July 06, 2006, 11:19:46 AM »

best show i've ever been to. watching axl infront of me was unreal, he was 10-15 metres away and he was in good spirits the entire evening, and his voice, you have to hear it live to know how powerful it is. simply amazing. Cool the whole show gave me goosebumps, with nightrain and november rain and better being the highlights, if i was to choose any. awesome show and i can't wait to see them in oslo. Cool
Rainfox
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #139 on: July 06, 2006, 11:40:27 AM »

Thanks for the heads up on Roskilde w./ GNR on DR2 tomorrow!

HOWEVER.. prepare yourselves. They could get slaughtered. The local Roskilde Paper down there gave them 2/6.

I mean.. it's just really a ....  rant

Everyone was so happy, sound great, performance brilliant, band tight, Axl in full pipes and joking, weather perfect...  DAMN.

But we'll see. It'll be interesting.

RF

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: