Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 01:46:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228478 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Coroner
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coroner  (Read 3141 times)
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« on: July 01, 2006, 01:00:08 PM »

This is one cool band. They had everything Megadeth had: amazing technical thrash and awful vocals.  Wink Somehow, they never made it big, which is a shame. While all of their first 4 albums are essential, my personal favorite is Mental Vortex, which has perhaps the coolest thrash song ever, Metamorphosis. Everything about this album and song shows confidence and backs it up. In fact, I think Coroner surpass Megadeth until Megadeth's peak, Rust In Peace.

They were roadies for Celtic Frost, so perhaps they were simply fated to be a great band that no one noticed.  Undecided
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 03:58:01 AM »

They had everything Megadeth had: amazing technical thrash and awful vocalsWink

WHAT THE FUCK Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 11:02:25 PM »

Notice the winky. They're technically awful, but they suit the music. I personally enjoy them, but I realize that they're bad from a classic vocal perspective. It's kind of like how I enjoy 80's action movies, even if I know they're artistically void.

Check out Coroner and you'll understand. The similarities to Megadeth are numerous.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 12:55:55 PM »

No love for tech-thrash here?  Undecided
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 09:46:09 AM »

Just added to my torrents shopping cart  Wink

I love technical thrash and death metal.  Megadeth are my 2nd favourite band (after GN'R0) and I agree Rust In Piece is a classic moment in metal.  I get the vocal thing, it's Mustaine's only flaw.  Although I like the vocals and it suits the music, they just lack in power somewhat.

Have also just got into Annihilator, am downloading Nuclear Assault too.  I think the best old skool band I've heard recently are Atheist - I tried to start a thread on this awesome band but no bugger responded to it!!  Like Metallica though their bassist died, so many great talents seem to have gone too early.

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 03:12:25 PM »

Atheist are classic death metal. I think they're the closest thing to later Death, for fans of prog-death. If you like them, then check out Cynic.

Annihilator's only excellent album is their debut, Alice In Hell. Everything else ranges from good to terrible. As for Nuclear Assault, I've never heard them. I'll get around to it sometime.
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 10:56:41 PM »

If theyre anything like Megadeth im definitly intrested. I'll check it out and tell ya all think later...

gnrevolution.com
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 12:04:40 PM »

Got some Coroner, I like.  Really getting into my thrash/speed/death at the moment, this is definately a very worthy band.

The Four Horsemen (S, M, M and A) were all great but they cast too big a shadow on other bands of the time (Testament, Exodus, Coroner etc).  I suppose the media can only promote so many bands from one genre  Huh

Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 05:21:18 PM »

You forgot the German trinity: Sodom, Destruction, and Kreator.  peace There's also Annihilator, Overkill, Watchtower, Razor, Dark Angel, Death Angel, and Metal Church. And those are just the mainstream bands!  hihi
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 05:48:07 PM »

I'm sure I can find enough room on my hard drive to squeeze a few of those babies in  yes

I've also seen Cacophony listed as a thrash band but I would argue they're more like a 'virtuoso' band, as the vocals and lyrics (without paying too much attention I must admit) just sound like an afterthought.  Still good to listen to of course as Jason Becker and Marty Friedman is one hell of a prospect, you'd normally be lucky to get just one of them in a band.

A thought just occurred to me.  Compared to some of the bands I've listened to I think the main difference between the big names and the ones that didn't make it big is that the big bands have songs that stand out as much as the music.  Peace Sells, Master Of Puppets, Raining Blood, Caught In A Mosh etc are all classic 'songs' as well as just great thrash metal.

Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 02:27:20 PM »

Cacophony is usually called shred metal, sometimes neoclassical.
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006, 03:29:38 PM »

Just listening to the album Mental Vortex and remembered this thread, which deserves a bump  Cool

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: