Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 08:48:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Stradlin + Rose 2003 & 2005/2006 collaborations???
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stradlin + Rose 2003 & 2005/2006 collaborations???  (Read 3400 times)
Minneapolisnewsman
« on: June 30, 2006, 05:28:08 PM »

I have a strong feeling the two have written, and possibly recorded some material together recently.? Wink I don't know who was backing them, but I do think that the longterm plan is to exclude this material from Chinese Democracy.? I think the plan is to have it in the "can," along with the 1995 Rose+McKagan+Stradlin+Sorum collaborations, and 2003 Stradlin+McKagan+Slash+Sorum collaborations for a possible reunion.? I would assume, they have at least 20 well developed song sketches/demos ready, in addition to some possible covers.? ? Moreover, I would love to see, the old band attempt Pressure Drop, live, along with a few other Stradlin penned songs (the man is the best songwriter of the old band--IMHO)!!?

With that said, I do think that there will be at least two songs on Chinese Democracy, that Izzy has collaborated on--one of which I think is a song the band worked on and possibly recorded in early May, 2006--while in New York.? ?

Besides Izzy, does anyone expect any of the 97/98 Moby/Chris Vrenna/Huge material to be included on Chinese Democracy?? What about This I Love, which I think was recorded in 1995/96 timeframe??
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 05:30:25 PM by Minneapolisnewsman » Logged
smishkey
Rocker

Let's go Mets!

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 05:35:29 PM »

So, what gives you that strong feeling?  Care to elaborate? Huh

"They're lead singer-haters"  Scott, 4-23-08 on Howard
Origen
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 05:36:08 PM »

I think the plan is to have it in the "can," along with the 1995 Rose+McKagan+Stradlin+Sorum collaborations, and 2003 Stradlin+McKagan+Slash+Sorum collaborations for a possible reunion

I think it's a nice thought/plan but that's most likely a fairytale.
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 06:00:48 PM »

I think the plan is to have it in the "can," along with the 1995 Rose+McKagan+Stradlin+Sorum collaborations, and 2003 Stradlin+McKagan+Slash+Sorum collaborations for a possible reunion

Funny!  These sessions, barring the earlier 2006 session (Axl did touch on this in the Trunk interview), are documented.
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 06:01:51 PM »

Ignore this
fridayfan13
Rocker

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 06:07:45 PM »

its probably not that complex, but i believe that Izzy may have been hanging with Axl while he was recording some stuff. i have no doubt that Axl wanted Izzy's thoughts on his work, and i'd bet that Izzy recorded a couple of things(just screwing around of course).
Origen
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 06:11:52 PM »

Funny!? These sessions, barring the earlier 2006 session (Axl did touch on this in the Trunk interview), are documented.

I wasn't talking about the actual material I was talking about the "plan" to use it for a reunion, to me that's looking to much into it, just my opinion.
Eric
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 06:21:36 PM »

It's possible they may be writing, but as Axl said in the Eddie Trunk interview, Izzy could change his mind about anything the next day-I would be hesitant to expect any long term plan with Izzy in mind-I would not be surprised if he is writing with Axl, though
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 10:58:08 AM »

It's possible they may be writing, but as Axl said in the Eddie Trunk interview, Izzy could change his mind about anything the next day-I would be hesitant to expect any long term plan with Izzy in mind-I would not be surprised if he is writing with Axl, though

It's well documented, that Izzy may not tour in a possible future reunion.  My gut tells me, though, that this run in Europe was a feeling out period for him, as well as Axl to some extent.   They really had fun, and when Izzy is on stage, Axl takes it to another level.  At the end of Think About You at Donnington, he sings to Izzy, and then just nails the final chorous line!

I know, that there was a song recorded in 1996 that Izzy penned for Axl.  Duff has mentioned it in some interviews.  Also, does anyone know if Izzy ever worked on This I Love, which is a song title that has been floating around since the late Illusion period?
mr.lance
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 11:22:22 AM »

I have been saying this since 05 Axl and Izzy are working toghter again .
Izzy is Axls best friend through out all of bullshit.
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2006, 11:31:06 AM »

I have been saying this since 05 Axl and Izzy are working toghter again .
Izzy is Axls best friend through out all of bullshit.

When the shit hit the fan in Dec 2002, Izzy was there for him.  They started Guns n' Roses--two guy's from W. Lafyette, IN.  It's funny, they must be on stage at Donnington just laughing, thinking, my god what a ride it's been since high school!!
Gargh!
Rocker

Danny Cockroach

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2006, 11:41:54 AM »

What did Izzy do in Dec. 2002?  Sorry, my knowledge of the 2002 era is a little lacking.

Welcome to the ZooFarm: www.myspace.com/dannycockrach

Please check us out and leave us some feedback.  If you live near us, it'd be great to see you at a show or something.  Rock on!
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2006, 12:19:50 PM »

What did Izzy do in Dec. 2002?? Sorry, my knowledge of the 2002 era is a little lacking.

Early 2002 finishing a solo album with Slash/Duff on it (recorded in Nov. and Dec. 2001), halfway the year releasing a solo album called On Down The Road and at the end of the year playing/recording with the Project.

Izzy and Duff recorded and demoed a total of 10 songs in 1995 meant for the new GN'R album, one of the songs is titled Down By The Ocean or Down By The Sea. He said Duff and him had a lot of fun and wrote/recorded those songs in a period of 8 days.

I think Izzy and Axl have re-started their friendship again since either late 2005 or beginning 2006. Izzy always left messages for Axl and he never replied, until one time in 2001 when he asked Izzy to play with them at RIR2 which he refused cause he was recording River. But I think since then there was no contact up until 2005 seeing that Axl made some negative Izzy comments during the 2002 tour.

The old recordings with Slash and Duff, which is some material from 1998 and two albums from late 2001 and late 2002 are completely finished. It's just up to Izzy to release them or not. I think Izzy will probably write some new stuff with Axl but so far hasn't done it yet, or record some stuff.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 12:22:23 PM by IzzyDutch » Logged
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2006, 12:22:46 PM »

Izzy and Duff recorded and demoed a total of 10 songs in 1995 meant for the new GN'R album, one of the songs is titled Down By The Ocean or Down By The Sea. He said Duff and him had a lot of fun and wrote/recorded those songs in a period of 8 days.

finally someone other than me mentions this song.
I tought I imagined reading about it 6 years ago Grin
FINALLY A PROOF THAT IM NOT GOING CRAZY!!!!

you dear sir, just became my hero Smiley

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2006, 12:24:24 PM »

^ Thanks Grin The article where Izzy mentiones it is posted by me somewhere in the Dead Horse section a short while ago, some Izzy related topic there.
IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2006, 12:30:15 PM »

Izzy interview from late 2001:

Didn't you listen to something of new Guns N' Roses?

No, I just saw a report on them in Q, in England. There was a photograph where Axl was not really to his advantage, he was large and puffed up. I hope that that sounds better than it looks. Axl called me when he had the plan to play Rock In Rio. I don't believe that he hoped to reform the group as a whole because I am the only one that he called, but, in any event, I declined the offer. Maybe he estimated that his group was not good enough, all the same they had rather positive reviews on the whole. Axl is really a special type, he's too hard to manage.

You were involved too much in your own projects to agree to follow him...
Yes, I already had this album in preparation and I prefer to leave on the road with my group, I find everything I need there without problems that occur when you're with Axl...

Popular Magazine 2001:

Is it true that you credited songs for the new Guns album, Chinese Democracy?

"In 95 Duff and me recorded songs for the band. We made a tape that went nowhere. Then, a couple of months ago I have a message on my answering machine: Yo! It's Axl, I need a copy of the songs that you did. There was one called "Down by the Ocean" or "Down by the Sea", they may have used it, I haven't come back to know nothing."

^ Also about that in another interview Izzy said he wrote/recorded them in LA in 8 days and that Axl wanted the rights of those songs... Izzy said no and Axl went to court for it, but he didn't win.
AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2006, 01:23:34 PM »

wasnt there some story that izzy and VR wrote songs and sent them to axl? songs that VR didnt use with weiland?  I wonder what ever happened to that material.  Im sure that has nothing to do with CD or GnR though. 
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2006, 02:10:49 PM »

wasnt there some story that izzy and VR wrote songs and sent them to axl? songs that VR didnt use with weiland?  I wonder what ever happened to that material.  Im sure that has nothing to do with CD or GnR though. 

I don't think they were ever given to Axl, but according to the 4 of them it was "the best instrumental GNR record to date". That may be a bit of bravado, but Izzy/Slash/Duff have written some awful good material in the past, so maybe they really were making some special stuff in 02 when Izzy seemed really motivated in the beginning of VR. If he was excited enough to want to go tour on it at the time, it couldn't be a pile of shit.
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2006, 02:12:43 PM »

wasnt there some story that izzy and VR wrote songs and sent them to axl? songs that VR didnt use with weiland?? I wonder what ever happened to that material.? Im sure that has nothing to do with CD or GnR though.?

Slash has said they wrote 10 or 12 songs with Izzy, and wrote them with "Guns" in mind--or he said something to the affect that the songs were perfect for Guns.

Needless to say, there is a lot of material ready to be worked on whenever they all decide to hash it out, and make the biggest comeback in rock history!!

When the Philly incident happened, cancelling the tour in 2002, I had someone tell me that Axl was speaking with Izzy fairly regularly at that point. ?I think Axl was really confused, and hurt at the sudden end of the 2002 tour. ?Knowing Izzy, there is no doubt that he has sent Axl material over the past ten years. ?We only get tidbits of info, but I am positive all of the old members have spoken to each other far more than they let on in public. ?

BTW, I still can't find it, but my same friend who is a studio musician had a demo copy of Down by the Sea at one time (or that is what he thought it was) and one other song from the 95 period, with Axl trying out some stuff over it. ? He thinks that they were close to having an album completed in 1995, but when Slash failed to stay and finish the needed lead guitar work, it was permanently shelved and the band imploded, forcing Axl to start from scratch. ?McKagan and Sorum hung around for awhile, and they brought Finck in (to replace Huge on rhythm), as they were still expecting Slash to come back. ?We all know that did not happen, and that is when they all decided to go their seperate ways. ?This seems like the story one gathers when reading interviews with the bandmembers.

My gut feeling is that something possibly went down in the Fall of 2005. ?Izzy and Axl were definitely speaking, and I think Slash and Axl were conversing at that point as well (the lawsuit press release). ?I really think, that there was some very serious discussions at that point about one or two large gigs with the original band, maybe as a way to resolve the lawsuits. ?Who knows, but if you are not familiar with the industry, do realize there is a desire on many levels by the old bandmembers, and the whole GNR team to prove to the world that they were/are the greatest hard rock band ever to grace the planet. ?I still feel they have at least two great records in them, and the potential to make a phenomenal, mature hard rock record. ?Duff, Izzy, and Axl are all very capable songwriters who have continued to practise, and work at improving in their trade.

I can't wait for the two Chinese Democracy records (possible third), as the new band is a phenomenal as well. ?I think after that we will see something in 2007/2008 brewing with the original guys--and I think Stinson will stay involved, as the touring rhythm player, or staying on bass.? I don't think Izzy would tour non-stop for forty or fifty dates.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 03:36:40 PM by Minneapolisnewsman » Logged
IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2006, 02:15:43 PM »

Nope, in late 2002 Izzy and "The Project" recorded 10 songs in a proffesional recording studio down the block from their rehearsel space. That happened at the same time when Kelly Shaeffer had his VR audition. Slash has said Izzy sang the songs and it was up to him to put it out. He also said that too him it was the best instrumental GN'R record ever..

I did hear that VR sent some of their own songs/demos to Axl, but it ain't the Izzy recordings that's for sure.

Also about the first post in this topic, I don't think Axl and Izzy have recorded songs recently, or that there is a can full of songs/demos (exception of the '95 demos) with Izzy material. Maybe they'll write and record in the future but it's highly unlikely so far. Also don't count on Izzy/VR/Slash/Duff recorded material that will be used for Axl to put vocals over or something. That stuff is already done and Izzy isn't a fan of re-recording old material. It's more likely that they'll write/record new songs then using old material. That's why he didn't play GN'R material in the Ju Ju Hounds despite fans asking cause he said it's much more exciting writing/recording/playing new stuff then the "ancient" GN'R songs.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: