Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 09:22:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Supernova, rock star is on now
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Supernova, rock star is on now  (Read 53971 times)
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #160 on: August 16, 2006, 09:37:46 AM »

dilana has not had the best of songs to work with, yet she has made every single performance a memorable one.

I've been bored of her since week 2 (except for the cyndi lauper tune) she's got no depth IMO no I mean she's one of the best singers there but i can imagine getting bored of her quick peace

and fuck she is getting so cocky and wearing more and more revealing clothes...what happened to the brooding rocker chick that could snap at any moment and was all about Gilby's statement that women are more than sex objects...now she wears Stilletto's and Corresettes and shakes her booty at the supernova platform...c'mon man
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 09:40:42 AM by Neemo » Logged

MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #161 on: August 16, 2006, 10:02:37 AM »

dilana and lukas are both cocky. none of them has impressed me in a while.

Ryan and Toby seem a lot more interesting to me.

Chinese Democracy!
sandman
Legend

« Reply #162 on: August 16, 2006, 11:01:39 AM »

SN's album will be released on november 21....

SUPERNOVA ? the new all-star band featuring ex-METALLICA bassist Jason Newsted, M?TLEY CR?E drummer Tommy Lee and former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Gilby Clarke ? will release it self-titled debut album on November 21. The CD, which is being produced by Butch Walker (AVRIL LAVIGNE, BOWLING FOR SOUP, PINK), can currently be pre-ordered through the official SUPERNOVA store. If you pre-order the album, you will receive a free bonus collector's edition DVD which features audition interview footage with the 15 finalists ? not available anywhere else. Unfortunately this pre-order is available to United States residents only.

SUPERNOVA is using the "Rock Star" TV program to search for a lead singer from a pool of 15 contestants selected in auditions around the world.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #163 on: August 17, 2006, 07:36:55 AM »

Dilana fucked up the lyrics...obviously nobody noticed....Toby was the best IMO and the Bongos was a great touch

How the fuck was he in the bottom 3!!!

I say Zayra, Patrice and Storm in the bottom

I noticed.  The 2nd chorus she sang the last chorus, instead of the repeat of the first, like she was supposed to.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
mdttkk
Rocker

« Reply #164 on: August 17, 2006, 07:44:50 AM »

I hate this corporate rock star bullshit.
american idol, cool, whatever, as long as i don't have to listen to it, I don't really care
but this shit is such a joke. it doesn't happen like magic. why don't these people make their own bands, write their own music. you know why music is declining in quality? because how can an artist be an artist with the fucking american public making their decisions?
tommy lee just likes when he's the centre of attention, and gilby let's face it, has nothing better to do.

i agree with some of what you said, mostly the corporate bullshit.  but ive actually been tuning into the show every night and i can say that alot of the performers were in bands and write and play instruments.  so its not totally like american idol, there is talent in it.  but i have to admit the more shows like this and artists coming up this way is definatley declining the quality in music.  from what ive heard of the (2 i think) official tracks supernova have played i dont like the sound or lyrics.  sounds like bubblegum rock to me (new term maybe i dunno, in my own words id describe it as cheesy rock thats the complete opposite of a band like GNR or velvet revolver)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #165 on: August 17, 2006, 07:44:56 AM »

patrice will go home tonight. she's awful. i hate that dude ryan but he's been good the last few weeks.

and i disagree big time with the argument many have amde that a good song = good performance; and bad song = weak performance.

talented performers change arrangements and bring something extra to the table. dilana has not had the best of songs to work with, yet she has made every single performance a memorable one.

And I disagree with your disagreement, at least partially. Smiley

Even the guys said it last night: ?Storm sang the song just fine. ?It was the song, itself, they didn't like. ?They wanted her to do the Cake "version" (and, IMHO, they're probably right), rather than the Gloria Gaynard version, with a more ironic edge to it. ?Personally, I've heard the Cake version. ?It still sucks. ?THAT song, in a rock competition, is going to pretty much suck. ?At least to me.  It always sounds the same, no matter who plays it, or who sings the lyrics.

Oh, and Dilana: ?She's gotten great songs to work with, I think. ?She's gotten songs then lend themselves to different arrangements and styles. ?They might have been outside the rock mainstream, but that doesn't make them "bad songs". ?The Cyndi Lauper tune is a great example. ?Time After Time, when you look at the musical structure and the lyrics IS, actually, a great song....simply because it sounds good and "works" on a simple piano or tricked out, sped up, and played by a guitar heavy rock band. ?Something you can't say, really, for "I will Survive".

So, I agree that you can take some songs and turn them into good performances. ?But there are some songs that just don't lend themselves to that, especially in this venue...and I think Storm got one.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 07:47:52 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #166 on: August 17, 2006, 08:59:11 AM »

patrice will go home tonight. she's awful. i hate that dude ryan but he's been good the last few weeks.

and i disagree big time with the argument many have amde that a good song = good performance; and bad song = weak performance.

talented performers change arrangements and bring something extra to the table. dilana has not had the best of songs to work with, yet she has made every single performance a memorable one.

And I disagree with your disagreement, at least partially. Smiley

Even the guys said it last night: ?Storm sang the song just fine. ?It was the song, itself, they didn't like. ?They wanted her to do the Cake "version" (and, IMHO, they're probably right), rather than the Gloria Gaynard version, with a more ironic edge to it. ?Personally, I've heard the Cake version. ?It still sucks. ?THAT song, in a rock competition, is going to pretty much suck. ?At least to me.? It always sounds the same, no matter who plays it, or who sings the lyrics.

Oh, and Dilana: ?She's gotten great songs to work with, I think. ?She's gotten songs then lend themselves to different arrangements and styles. ?They might have been outside the rock mainstream, but that doesn't make them "bad songs". ?The Cyndi Lauper tune is a great example. ?Time After Time, when you look at the musical structure and the lyrics IS, actually, a great song....simply because it sounds good and "works" on a simple piano or tricked out, sped up, and played by a guitar heavy rock band. ?Something you can't say, really, for "I will Survive".

So, I agree that you can take some songs and turn them into good performances. ?But there are some songs that just don't lend themselves to that, especially in this venue...and I think Storm got one.

but storm didn't even sing it well. and more importantly, "i will survive" has soooooooo much emotion in it. and i think someone even said the lyrics are applicable to the competition, yet she had no emotion at all.

no emotion, wrong arrangement, and average singing. that's why her performance sucked.

and dave even made my argument for me. he pointed out a song someone sang last year that was ridiculous (i think it was a britney spears song). but he made it work. any song can used to display your talents.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #167 on: August 17, 2006, 09:03:51 AM »

Storm is getting on my nerves...Dilana rocked with the band though last night, but then pissed me off by crying during Magni's performance...give it a fucking rest hihi

Zayra actually rocked last night but too little too late for her...now the eliminations get tough Undecided Ryan, Toby and Magni are really stepping it up while Patrice seems on the way out....Storm, Dilana and Lukas are kinda in a stalemate at this point

Goldie
« Reply #168 on: August 18, 2006, 05:49:50 AM »

HOORAY!! Grin
Z-bitch is gone! Ding Dong the bitch is gone! She may have talent, but not for Super Nova.
Okay, I'm bummed though. Was anyone else bored with the "rockin" song Super Nova performed? They are constantly telling the contestants to "rock it out" more, but they need to take thier own advice!
I think Patrice should be next on the chopping block.
Agree- its a stalemate but I think the top 3 are Dilana, Lukas, and Magni. Not my choices. I would chose Dilana, Storm, and Toby.
I wish there was a way to vote for someone to go home instead of you favorite.
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #169 on: August 18, 2006, 09:22:12 AM »

Okay, I'm bummed though. Was anyone else bored with the "rockin" song Super Nova performed? They are constantly telling the contestants to "rock it out" more, but they need to take thier own advice!

Yeah, that performance wont have me waiting online to buy the CD when it comes out.

I also received an e-mail that the contestants from Rockstar Supernova will be appearing at Universal Studios Citywalk in Hollywood, CA next Friday (08/25/06). No details on what was happening.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #170 on: August 18, 2006, 11:47:44 AM »

but storm didn't even sing it well. and more importantly, "i will survive" has soooooooo much emotion in it. and i think someone even said the lyrics are applicable to the competition, yet she had no emotion at all.

no emotion, wrong arrangement, and average singing. that's why her performance sucked.

and dave even made my argument for me. he pointed out a song someone sang last year that was ridiculous (i think it was a britney spears song). but he made it work. any song can used to display your talents.

Dave, and the rest of Supernova, disagree with you (as do I) on how Storm sang the song (vocals, we're talking).  They said she sounded fine.  I agree....her vocals were as good as most of the other singers.

As for "emotion" in "I will survive", it's cheesy, overdone, half baked, sappy, crappy emotion.  That's why the song sucks so badly.  If you take it seriously, you look like a sap.  If you don't take it seriously (the irony angle Navarro wanted), you end up with a version like Cake's..which also sucks.

And I stand by my opinin that the reason her performance sucked (and it was her first sub par performance) was because the material sucked.

Dave might have said what he did about the Britney song...but I saw the guy do it.  It was terrible.  He made it work because he embraced the "terribleness" of it.....but I'm not sure a Gloria Gaynard song embraces enough pop culture irony to make the same sort of performance "work".  I suppose she COULD have tried, but I'm not sure it would have been any less of a train wreck than what we got.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #171 on: August 18, 2006, 11:52:07 AM »

I thought the song was OK.  Not great, not wonderful, but OK. 

I could certainly hear the Motley Crue influences, though...but very little of Jason's roots, which I think they need more of.  Gilby....I'm not sure Gilby HAS a real "sound".  Don't get me wrong...he's a good guitarist...but I've heard him play all sorts of stuff, and he doesn't seem to write/perform with a particular style.  With most signature guitarists, I can pick out who they are just by hearing them play something.  With Gilby (and again, not taking away from the dude) it just sort of sounds like "generic guitar player A".

And the song really, really, really displayed why they need another guitarist playing rhythm.

Together again,
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #172 on: August 18, 2006, 11:59:42 AM »

I thought the song was OK.? Not great, not wonderful, but OK.?

I could certainly hear the Motley Crue influences, though...but very little of Jason's roots, which I think they need more of.? Gilby....I'm not sure Gilby HAS a real "sound".? Don't get me wrong...he's a good guitarist...but I've heard him play all sorts of stuff, and he doesn't seem to write/perform with a particular style.? With most signature guitarists, I can pick out who they are just by hearing them play something.? With Gilby (and again, not taking away from the dude) it just sort of sounds like "generic guitar player A".

And the song really, really, really displayed why they need another guitarist playing rhythm.

Yeah which is a bonus in Magni and Ryan's favor

the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #173 on: August 18, 2006, 12:04:59 PM »

I can't stand Patrice's trill that she uses on every song in the same singing style.

However, her last performance was her best.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #174 on: August 18, 2006, 05:27:21 PM »

How can any self respecting rock fan like Ryan Star?

This guy is a gayer Rob Thomas lookin dude who is just flat out goofy.

DiLana is clearly the best. I think people are hating on her simply cause she is head and shoulders above the other competitors.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #175 on: August 18, 2006, 08:03:56 PM »

i think that potentially qany one of them could be the frontman (or woman) now.

My personal favorite is Lukas ok

Sparksry
VIP

Keep Calm and Welcome to the Jungle

« Reply #176 on: August 18, 2006, 08:40:57 PM »

Well ryan star i dont think could be the front man i dont lik em

So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?
    - Stewie Griffin-
Alina
Rocker

« Reply #177 on: August 19, 2006, 05:56:30 PM »

I can't stand Patrice's trill that she uses on every song in the same singing style.

However, her last performance was her best.
  I think she is the next to go . I hate her she is very annoying

sandman
Legend

« Reply #178 on: August 20, 2006, 12:46:34 PM »

Dave, and the rest of Supernova, disagree with you (as do I) on how Storm sang the song (vocals, we're talking).? They said she sounded fine.? I agree....her vocals were as good as most of the other singers.

As for "emotion" in "I will survive", it's cheesy, overdone, half baked, sappy, crappy emotion.? That's why the song sucks so badly.? If you take it seriously, you look like a sap.? If you don't take it seriously (the irony angle Navarro wanted), you end up with a version like Cake's..which also sucks.

And I stand by my opinin that the reason her performance sucked (and it was her first sub par performance) was because the material sucked.

Dave might have said what he did about the Britney song...but I saw the guy do it.? It was terrible.? He made it work because he embraced the "terribleness" of it.....but I'm not sure a Gloria Gaynard song embraces enough pop culture irony to make the same sort of performance "work".? I suppose she COULD have tried, but I'm not sure it would have been any less of a train wreck than what we got.

you're right. i disagree with dave (and you) on how well she sung the song. slightly disagree is a better way of putting it....i said it was average.

but that's not really what we're discussing here.

we're discussing the fact that her performance sucked, and whether it's possible for it to have been better. we can agree to disagree, cause i believe ANY song can be performed well. and "i will survive" should have been better. song selection is not an excuse.

dave obviously agrees with that point. and tommy's comment ("sauteed in wrong sauce") leads me to believe he agrees with that point as well. since as you pointed out, everyone thought her vocals were good. so something was obviously missing.

i also disagree with you that this was her first "sub-par" performance. she's had a couple average performances IMO. someone even stated her performances in recent weeks have been vulnerable (or something like that).

Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #179 on: August 20, 2006, 02:14:06 PM »

Dilana or Josh should win this.  yes

Ryan just seems to scream to me.

I can't stand Patrice.

Oh, and Goldie's posts are priceless!  hihi

Why don't you just....
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17 Go Up Print